The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've Read UNSCRIPTED!

HeresMyThing

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Sep 1, 2014
UNSCRIPTED is not a cozy book. It is designed to make you uncomfortable. So if you're looking for a hug box, look elsewhere. I often cringed as he went over mistakes that I have made. It's like having an older brother take you aside and show you were you are screwing up.

MJ is a deep thinker. You can tell he's been refining these ideas over a lifetime. It's not so much "new" information that no one has ever heard, it's the presentation and arrange of said information that packs the punch. He is always one step ahead of the reader as he anticipates questions and objections. This is battle tested knowledge. Every premise is supported with examples and metaphors.

UNSCRIPTED is not a rehash of TMF . He does revisit some themes (life in the slowlane sucks, CENTS, etc.) but they are in the service of the larger framework. This book is holistic: he lays out the big picture and then shows you how all the pieces fit together.

I've read hundreds of business books and none of them have explained "value" so clearly and completely. I'm left with no questions about it. This is knowledge I can apply every day for the rest of my life.

I have pages of notes. I was able to see where I've been going wrong in the process. (Lacking in value and feedback loops, mainly.) I had many of the pieces of entrepreneurship correct, but lacked the framework, sequences, and understanding to drive them. I am in not great shape financially right now, but I'm not depressed because I know the principles he teaches apply and work. I finally feel like I have a fighting chance.

PS. This book has already saved me $17. Yesterday, I was looking at a tempting bright shiny object, but now that I have a better understanding of how things work, I passed on it. thanks MJ.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
The last money system part of the book really makes me feel like an inadequate idiot...
I worked 40 hours a week for 2000 bucks a month for years, when 500k in vanguard could make me the same thing for barely 1 hour a month of work...

omfg... i wanna shoot myself...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Only 25% through so far, but really enjoying it. This is probably the first book I've ever read that didn't make me feel like an oddball. For the most part, I've lived an Unscripted life for a long long time. I don't watch TV, I'm not married, I don't even own a car. Among my friends, I'm surrounded by suburban mommy me-toos, and for a long time, I thought I should be one of them, because otherwise my future would be full of cats and loneliness. :jawdrop: Obviously, it's not, and there's perks to being the eccentric auntie. #1 being you can return the children to their parents. :cool:

Will post more when I'm done reading it, but MJ, I wanted you to know how much I'm enjoying it!

p.s. the part about 3rd grade and the car being from Santa Claus made me laugh. :smile:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Okay, this might be obvious to some of you but I only realized it now when I re-read some paragraphs from the money system chapter. A money system is in essence a perfect rental system. You rent money (that you earned thanks to your Fastlane business) to fund your ideal lifestyle. In a way, money here is your perfect employee working for you without any complaints and little management 24/7 while you do whatever you want. You still own a business in a way, but it's a "money rental" business.

When approached this way, I finally understand the whole point of the money system - and finally understand that it's not about the best yields, beating the index or whatever. It's about finding the safest (to ensure it's stable and predictable), but still as lucrative as possible, "job" for your money that will provide you with stable cash income, not some unrealized gains so you can brag how your portfolio supposedly "grew" by 15% this year. That's partly also while it has to be liquid - you don't want your money/employee to be stuck working in bad conditions without an option to escape them rapidly (ideally within seconds).

Bingo.

Any update on when the audio book will arrive?

The audiobook was finished over a month ago. Audible has not released it and I'm waiting on them. Once I get word it's been pushed out of their queue and onto the marketplace, I'll send out an email.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Done. We'll see what he says.

Probably nothing, most people aren't interested in changing their lives -- they just want a place where they can vent and share in common misery while enjoying the pats on the back.

10425479_888212564569223_2719855926590888194_n.jpg

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Read unscripted twice!

Also read the original multiple times. @MJ DeMarco don’t know if you realize this but back when your book first came out it was a HUGE hit in the PUA community. People talked about it nonstop.

Wow, had no idea. It recently must have been talked about as Unscripted recently jumped TMF in popularity.

This was from last month.

Unscripted-Best-Seller.png

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pre-ordered. Read it. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

What I found interesting was that when I first heard MJ speak two years ago at one of the meetups, it was different than what I had envisioned in my head. Truthfully, I had no basis for this other than to compare his speaking to the voice my mind created for him when I read through TMF . But when he delivered his keynote at the end of the meetup, I felt like you could really see his passion shine through and how important it was to him for you to understand the message. His words weren't spoken in a way that conveyed he was someone who was concerned that his delivery wasn't politically correct. So many authors and/or speakers cater to their audience and sacrifice the quality of message in order to deliver in a way that you as the audience want to hear it or so that it appeals to the masses.

