The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it wise to treat myself now or should I delay it... again ? (new car question)

Anything related to matters of the mind

Jon Doe

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 28, 2023
Hi,

I'm currently reading The Fastlane Millionaire and came across this forum so maybe you can help me.

Briefly about me:
I'm a programmer in mid-thirties working for a software company in Europe.
I live in my own apartment, own one other real estate for renting airbnb-style.
I have some savings for the next apartment for rent but not enough to buy it yet.
After-hours I am working on an app I am planning to launch myself in a couple of weeks / months.

Question:
My current car lease is coming to an end in a couple of months and I have to make a decision what to do next.
I currently drive a normal mid-size sedan, new with warranty til the end of the lease.
It costs 10% of my salary + annual insurance.
I lease the car for the time of warranty because I don't want to deal with mechanics or servicing it myself.

I am considering realizing my dream of owning and driving, at least for a few years with warranty, a 3-sec-to-60 sports car.

The sports car payment would take 20% of my salary + annual insurance.

I have no interest in traveling the world or any other expensive dreams or wishes.
I do not have a family to take care of, no debts.

Would you take the lease of the dream sports car or would you wait till I could pay cash for the whole thing or something ?

The other options are:
  1. Taking a new lease for the more affordable model - like the one I have
  2. Buying out the current car I drive for 5.5 times my current salary and having to deal with servicing it at the dealer etc.
  3. ??
Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ask yourself, WHY do you want this car?

What emptiness does it fill, and will it fill it permanently, or just for 2 months?

Jon Doe

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 28, 2023
Ask yourself, WHY do you want this car?

What emptiness does it fill, and will it fill it permanently, or just for 2 months?
Thank you for the quick response!

I want this car because I have always wanted a fast, cool, sports car.
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that once I have it and drive it for let's say 5 years I would have peace in my heart that at least this one big dream I have realized in my life.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Jon Doe

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 28, 2023
Why?

Why do you want a fast, cool, sports car?

Dig deeper.

I guess it's from childhood and watching a lot of Top Gear growing up.
I watched a lot of car related content till now but never had the occasion to own and drive a really cool one for an extended period of time.
Maybe also proving to myself that I can do that.
That's what comes to my mind.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016
I used to want an expensive car but don't anymore because I value a large house and experiences more than something I would occasionally drive. There's nothing wrong with valuing a nice car but I would say in your current financial situation, you shouldn't pay for one. When you can pay for it in cash without any murmuring from your bank account, that's when you splurge on something like this. You're trying to rush on a dream purchase and it isn't going to feel as good as it would if you waited.

Jon Doe

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 28, 2023
I used to want an expensive car but don't anymore because I value a large house and experiences more than something I would occasionally drive. There's nothing wrong with valuing a nice car but I would say in your current financial situation, you shouldn't pay for one. When you can pay for it in cash without any murmuring from your bank account, that's when you splurge on something like this. You're trying to rush on a dream purchase and it isn't going to feel as good as it would if you waited.
I get your point, but I have question then.

If it wasn't the car but a big-house loan payment and occasional "travel experiences" would you then consider it ok ?

I get the waiting part also, but at the same time in a couple of years I'm gonna be 40 and my life priorities can change by then, or a number of things can happen like war, creating a family, losing the vigour of life, I don't know.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016
1. A big house? No.
2. Travel experiences? Yes.

The reason being is that your time depreciates and it mostly affects your ability to enjoy physical activities. Enjoying a day at the beach at 40 is notably better than enjoying it in your 60s. There is going to come a time when you can no longer do a particular physical activity you used to enjoy and you'll wish you allocated your time (and money) better in light of this fact. Barring some extremely unlikely accident (unless you drive a motorcycle, in which case it is far more likely), you will very likely be able to drive a car in your 60s.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hi,

I'm currently reading The Fastlane Millionaire and came across this forum so maybe you can help me.

Briefly about me:
I'm a programmer in mid-thirties working for a software company in Europe.
I live in my own apartment, own one other real estate for renting airbnb-style.
I have some savings for the next apartment for rent but not enough to buy it yet.
After-hours I am working on an app I am planning to launch myself in a couple of weeks / months.

Question:
My current car lease is coming to an end in a couple of months and I have to make a decision what to do next.
I currently drive a normal mid-size sedan, new with warranty til the end of the lease.
It costs 10% of my salary + annual insurance.
I lease the car for the time of warranty because I don't want to deal with mechanics or servicing it myself.

I am considering realizing my dream of owning and driving, at least for a few years with warranty, a 3-sec-to-60 sports car.

The sports car payment would take 20% of my salary + annual insurance.

I have no interest in traveling the world or any other expensive dreams or wishes.
I do not have a family to take care of, no debts.

Would you take the lease of the dream sports car or would you wait till I could pay cash for the whole thing or something ?

The other options are:
  1. Taking a new lease for the more affordable model - like the one I have
  2. Buying out the current car I drive for 5.5 times my current salary and having to deal with servicing it at the dealer etc.
  3. ??
Thanks
Not only should you not buy it, but with this kind of attitude, you would do yourself some good to buy a 99 Carolla and drive that for a year or 10.

You are way way way too concerned about the car you drive if you are willing to give up 10+ percent of your salary to it.

You need to free yourself from car slavery. Don't be ok with your vehicle owning the fruits of your labor for 2-4 month a year. That's asinine. Make 5x your current salary with your own business before you go "treating yourself."

You haven't earned a treat.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Mar 15, 2018
Would you take the lease of the dream sports car
If you have to ask here, in your heart you already know the answer… you just don’t want that answer.

There is a big difference between how we want the world to be and how it really is. Don’t let that desire fool you.

Zero to 60 in … no, you are going 60 to zero on your real freedom, the minute you sign a per for shit you can’t afford.

Money bills are your army, each one makes it easier to win the war.

I’m still amazed at how many people I meet who have over $100MM net worth and drive a 10 year old car…

This forum is for people who get to make f-u money, where you no longer have to even ask! Want a lambo? Buy it, it’s a rounding error on your balance sheet. No biggie.

Lastly, if you want to become an entrepreneur - stop listening to everyone and asking for their permission to do shit (correction: asking for “opinion”).

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I want to be clear, buying an awesome car for the experience is something I would never trade.

In other words, I'd do it all over again.

But here's the thing: I could afford it.

A car that sucks 20% of your income?

You can't afford it.

Moreover, I'm guessing you want this car to cover for some other mental deficiency in your life; perhaps you're not as successful as you'd like, or, you're not making enough money as you expected, and the car is a kneejerk attempt at a "F*ck you" to those realities.

The car will make you feel instantly successful, at least, for a few weeks, when deep down, you might know something else is missing.

That said, get the car... eventually.

But only do so when you truly can afford it -- and when you can finally afford it, you likely will be an entirely different person.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Buy 10 more rental properties then you won't even have to ask this question to the forum.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I was also an IT guy in my mid-thirties.

I remember asking one of my colleagues in the office if he thought I should get a Porsche or buy another rental property.

He just looked at me and asked:

"Do you want to keep working here?"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!