The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

HOT TOPIC Is minimalism worth it? A journey to owning 100 items or less

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Dameron

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 9, 2019
I`m surprised at how many people actually enjoy what is portrayed to be "Minimalism".

IMO owning few items is anything BUT minimalistic.
The common theme in the thread is: Own less, easier to travel.
Well you might own less, but you consume more, no?
What about eating?
You dont produce any food if you dont own land or at least some sort of farm plot (terrace garden?).
Everything comes to you by trucks, cars, trains, ships etc.
Is that minimal? What part of it is minimal and not consumerist?
The eggs you had for breakfast came with 20kg of CO2 and who knows what else.
Is that minimal?
Whats more minimalistic? Having land with some chicks, going outisde to get a few eggs, or having X number of people raise chickens, collect eggs, inspect eggs, deliver eggs etc.

There is nothing minimalistic in owning few items while keeping your lifestyle at max consumerism.

For me, its all about owning proper items that minimize your impact.
I think thats the true meaning of minimalism.

And no, I dont consider myself a minimalist, and NO owning 3 pairs of jeans instead of 12, doesnt make you a minimalist either.
I am kinda halfway between. Have the land, grow 40% of what we eat - including the eggs... But it is now time to reduce the inevitable collection of crap that comes with staying in any place for 30 years...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

alexkuzmov

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I am kinda halfway between. Have the land, grow 40% of what we eat - including the eggs... But it is now time to reduce the inevitable collection of crap that comes with staying in any place for 30 years...
IMO halfway between is the best place to be in this case.
I`m not anti having less crap, I`m anti consumption.

Owning just the bare essentials to live, increases consumption.

Ocean Man

I build software solutions
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Since times are crazy enough I have decided to try something equally as crazy - owning 100 items or less.

Why?

- The idea of being able to pack everything in two suitcases and head wherever you want
- Being more mindful and avoiding lifestyle creep
- Owning what really matters rather than accumulating a ton of random stuff
- More time to focus on creating value for others and less detractions/stress
- Be able to quickly adjust lifestyle/location when needed to make the most of opportunities

View attachment 32994

“I remember going into Steve’s house and he had almost no furniture in it.
He just had a picture of Einstein, whom he admired greatly, and he had a Tiffany lamp and a chair and a bed.
He just didn’t believe in having lots of things around but he was incredibly careful in what he selected.”

So with this in mind I am going to start a progress thread and try document what this is actually like.
I won't be trying to push "minimalism" either way - I am genuinely curious if it feels as good as all the hype says - or if it sucks!

I will try document everything here and share any benefits/negative aspects.
Also I am going to phase into this - nothing too crazy at first but if it feels right I will keep going.

I have broken it down into a few stages:
Stage #1: clothes
Stage #2: items
Stage #3: office/work gear
Stage #4: apps, software, information, and decisions
Stage #5: living set up (apartment, bank account, travel etc)

If all goes well I should be able to pack everything into my car/get on a plane and go live wherever I want this time next year (if travel is still a thing ha!).

A quick note: This is just an experiment for me and I don't judge in any way people buying as many things as they like/living whatever way they want.
I don't care too much for minimalism as some kinda movement - I just personally enjoy having less to worry about and more freedom/mobility in my life.

My goal is NOT to be obsessed with how many items I own but rather to live in a way that maximises what I value.
There are a lot of people who take this stuff way too far. My approach will be to try it out and see how it fits.

----

I started phase one today...

From this:

View attachment 32995

To this:

View attachment 32996

I put everything else in bags and if in 30 days I feel I want to keep going I will donate them all...

View attachment 32997

This will probably be my approach for each phase - find the minimum amount of _____ type of item I want to keep and then test it for 30 days before removing.

So that is it for now. I will update as I go and let you know how things have been.

If you got any questions or want to jump in with your own thoughts please do.
Any updates on this? Are you still continuing the experiment? What have you learned from it?

WestCoast

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 20, 2008
Currently Traveling
I'm currently on an 11 month, round the world trip.

I have one backpack that weighs about 6.2kg full (~14lbs)
Plus a small backpack for laptop/camera.

It's amazing.
Two pants, three shorts, four pairs of underwear.

I can operate my business anywhere in the world, via a bag I carry on to any plane.
I like the literal fact that my worldly possessions don't weigh me down.

--
Back in the US: I was living in a ~450SF studio... and even that felt too big.

