The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I will help you find a product to sell on Amazon

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
What about a product like this? Designer indoor enclosures for small pets. Most of what's out there looks quite boring and stands out as just a cage for a small animal. This is something that fits in with the decor of the house or kids room.
Could be targeted at Rat, Hamster, Gerbil owners etc
Could be made in different colors or wood blends.

Challenge is probably that you would need to make a fair bit of change to the item before selling or potentially even designing a basic model myself.

Upside is aimed at the higher end of the market I expect there could be a nice margin in these.
efea6efd2e041fc51948f3706eb6265b.jpg
This would be a cool niche if you could do "install kits" for existing furniture in people's homes. Then create a video/Youtube link that they get upon purchase via email showing them how to install the kit.

So, you'd ship the clear plastic piece, the hardware, and liner (so they don't permanently destroy their furniture), and maybe a couple of starter animal decor/toy pieces. You could then have repeat business with other toy purchases, lights, etc.

But, start with your MVP: the plastic, hardware, and liner. It'll be decently light to ship. Make your pieces compatible with the most common dresser drawer size.

I'm interested in hearing what biophase has to say about this idea though...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stevo1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 23, 2014
This would be a cool niche if you could do "install kits" for existing furniture in people's homes. Then create a video/Youtube link that they get upon purchase via email showing them how to install the kit.

I hadn't thought about doing it as kits for existing furniture, only as selling as one piece of furniture. In flat pack with instructions to put together. You tube video is also a great idea for instructions on how to put together.
There could be a lot of up sell on this for other pet related items. Or small pet starter kits, with the cage, bedding, wheels, lights etc.

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles

Exactly. This could be a business, not just a product.

Also, due to the MVP having three different parts, you could source from two manufacturers so that one doesn't see your whole idea and steal the market from you.

In other words, consider ordering the parts piecemeal and then assembling into a kit before shipping. It's more work though, so you have to decide if it's worth it.

Also, one improvement upon the design in the picture would be the hardware pieces. They are silver in color; consider offering gold and black options. That should cover most people's needs with their existing furniture.

In other words: Three MVP kit options. The only difference is the color of the hardware and (if visible) the liner.

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
How about pop-up cockpits for kids?

I saw something like this while travelling through Chicago airport to get back to Canada.

They had setup an indoor play area but it was all airport themed. It had runway lights, a makeshift cockpit, a children's checklist book, a ticket counter, a raised air traffic control center, etc... all highly themed but not really THAT different from any other play structure.

I've never seen a themed play structure before.
Maybe not something that works well on the Amazon platform due to cost but someone in construction and/or design could probably make a killing with some indoor/outdoor themed structure ideas.

I was genuinely bummed that it wasn't open when I was there for my kids to play in. All I could think of is "I should build something like this for them myself" but if I found pre-made, high quality paneling or decals or anything to theme-up a structure, I'd probably do that instead.

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
Let me rephrase...if I bought a bunch of Mickey mouse themed items in bulk, could I resell legally with no licensing agreement?
Often, yes, you should be able to resell.

But to what avail? What you are really doing is buying wholesale from one of Disney's licensors. That means they pay Disney to create a product they can sell to others at wholesale to sell to others at retail. And you'd better believe other people are buying from them to sell. Just look at their "Apply for Wholesale Pricing".

'Fastlaning it' would be becoming one of those licensors and selling to people (Jerry Leigh is doing well), or better yet, creating your own valuable trademark and then having Disney buy that from you.

kutlarvadisi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 15, 2015

Esoteric Wealth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 21, 2015
Hi @biophase

What do you think about this product

https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Bocce-...00BBPMDCQ/ref=cum_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I check other listing and all the negative reviews say the case the product arrived in is junk

So instead of using the same case as other sellers I will do wood case to improve the quality and differentiate myself

@biophase can you share you opinion about this prodcut ?

thank you so much for your patience with us
There's a lot of competition and even AmazonBasics Bocce Balls. There's also a lot of bocce balls with good reviews, I don't think you're really setting yourself much apart with a wooden case.

I think a better idea would to just make a nice case itself and sell that. (No balls)

Doesn't even have to be wood, could be a generic hard plastic hard case from China with some customized foam and a nice logo.

The problem I see is building a business around this.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi @biophase

What do you think about this product

https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Bocce-...00BBPMDCQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I check other listing and all the negative reviews say the case the product arrived in is junk

So instead of using the same case as other sellers I will do wood case to improve the quality and differentiate myself

@biophase can you share you opinion about this prodcut ?

thank you so much for your patience with us

So you want to do metal bocce balls vs. the others. There is one company doing metal ones and they don't have any reviews. I would think that there is no market for these. The wooden, resin or plastic ones are $15-$30 and these are $70. My guess is that this is a small small niche, and you aren't even improving the product, just its carrying case. I would pass.

