The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If You Were A Moderator

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Also, I'm certain cases, for privacy sake, I'd allow a user to change their public-facing name, especially if it makes them identifiable offline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure you can just send a request to MJ to change your screen name.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Is this a bug or a feature?

Some users when you click their profiles you get an error displayed and it says "this member limits who may view their full profile"

I can understand turning off private messages, that makes sense, but I don't see the value in hiding your profile?

View attachment 16135

This. Hugely frustrating when you want to follow the breadcrumbs of highly valued members.

If you wanted to see all threads started by a user, recent posts, etc... that's beneficial info that I'd assume should be public knowledge. If you recall a thread by a specific member, or a post of theirs, and can't find it in the search the logical place to look next would be the "threads started by this user" feature or "recent posts" feature, which this limiting profile option prevents.

Exactly.

If you are here to contribute meaningful advice but others can't access helpful information, what's the point in participating in the forum anyway?

There are a few Legendary contributors here with a 'private' profile, and finding any nuggets of knowlege from them is like pulling teeth.

EDIT: Sad I can't read stuff from @RHL @Kak or @MidwestLandlord anymore :(

Last edited by a moderator:

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
Also, sometimes, I wish you could filter a longer thread by OP posts only. For example, @biophase 's I will help you find a product to sell on amazon thread; the main interest for that post is to see what Biophase says in response to people's product pitches. Sure, it's cool to read what other people say in response to each other, but after you've done that once, to be able to filter out all except his stuff is helpful.

It'd be great to be able to call up "Posts I've liked", for ease of reference.

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
One last one....never-ending scroll feature. Reddit Enhancement Suite does this. It basically removes the need to click next page on a thread and automatically populates on a single page when you scroll down.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Maybe I should change the title of this thread from "If you were a moderator" to "If you were a software engineer."

I dislike the number of clicks it takes for me to get to the INSIDERS forums.

One click? I can't make it any less.

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 9.30.00 AM.png

Suggestion: that INSIDERS tab at the top? If you're signed in and have a pass, it takes you to the forum. If not, to the INSIDERS sale page.

I can see how that can cause confusion. I have removed it for INSIDERS. I will also see if I can implement the suggestion of having that go to the INSIDERS forums.

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
One click? I can't make it any less.

View attachment 16363

I can see how that can cause confusion. I have removed it for INSIDERS. I will also see if I can implement the suggestion of having that go to the INSIDERS forums.

This request and the one for the "INSIDERS" tab to go to the INSIDERS forum were hand in hand.

If I am in the FORUMS section of the site, to get to the INSIDERS forum is ez pz. But, on any other section of the site, including my Profile, ABOUT, THE BOOKS, etc, I first have to click "FORUMS" and then "INSIDERS" to get to the INSIDERS forum.

If you are able to implement that, click problem solved.

Qstyle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Dec 12, 2016
A pin map showing where members live.
This... It would be great to know who I could connect to in real life...
It would be nice actually meeting like minded people.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
We could do it by IP or zip code not address.

I don't like this. I think people would be less willing to share if they became "less anonymous".

Just getting an idea of someone's location can be enough to track down a lot of info about them, when put together with other things they've posted about.

There's already a location feature, and that's under a user's avatar.

I'd only be cool with this, if there was a voluntary map that people could choose to add a pin to themselves, if they wanted to. I think Zeemaps has a community feature like this.

One way in which it would be cool, is that you could create a meetup thread, and then tag everyone that you see on the map is nearby. Meetup threads can be ineffective because they're just missed by people.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'd only be cool with this, if there was a voluntary map that people could choose to add a pin to themselves

I'd love this feature but this is the only way that makes sense IMHO.

Personally I'd happily add myself.

Qstyle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Dec 12, 2016
I don't like this. I think people would be less willing to share if they became "less anonymous".

Just getting an idea of someone's location can be enough to track down a lot of info about them, when put together with other things they've posted about.

There's already a location feature, and that's under a user's avatar.

I'd only be cool with this, if there was a voluntary map that people could choose to add a pin to themselves, if they wanted to. I think Zeemaps has a community feature like this.

One way in which it would be cool, is that you could create a meetup thread, and then tag everyone that you see on the map is nearby. Meetup threads can be ineffective because they're just missed by people.
You are right, anonymity is the great thing about the internet. Coming out of it shouldn't be forced upon someone.
Those who reached the fastlane and want to contribute while staying in the shadow should be welcome to do so.
I however haven't reached it yet and while trying to do so I'd like to connect to like minded people.
So it should indeed be a possibility to opt-in or opt-out, not a required setting.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Those who reached the fastlane and want to contribute while staying in the shadow should be welcome to do so.

This is exactly why.

The more successful folks become, generally, the less they want others to know about what they're doing. Unless there's extremely high barriers to entry and competition is not an issue... like renovating a golf course.

Taking away some anonymity could have the effect of driving these people away.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I dislike the number of clicks it takes for me to get to the INSIDERS forums.

Suggestion: that INSIDERS tab at the top? If you're signed in and have a pass, it takes you to the forum. If not, to the INSIDERS sale page.

Once I joined the INSIDERS, that tab becomes dead to me for a whole year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for this suggestion. I was able to implement it and I think it will indeed resolve some confusion.

INSIDERS can now click the INSIDERS forums direct from the top menu.

Regular users will not see this, but will instead see the INSIDERS page that links to the information.

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 1.14.49 PM.png

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
Thank you for this suggestion. I was able to implement it and I think it will indeed resolve some confusion.

INSIDERS can now click the INSIDERS forums direct from the top menu.

Regular users will not see this, but will instead see the INSIDERS page that links to the information.

View attachment 16365
Siiiiiiiick. Exactly what I was hoping for and MORE.

