The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is This Idea/Business/Blah Blah Fastlane? (Uh, no, it isn't.)

Sahil Kashyap

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 17, 2016
New delhi,India
Is this Fastlane?

Folks, the worst thing you can do after joining the forum is asking the question, “Is this Fastlane?

If you have been linked to this post, there’s a reason why.

From this point forward, I will officially ignore any post that contains any variation of “is this Fastlane?” And the sad fact is, most regular contributors here already do so. I thought I should speak up why I don't respond to these.

First, anyone who asks such a question has clearly misinterpreted my book. From a strict interpretation, with zero room for gray area, the answer of “is this Fastlane?” has already been answered in the book. Reread chapters 29 and beyond.

Second, the question “is this Fastlane” implies that some idea in your head is Fastlane. Such could be further from the truth. No idea is Fastlane. And no idea will ever be. In fact, a well executed “NON-FASTLANE” is 10,000% better than a zero-executed idea that you *think* is Fastlane.

Think of it this way: If "Fastlane” was a bike ride across the country, asking the question “is this Fastlane” is akin to sitting down on the bike and staring at the garage floor. So in effect, asking “is this Fastlane” is NOT FASTLANE.

Third, putting all the commandments aside, Fastlane is about process. Consistent actions transforming into habit. It’s about doing something, getting results and feedback, and adjusting along the way. Fastlane is about ACTION, ANY ACTION, even if that action is a campaign on TeeSpring, a Craigslist hustle, or something that would typically be classified as “non-Fastlane.”

Expanding your experience, knowledge, and wisdom in a daily effort IS FASTLANE.

View attachment 9135

When I see these threads “is this Fastlane?”, I literally want to close the browser and come back tomorrow. And please, it’s nothing against you.

It’s just that “is this Fastlane” is becoming one gigantic excuse NOT TO DO ANYTHING. If you think you have a great idea that isn't Fastlane and you have zero experience in life, by all means, go for it. Quit worrying about Fastlane this, and Fastlane that.

“Oh, it doesn’t meet the 5 FL Commandments, so I’ll do nothing until I think about the next greatest idea."

Wrong approach.

Some of the most popular threads here aren't Fastlane per se'. But they are Fastlane from the perspective that someone is DOING SOMETHING to improve their life. And that, puts you leaps and bounds ahead of most people.

Folks, Fastlane is not something you do. Fastlane isn’t something you try. And it certainly isn’t some great idea you think you have.

Fastlane is about building your story.

Your process.

Your failures, your trials, and your errors.

If you’re a seasoned entrepreneur, yes by all means, use the Fastlane commandments as your guide. However, if you’re 20 years old and have NEVER STARTED OR ACCOMPLISHED ANYTHING, by all means, do SOMETHING— ANYTHING to ramp up your experience. "Fastlane" shouldn't really be much of a consideration.

The truth is many Fastlane's don't show themselves as Fastlanes until someone has hustled their a$$ off for years... and then suddenly, like magic, they appear. And they appear because someone trusted the process of action over the promise of events shimmering in the guise of "Fastlane".

Get out there and engage. :)

Good luck and best wishes,
~ MJ

PS: Tagged GOLD because it needs to be read.
I'm 17. And I don't want to endup like everyone in my peers. And I'm trying to improve and gain some more knowledge. I think you need sone knowledge before you start anything

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Buickestate

any colour as long as it comes with wood
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
I'm 17. And I don't want to endup like everyone in my peers. And I'm trying to improve and gain some more knowledge. I think you need sone knowledge before you start anything

At some level yes, and for some things yes. In other areas it's best to just jump in.

Read some good books

Buickestate

any colour as long as it comes with wood
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
We'll said, It’s about doing something, getting results and feedback, and adjusting along the way.

Making adjustments along the way, is one area where many fail. The prevailing thought is "We've always done it this way, and have had good results, why change a good thing?"

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Third, putting all the commandments aside, Fastlane is about process. Consistent actions transforming into habit. It’s about doing something, getting results and feedback, and adjusting along the way. Fastlane is about ACTION, ANY ACTION, even if that action is a campaign on TeeSpring, a Craigslist hustle, or something that would typically be classified as “non-Fastlane.”

This is it! These are the words I needed to hear/read. Thank you!

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
I'm going to re-read this post over and over so I stop going into 'analysis paralysis'.

meeting real fastlaners is more interesting than reading all the day

i will meet a successful guy this afternoon.

i have questions for him

i think i can get more wisdom in a meeting than on the internet

this is like playing the guitar

when you are learning alone with books, you don't know the real tips used by guitar players in the real life

it is just theory in books

when you meet a famous guitar player you learn things you could never learn in a book, just by watching him playing live for example in front of you.

and while you are playing with him, he helps you to correct mistakes

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 28, 2017
US
Yes, you need knowledge. Learn as you go. It will help prioritize your learning. There's so much you will eventually need to know that you would wait forever trying to learn it. I have personally found that knowledge learned through experience (esp. failure) sticks much better. The emotions are way different when something is actually on the line and, scary as it is, it really forces the best of your abilities to the surface; and the best of your abilities is what it takes.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

azntitan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 17, 2017
NYC
no Plan + no Action = Sidewalk
Fastlane Plan + no Action = Still Sidewalk (wantapreneurs)
no Plan + Action = Slowlane. Still better than Sidewalk. Anyone who takes action is going to be in a better place than a wantapreneur
Fastlane Plan + Action = Fastlane

Danweebly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jun 3, 2017
Nigeria
All of the billionaire entrepreneurs I have been studying explicitly state that scalability is never built into version 1.0. It's possible in the future, but a lot of unscalable stuff is done first (like convincing family and friends to buy your stuff, etc.)

This right here explains why certain commandments may actually need to be violated to start out.

In my current venture, I am lacking control. I am working hard to regain that. Once I do, my business will be on the right path.
Exactly.....You spoke my mind. Some businesses may not be purely fastlane from the start. But can be moulded into.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Is this Fastlane?

Folks, the worst thing you can do after joining the forum is asking the question, “Is this Fastlane?

From this point forward, I will officially ignore any post that contains any variation of “is this Fastlane?” And the sad fact is, most regular contributors here already do so. I thought I should speak up why I don't respond to these.

First, anyone who asks such a question has clearly misinterpreted my book. From a strict interpretation, with zero room for gray area, the answer of “is this Fastlane?” has already been answered in the book. Reread chapters 29 and beyond.

Second, the question “is this Fastlane” implies that some idea in your head is Fastlane. Such could be further from the truth. No idea is Fastlane. And no idea will ever be. In fact, a well executed “NON-FASTLANE” is 10,000% better than a zero-executed idea that you *think* is Fastlane.

Think of it this way: If "Fastlane” was a bike ride across the country, asking the question “is this Fastlane” is akin to sitting down on the bike and staring at the garage floor. So in effect, asking “is this Fastlane” is NOT FASTLANE.

View attachment 9135

When I see these threads “is this Fastlane?”, I literally want to close the browser and come back tomorrow. And please, it’s nothing against you.

It’s just that “is this Fastlane” is becoming one gigantic excuse NOT TO DO ANYTHING. If you think you have a great idea that isn't Fastlane and you have zero experience in life, by all means, go for it. Quit worrying about Fastlane this, and Fastlane that.

“Oh, it doesn’t meet the 5 FL Commandments, so I’ll do nothing until I think about the next greatest idea."

Wrong approach.

Some of the most popular threads here aren't Fastlane per se'. But they are Fastlane from the perspective that someone is DOING SOMETHING to improve their life. And that, puts you leaps and bounds ahead of most people.

Folks, Fastlane is not something you do. Fastlane isn’t something you try. And it certainly isn’t some great idea you think you have.

Your process.

If you’re a seasoned entrepreneur, yes by all means, use the Fastlane commandments as your guide. However, if you’re 20 years old and have NEVER STARTED OR ACCOMPLISHED ANYTHING, by all means, do SOMETHING— ANYTHING to ramp up your experience. "Fastlane" shouldn't really be much of a consideration.