MysticFenix

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 20, 2017
Portugal
Hey bio, what do you think about this product? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VVSAPJQ/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Volleyball is been one of my passions for a long time and i decided to start looking for products in this niche (volleyball training).
I think its a very helpfull product and the ones available in amazon have poor reviews, mostly because the material feels cheap. On the other hand i'm afraid that this niche is big enough to have major sales.

kutlarvadisi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 15, 2015

Attachments

• design 4.jpg
    design 4.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 32
  • design 6.jpg
    design 6.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
Hey bio, what do you think about this product? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VVSAPJQ/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Volleyball is been one of my passions for a long time and i decided to start looking for products in this niche (volleyball training).
I think its a very helpfull product and the ones available in amazon have poor reviews, mostly because the material feels cheap. On the other hand i'm afraid that this niche is big enough to have major sales.

i was thinking about this one but decided not to go maybe you can take it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036EZZZW/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

would be interesting if @biophase give this one a go!

Insane_Ben

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 1, 2015
Hi Bio,

What do you think about this product? Its basically a baby pillow that could prevent flathead and its made out of organic cotton and a breathable material on the back, so the baby head dont sweat much. Price oscilate between 15 and 20, but I see room of improvement in the listings, pictures, quality of materials, colors, etc.

The flathead syndrome is growing and I see now a lot of kids with those "cool helmets" to reshape the head, this is basically a pillow you could use while you change your baby or in the stroller, so he doesnt get flat head. I even didnt know this syndrome exists before, I think I have a flat head myself, but no time no for the cool helmet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4M5YSY/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

I would like to hear the opinion of some experts in the eccomerce field.@biophase

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

You could probably make a better and more expensive version of this. People who buy this have to be serious players or coaches.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi

I find this product :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AOB3PO/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

the bad reviews complain about the size (they are too big ) so I will make them smaller and change the design (please see the attachment) because all the sellers sell the same item with the same design

please @biophase share your opinion with us about this product
Hi

I find this product :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AOB3PO/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

the bad reviews complain about the size (they are too big ) so I will make them smaller and change the design (please see the attachment) because all the sellers sell the same item with the same design

please @biophase share your opinion with us about this product

Well Paragon makes a 4oz and 8oz size, so the people who say it's too big just ordered the wrong size.

Changing the design will probably cost you alot of money for the initial mold. I would also imagine that you would need to order a huge amount on your first order.

I don't know if these need to be improved. Do the people buying a sno cone really care what the cup looks like? I just eat it and toss it, I don't care about their color or look. All I care about is that they catch the melted liquid and keep them from getting on my hand.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Bio,

What do you think about this product? Its basically a baby pillow that could prevent flathead and its made out of organic cotton and a breathable material on the back, so the baby head dont sweat much. Price oscilate between 15 and 20, but I see room of improvement in the listings, pictures, quality of materials, colors, etc.

The flathead syndrome is growing and I see now a lot of kids with those "cool helmets" to reshape the head, this is basically a pillow you could use while you change your baby or in the stroller, so he doesnt get flat head. I even didnt know this syndrome exists before, I think I have a flat head myself, but no time no for the cool helmet.

https://www.amazon.com/Newborn-Breathable-3-Dimensional-Protection-Syndrome/dp/B01N4M5YSY/ref=sr_1_8_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1506804198&sr=1-8&keywords=baby+pillow+flat+head&th=1

I would like to hear the opinion of some experts in the eccomerce field.@biophase

Price is too low. Seems like alot of competition. I thought the listing example you gave had good photos and descriptions already.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
I just read the the top post and one of my projects sprung out from my everyday problem.

So pretty much, get the entrepreneurial mindset and just live life to get your ideas.

ClaytonE

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2013
USA
I'd probably make a product pretty close to theirs, add grommets, and rebrand it. They seem to focus on the RV market. I'd market it more to camping, survivalists, and emergency prep.

There's also a healthy line of accessories for this. Hose adapters, pumps, maybe a shower attachment, and stackable containers to hold the bladder.

That's where I'd take this product.

Is anyone taking action on this?? No? OK fine I'll do it :)

CosMoen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Feb 19, 2011
What do you think of this? Had an idea for this years ago but somebody executed on it already.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=dude+wipes

Improvements:
- Price: Currently comes out to 50 cents per wipe,
- Packaging/Marketing: Seems too obnoxious and gimmicky with the "DUDE" marketing... want to offer a cheaper no-nonsense alternative without the "DUDE" angle, but still packaged as something sleek and portable to carry.
- Quality - Product quality doesn't seem that different or special than regular baby wipes, but there definitely is a need for this in the market. Still thinking about how to improve it in this area.

Stevo1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 23, 2014
Hi Biophase, Thanks for all the advice on here. I posted the below a few days ago but it may have been over looked with a lot of other postings going on. I'd really appreciate any advice on suitability. Thanks

What about a product like this? Designer indoor enclosures for small pets. Most of what's out there looks quite boring and stands out as just a cage for a small animal. This is something that fits in with the decor of the house or kids room.

Challenge is probably that you would need to make a fair bit of change to the item before selling or potentially even designing a basic model myself.