That drop down menu tho... NICE +rep

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
BTW for any bystanders, I have no problem implementing suggestions if the interface allows for such implementation. If I don't implement something, it's not because I don't want to, or I don't think it's a good idea. It's because the change isn't as simple as some interface configs or a pop-in plugin.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Probably not a big deal, but is your Sumo panel supposed to be on the front-end?

Sumo Panel.png

eagleye101

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 24, 2013
Athens, Greece
Hi @MJ DeMarco,

I have spotted a need on the forum you may want to take advantage of.

There are plenty of threads that are extremelly usefull and insightful but usually these threads have multiple pages that makes it impossible to read or it would take days to go through the whole thread and sometimes there is irrelevant information that unfortunatelly we have to read with the gold included in those threads.

("need" language alert) If only there was a way to read the important info in these threads I'd be willing to pay for it.

Maybe, if you could hire freelancers to read the whole thread and create a pdf with the important info on each thread and make it downloadable with internal links that connect to the specific reply that this infomration was mentioned. Maybe you could sell each pdf download for a small price but with the magnitude of people reading each thread it could make a great side profit to you and help us get much more value for the time investing in reading each topic.

Thanks a lot

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
I'm convinced it doesn't matter what is done... each person who posts the "college" thread thinks their individual situation is different and special, so it deserves its own special thread. There is no forum feature that will change human nature.

I think clicking on the 'Post New Thread' button should redirect to confirmation page with a checkbox at the bottom.

For example
When user clicks:
Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 3.15.50 AM.png
User is redirected to:

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 3.10.16 AM.png
(source: Stack Overflow)

The redirect page could also include the forum rules, which are ~5 full page scrolls down on the main page and hard to notice.

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Hi @MJ DeMarco,
There are plenty of threads that are extremelly usefull and insightful but usually these threads have multiple pages that makes it impossible to read or it would take days to go through the whole thread and sometimes there is irrelevant information that unfortunatelly we have to read with the gold included in those threads.

MJ recently added the "Most Liked Posts" feature, where it sorts posts by number of likes.

It's not a perfect solution, but it might work for what you need.

d128359925c8e8c032f14e6a9f7c2753.png

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If only there was a way to read the important info

Sort by posts likes, that's it's intended job. Not perfect, but yields 90% better info.

eagleye101

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 24, 2013
Athens, Greece
Thank you for the reply @MJ DeMarco

I have another suggestion:

You mention in your book that there are people coming to the forum asking questions like "what do you guys face problems with" and similar ones looking for needs.

Well, why not feature it?
Here's what I mean: There could be a thread called "fastlane forum need approval" or whatever, in which the roles would be reversed. You or another moderator would ask "what do you guys need" and explaining the concept, so instead of people coming to ask for what others need, they can just write whay they need and if there are people in the forum that:
  1. offer this service
  2. are willing to create a product to solve this problem or
  3. have used other people's products to solve this problem
For example, I'm struggling with fb-ads. My ROI is sh*t. I could go and buy a course to learn about fb-ads (which I did on Udemy) but here's the thing: there are thousands of people offering fb-ads advice and most of them suck. I wasted hours on a highly reviewed course and learned basic stuff that I already knew.

So I'd prefer to learn from a fastlane forum member who may have read your books and is offering actual value instead of bro marketing. What this would do, would make it clear to people seeking for needs if there's a demand or not so they could offer it or suggest someone else offering it. And with the power of the crowd, bro marketers would not survive. Only the real value offering people would.

Thanks

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
A character limit - only users with certain points/rep can increase their limit.

I think MJ is one of the most concise fellows on this forum, yet his words weigh more than 100 noobs.

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
A character limit - only users with certain points/rep can increase their limit.

I think MJ is one of the most concise fellows on this forum, yet his words weigh more than 100 noobs.
Terrible idea. Elon Musk might join, but we would only be able to see his twitter typing.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Terrible idea. Elon Musk might join, but we would only be able to see his twitter typing.
I think that’s the beauty of it, why wouldn’t Elon just do a video if he had that much to say?

A person like Elon loves Twitter because he doesn’t have to write long essays.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

Writing progress threads would be a disaster of multiple posts.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Geez! I'm having flash backs from selling appliances, televisions, camera's, sporting goods, and clothing at K-mart as a teenager. The Blue Light Special Flashing in the Air, and having to get on the intercom and pitch a sale in a certain department. Been so long ago. I have to laugh with that Blue Light Flashing, and being and Introvert, and my boss saying, "You have to get on the intercom in the whole store." That was back in 1988-1992. I got used to it after awhile, kind of second nature.

LMAO: Back in the day this was me.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGanHnDxJlg

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Geez! I'm having flash backs from selling appliances, televisions, camera's, sporting goods, and clothing at K-mart as a teenager. The Blue Light Special Flashing in the Air, and having to get on the intercom and pitch a sale in a certain department. Been so long ago. I have to laugh with that Blue Light Flashing, and being and Introvert, and my boss saying, "You have to get on the intercom in the whole store." That was back in 1988-1992. I got used to it after awhile, kind of second nature.

Not to mention listening the Rainbow Vac speech a zillion times, because seemed like everyone I knew, but me was selling those vacs, Kirby, Amway, Beauty Control, Avon, and always volunteered listening, but rarely bought the product. lol

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
A character limit

There have been some absolutely fantastic threads started by new users that started as gigantic "mini novel" posts.

Also, the problem with post count limits and such is they are super easy to game and encourages the wrong kinds of behaviors. If you need 1,000 posts before you hit some threshold, someone is going to look at that as a challenge and say "cool" (or similar) to hundreds of threads.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France

this leads to an award " most well written post of the day/week/ month / whatever "

but you have to put in place a new special button " thank you for your english skills "

or whatever.

you get the point.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.