Unscripted is a book that delivers an unfiltered and uncut message, written in MJ's true voice (to my ears at least), about choosing the path to entrepreneurship and breaking free from the script that so many follow day to day. MJ puts it all out there without pulling back the reigns and for me, it will probably require a second read to take it all in, just because there is so much value spread throughout the book.

Great job and as others have said, I expect this book to sit atop another best seller's list.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
And more gold GUMBALLS!

If I had to order the most profound messages in the book, I thnk this concept (and the EV of it) is in the top 5. Kinda surprised no one has commented on it. Makes wonder if people are reading, or skimming. :smuggy:

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Well, I finally finished Unscripted . Took me a good deal longer than I intended! I had hoped to have it done within the first few days.

So, The Millionaire Fastlane was a huge quake book for me. It shattered my notions of the world and set me on an entirely new path. Before, my dream was to be a digital nomad.

F*ck money. I wanted experiences.
How? F*ck you, I'll figure it out on the way!

Never mind the fact that the way my mind works, I would probably suffer a breakdown a few days into my nomadic lifestyle.

TMF changed the way I thought and helped me solidify how I really wanted to live my life. Unscripted did not.

That said, TMF is largely a mindset book. The first two-thirds focus largely on the Sidewalk and Slowlane scenarios, with the latter third being more 'practical' content. You learn that you need to start a business, the commandments that business should follow, a couple of ways to manage your risk, and about your future money system.

Interestingly enough, despite all of that occurring in just the last third of the book, it still provides infinitely more information than any other business book I've read. It's really enough guidelines for you to start your business.

Still, you may benefit from looking up other books for extra information in addition to TMF. The Lean Startup, Zero to Launch, Ready Fire Aim, etc.

Or, you could just buy Unscripted .

When you first start reading, it's the good ol' explanation of Slowlane dogma and why it's bullshit. As always, a good read and a great reminder to have.

Then it morphs.

If you've ever asked (or thought of asking) "Well, just what are the exact steps?" this book is your answer.
If you ever think about asking that question after reading, just have a friend or family member smack you in the face with it.

Unscripted takes the idea of TMF (you have to be in The Fastlane to get rich) and tells you exact-F*cking-ly how to do so. In serious detail, MJ tells you:

• How to change your mindset. Real, non-bullshit ways to do so. This F*cking book is a better self-help book than any self-help book on the market.
  • The type of business to create (an even more thorough review of the Commandments)
  • How to create that business.
  • How to maintain your lifestyle. Money system, spending habits, etc.

TMF explores most of this, but it does so in the last third of the book. Unscripted , in its entirety, explores these. It is a "How to be an entrepreneur" blueprint.

In my opinion, 3/4 of 'entrepreneurship' classes could be replaced by a mandatory reading of this book.

Unscripted Was Actually Too Much for My Reading System

You see, when I read, I mark my books. I underline important concepts, bracket sections that are good to know, and dog ear fantastic quotes or mindblowing revelations. A fantastic book will have about three things (brackets, underlining, notes, etc) on every other page. With about 5-15% of the pages dogeared.

I gave up for Unscripted .

On page 220, I wrote my last note (I still had about half the book to go). Because I realized that this book was too much for my reading system. I was already holding back underlining and marking, because if I tried to mark everything that was vital/important/a great point, then I'd have marked up half of the text on every page.

I put my pen away and decided that this book was going to need a -lot- more rereading to absorb even half the information. There was too much practical content to take away. When I come back to it, I'm gonna need a notebook and flashcards.

If You Ask "What Are the Exact Steps" After You Read Unscripted , You Might Not be Cut Out to be an Entrepreneur

Sure, you can ask specific questions. That's always good. But MJ creates such a thorough blueprint of what you need for a Fastlane Business or Lifestyle, you can't ask for anything more specific without getting steps that just might not work for you.

Is the book perfect? Probably not. I still have my post-coital glow of the reading still on me, so I am likely biased. That said, it sure as hell is better than every other book on the market. And that includes TMF.

After you read Unscripted , you do not need another business book.

Repeat after me.

After you read Unscripted , you do not need another business book.

You may find useful information in them, but you'll just be action-faking. Unscripted gives you everything you need. All immediate books after this one should be specific to you. Read this if you need more information on that.

Honestly, I could keep droning on. But I think I've made my point.

Read the F*cking book.