Upside is aimed at the higher end of the market I expect there could be a nice margin in these.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I was reading this thread and have read some of biophases stuff before on how to go about finding the right product to sell, and I wanna apply it to the app industry.

App market is obviously saturated, but I believe there's always some niche out there where a simple "informational" app can make money, or a simple "utility" app that helps with some calculation or something for some very specific aspect of a niche.

Or improving an existing app with some "gamey" elements, which is easy for me since I use a game engine to make my apps.

and the best part is no upfront costs except my precious time which Ive wasted plenty of anyway...

If anyone can think of an idea ill happily make it and split 50/50 profits haha :D

Dougema

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 21, 2016
Fort Lauderdale, FL
@biophase Thank you for your help through this thread.

I believe this one goes against your tip to try to rank the product given it has a lot of competition.

However, it is something that everybody is constantly buying and probably why this product has many reviews. There is a pattern on the lower-scoring reviews that claim the blades are not very sharp and get rusty, things that should not be hard to improve for a new product. What do you guys think?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HEPY216/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
What do you think of this? Had an idea for this years ago but somebody executed on it already.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=dude+wipes

Improvements:
- Packaging/Marketing: Seems too obnoxious and gimmicky with the "DUDE" marketing... want to offer a cheaper no-nonsense alternative without the "DUDE" angle, but still packaged as something sleek and portable to carry.
- Quality - Product quality doesn't seem that different or special than regular baby wipes, but there definitely is a need for this in the market. Still thinking about how to improve it in this area.

I'm not sure if you realize you'd be competing with every toilet paper company. Cottenelle sells these for like $5 at Walmart.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Improvements:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...&rh=i:aps,k:men+wipes&tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Dude, there are at least 3-4 wipes not named DUDE on this page. Did you even search for competitors? All you are doing is selling it for less and changing its name. No value added here.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Biophase, Thanks for all the advice on here. I posted the below a few days ago but it may have been over looked with a lot of other postings going on. I'd really appreciate any advice on suitability. Thanks

Sorry, I saw it and thought I replied. This would probably be a non-FBA product as fulfillment and storage would cost alot. You probably would have to self ship this product to people. It looks like alot of work and space for me. I would pass. But if you are passionate about these pets then I would give it a shot. I would go high end and low volume.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase Thank you for your help through this thread.

I believe this one goes against your tip to try to rank the product given it has a lot of competition.

However, it is something that everybody is constantly buying and probably why this product has many reviews. There is a pattern on the lower-scoring reviews that claim the blades are not very sharp and get rusty, things that should not be hard to improve for a new product. What do you guys think?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HEPY216/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

This one has 3% 1 star reviews. I'd say that is pretty good. I don't see any room for improvement and the price is already too low. If you launch this, good luck getting ranked.

Cain

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 2, 2017
Canada
Magnetic false eyelashes.
I found these a few weeks ago and ordered some samples from 3 factories to test. One factory has promising quality.

Since I first found them however, a LOT more listings have popped up and the reviews for the top ones have skyrocketed.

BUT most of the reviews are terrible, with some exceptions.

What do you think, could a higher-quality product still get a chunk of this market?

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Magnetic false eyelashes.
I found these a few weeks ago and ordered some samples from 3 factories to test. One factory has promising quality.

Since I first found them however, a LOT more listings have popped up and the reviews for the top ones have skyrocketed.

BUT most of the reviews are terrible, with some exceptions.

What do you think, could a higher-quality product still get a chunk of this market?

The original concept is by a US company and they have a patent patending. The ones that come from China are extremely poor quality and essentially “fakes”. If you decide to get ahead with this and you import from China, get ready for a ton of returns. I say this because my friend sold over 2.5k units of these lashes. His return rate was 70%. In the end; he actually lost money.

Cain

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 2, 2017
Canada
The original concept is by a US company and they have a patent patending. The ones that come from China are extremely poor quality and essentially “fakes”. If you decide to get ahead with this and you import from China, get ready for a ton of returns. I say this because my friend sold over 2.5k units of these lashes. His return rate was 70%. In the end; he actually lost money.

Thanks for this info. I'm curious though, why was your friend unable to make sure his supplier produced acceptable quality products prior to making a full order?

Last edited:

CosMoen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Feb 19, 2011
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=men+wipes&rh=i:aps,k:men+wipes

Dude, there are at least 3-4 wipes not named DUDE on this page. Did you even search for competitors? All you are doing is selling it for less and changing its name. No value added here.

Thanks Bio!

I actually located a Japanese product that is significantly better (and cheaper). Amazon sells it and it has great reviews but its has 2 weeks shipping time. I am thinking that if I can sell this Japanese quality wipe under an American brand, with domestic shipping time, and with the prices cheaper than the American brands, that I might have a chance!

However:

1. How will I go about sourcing where they get their product manufactured? The Japanese product is made by a well-known Japanese brand cosmetic brand.

2. Do you think it would make sense for me to BUY the existing Japanese product myself, re-label it under my own brand and packaging, and then sell it as a test run first to determine sales volume? And then look into manufacturing once sales volume increases?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.