The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If You Were A Moderator

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It would be nice if there were a "verified fastlaner" badge, but I know that, per Vig's assertion that it has to be automated, this won't happen.

Ex: I have "Legendary" status. I still have a 9-5. The last business I started was now approximately 5 years ago and it was a failure. I came here to learn, and I do contribute where I can, but my likes driven status is a product of the fact that I simply spend a lot of time on the forum. It's essentially my social media, or as MJ put it somewhere else, my water cooler. I have lots of likes basically just because I like to hang with you people.

There really needs to be something more substantive to measure contribution.

It's really a great idea.

What would you constituted a "VETTED" user?

1) Full name and address on file?
2) Verification of net worth?
3) Verification of profitable business?

And how would I (or my employee) make the vetting process easy to confirm and not easy to defraud?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
It's really a great idea.

1) Full name and address on file?
2) Verification of net worth?

And how would I (or my employee) make the vetting process easy to confirm and not easy to defraud?

A PayPal screenshot of course

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 1.14.02 PM.png

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014

That to me is the most important thing. Net worth not as much. A person can be up or down at any given point in time, but it's what they've done and the experience they have to share that is most important.

It's honestly probably ok to let anyone with a certain amount of time on the forum or a certain number of likes "self-certify" by answering a questionnaire, and have at least 1 other member that's already in the "club" vouch for them - basically say, "yeah, I've met this guy, and he's a real person with a real business"

There's no way to outright prevent fraud, and you can't realistically ask internet forum users to send you tax returns. A true social engineer might make their way through, but pretty unlikely.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
The Illuminati don't need no stinking badges.

That to me is the most important thing. Net worth not as much. A person can be up or down at any given point in time, but it's what they've done and the experience they have to share that is most important.

It's honestly probably ok to let anyone with a certain amount of time on the forum or a certain number of likes "self-certify" by answering a questionnaire, and have at least 1 other member that's already in the "club" vouch for them - basically say, "yeah, I've met this guy, and he's a real person with a real business"

There's no way to outright prevent fraud, and you can't realistically ask internet forum users to send you tax returns. A true social engineer might make their way through, but pretty unlikely.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

IMHO the easiest/best possible way would be to take a 10 second video of your business's back-end showing sales numbers with a post-it note on the monitor with your forum name.

Even a shitty cell phone camera can do this in 2 seconds.

How much business is being done is far less important (to me) than the fact that business is actually being done. I would also encourage those numbers be purely confidential with forum admins and not public knowledge.

To me, there is this huge, huge chasm between the type of user who starts businesses and sells things, even if it's $100 per month, and a user who talks about wanting to start something up one day. The guy or gal making $100 per month has what it takes to make $200, $500, $1000, $10,000 per month in time. They are on the path and learning. They've done SOMETHING. The person who is making $0 and is still planning may very well never cross over to the "doing" phase.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
guys, you are so funny with all your jokes : " they are comments that you are ignoring "

all these crap. either you fire a guy or you read what he says.

i suggest, you create a badge " legendary arrogant guy " for guys above this circus

like me

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Very rarely I ignore someone. Then from time to time I check their posts to see if I should un-ignore them. In this case, nope.

guys, you are so funny with all your jokes : " they are comments that you are ignoring "

i suggest, you create a badge " legendary arrogant guy " for guys above this circus

like me

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
A Fastlane Hall of Shame badge for those that have been banned and deserve the title. A recently banned uberuser comes to mind :hilarious:

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Can we add two new sub-forums:

1. The Safe Room - Where users can post their needs for help and advice, where all users in this sub-form must respond in a manner that does not hurt their feelings. We can blanket it with pillows and cute little teddybears.

2. The Locker room - #lockeroomtalk

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
A Fastlane Hall of Shame badge for those that have been banned and deserve the title. A recently banned uberuser comes to mind :hilarious:

Other forums I've been on put "banned" by their name when someone gets the banhammer. Always thought it curious that this one doesn't...

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

like me

Didn't you dramatically leave the forum a few months ago and give all your rep away to someone?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Didn't you dramatically leave the forum a few months ago and give all your rep away to someone?
Every single person (to the best of my memory) that made a "I'm leaving" declaration has always come back.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
This one might not be easy...
When we highlight a piece of text here a word balloon opens to "quote/reply" Could "search the forum" be added?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I have "Legendary" status. I still have a 9-5. The last business I started was now approximately 5 years ago and it was a failure. I came here to learn, and I do contribute where I can, but my likes driven status is a product of the fact that I simply spend a lot of time on the forum. It's essentially my social media, or as MJ put it somewhere else, my water cooler. I have lots of likes basically just because I like to hang with you people.