Edit/P.S.: A quick review of this and I realized that it may sound like I'm trashing The Millionaire Fastlane . I'm not. If Unscripted is the #1 business book, TMF is #2. It's also one of the best books on the market.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've just finished it and HOLY SHIT THE BEST BUSINESS BOOK EVER! I love it! MJ DeMarco you are the man!
Now when someone says "Give me the exact steps" I can pound them over the head with my 2 lb book. :hilarious:

This was where MJ seemed to be suggesting that it was almost impossible to become a successful entrepreneur without working a bunch of shit jobs first.

That's not what I meant so I guess I failed here in being more clear in my writing.

It simply means that a person is willing to do whatever it takes, including jobs that are a blow to the ego. Some folks don't need the crap job and instead get a decent job. Then the threat becomes comfort.

unaided

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 5, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Finished UNSCRIPTED Last night, today sat at a coffee shop with my wife and explained the principles behind purposely NOT funding our retirement. The book really helped shift my frame back to "how can I create/add value today"

I still have a slowlane job, but it's a rare one with a decent income/benefit package a lot of flexibility and overlaps to build my freedom on the side. Long-term though, it's a 3% per year increase gig.. I can take my wins and leverage them on my own channels and create my exit raft.

So it's slow-lane during the day and fast-lane at night! And the wife is on board.

JourneyToAbundance

Free time is my most valuable asset
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Mar 11, 2012
Salt Lake City
I am grateful to @MJ DeMarco for writing such an outstanding and deep book about living a happy and fulfilling life via entrepreneurship. This is my 5-star review which was posted on Amazon.

"Unscripted : Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Entrepreneurship” by MJ DeMarco is an outstanding guide for anyone who wants to live a meaningful and fulfilling life via entrepreneurship. The author challenges conventional wisdom and provides guideposts that we can use for an UNSCRIPTED existence which means doing whatever you want, wherever and whenever.

Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones, who sang the lyric, I can’t get no satisfaction, captures a lot of the spirit of part I and part 2 of this book. MJ provides a diagnosis of the human predicament with vivid examples that we can all relate to. The author poses two questions that I found thought-provoking and his answers were spot-on: how do you feel on Sunday night or Monday morning?, What is the greatest con of the civilized world? Both questions made me think about my predicament and the myths that we follow or accept as the facts of life. For instance, who came up with the rule that Saturday and Sunday are for relaxing while work occurs Monday through Friday or retirement happens at sixty-five after 40 years of doing what you don’t like.

Once you become aware and understand our predicament, then the author provides a framework that can cure us. I was skeptical about this framework because of how complex it was and the odds of success. But after, researching other successful entrepreneurs like Phil Knight and Scott Adams, I realized that MJ has provided the most complete guide for entrepreneurial success. There isn’t a magical checklist we can use that will provide the path for successfully starting a business but MJ’s framework can improve our odds. The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) is the prescription for our predicament and represents the bulk of the book. There were five key takeaways for me:

1. Change your head will change your results - we have been brainwashed by the media and many other sources to have delusional and limiting beliefs that prevent us from transforming ourselves. For example, if you believe “entrepreneurship is risky,” you’ll avoid starting a business. But, if you can change your identity and actually believe that “I am a successful entrepreneur” than you have a shot.
  2. Process-principle - extraordinary results require an extraordinary effort consisting of daily habits, routines, and sacrifices. For example, when Michael Phelps won 9 gold medals in the 2008 Olympics and makes millions in endorsement afterwards, most of us only see his successful outcome. But behind his wins was a grueling process that required rigorous training and sacrifices. So, to be successful entrepreneurs we need to modify our habits and daily routine.
  3. The Commandment of Need - Need defines our opportunity in the market place. The author said think about the market as “a spoiled brat, narrowly-minded and singular in its purpose….Its laser-like focus is centered on one fundamental truth: What value are you to me?” By reframing the market as a spoiled brat, I’ve become more aware of the need of others.
  4. Sell or be sold: “If you don’t have any ideas, learn how to sell. Selling and all of its cousins (marketing, copywriting, negotiation) are the most important skills, no matter what your business is… The best sales secret isn’t about sales at all. It’s peer testimonials and reviews.”
  5. Comparative immunity - Abstaining from the un-winnable game of comparison which is the drive for more when more isn’t needed. We tend to focus on what’s missing such as the person driving a Mercedes while your driving a Subaru or the person with the perfect nose while your is crooked. I agree with the author that you will never find happiness if you are constantly comparing yourself with others because the finish line always moves.