Before I left, I packed my entire life into a 20' container..
Bed, couch, instruments, clothes, couple small pieces of furniture, books.

I miss none of it, and have zero desire for more 'stuff'.

--
The most important thing to me is TIME (and the freedom to do with it as I please).
So, by not owning things - I feel very free.

I don't have to update things. I don't have to match furniture. I don't own a television, so I don't have to deal with that, or know about television shows. I don't own a car, so, I don't have to have insurance or..I don't have real estate to manage...
Less things can break and need attention, less stuff to physically manage.

It's not that minimalism is, in and of itself, virtuous to me.
It's that it allows me to do what I want, when I want, without any hesitation or worry.

There is that quote from some alternative song in the 2000s: 'the things you own, own you'

--
Now, if I achieve my goal of a private jet.... that is one item I will own happily :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Any updates on this? Are you still continuing the experiment? What have you learned from it?

Well I did end up cutting back on a lot of non essential purchases but at the same time I bought a G wagon lol.

I guess my direction now is not to own a small amount of stuff but rather the right amount of stuff (and quality) to have my lifestyle the way I want it.

I’m on my phone atm but I’ll try get a full write up later.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jun 25, 2019

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I don't think minimalism includes spending 6 figures on a car :rofl:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
7DD5E1BE-D436-4709-B529-DC005DD1F52F.jpeg

Not even close to six figures ha. I got a good deal on one at the start of corona for close to half what it should usually cost. I’ll hold on to it for 2/3 years and most likely break even.

Simon Angel

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 24, 2016
View attachment 34954

Not even close to six figures ha. I got a good deal on one at the start of corona for close to half what it should usually cost. I’ll hold on to it for 2/3 years and most likely break even.

Looks great, congratz! I wouldn't expect an intelligent, well-mannered man to step out of a G wagon though, all I can think of is Russian mafia and Bulgarian pop singers with lip fillers . Do you get more respect in traffic than before?

ryandoak

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 1, 2018
South Ogden, Utah
Since times are crazy enough I have decided to try something equally as crazy - owning 100 items or less.

Why?

- The idea of being able to pack everything in two suitcases and head wherever you want
- Being more mindful and avoiding lifestyle creep
- Owning what really matters rather than accumulating a ton of random stuff
- More time to focus on creating value for others and less detractions/stress
- Be able to quickly adjust lifestyle/location when needed to make the most of opportunities

View attachment 32994

“I remember going into Steve’s house and he had almost no furniture in it.
He just had a picture of Einstein, whom he admired greatly, and he had a Tiffany lamp and a chair and a bed.
He just didn’t believe in having lots of things around but he was incredibly careful in what he selected.”

So with this in mind I am going to start a progress thread and try document what this is actually like.
I won't be trying to push "minimalism" either way - I am genuinely curious if it feels as good as all the hype says - or if it sucks!

I will try document everything here and share any benefits/negative aspects.
Also I am going to phase into this - nothing too crazy at first but if it feels right I will keep going.

I have broken it down into a few stages:
Stage #1: clothes
Stage #2: items
Stage #3: office/work gear
Stage #4: apps, software, information, and decisions
Stage #5: living set up (apartment, bank account, travel etc)

If all goes well I should be able to pack everything into my car/get on a plane and go live wherever I want this time next year (if travel is still a thing ha!).

A quick note: This is just an experiment for me and I don't judge in any way people buying as many things as they like/living whatever way they want.
I don't care too much for minimalism as some kinda movement - I just personally enjoy having less to worry about and more freedom/mobility in my life.

My goal is NOT to be obsessed with how many items I own but rather to live in a way that maximises what I value.
There are a lot of people who take this stuff way too far. My approach will be to try it out and see how it fits.

----

I started phase one today...

From this:

View attachment 32995

To this:

View attachment 32996

I put everything else in bags and if in 30 days I feel I want to keep going I will donate them all...

View attachment 32997

This will probably be my approach for each phase - find the minimum amount of _____ type of item I want to keep and then test it for 30 days before removing.

So that is it for now. I will update as I go and let you know how things have been.

If you got any questions or want to jump in with your own thoughts please do.
I'm currently accepting clothing donations. Send me your shit, please.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Hello I joined Fox web school last month sept 26 2020 and in just exactly 1 month i got my first...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hey @Lex DeVille ! Having some issues with the NOREGRETS code? Udemy thinks it has expired...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom