• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

If You Were A Moderator

Discussion in 'Forum News, Updates, & FAQs' started by Vigilante, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $182,652
    If you were a moderator, or if you owned the forum...

What would you do differently to make this forum better?

Anything goes. Great answers/suggestions/ideas will get you rep$$.

Suggesting MJ fire me might get your IP address banned.

Go.

2. Matthew E.

Matthew E. . Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,170
    Somehow limit the driveBy crazies?

3. Jake

Jake Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,290
    Some sort of filter for the Insiders area besides $.

Time/Rep/personal credentials or other means to keep spies and lurkers out. Maybe an updated list of who's on the inside. It could be members are invited in by other members that they've personally met.

Maybe a 2nd tier of insidership that I probably won't be invited to lol (maybe it already exists?)

Cut down on the amount of forums. It's not always easy deciding where to place a new topic. The only way I view the forum is by new posts.

Besides that..great place. Great set of Mods.

4. Dwee

Dwee Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $261
    I think profanity directed towards other members of the forum should be grounds for a serious warning and potentially be grounds for banning. It seems like it's on the rise lately. It's one thing to critically assess someone's ideas and to call them "S___", but to straight up say "F___ you, F__ yourself, you're a B_____ etc" or something of that nature to the other members is simply childish and troll like behavior.

It doesn't personally offend me (Heck I've fished commercially for years and it's true what they say about sailors!), but I think it could send a bad message to newcomers that come here looking for insight and guidance. Or who knows maybe it shows them they need to develop a thick skin.....

My two cents.

5. kph200

kph200 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $323
    I would highly appreciate if we can bookmark post and threads so it will be easy to search. Sometimes searching posts consumes lots of time.

P.S: I know it can be done if you have insider subscription, but non insiders sometimes have heck of a time finding favorite post.

6. marklov

marklov It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,523
    Maybe add a dislike/neg rep or even just a warning level to help track/weed out toxic members.

7. topherea

topherea Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,043
    Index members according to skill set and then rank them. Add the rank and area of expertise to the avatar area. Perhaps a list of what qualifies as verification should be displayed.

This would eliminate all of the newbies from giving "advice" when they haven't been there/done that yet and identify if someone is just repeating something vs. thoughts/advice from those who actually walked the walk.

I believe this would increase the mentorship value of the forum as a whole.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Scot, nichiseven, Ron Dee and 4 others like this.
  8. Kingmaker

Kingmaker Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $299
    On forums where you can 'neg' people it quickly becomes a "whoever has more rep is always right" game. I think the rep system is fine as is. Putting someone on ignore works well for the toxic people.

9. Dwee

Dwee Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $261
    Hey kph200 there is an option to watch threads that you find interesting. It's located under the thread title name banner on the right hand side. Unfortunately I have not yet found anything that can save a favored post. That's a good idea!

10. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 I’m probably awake. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,836
    Sort 'Watched Threads' by date added?

11. kaloenneli

kaloenneli Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,428
    Two things:

1. Ignore thread function
    Some threads just make you bang your head to the wall after reading the first 3 posts. I don't need to see that thread ever again.

2. Invite-only insiders-inside
    jake already mentioned that. Alot of people are afraid of copycats and won't even post markets anymore (Not that it would matter often). But some kind of invite-only would make it a save area to talk about stuff you only tell people you know.
    It could be even a invite by vote or something. So everyone knows who gets in and who not.

p.S to the guys talking about bookmarking thread/posts: Insiders can save each post and tag them.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    mayana, nichiseven, gabeb1920 and 8 others like this.
  12. Tiger TT

Tiger TT Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,254
    I have three suggestions:

1. It would be nice to have a mini guide on how to
    start a business from scratch for beginners.

This may be a guide or a list of forum threads in
    a specific order.

2. Moving the whole forum to "https" would bring
    more trust to the whole experience in my opinion (but
    I know it's not an easy work).

3. Also please keep the software that is installed
    on the server up to date. If you are not able to
    do this for some reason, then you may use
    a proxy website firewall so that it does virtual
    patching.

13. theag

theag Most Aggressive Guy on the Internet on the Planet Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $50,358
  14. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $182,652
    Two demerits

15. theag

theag Most Aggressive Guy on the Internet on the Planet Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $50,358
    You wish you had that negative button now, right? :innocent: :halo:

Dramolion, Tommo, nichiseven and 10 others like this.
  16. Ubermensch

Ubermensch Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $425
    It would be cool to have a "like" versus "dislike" function. Just as we now can click "like" for a good post, we could click "dislike" for a post we find crappy.

To keep it from getting out of hand, you could limit or negate the effect of "dislike" on the rep bank.

mayana, nichiseven, axiom and 4 others like this.
  17. IceCreamKid

IceCreamKid With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $128,502
    Bring back Insider Calls.