I highly recommend “Unscripted ” because it has allowed me to better understand my predicament, see the world differently, and provide a backtested framework for entrepreneurship.

Last edited:

emanresu

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 9, 2015
I've just had lunch all by myself, thinking whether to leave a review for Unscripted now or wait for a few days to let it sink in. Next to me, 3 guys in their 20s were passionately talking about Game of thrones and quoting lines:
- "Bend the knee...OMFG!!!"
- "And that Brandon kid...he already knew she had a list!!! Crazy!!!"

• First thought: "Grow up".
  • Second thought: "I could have been on of these guys!"
  • Third thought: "I was one of them.Some motivational guy told me to write down the income i want, read it out loud 2 times a day and it will come true. How stupid could I be?"

MJ, I'm sure you hear this every minute and it might sound trivial...you are one of the few who marked my life. I was blind, but now I see. You're on the other side of the world, don't know you, never met you, but i'll be forever grateful. Thank you!

UNSCRIPTED , like others have pointed out, is a masterpiece! The first part was a little too poetical for me...it felt like reading a novel sometimes. When I got to the kinetic execution it really clicked, I recognized your direct, "no time to lose", Kevin O'leary style.

Kareen

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
350%
Jul 21, 2017
Northern Virginia
hello all,

I have finished unscripted and im feeling excited to start my journey today moving forward. Im a little anxious about where to start and I honestly feel an urge to go back and re-read some chapters to touch up on the knowledge I may have missed. Once I reached the end of the book I realized that there is no secret to success, there is no get rich quick scheme. It is all about creating value and solving a problem. I am not waiting around for the greatest idea but I want to make sure Im not wasting my time trying out anything just for experience. Thank you for this book MJ!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Moved you up into my favorite authors list with Michael Crichton.

Wow, that's means a ton to me. Thank you.

I have to say, at some points, UNSCRIPTED had me choking up a little bit, that's right, tearing up. I can't speak for anyone else, but you're book is scaring me.

That was the effect I tried to roil ... emotion, anger, compelled toward a FTE.

This may not be a "thank you for making me rich, MJ" post, but it's a "thank you for this life saving book, MJ" post.

Everything grows from your head. The seeded is planted, what will you do with it now?

This is the most life-changing book I have ever read!

Yah!

And my favorite part of the book was when you outlined the value attributes. It made me realize that it didn't matter if the product was already made. If I can find an attribute that I can execute better for that product, I can create a new and better product.

When you boil everything down to business, this is what they do. They skew value.

"We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret."

Jim Rohn quoted this, not me. I did attribute in the book as well! Great quote!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I feel like MJ’s writing is more thorough, witty, thought-provoking, and confident in Unscripted

I hope so!

What does fastlane have that unscripted doesn't?

TMF is more mathematical on how wealth is actually created, digs deeper into the Slowlane mythology and some of the other mindsets (not touched on in UNS) ... I'm hearing the books can be read in either order.

Not just life changing advice, but if executed can change my theway my future generations look at work and providing value in their life

Yes, unfortunately the red pill is harder to swallow the younger you are. Young people just don't have the experience in how the world really works. 20 years in corporate America, a 30 year mortgage, and a 5 year car payment on a car that was fun for six weeks, and suddenly the red pill is more swallowable.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Read the first 5 chapters but when I try to buy at amazon says that "the book will be auto released on May, 23."

Where did you guys read the entire book from?
Same for me and I loved every second of it. The author has a way with words that instill chills and goosebumps all over your body haha. Sounds kinda weird lol. I envy MJ because he's so wise. How does one get so wise? Love the unscripted theme!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Read the book... took a while to get through the epoch, not much spare time these days.

A lot of timely information for me as I get a new business off the ground. Will keep a lot of important things fresh, and serve as a quick refresher when I need it.

I loved the whole idea of the productocracy and everything that went with it... it really hit home for me.

The investment section was a little tough for me to get through, but I did appreciate how in detail you got with it. I will come back to it when I've got something worth investing.

Well done @MJ DeMarco

Thoelk

Artificial Psycho
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Feb 18, 2014
Belgium
Here is my review that I will post come May 23rd (it's a bit long, but it's worth a read):

Disclaimer: I have read The Millionaire Fastlane and I am a member of the Fastlane Forum, which is how I was able to receive an early copy of UnScripted . I had to pay for my copy of UnScripted , as it was not provided for free or in exchange for a positive review. While my review will be positive, I will be fair and honest in my appraisal.