I had this same concern. My business is nothing but a hustle. It's not Fastlane at all (it's just a living) and it's certainly not put me in a Ferrari.

But my ego likes that big red badge, not gonna lie.

Verified fastlaner, though, is NOT enough to be a contributor. We have verified Fastlaners who have done AMAs and left. They're not legendary contributors. They're not what keeps this community great.

I think 'featured user' should be it's own separate badge. THAT could be the true mark of 'legendary-ness' of the forum. It doesn't really matter if a lurker has made $20m in the past year. Why should they get a badge?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Could "search the forum" be added?

We need another way for people to not use the search feature? :p

Actually, along the same lines - there's a cool feature some forums use that auto-populate example threads after you title your new thread. Sort of a "before you post, does this answer your question?" list.

So if someone put a title in of "Should I go to college" it would pop up 4-5 other threads immediately that have similar titles like "my college dilemma", "parents want me to go to college", "here's why I dropped out of college", etc...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So if someone put a title in of "Should I go to college" it would pop up 4-5 other threads immediately that have similar titles like "my college dilemma", "parents want me to go to college", "here's why I dropped out of college", etc...

I'm convinced it doesn't matter what is done... each person who posts the "college" thread thinks their individual situation is different and special, so it deserves its own special thread. There is no forum feature that will change human nature.

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
A PayPal screenshot of courseView attachment 16024

Three comma club, fo sho

Idea: Users have the ability to hide/collapse replies. By collapsing the replies, a user can then turn any thread into a reference for themselves, or a how-to. Instead of clicking through 20 pages, they could revisit a concept and merely scroll through three.

A thread summary would be nice, but when does a thread really end? Take for example a tech forum where someone posts "my computer is doing 'x.' How do I fix it?" The answer in most instances is either the second response, which makes it a short thread, or toward the bottom if it was a big deal and a lot of work, not simply installing a driver. Or maybe highlight the banner of the the posts which answer the question, or partially answer the question.

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Is this a bug or a feature?

Some users when you click their profiles you get an error displayed and it says "this member limits who may view their full profile"

I can understand turning off private messages, that makes sense, but I don't see the value in hiding your profile?

If you wanted to see all threads started by a user, recent posts, etc... that's beneficial info that I'd assume should be public knowledge. If you recall a thread by a specific member, or a post of theirs, and can't find it in the search the logical place to look next would be the "threads started by this user" feature or "recent posts" feature, which this limiting profile option prevents.

upload_2017-9-2_10-21-49.png

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
I wish on the News Feed there was a way to toggle between replies of people I follow and replies/likes of people I follow. Maybe there is, but I haven't found it yet.

Is this a bug or a feature?

Some users when you click their profiles you get an error displayed and it says "this member limits who may view their full profile"

I can understand turning off private messages, that makes sense, but I don't see the value in hiding your profile?

If you wanted to see all threads started by a user, recent posts, etc... that's beneficial info that I'd assume should be public knowledge. If you recall a thread by a specific member, or a post of theirs, and can't find it in the search the logical place to look next would be the "threads started by this user" feature or "recent posts" feature, which this limiting profile option prevents.

View attachment 16135

That is a feature, you can adjust it in settings.

A workaround is to search for posts by that user. Not as easy as a profile, but it works.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
If you were a moderator, or if you owned the forum...

What would you do differently to make this forum better?

Anything goes. Great answers/suggestions/ideas will get you rep$$.

Suggesting MJ fire me might get your IP address banned.

Go.

*I didn't read prior threads in total so if this has been said I apologize

I love the forum as is. The discourse is great. I would say that if I could change anything as an owner, I would use my coding powers and incorporate some seriously powerful learning algorithms. I use them to point out threads as you type (specially thread topics) where what you are discussing has been brought up before. Even if it is after you submit a new thread, it would suggest that this thread exists or something.

As a new user, in this vast forum, it is hard to catch up and get everything. So sometimes it is not obvious that a thread exists about a topic. Even searching before writing doesn't help. This I think would save so much time, wasted threads, and help us newbies get up to date faster.

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
I dislike the number of clicks it takes for me to get to the INSIDERS forums.

Suggestion: that INSIDERS tab at the top? If you're signed in and have a pass, it takes you to the forum. If not, to the INSIDERS sale page.

Once I joined the INSIDERS, that tab becomes dead to me for a whole year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
Also, I'm certain cases, for privacy sake, I'd allow a user to change their public-facing name, especially if it makes them identifiable offline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.