The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is minimalism worth it? A journey to owning 100 items or less

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Since times are crazy enough I have decided to try something equally as crazy - owning 100 items or less.

Why?

- The idea of being able to pack everything in two suitcases and head wherever you want
- Being more mindful and avoiding lifestyle creep
- Owning what really matters rather than accumulating a ton of random stuff
- More time to focus on creating value for others and less detractions/stress
- Be able to quickly adjust lifestyle/location when needed to make the most of opportunities

“I remember going into Steve’s house and he had almost no furniture in it.
He just had a picture of Einstein, whom he admired greatly, and he had a Tiffany lamp and a chair and a bed.
He just didn’t believe in having lots of things around but he was incredibly careful in what he selected.”

So with this in mind I am going to start a progress thread and try document what this is actually like.
I won't be trying to push "minimalism" either way - I am genuinely curious if it feels as good as all the hype says - or if it sucks!

I will try document everything here and share any benefits/negative aspects.
Also I am going to phase into this - nothing too crazy at first but if it feels right I will keep going.

I have broken it down into a few stages:
Stage #1: clothes
Stage #2: items
Stage #3: office/work gear
Stage #4: apps, software, information, and decisions
Stage #5: living set up (apartment, bank account, travel etc)

If all goes well I should be able to pack everything into my car/get on a plane and go live wherever I want this time next year (if travel is still a thing ha!).

A quick note: This is just an experiment for me and I don't judge in any way people buying as many things as they like/living whatever way they want.
I don't care too much for minimalism as some kinda movement - I just personally enjoy having less to worry about and more freedom/mobility in my life.

My goal is NOT to be obsessed with how many items I own but rather to live in a way that maximises what I value.
There are a lot of people who take this stuff way too far. My approach will be to try it out and see how it fits.

----

I started phase one today...

From this:

To this:

I put everything else in bags and if in 30 days I feel I want to keep going I will donate them all...

This will probably be my approach for each phase - find the minimum amount of _____ type of item I want to keep and then test it for 30 days before removing.

So that is it for now. I will update as I go and let you know how things have been.

If you got any questions or want to jump in with your own thoughts please do.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Since times are crazy enough I have decided to try something equally as crazy - owning 100 items or less.

Why?

- The idea of being able to pack everything in two suitcases and head wherever you want
- Be able to quickly adjust lifestyle/location when needed to make the most of opportunities

View attachment 32994

He just had a picture of Einstein, whom he admired greatly, and he had a Tiffany lamp and a chair and a bed.
He just didn’t believe in having lots of things around but he was incredibly careful in what he selected.”

So with this in mind I am going to start a progress thread and try document what this is actually like.
I won't be trying to push "minimalism" either way - I am genuinely curious if it feels as good as all the hype says - or if it sucks!

Also I am going to phase into this - nothing too crazy at first but if it feels right I will keep going.

If all goes well I should be able to pack everything into my car/get on a plane and go live wherever I want this time next year (if travel is still a thing ha!).

A quick note: This is just an experiment for me and I don't judge in any way people buying as many things as they like/living whatever way they want.
I don't care too much for minimalism as some kinda movement - I just personally enjoy having less to worry about and more freedom/mobility in my life.

My goal is NOT to be obsessed with how many items I own but rather to live in a way that maximises what I value.
There are a lot of people who take this stuff way too far. My approach will be to try it out and see how it fits.

----

From this:

View attachment 32995

To this:

View attachment 32996

I put everything else in bags and if in 30 days I feel I want to keep going I will donate them all...

View attachment 32997

This will probably be my approach for each phase - find the minimum amount of _____ type of item I want to keep and then test it for 30 days before removing.

So that is it for now. I will update as I go and let you know how things have been.

I used to pride myself on being able to move in a car load, and I loved motorbike trips because you were really restricted in what you could take.

My line was (still is kinda) “If in doubt, throw it out.”

That all went out the window when I got married and had kids. Now it’s more “I can move in a lorry load.”

I still like having only two pairs of jeans though!

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
I too have slowly been getting rid of all my stuff for a few years now. It was really hard at first but after a few months or even weeks, you forgot you even had certain things in the first place. Owning even 4 pairs of trainers would be over the top for me now.

Backpacking around Australia with everything you need in one bag definitely helped reinforce the idea that less is better. I don't think I can ever go back to owning 'stuff'.

Excited to see your thoughts on this lifestyle change Fox.

D

Deleted78083

Yeah, when i feel bad, i throw stuff away, always feel better afterwards.

You think you own stuff but the stuff ends up owning you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Consumerism is focusing on things

Minimalism is focusing on things

I am not focusing on having as little things as possible. I try to ignore it altogether. It’s not the focus whatsoever.

Bruno Calisso

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 26, 2019
Portugal
I too have been reducing my stuff in the last years inspired by minimalism and it's benefits, just make sure to not become a fundamentalist about it, some guys go too far to the non sense point of sleeping in the floor and selling everything they have.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Imagine everyone does that
Suddenly the economy grinds to a halt

Anyway, you don't have a tux, what do you wear after 6pm? :playful:

*edit*
You all owe it to global prosperity to buy as much as you can
Now get those black credit cards out and spend spend spend

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I prefer to focus on the space than the things.

I’ll clear my wardrobes so there’s more hanging space, clear my bookshelves so there’s more space between the books, (try to) clear my project list so there’s more space to breathe.

D

DeletedUser0287

Why?

View attachment 32994

----

From this:

View attachment 32995

To this:

View attachment 32996

View attachment 32997

Why not sell, instead of donate? Or is the stuff too used? For this minimalism to work you gotta go BIFL then.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I too have been reducing my stuff in the last years inspired by minimalism and it's benefits, just make sure to not become a fundamentalist about it, some guys go too far to the non sense point of sleeping in the floor and selling everything they have.