The truth is many Fastlane's don't show themselves as Fastlanes until someone has hustled their a$$ off for years... and then suddenly, like magic, they appear. And they appear because someone trusted the process of action over the promise of events shimmering in the guise of "Fastlane".

~ MJ

Love this

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump.

KingAlex

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Dec 4, 2017
London

Do there exist CHECKLISTs for the N E C S T Concept, by any chance ? Where I can push my ideas through, like a first diagnosis set?^^ I know this would be very generic, but maybe really helpful. Otherwise I will create them by myself. Thanks for responding :)

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Is this Fastlane?
There's armies of us out there -- day after day, in the trenches working and working and working... I've never seen an "instant success" in all of my years of being out there. BUT, I have seen people who have become shining examples of what consistent, hard & smart work can bring in the end.

Now they come to me -- those who made fun of me when I was young because I worked too hard. Now they tell me how luck I am to be successful! I just look them square in the eye and start laughing each time it happens. They haven't paid the entrance price, and they sure have no idea what tolls have to be paid along the way in order to find that elusive success star. I just explain to them that the harder I work, the luckier I become -- which is met with blank stares.

ApeRunner

Very Fast on a Bike
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
May 16, 2014
Cozumel
of the billionaire entrepreneurs I have been studying explicitly state that scalability is never built into version 1.0.

Scalability can't exist at the first stage. But you should plan for it. It happens that my current venture doesn't scale very well and I'm struggling with it.

Fastlane Plan + no Action = Still Sidewalk (wantapreneurs)
no Plan + Action = Slowlane. Still better than Sidewalk. Anyone who takes action is going to be in a better place than a wantapreneur
Fastlane Plan + Action = Fastlane

Good summary. Maybe for TMF second edition?

Some businesses may not be purely fastlane from the start. But can be moulded into.

Yes SOME can. Others don't. But at least you get to know the industry and then "pivot" into a proper fastlane.

Do there exist CHECKLISTs for the N E C S T Concept, by any chance ?

Yes there is. You can find it at the Millionaire Fastlane book.

RoyRogers

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 8, 2017
Los Angeles
Is this Fastlane?

View attachment 9135

Wrong approach.

Your process.

~ MJ

Simply put "When you do it, it happens"

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Bump.... with a helpful summary quote.

Fastlane is not some arbitrary sum of money.
It's not passive income while sitting on a beach.
And it's not retiring at 30.
Fastlane at its core is a mentality.
And as soon as you obtain that mentality, you are in the Fastlane.
So as long as continue your entrepreneurial pursuits, even if you fail this venture or the next,
you CONTINUE.

This is something that is lived, not tried.
The money comes later as a result of living it.

- MJ DeMarco

Danweebly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jun 3, 2017
Nigeria
Fastlane is not some arbitrary sum of money.
It's not passive income while sitting on a beach.
And it's not retiring at 30.
Fastlane at its core is a mentality.
And as soon as you obtain that mentality, you are in the Fastlane.
So as long as continue your entrepreneurial pursuits, even if you fail this venture or the next,
you CONTINUE.

This is something that is lived, not tried.
The money comes later as a result of living it.
The Money comes later maybe in months or in a few years relatively shorter than the slowlane (decades).

I'm 17 and I'm currently studying CS in college as a fresher. I'm determined never to apply for any corporate job after college.

Business is all I want to do and that, the right kind of business that obeys the CENTS Principle not masquerading as a job.

Most people including my parents thinks I'm silly for making such decisions and tell me lots of slowlane dogmas. My mind is already fixed. The Millionaire Fastlane was the best decision I've ever made in my entire life.

Surpasser

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 19, 2017
Getting wealthy reminds me so much of lifting. I've been lifting for more than a decade and each year I come to a realization I only was serious about it during previous year. Because I learn so much that it almost makes all the time before year ago - "not serious" time.

There are many similarities - like in lifting: there are basic principles but everyone is different and you can put 2 ppl on same routine and they have different rate of success, not every routine is for everyone (what works for someone might not work for a different someone), countless books have been written on it but most of the work is done learning your body and your particular style, the more serious about it you are - the more you experiment and less follow "rules" others put down. To be ahead of the curve you gotta experiment and take chances. After many years in it you develop "a feel" for it and dont need to review basic principles that much since you know yourself well enough and you know the game well enough.

