The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this a good need or want for the public?

Bloodpetals

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 19, 2020
Olympia
I am a brand new entrepreneur and I got inspired by The Millionaire Fastlane to take action, I love this book and excited to get started.
I was going over some of my ideas and there is one I find particularly interesting but I am curious to see if this is an idea that will provide value, so I want your opinions and suggestions. I was thinking of starting an anonymous website for people to go on and argue for or against ideas. You can continue arguing until you are blue in the face but you won't be rewarded. The whole point of the site is to come to a conclusion and see the other person's side of things. You get paid after collecting points to swap perceptions and argue for the idea the other person believes in. And they do the same. If neutrality and understanding is accomplished the benefits include collecting points to get paid after racking a certain amount. The goal is for humanity to accept more tolerance and have arguments be integrated. I would include a tier like system for membership, you pay more to voice things on bigger and more sensitive topics. You pay a small fee for smaller topics. You can collect points and purchase goodies within the website like tailoring your profile, accessing different things, etc. What do you guys think? Thank you for your time and suggestions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Hi and welcome to forum,

Anonymous websites have track record of getting worst out of humans.

There was a startup that was well funded but dwindled b/c people started to bully and harass others.
(it was called YikYak).

I wouldn't advise to do it
unless you're able to overcome that.

Bloodpetals

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 19, 2020
Olympia
Hi and welcome to forum,

There was a startup that was well funded but dwindled b/c people started to bully and harass others.
(it was called YikYak).

Okay, what about the idea itself?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think its a good idea and there is room for this to happen.

Setting it up also would be pretty easy with a forum software system, like Xenforo.com, Discourse, or Invision Community.

Argument (politics, religion, etc.) tend to be have HOT engagement. Take for example, look at this forum...

Large forum, a lot of engagement because topics tend to be debated and argued.

Unfortunately, engagement does not mean monetization. That would be your challenge.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Okay, what about the idea itself?
If that could be done for corporations (as a training for their teams) it might have legs.

Otherwise i think people are really accustomed to their opinions and i would see as an uphill battle to change them.

Bloodpetals

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 19, 2020
Olympia
I think its a good idea and there is room for this to happen.

Setting it up also would be pretty easy with a forum software system, like Xenforo.com, Discourse, or Invision Community.

Argument (politics, religion, etc.) tend to be have HOT engagement. Take for example, look at this forum...

Large forum, a lot of engagement because topics tend to be debated and argued.

Unfortunately, engagement does not mean monetization. That would be your challenge.

Thank you for replying. I was thinking people who want to be active pay membership fees to access the site depending on which three level tier system they want to be involved in. Small topics would cost 5.00 dollars, medium 15.00 while big ones are 25.00 per person. What do you think?

BlackSuperman

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
I am a brand new entrepreneur and I got inspired by The Millionaire Fastlane to take action, I love this book and excited to get started.
I was going over some of my ideas and there is one I find particularly interesting but I am curious to see if this is an idea that will provide value, so I want your opinions and suggestions. I was thinking of starting an anonymous website for people to go on and argue for or against ideas. You can continue arguing until you are blue in the face but you won't be rewarded. The whole point of the site is to come to a conclusion and see the other person's side of things. You get paid after collecting points to swap perceptions and argue for the idea the other person believes in. And they do the same. If neutrality and understanding is accomplished the benefits include collecting points to get paid after racking a certain amount. The goal is for humanity to accept more tolerance and have arguments be integrated. I would include a tier like system for membership, you pay more to voice things on bigger and more sensitive topics. You pay a small fee for smaller topics. You can collect points and purchase goodies within the website like tailoring your profile, accessing different things, etc. What do you guys think? Thank you for your time and suggestions.

Not knocking the idea but I just want to know how does this defer from 4chan? How do you plan to make it so it doesn't become a site like 4chan? And will affecting your idea with any kind of limitations to thought and ideas in order to make the site not 4chan affect the integrity if the idea defeating the purpose?

Also more importantly what is the need? How do you plan to make money? Scale I think you have figured out. And time you should be fine with one its all set up. Control can be tough. Because you arent in control of what people say which can then affect the business.