Remove penis contest threads such as the ubermensch race. Zero value in threads discussing who has the biggest penis.

Find a way to limit the newbie noise. I get it, we all started out as newbies...but there has to be some kind of process to limit the noise.

18. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute Ludicrous Speed Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,691
    I would
    • Make the forum rules more visible on the front page, so people don't have to scroll down to see them. (We are lazy!!)
    • Include this sentence from the About page in the popup, as a constant reminder:
    "Look at this forum as a CEO boardroom composed of half women, half men."

• And maybe get an undercover mod, who specialices on shoving newcomers in the right direction.

mayana, nichiseven, Mrs. BRKb and 9 others like this.
  19. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $182,652
    Agreed. In fairness to him, he didn't start that recent thread.

@AllenCrawley let's get the next insider call scheduled

mayana, nichiseven, gabeb1920 and 9 others like this.
  20. DrkSide

DrkSide Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $6,223
    Going to second this one. Not sure how to set it up but this would be beneficial. Perhaps a "Verified" badge/area that each person was actually vetted. This would add time though.
    I think this could turn into a pissing contest.

I agree with bringing back the Insider Calls as well. They didn't always line up with something that I am doing but I always got information out of them.

You could even do a monthly "Hot Seat" call where a member was put in the hot seat with others asking questions about their current level and the challenges to get to the next.

Edit: I would also bring out the banhammer more. But that is just me.

nichiseven, _Seba_, Jake and 2 others like this.
  21. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille CAUTION! I hurt people's feelings... Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $38,708
    A drip system for filtering new users before they gain the ability to post in the main forum.

Start with a forum for new member introductions & questions. Sticky common question answers. Allow only moderators, or perhaps those with enough time/rep etc. to respond to this forum to ensure it doesn't get cluttered with nonsense and negativity.

Also sticky instructions for the next steps to take to gain full access. Maybe a short course on Fastlane ideology. Or maybe something as simple as a hand-written, username signed copy of the rules emailed to a moderator for approval. If they aren't willing to take some kind of action from the get go they may not be right for this community.

Before Asking a Question

Maybe add a pop-up before new threads are created with a simple reminder of places to check for answers before posting a question that's been posted a hundred times.

Here's an example from Elegant Theme support.

Popup 1.png

LuckyPup, Scot, mayana and 15 others like this.
  22. Supa

Supa Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream. Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,632
    I like the idea, it would also be good to put the forum rules into the pop up before posting a thread.

Or if it's not done with a pop up, I like the idea of a list that leads to the post thread button, with a few boxes, that the poster has to check before he can post the thread. The text besides the boxes could be 'in line with the forum rules', 'searched for related threads' etc.

23. IGP

IGP Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,519
    How about a feature that measures your likes vs. posts and allows you certain privileges.

For example:
    If your like to post ratio is less than 1:1 you are most likely providing no value and you would need to get your likes back up by helping people before you could have access to a certain forums, threads or be able to create new posts etc.

If your like to post ratio is 1:1 you are providing a little bit of value or at least breaking even and you can perform "X"

If your like to post ration is 2:1 you are providing some value and you can perform X, & Y

3:1 = X,Y,Z
    4:1 = Almost Everything
    5+:1 = Everything

This would take some programming logic, but at least we already have the like/post data. We would just need to define the rules of each tier and go from there.

This would also help to limit the mundane, ridiculous and silly questions/threads/responses people give since they know that the quality of their post will directly impact their status.

In theory, it should do 2 things:
    1. Get rid of the worthless stuff
    2. Increase the quality of the good stuff

24. JAJT

JAJT Ha Ha! Business Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $64,929
    Is there a way of adding a "new insider posts" button in addition to the "new posts" button?

I mean here:

[​IMG]

LuckyPup, Mrs. BRKb, Dami-B and 3 others like this.
  25. BookwormMitch

BookwormMitch Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $938
    I used to post on a programming forum where you would have to apply to become a inside member by showing what code(value/action) you had contributed, and the other inside members would have a week to read it and vote yes or no. This could replace the speedway.

They also had different "badges" you could be awarded.

I don't think these would help the forum much though.

The top one is a common one discussed, but a tough one to solve. Personally, the ideal scenario for me would be to post a thread, and like Facebook, have secret categories of members like Facebook has friends. So like on Facebook is work, acquaintances, etc. So when I post a thread I can choose who see's it and who doesn't, but everyone else has no idea who I chose or if I chose public. By doing this, unless you are contributing and doing something and getting noticed, then you won't get to see anyone's secret stuff.

I'd also like to second having less categories. They are so hard to use. I never use them it's too frustrating even when I know what thread I'm looking for. I only ever use the top bar latest comments thing.

Vigilante likes this.