I think mastery in any subject can draw parallels with other areas.

Also - "but what are the exact steps" could be a scene in those buddhist stories (koans) when the apprentice asks the master that Q and the master winks at him and the apprentice "achieves enlightenment".
I still might ask something like that in the future :)

TheFrancophile

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Feb 5, 2017
Lyon, France
Hello everyone,

I'm preparing my future business these days and I'd appreciate your feedback on whether you think it can be Fastlane. My business project is to sell Western AND Eastern European wines in China, in a 2nd-tier or even a 3rd-tier city.

First, what problems am I going to solve? What are my future customers' needs?

China's demand for imported wine is growing rapidly, at double-digit figures, year after year and is projected to grow still. More and more Chinese consumers are discovering the beauty and good taste of wine and the fact that it's healthier than both beer and traditional rice-based spirits.

Moreover, because wine is seen as elegant and classy, and even by many Chinese as sort of a luxury product and a symbol of wealth, more and more Chinese people want to buy and drink it to show themselves to other people as affluent and a man or woman of taste.

But not all wines are equally liked by the Chinese; some 75-80% prefer reds. Only 25% of Chinese wine drinkers consume white or rose wines. This is due in part to their ignorance about wine (reinforced by heavy advertising by Chinese winemakers) and their belief that all wine is red, as well cultural superstitions (red is the color of luck, health, love, and prosperity; white is the color of death and therefore of funerals). However, this is now changing; the imports of still whites and of sparkling wines are growing rapidly, although from a low base.

At the same time, the Chinese don't like bitter, heavily-tannic wines (especially those that have a wood-like taste), which works against the wines that were aged for a long time in oak barrels (especially those made of young oak wood). Many Chinese consumers mix wine with juice or other soft drinks like lemonade (I guess they've never heard of sweet wine).

At present, 77% of all wine imported into China comes from one of the following 3 countries: France, Australia, Chile (the latter two have FTAs with the People's Republic). But, although French wines enjoy (and have long enjoyed) an excellent reputation in the Chinese people's eyes, and are still seen as a symbol of elegance and wealth (esp. those from Bordeaux, Burgundy, and Champagne), this is now rapidly changing. Imports of wines from many other countries (esp. from Australia, Chile, NZ, Portugal, and Georgia are rapidly growing).

It is not clear, though, whether price is a big issue for Chinese customers or not. According to some specialized articles and some of my Chinese friends, it is, and many customers would be scared away by high prices of wine bottles (especially if this were the first thing they see upon entering a wine store). OTOH, according to many other sources, and some of my other Chinese friends, the Chinese people's main concern with wine right now is its quality, even if it means paying a higher price. In fact, some sources claim that a low bottle price may give the impression that the wine in it is of low quality.

MY SOLUTION : Import and sell a wide range of Western and Eastern European wines (from France, Italy, and Portugal, incl. Porto, as well as from Hungary, Ukraine, Croatia, Serbia, Romania, and Bulgaria). They will mostly be red but light and fruity (although I'll also include some prestigeous Bordeaux and Burgundy reds in my offer for those seeking famous wines, as well as Porto). I will also sell some dry, semi-dry, and sweet white wines as well as sparkling wines from Champagne, Alsace, and certain regions of Italy.

I will essentially be selling three types of wines:
1) Prestigeous wines from various domains in the Bordeaux, Burgundy, and Champagne regions;
2) Light red (and not exclusively French) wines for those concerned primarily about their health (many Chinese women believe that red winemakes them look prettier and younger); and
3) Wines from various little-known wine producing countries like Hungary, Croatia, and Serbia for those looking to discover wine.

I will hire a Chinese salesperson and together we'll offer 5-star customer service: always being available and polite (in person, on the phone and by email) during the opening hours, giving professional advice about what wine to choose, offering the possibility of tasting some of the wines before buying them, and promptly resolving any problems in a polite manner. (And using excellent body language.)