Just consider these questions and really think about it. And make aure you are doing this because there is a genuine need that you can profit from.

Bloodpetals

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 19, 2020
Olympia
If that could be done for corporations (as a training for their teams) it might have legs.

Otherwise i think people are really accustomed to their opinions and i would see as an uphill battle to change them.
Not knocking the idea but I just want to know how does this defer from 4chan? How do you plan to make it so it doesn't become a site like 4chan? And will affecting your idea with any kind of limitations to thought and ideas in order to make the site not 4chan affect the integrity if the idea defeating the purpose?

Also more importantly what is the need? How do you plan to make money? Scale I think you have figured out. And time you should be fine with one its all set up. Control can be tough. Because you arent in control of what people say which can then affect the business.

Just consider these questions and really think about it. And make aure you are doing this because there is a genuine need that you can profit from.

Honestly, I had no idea about 4chan. I just came up with it and wondered if it could work because several people thought it was a good idea. The need is the human need to voice themselves in a safe environment, any insults or threats from anyone will be kicked out. I was mentioning that I would have three tiered system where people would pay membership in order to join with five, fifteen and twenty five dollars depending on how big the topics are. So should I scrap it or work with it? What do you think?

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Cool idea But there’s a catch: every report I’ve read shows that online forums especially anonymous ones only confirm people’s pre-existing ideas and biases... And the web truly has become the province of the troll as you can see from America’s ferocious battle to save its soul, and it’s democracy!

I wonder if the opposite might work.. a forum where you must verify your ID like you have to do with AirBnB.... might weed out a certain percentage of the Trolls who are only brave in the shadows... wouldn’t work against religious fundamentalists though as every evil can be justified and celebrated through the prism of religion... hmmm it’s a tricky one!

Last edited:

BlackSuperman

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Honestly, I had no idea about 4chan. I just came up with it and wondered if it could work because several people thought it was a good idea. The need is the human need to voice themselves in a safe environment, any insults or threats from anyone will be kicked out. I was mentioning that I would have three tiered system where people would pay membership in order to join with five, fifteen and twenty five dollars depending on how big the topics are. So should I scrap it or work with it? What do you think?
I think, you might be too focused on whether the idea will succeed or fail which is almost impossible to predict. Everyone could say how great or terrible an idea is, but only YOU can know if it will work.

Just make sure it follows the C.E.N.T.S. model to verify its fastlane, and then jump in and start! Thats the only way you can know.

Example:
I am working on a supplement company but after plugging it into the C.E.N.T.S. model, it failed control as FDA can shut it down easily.

But I still went through the process of researching, applying; and coming with results good and bad. I took a day of rest, re-evaluated, and even though everyone is telling its a good idea or bad idea, I will figure that out myself. And thus you must jump in and figure it out yourself as well! Start today and see where it leads you!

Remember: An idea is only worth pseudomoney. Its the execution that brings in actual money.

Bloodpetals

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 19, 2020
Olympia
I think, you might be too focused on whether the idea will succeed or fail which is almost impossible to predict. Everyone could say how great or terrible an idea is, but only YOU can know if it will work.

Just make sure it follows the C.E.N.T.S. model to verify its fastlane, and then jump in and start! Thats the only way you can know.

Example:
I am working on a supplement company but after plugging it into the C.E.N.T.S. model, it failed control as FDA can shut it down easily.

But I still went through the process of researching, applying; and coming with results good and bad. I took a day of rest, re-evaluated, and even though everyone is telling its a good idea or bad idea, I will figure that out myself. And thus you must jump in and figure it out yourself as well! Start today and see where it leads you!

Remember: An idea is only worth pseudomoney. Its the execution that brings in actual money.
Thank you so much, I will have to figure out the kinks for sure. Good luck with your business :) I know execution is more important!

Bloodpetals

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 19, 2020
Olympia
Cool idea But there’s a catch: every report I’ve read shows that online forums especially anonymous ones only confirm people’s pre-existing ideas and biases... And the web truly has become the province of the troll as you can see from America’s ferocious battle to save its soul, and it’s democracy!