I was first introduced to The Millionaire Fastlane and MJ DeMarco in 2011. I had bought a copy of How To Get Rich by Felix Dennis and wanted to read reviews about it, so I went to Amazon.com. Upon going to the book’s page on Amazon.com, I noticed in the ‘Customers who bought this item also bought’ and the first book shown was The Millionaire Fastlane . Granted, this was the first edition of the book, with the original cover and at first I thought, really? Not that the cover or the title put me off, but in the realm of business books, if you’ve seen one, you’ve seen ‘em all. Still, the book had a 4.5 out of 5 star rating, so I clicked on the link. People raved about the book, how it was the un-business book, it was not like all the other books about business/entrepreneurship, and as I’m a contrarian, it was right up my alley. I read it and re-read it and I liked it. Initially, it was a shock to the system, as it was going against the standard dogma that was written and that most of us accept. MJ was a bit abrupt at times, but looking back, he was being cruel to be kind. Many readers looking for the magic bullet of how he created his business and wealth were disappointed, as he made it clear how he did it was not important. At first, I was a bit put off by that, but once I read it and let it gestate, I understood the HOW was not important, and once you read UnScripted , you will realize it’s the WHY that is most important.

I was surprised that MJ had decided to write another book on the subject of business/entrepreneurship and I had been keeping up with his progress periodically on the Fastlane Forum. In The Millionaire Fastlane , he says he does not like gurus and those who seek to use their books as an upsell into videos, quick-start systems and the like, and that this was going to be his only book. If he had not written UnScripted , The Millionaire Fastlane is a book that is a roadmap to creating wealth via business/entrepreneurship and stands up on its own. That being said, it took him three years to write The Millionaire Fastlane , as well as this book.

Now I know those of you who purchased and read The Millionaire Fastlane and weren’t given step-by-step instructions on how you too could create a Limos.com (the website that MJ created and then sold some years later) and were quick to judge The Millionaire Fastlane as a waste of time, just another millionaire who got lucky espousing his knowledge just to make a buck. MJ didn’t need the money, as this was a passion of his that he was able to execute on and share with those who would listen, a book he self-published, as he also did with UnScripted . As I said in my introduction, my first impression of MJ was of someone who was bit abrupt, with a need for tact and consideration for his audience. But as I read The Millionaire Fastlane , I started understanding where he was coming from and why his tone was the way it was. Too many books about business/entrepreneurship are kid-gloving and coddling the reader, when what they need is a swift kick in the rear, as that is how life is. And many of the readers of The Millionaire Fastlane , both fans and critics, probably assumed that Unscripted is just The Millionaire Fastlane 2.0, which is a mistake. Granted, he writes about what he knows and some of the material that he discussed in The Millionaire Fastlane does make its way into UnScripted , but it’s not a rehash, like The Force Awakens was to A New Hope. UnScripted is its own book, one that is more of a self-improvement book than a business/entrepreneurship book. MJ touches on aspects of business/entrepreneurship, but focuses on the most important quality of anyone seeking to be successful in business/entrepreneurship, or life for that matter: mindset. If I had to compare how UnScripted is to The Millionaire Fastlane , it’s like Anthony Robbins did with his first book, Unlimited Power and the follow-up, Awaken The Giant Within. Both books are excellent in the field of human potential/self-improvement, but what he discussed in his first book he expands on and adds to in his second book. Awaken The Giant Within was not a sequel to Unlimited Power, just as UnScripted is not a sequel to The Millionaire Fastlane . You can’t go wrong reading both books, but in my opinion, I think readers would benefit from reading UnScripted first, then The Millionaire Fastlane . I say that because Unscripted focuses on creating and developing the correct mindset and beliefs, which are necessary to have if one wishes to obtain great wealth and create a business that fills needs and/or solves problems and ultimately creates and adds value. And for those who don’t have the patience to read the book from start to finish, who only want the facts or say it should have/could have been shorter, you’re missing the point. If you only want facts/logic, then you have no connection, no anchor to create the emotion that makes the facts relatable and applicable. That’s like getting the Cliff’s Notes just to finish a book report. Yeah, you’ll know the main characters, the plot, but you will miss out on the emotions and personalizing the information for yourself. Reading is subjective, as we each glean different things from the subject matter. By reading the entire book, you absorb everything that the author was communicating, not just the nuts and bolts, and certain aspects mean more to you than they do to other readers and vice versa. I recall a story I was told about Aristotle concerning his students. In order for them to remember important facts, he would relay the information to the student and then smack them to create an emotional anchor, i.e. shock/surprise. If you just read something to memorize facts and figures, yeah you can, but if there is no emotion connected to said facts and figures, they will probably be forgotten. But add emotion and personalize what is being said, then you will more than likely, remember what you read or what was said.

Just as in The Millionaire Fastlane , MJ does not BS the reader. He walks his talk and gives the reader the straight dope. If you don’t believe me, then go to the Fastlane Forum and he dispenses advice and information about business/entrepreneurship in a matter of fact way, as he’s seen it and done it. I was under the impression that he may have had a few failures and struck gold with Limos.com, as his rise to the top of the entrepreneur hill was a semi-smooth one, but when you read Unscripted , you get to see MJ not as this mythical, super-entrepreneur with all the answers, but as a human being who has failed over and over and over again until he figured out how to get in and stay in the Fastlane. He will be the first to admit he’s walked the Sidewalk and driven the Slowlane, but those were means to an end, the Fastlane and he is still learning, still growing, as things change and methodologies must also change and be updated and adapted, if one is to be successful. If these terms are foreign to you, you will be introduced to them in UnScripted and expanded upon in The Millionaire Fastlane . Whereas in The Millionaire Fastlane , he seemed harsh at times, he seems to have mellowed a bit in UnScripted and for me, was much more relatable. That’s not a dig at MJ, as The Millionaire Fastlane was his first go at writing and he was trying to get his message written and shared, albeit his style was a lot of tough love and my way or the highway, which I did and still do appreciate. While he is still like that in UnScripted , he has softened a bit and reveals how he came to create Limos.com in much more detail, warts and all. He talks about growing up in Chicago, dealing with naysayers, doubters and haters, all the while conveying the pain that caused him to want to follow the “narrow road”, a term that the late Felix Dennis coined.

I don’t want to turn anyone off of reading this by making this out to be simply a self-improvement manual, as MJ does offer a blueprint on how to create your own business, which comes toward the end of the book. But please, if you do buy the book, don’t skip the heart of the book, which is the shift of your mindset, from Scripted to UnScripted . I’m grateful to MJ for writing this book. I, along with many others, was thrilled to have read The Millionare Fastlane and for him to write UnScripted and add to the invaluable information he has already shared is priceless. I know there will be those who just want it cut and dry, still upset that MJ didn’t hold their hands and show them step-by-step how to create a business and that’s fine. Not everyone is going to vibe with UnScripted , just as they didn’t vibe with The Millionaire Fastlane . He admits that Get Rich Quick is real, but not Get Rich Easy and that creating a business that creates value involves hard work and sacrifice, two things that are foreign to many who claim they want to be entrepreneurs, but aren’t willing to pay the price of admission. For those who felt that they were somehow cheated by The Millionaire Fastlane , read UnScripted , change your mindset and your beliefs and then go back and re-read The Millionaire Fastlane and see if your perspective and opinion changes about The Millionaire Fastlane . I have a feeling it will, if you give both UnScripted and The Millionaire Fastlane an honest to goodness chance, without prejudice and preconceived ideas about how you think things should be.

Let me close my long-winded review by saying thank you to MJ DeMarco for sharing his insights and knowledge from hard-won experience of failing in business, but eventually succeeding and doing it not as other “entrepreneurs” would believe you can and should do it, but by realizing that there are truths and absolutes that for too long, were shrouded in mystery, kept hidden, replaced with the ad nausem platitudes and rules that people think will make them successful in business, but are fool’s gold. UnScripted and The Millionaire Fastlane are the real things. If you don’t want to live your life like everyone else, do yourself a favor: go and buy both, but read UnScripted first and the Millionaire Fastlane second. I only wish I had had these when I was just out of high school or college, but then I may not have been ready for the lessons they had to teach me. There is an old saying, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. I’ve been on my quest to find my Fastlane since 2011 and while have had a few detours and hit a few potholes, I’m still looking, still searching, not content with giving up and following the crowd. I hope those who took the time to read my review found it informative and useful to your decision whether or not to buy UnScripted and/or The Millionaire Fastlane . If you are still on the fence about either or both, MJ is nice enough to let you read the first five chapters for free, just go to the FastlaneForum.com and from there you can create an account on the forum or just download the five free chapters in PDF format. The same goes for The Millionaire Fastlane , although it is only the first three chapters. Good luck!

What a great review... Your style of writing is really good.. I was going to re-read TMF until my copy arrives, but considering your review.. I'm going to consume Unscripted first & then re-read TMF. Well done!

Mark Foster II

Building my HIGHWAY
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 12, 2014
Finished it about a week ago and THOROUGHLY enjoyed it!