Ya exactly. I just want to be able to travel where I want without having to be worrying about a bunch of stuff.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Consumerism is focusing on things

I am not focusing on having as little things as possible. I try to ignore it altogether. It’s not the focus whatsoever.

Huh? What’s wrong with being aware with how much stuff you own. It’s a pretty obvious thing when you travel a lot.

I think you missed the point altogether.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Why not sell, instead of donate? Or is the stuff too used? For this minimalism to work you gotta go BIFL then.

With the clothes I’ll probably just give away. With the office stuff though I’ll most likely be selling some stuff.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I love minimalism. I recently got me and my two kids down to two 49lb bags and a 20lb bag of legos. Yes, the legos are that important. lol. I also had a 67lb carryon roller full of books.. but.. someone told me I could live without them for six months while we traveled... humph.

Anyhoo..someday I wanna take classes so I can survive in the wilderness and meet missionaries in the jungle and write cool stories about them. I love traveling. (To be fair.. I also love whining and pouting about travel.)

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
@Fox I remember doing this in 2017, when I decided to start traveling for extended periods.

Laid out all my clothes and shoes, and picked out a few dress shirts, a few t-shirts, 2 jeans, 2 shorts, one pair of sneakers, one pair of dress shoes. The remainder, many years worth of accumulated clothes and shoes went into bags, which I immediately went to donate.

Then I listed a bunch of stuff in the "Free Stuff" section of Craigslist. Had people popping in every day for about a week, to pick up free stuff. Beds, furniture, electronics, books and whatnot. I sold only very few things. And even those sold, I mean "sold."

For instance, my leather Safavieh sectional was about $2500 and still in decent condition. I let some family have it for $50 :smile:. They were so excited.

After all said and done, I had reduced everything down to a backpack and one suit case. Everything else was video production equipment, which I intended to store at a relative's house, along with the suitcase.

Only thing I travel with till this day is the backpack. Not even one of those big a$$ "backpacker" backpacks (as I'm not a backpacker in that sense). A nice mid-sized backpack that has a bit of an Inspector Gadget magic going on. It contains everything I actually need. Everything else for day to day living is available in the airbnbs I rent in different countries.

Personally, I wasn't even one to buy and gather a ton of useless shit. I was already living semi-minimally.
So yeah, I think it's a good idea for you to give it a shot. It will ultimately give you less to worry about, at least till you get married and have kids. Which is what I imagine will happen with me too.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I love minimalism. I recently got me and my two kids down to two 49lb bags and a 20lb bag of legos. Yes, the legos are that important. lol. I also had a 67lb carryon roller full of books.. but.. someone told me I could live without them for six months while we traveled... humph.

Anyhoo..someday I wanna take classes so I can survive in the wilderness and meet missionaries in the jungle and write cool stories about them. I love traveling. (To be fair.. I also love whining and pouting about travel.)
As a kid I had about 4 giant plastic bins full of legos.

Either lego or I go.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
How about the opposite of minimalism?

A journey to owning 100 supercars and more. Featuring @Xeon

Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, Paganis & Buggattis

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
How about the opposite of minimalism?

A journey to owning 100 supercars and more. Featuring @Xeon

Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, Paganis & Buggattis

Nah, just 1 Pagani and Dan Bilzeran's sort of harem is enough for me.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Not my thing, but appealing in some ways. We might go this route for a while if we do head out of country or to PR for act 20/22.

Thinking about pairs of jeans... I probably have 10. My closet has everything from junky tee shirts to legitimate formal wear. I own like 10 suits. 100 shirts. Easy.

Tools in the garage... Probably $30k worth.

Our home is fully furnished... Probably $120k worth.

We own 3 cars.

We have room for guests.

My wife puts up 5 Christmas trees every year.

My bookshelf or cigar collection alone would blow past the 100 item limit.

I have more watches, cufflinks and guns than total possessions @Fox wants to own.

Yet, I hate mindless consumerism. I have never shopped for the sake of shopping. I’m honestly a convinced that I am a cheap a$$. But I’m living the billionaire life compared to some of y’all.

At least this minimalism thing is way better than dumpster diving and living in vans. :rofl:

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

I admire the experiment and don't mean to detract from what you're doing. Just wanted to make a comment that might help those that travel a lot.

One solution to attain the ability to "pack everything and go" is to have a travel bag filled with everything you need.

I have a suitcase that's dedicated just for travel. These are clothes that I specifically bought to put into the suitcase so I never have to deal with packing and unpacking.
  • 2 pairs of long pants
  • 9 pairs of underwear
  • 9 pairs of socks (9 is the key since you usually want to knock out laundry once a week... if you get tied up you're still good)
  • Shorts
  • Swim trunks
  • 5 polos
  • 4 t-shirts
  • 2 long sleeve shirts
  • Flip flops
  • Dress shoes
  • Sneakers
  • Toothbrush
  • Roll of toilet paper
And that's about it.

If I need to fly in two days then I'm not spending any time packing. I book the ticket and go. I don't spend any time thinking about what I need. I don't count if I forgot something. I just move.

After doing the nomad lifestyle, one thing I learned is similar to you: the less things you have the easier it is to move around.

That's why the list above is also just limited to a week's cycle. Basically just enough to not lug too much around but have enough for most occasions.

All the extra important stuff goes into a backpack - laptop, etc.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Great idea Fox, I started doing this in 2017 and never looked back. It gives you:

-More focus.
-Clarity of mind.
-Overall sense of freedom.

I strongly recommend reading "Goodbye Things"-Fumio Sasaki to dig a bit deeper into why minimalism is worth pursuing.

pumpking