I wonder if the opposite might work.. a forum where you must verify your ID like you have to do with AirBnB.... might weed out a certain percentage of the Trolls who are only brave in the shadows... wouldn’t work against religious fundamentalists though as every evil can be justified and celebrated through the prism of religion... hmmm it’s a tricky one!
Thank you for the insight, I will keep this in mind. When it comes to opinion it is tricky, I will talk it over with a few people about the I.D. thing and fundamentalists.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Was thinking about it yesterday and conclusion was that you could find people that actively want to expand their view of world etc.

Like people who are willing to change or expand their opinion but don't know how or want to have assistance in doing so.

You could post it behind paywall, to earn and have people more vetted/more serious about the whole thing.

Good luck!

Bloodpetals

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 19, 2020
Olympia
Was thinking about it yesterday and conclusion was that you could find people that actively want to expand their view of world etc.

Like people who are willing to change or expand their opinion but don't know how or want to have assistance in doing so.

You could post it behind paywall, to earn and have people more vetted/more serious about the whole thing.

Good luck!
Hey, great idea! Thank you for the insight, I appreciate it.

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016

Good luck!
Good idea. But I doubt there's a sizable audience of people who want to change their opinions.

People that argue online are doing it because it feeds their emotions, very few people actually debate for the sake of understanding the truth. Online and offline.

Maybe this is an opportunity for OP to find a 'sophisticated' market of people who would consider themselves professional/logical debaters. In that instance, i think there's a really good opportunity here, depends on your execution.

Just some ideas, I could be entirely wrong.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Politics and religion arguments come down to emotions, not logic. You won't convince me to be a different religion through an online message-board. You won't convince me to vote for Bernie Sanders in a forum.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't make money. But why would anyone pay you to argue on the internet. I can do that on facebook, youtube, here, etc. Any place there's a comment section..

I think it's a terrible idea.

With that said....

You should build it.

In the process of building it, you will learn 10,000 things about business that will be priceless in the future. There's a high chance that it won't go anywhere, but there's a small chance that it becomes the next Reddit or something. Worst case: you learn a ton about business and become a better person. Best case: you learn a ton about business AND make a bajillion dollars. Sounds like a win-win. Now just take the chance and stop waiting around!

Cyberthal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Apr 14, 2020
Shenzhen
Bad idea. Scrap it. Try participating in real online communities to understand why, as an unpaid moderator. Then try to get paid doing it. Go from there.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
But I doubt there's a sizable audience of people who want to change their opinions.
I wouldn't be so sure.
Look how big is so called "self help" market. They are all about expanding their mind or whatever.
It could be offered to them as tool for that and could sit next to their fav self help book.

mr4ffe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Nov 3, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
I think it's a decent idea but there usually aren't any clear-cut answers to complex topics. Often, there are pros and cons one has to weigh. The fact is sometimes there are things you can't be sure are pros or cons unless you see how they turn out in reality (rational vs empirical support). Also, something that's a pro for someone can be a con for someone else.

I do think you could make a lot of money off selling rhetorical courses/guides on the website: "10 argumentative fallacies to avoid", "7 ways to boost your ethos", "5 signs you're being manipulated", etc. I believe anyone who would browse such as site would be interested in knowing how to improve their arguments and learn to tell when someone else is trying to manipulate them. This is where the real value lies, if you ask me. This could also ensure that the bar stays high in most debates on the site.

What rules would you set? Would you implement a self-moderation system with upvotes or downvotes (and risk burying valid but controversial arguments), or would you have moderators read through all the posts? Would you require users to quote published scientific reports, or could referring to interviews and blogs be just as valid? Would anecdotes be allowed? Would "argumentum ad hominem" be allowed? Would you have certified fact-checkers correct false statements, or is that up to other users to point out?

There clearly is a market for this. Just look at /r/ChangeMyView and /r/ExplainBothSides

Last edited:

Bloodpetals

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 19, 2020
Olympia
Politics and religion arguments come down to emotions, not logic. You won't convince me to be a different religion through an online message-board. You won't convince me to vote for Bernie Sanders in a forum.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't make money. But why would anyone pay you to argue on the internet. I can do that on facebook, youtube, here, etc. Any place there's a comment section..

With that said....

You should build it.

In the process of building it, you will learn 10,000 things about business that will be priceless in the future. There's a high chance that it won't go anywhere, but there's a small chance that it becomes the next Reddit or something. Worst case: you learn a ton about business and become a better person. Best case: you learn a ton about business AND make a bajillion dollars. Sounds like a win-win. Now just take the chance and stop waiting around!
Thanks, I guess? I mean I can take a chance, but if it's trash then I would be wasting time instead of actually building something valuable while making income.

Bloodpetals

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 19, 2020
Olympia
I think it's a decent idea but there usually aren't any clear-cut answers to complex topics. Often, there are pros and cons one has to weigh. The fact is sometimes there are things you can't be sure are pros or cons unless you see how they turn out in reality (rational vs empirical support). Also, something that's a pro for someone can be a con for someone else.

I do think you could make a lot of money off selling rhetorical courses/guides on the website: "10 argumentative fallacies to avoid", "7 ways to boost your ethos", "5 signs you're being manipulated", etc. I believe anyone who would browse such as site would be interested in knowing how to improve their arguments and learn to tell when someone else is trying to manipulate them. This is where the real value lies, if you ask me. This could also ensure that the bar stays high in most debates on the site.

What rules would you set? Would you implement a self-moderation system with upvotes or downvotes (and risk burying valid but controversial arguments), or would you have moderators read through all the posts? Would you require users to quote published scientific reports, or could referring to interviews and blogs be just as valid? Would anecdotes be allowed? Would "argumentum ad hominem" be allowed? Would you have certified fact-checkers correct false statements, or is that up to other users to point out?

There clearly is a market for this. Just look at /r/ChangeMyView and /r/ExplainBothSides
Good points, I can look into all that and ask those questions. Thank you.

Bloodpetals

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 19, 2020
Olympia

With that said....

You should build it.

I might have not explained it clearly but I wouldn't have anybody convince anyone to change their views, practice a different religion or be democrat if they are republican. I was just thinking of setting aside one's opinions and seeing the perspective of the other person to be more understanding. At least that would be part of it. Too many people are focused on their opinions without looking into the other side of the coin.

abcdefgh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 1, 2018

As long as you can moderate trolls without being too restrictive toward free speech, I would consider it.

It would be useful for hearing arguments I haven't heard before.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Let's start with the elephant in the room. There is no perfect idea for a business. There are no perfect businesses. Now, that's out of the way, how do you start? You start by trying stuff and seeing what works. You start small -- without putting your whole existence on the line. You build your knowledge and your skills in your chosen business direction to build your "working capital". This can be done with a real job that gives you the experience that you need to launch yourself. You can also volunteer your time to have different work and learning experiences. Most people who just jump into a business that isn't part of their work experience usually fail quickly. They forget that they must eat and have a place to live.

While you are learning and exploring, take small risks. Start some small side gigs. That will give you a chance to try a bunch of different ideas and pursuits. You can see what works and what doesn't work. And it will give you a circle of people to either serve through your gigs or to bounce your ideas off of. Think of all the things you can do that will hone your skills.
Here's an example. A dog walking business gives you a chance to practice your selling skills. You must go get customers. You must show up as agreed. You must perform a service, for which you can ask for feedback and referrals. It has all the basic business elements with very little risk or start up costs. And there's a bunch of similar businesses. I have a couple good core businesses, and then I still have a few side gigs. I really believe in them. Best of luck!

Phil Yu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 25, 2020
USA, CA
Hi and welcome to forum,

(it was called YikYak).

I used Yikyak. It was a college app for Party, hookup and chat. The current replacement is called Jodel.
Always wonder what went wrong with Yikyak.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
I used Yikyak. It was a college app for Party, hookup and chat. The current replacement is called Jodel.
Always wonder what went wrong with Yikyak.
Jodel seems to have some traction (5m installs on Google Play). I don't know how they deal with anonymous users (first time i heard about app).

The Yikyak story was that they had to geo-fence schools b/c of online bullying - so no one at those schools could post. Basically losing the main places where people posted.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.