I will also hire a professional to design an easy-to-use website for me (in the .cn domain, of course), coupled with an online store and a blog. The website will include detailed information about the wines I'll be selling (Chinese customers want it and do serious research before buying), TOS, and a nice About Us section with a photo of me and my Chinese friend smiling.

I will be selling wines both at a physical store (in a busy shopping mall in a 2nd- or 3rd-tier city, i.e. outside Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Shenzhen) and online (on my own site and thru popular e-commerce portals such as Alibaba, Tmall, JD.com, and Taobao).

All of my wines, whatever their cost of burchase and sale price, will be of good quality - no cheap but crappy wines like what they sell in Chinese supermarkets (and often online). And of verifiable origin (with import certifications of origin, which are obligatory anyway) - no fake wine, again in stark contrast to many supermarkets and online sellers. My success will be built upon honesty and quality.

Now, how does it stack up against the CENTS commandments?

NEED: The need for quality wine of verified and verifiable origin obviously exists. The need for light and fruity reds (as opposed to heavily-tannic ones) and for sweet wines also exists. Both of these needs are poorly met these days.
ENTRY: Not everyone can start any kind of business in China as this involves some time, paperwork, and patience dealing with local bureaucracies. Not everyone has the knowledge to give pro advice about wine, either.
CONTROL: For the first several years, I will be selling wine at a rented store (in a large shopping mall downtown) as well as through my own online store and through portals like Alibaba and Tmall. Although someone might suddenly terminate my lease of the physical store, they can't kick me out of my own website/OL store. And in the future, I will buy my own store in a busy downtown street. Besides, in the future, most wine sales in China will occur online, so this will be less of an issue.
SCALE: This business will start small, as a single boutique, but if it succeeds, I will open more of them, hopefully a national chain in the long term. China has a population of 1,37 bn people, most of whom aren't wine drinkers yet, so there is a huge potential (but still not filled, much less saturated) market there. And obviously, the Internet gives me unlimited sales possibilities throughout China.
TIME: This, unfortunately, cannot be deconnected from my time, at least not unless this grows into a national chain and I sell it. As long as I'm in the business, I will have to run the business. But I wouldn't mind it at all, because that's what I want to do in life: sell things and run businesses that fulfill other people's needs. I don't plan on retiring until I'm too old and too sick to work.

What do you think, folks?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I get canadian nickles and give them to cashiers instead of real niclkles is this Fastlane ?????????

LittleJohn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 30, 2018
Northeast USA
Making adjustments along the way, is one area where many fail. The prevailing thought is "We've always done it this way, and have had good results, why change a good thing?"
If there is one thing ive learned its, "be the water, not the rock."

Heck, when i reflect on my life i often catch myself with things like, "man - my view is radically different on that then t was 6 months ago."

I have to rationalize that i am not a fart in the wind but rather open to learning and new experience.

njord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 24, 2016
Thx this post is really helpfull, now i know i dont have to wait for that single great idea! just start aready:)

LittleJohn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 30, 2018
Northeast USA
The Money comes later maybe in months or in a few years relatively shorter than the slowlane (decades).

I'm 17 and I'm currently studying CS in college as a fresher. I'm determined never to apply for any corporate job after college.

Business is all I want to do and that, the right kind of business that obeys the CENTS Principle not masquerading as a job.

Most people including my parents thinks I'm silly for making such decisions and tell me lots of slowlane dogmas. My mind is already fixed. The Millionaire Fastlane was the best decision I've ever made in my entire life.
Based on this post alone you sound incredibly intelligent for a 17 year old. Use your brain and apply what you learn, work hard and you are likely to get where you want to go!

Sampath

Be the Change that you want to see in this world
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 30, 2018
Canberra, Australia

Hi
It is nice to hear your thoughts.
If you have a plan to reach your goals, or you are in the process of putting together one to reach your goals and already working towards them it is great and welcome it.
OTHERWISE it sounds like a rebellious statement from an rebellious young man to disprove the world. I hope it is the former. But I wish you great success on your adventure.
MOST of all taking ACTION matters most.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I see it was a mistake to remove this linked thread from the forum's home page.

Bump.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.