My goal was to read it and then re-read it. After reading some of the comments in this section I'm going to run through the gamut and read Unscripted and then jump straight into TMF.

Unscripted was such a refreshing read and just confirmed what I already felt I knew about MJ and that is he's a real genuine dude! He went certain places in Unscripted that REALLY took me aback and made me feel even more confident in clinging on to his every word in that book. I also love the fact that it's completely standalone but can only imagine what combining the two will do for me in the near future.

Will be writing a complete review once the 23rd drops but just wanted to say thanks to MJ for sharing all his knowledge, building this forum for all of us to connect, and being fearless in how he presents his message! I mean......that's what being Unscripted is all about!!!!! Having the freedom in being UNCOMPROMISING in your message!

TMF helped me launch my private labeling business on Amazon but ego got in the way of having it sustain towards an exit (by the way, I absolutely LOVE how you speak about the phenomenon that is "Start an Amazon business" that's become the hot craze). Now that I've read Unscripted and will be revisiting BOTH starting this week, I'm beyond excited to see where this journey will take me on!

Again, thanks MJ and I wish you nothing but the highest level of success with this book and to all who reads it and applies!

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
705%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
Hey everyone - today is the day to leave a review on Amazon for MJ.

I tried to post mine earlier but like others have mentioned here, we had to wait until today. I posted my 5 star review (of course) on Amazon today.

BE SURE TO LEAVE YOUR REVIEW ON AMAZON TODAY!!!

If you're interested, this is what I had to say:

Let's just be honest, you're going to see a LOT of 5 star reviews for this book. Why? Because it really is a powerful, potentially life-changing book.

Quick background - I was introduced to MJ DeMarco through a friend about 6 years ago. He showed me MJ's first book, The Millionaire Fastlane . And while we were sitting in my friend's office, not some back alley, it was almost as if he were introducing me to some secret society because MJ didn't go the traditional route of selling his book using the media. He relied on word-of-mouth. And to be clear, word-of-mouth only works when you have a quality product.

Long story short, I read The Millionaire Fastlane and after doing so, immediately made some changes in my own fledgling business. Changes that helped me scale up my business, reduce my own workload to about 10 hours a week, and take off to live in the Caribbean & Europe for 3 years, all together with my family. I'm now a proud member of MJ's Fastlane Forum and have even spoken at his annual summit.

Now MJ comes out with Unscripted .

This book takes it to another level. While The Millionaire Fastlane addresses how to think about wealth and how to start the right kind of business, Unscripted helps you question the underlying motives for pretty much everything we deal with in modern society. But unlike a Malcolm Gladwell book which is fascinating but offers no solutions, MJ teaches you exactly what to do to rise above it all.

He starts off strong and then well, stays strong. If you’re uncomfortable with new, critical thinking as well as colorful language that doesn’t hold back, this might not be the book for you. But if you’re someone who’s interested in rising above what society has in store for you, this book is your handbook.

An underlying theme in this book is personal sovereignty - true happiness through personal freedom. MJ does a fantastic job of weaving together modern day events with historical backgrounds all while applying them directly to you. You’re not left wondering what to do.

If you’re the kind of person that highlights as you read, you’ll find yourself marking up quite a bit! I mean, check out some of these pearls of wisdom:

-Anyone who tells you that money can’t buy happiness isn’t spending it correctly.

-Comparison is future-oriented and focused on what is missing, creating anxiety. Gratitude is present-oriented and focused on what you have, creating peace.

-When sifting through life’s jungle, you want a sharpened scythe to break through the weeds - meaning-and-purpose are its grinding stone.

These are just a few of the wisdom nuggets that you’ll get in this book.

OK, right now I run the risk of saying that this book is “so great”. But, if you read even just a few pages, you’ll see for yourself that this isn’t just regurgitated money/happiness talk from the countless books you can grab off of a bookstore shelf. This book combines truly independent thinking with personal experience and practical take-aways.

If you’re interested in rising above the herd, this book is for you.

AGAIN, IF MJ'S TEACHING'S HAVE HELPED YOU IN ANY WAY, BE SURE TO DO HIM A SOLID AND LEAVE A REVIEW FOR UNSCRIPTED ON AMAZON TODAY!

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
On page 48, YES thank you MJ the force awakens did suck a$$!!!
and im a fan of star wars.
ok ok sorry back to the book, great book!
much easier to recommend because looks like the first chunk is less about business and all about life itself.

DesignerOne.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Nov 29, 2016
Rochester, Ny
I sat in the doctor's office while reading unscripted which downloaded onto my kindle in the morning yesterday and holy shit, I had a major major moment.

I recently got a knee operation and was excited that I was finished with it and on the road to recovery, and being able to do more. While I sat in the office I took a look around and saw so many elderly people that looked lifeless, and tired.

I realized, they were all products, and now they're sitting in doctor's offices at the end of their cycle and not enjoying life but also completely focused in material items such as designer items, the newest ipad, the best clothes.

Absolutely was a slap in the face, still got to do more reading but already devouring the pages... Great work MJ.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Read the first 12% two days ago and the remaining 88% yesterday (yeah, I spent like 6-7 hours reading yesterday). It's funny because I was able to finish it so quickly thanks to the Unscripted approach as it gave me freedom to do what I want when I want.

I think I enjoyed most the first part where you talk about being Unscripted in your everyday life. The part about entrepreneurship was extremely valuable, but since I was familiar with many of the concepts thanks to TMF, it wasn't as absorbing to read as other parts (it was still great information and I learned something new).

I found the money system part very valuable - that's something that I feel was missing in TMF. I'm hesitant to invest in paper assets because I believe it's all just some made-up stuff and it was eye-opening for me to realize that if you stick with the biggest companies and most reputable investments, if they collapse I'd better stock up on food, water, guns and ammo than delude myself that non-paper assets will be safe lol (and in the end, RE is actually also just a piece of paper indicating you're the owner, or in many cases it's not even you but the bank).

I was wondering about two things regarding your money system:

1. You talk about liquidity and say that if you can't get out quickly, you can lose like with RE in 2008, hence it's crucial to be able to liquidate in seconds. If, however, you have a long lease in place and crises don't really affect it (like a single-tenant NNN lease with a reputable, big national company), would it fit the bill for the money system as well? Obviously, you can't sell the property overnight, but its value for the purpose of the money system isn't determined by the current real estate prices but by the cashflow it generates. Or am I wrong about it?

2. Your money system vehicles are US-centric. Most of the investments you talk about in the book aren't available in my country (seriously, only dividend stocks are here as the ETFs don't offer dividends), and I assume they aren't available in many other countries, too. I understand that you primarily aim at US readers, but I was wondering what you'd suggest for international readers. Invest in the US despite taking on additional currency risk, try to find something local that would fit your seven rules, or perhaps do a mix of something local and international?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This book is holistic: he lays out the big picture and then shows you how all the pieces fit together.

Yay! That was my intent! I've been struggling to explain the difference between UNS and TMF -- the word I came up with was UNS is a holistic life approach.

Thank you for sharing.

CementFeet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 23, 2017
Huntsville, AL
Just received the book a few days ago and through the first few chapters. Amazing, hilarious, unhinged, and my new favorite @MJ DeMarco.

I gave it to my 12-year old and he started cranking through random chapters. He couldn't believe what he was reading. He said his head was hurting. No one teaches this stuff and explains it with concrete examples as well as MJ.

Many of my friends have embraced the Fastlane approach, are quitting their jobs, and making money through digital methods, Amazon private labeling, and small startups where they are in control of the system, not the other way around. My transition has also begun, and the cashflow is slowly ramping up as I execute on several ecommerce sites. Woo Hoo!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Okay, this might be obvious to some of you but I only realized it now when I re-read some paragraphs from the money system chapter. A money system is in essence a perfect rental system. You rent money (that you earned thanks to your Fastlane business) to fund your ideal lifestyle. In a way, money here is your perfect employee working for you without any complaints and little management 24/7 while you do whatever you want. You still own a business in a way, but it's a "money rental" business.

When approached this way, I finally understand the whole point of the money system - and finally understand that it's not about the best yields, beating the index or whatever. It's about finding the safest (to ensure it's stable and predictable), but still as lucrative as possible, "job" for your money that will provide you with stable cash income, not some unrealized gains so you can brag how your portfolio supposedly "grew" by 15% this year. That's partly also while it has to be liquid - you don't want your money/employee to be stuck working in bad conditions without an option to escape them rapidly (ideally within seconds).

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
At the end of it, this book (for me personally) was even better than The Millionaire Fastlane

I also feel it's better than TMF.

My gut feeling is that people who crave big money and lifestyle will like TMF better.
People who crave freedom and autonomy (with "things" as secondary) will like UNSCRIPTED better.

In the end, I needed to write UNSCRIPTED to stand alone for those folks who avoided TMF due to its "get rich quick" titling.

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.