The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I started my SMMA and failed utterly.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

yashdutt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 14, 2022
India
I embarked on my so-called Social Media Marketing Agency (SMMA) during a trip to the mountains in my country with the intention of funding my journey. During that trip, I had the fortune of meeting a digital marketing freelancer who claimed to have achieved an impressive turnover of over $70,000 the previous year. We became good friends, and he even assisted me in securing my first client, a yoga school in the mountains, which required a website, social media management, and other services.

During the sales pitch, I made ambitious promises, but deep down, I sensed that I might struggle to deliver and feared the project's failure. I assured the client that the website would be ready within a week, even though my experience with creating WordPress websites was somewhat rusty, having not practiced for a year. I charged the client around $150 for the website, a common price for such services in India. However, the project ended up taking almost four weeks to complete due to my limited time availability due to university commitments, and my lack of experience caused numerous issues, resulting in a simplistic and subpar website design, which only consisted of applying a basic yoga theme and minimal edits.

Unfortunately, shortly after the website went live, the client requested a refund, and I, recognizing my failure, did not dispute it. Since then, I've tried various ventures to make money, such as starting a blog and an Instagram theme page, which garnered substantial views and followers but failed to monetize effectively. I also attempted to resell vapes in my country, but that endeavor was short-lived as it is illegal there and my parents urged me to stop. Additionally, I experimented with affiliate marketing, generating modest earnings of around $50. My lack of consistency and a tendency to quit when faced with challenges have been recurring themes throughout my entrepreneurial journey.

I am currently 19 years old. Now, as I find myself at university, I'm confronted with two options: I could focus on preparing for competitive exams and pursuing an MBA, leading to a traditional 9-5 job, or I could commit to upskilling myself and attempting another business venture, although I currently lack a clear direction for such an endeavor.

I've noticed that Indian clients are generally reluctant to pay more than a few hundred dollars for digital marketing services, which has led me to consider seeking clients abroad if I hope to escape the conventional rat race.

To all the entrepreneurs in this forum, I humbly seek your valuable insights and advice on my situation. I recognize that I've encountered several failures and obstacles along the way, and I'm unsure of the best path forward. Your guidance and expertise could greatly help me make an informed decision and chart a more successful course for my future endeavors.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I embarked on my so-called Social Media Marketing Agency (SMMA) during a trip to the mountains in my country with the intention of funding my journey. During that trip, I had the fortune of meeting a digital marketing freelancer who claimed to have achieved an impressive turnover of over $70,000 the previous year. We became good friends, and he even assisted me in securing my first client, a yoga school in the mountains, which required a website, social media management, and other services.

During the sales pitch, I made ambitious promises, but deep down, I sensed that I might struggle to deliver and feared the project's failure. I assured the client that the website would be ready within a week, even though my experience with creating WordPress websites was somewhat rusty, having not practiced for a year. I charged the client around $150 for the website, a common price for such services in India. However, the project ended up taking almost four weeks to complete due to my limited time availability due to university commitments, and my lack of experience caused numerous issues, resulting in a simplistic and subpar website design, which only consisted of applying a basic yoga theme and minimal edits.

Unfortunately, shortly after the website went live, the client requested a refund, and I, recognizing my failure, did not dispute it. Since then, I've tried various ventures to make money, such as starting a blog and an Instagram theme page, which garnered substantial views and followers but failed to monetize effectively. I also attempted to resell vapes in my country, but that endeavor was short-lived as it is illegal there and my parents urged me to stop. Additionally, I experimented with affiliate marketing, generating modest earnings of around $50. My lack of consistency and a tendency to quit when faced with challenges have been recurring themes throughout my entrepreneurial journey.

I am currently 19 years old. Now, as I find myself at university, I'm confronted with two options: I could focus on preparing for competitive exams and pursuing an MBA, leading to a traditional 9-5 job, or I could commit to upskilling myself and attempting another business venture, although I currently lack a clear direction for such an endeavor.

I've noticed that Indian clients are generally reluctant to pay more than a few hundred dollars for digital marketing services, which has led me to consider seeking clients abroad if I hope to escape the conventional rat race.

To all the entrepreneurs in this forum, I humbly seek your valuable insights and advice on my situation. I recognize that I've encountered several failures and obstacles along the way, and I'm unsure of the best path forward. Your guidance and expertise could greatly help me make an informed decision and chart a more successful course for my future endeavors.
Don't think of them as failures, think of them as lessons.

Try not to overpromise, and make sure you deliver what you promised when you promised (or keep them in the loop if things are slipping).

You'll make progress if you turn up on time, have manners, do what you say you're going to do (or let people know if it's slipping), and are competent.

Oh, and progress is made by overcoming hurdles in front of us. If you quit at the hurdle in front of you then you stop making progress. Simple.

This might help:

yashdutt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 14, 2022
India
Don't think of them as failures, think of them as lessons.

Try not to overpromise on calls, and make sure you deliver what you promised when you promised (or keep them in the loop if things are slipping).

You'll make progress if you turn up on time, have manners, do what you say you're going to do (or let people know if it's slipping), and are competent.

Oh, and progress is made by overcoming hurdles in front of us. If you quit at the hurdle in front of you then you stop making progress. Simple.

This might help:
The main mistake I think I made was I didnt know how to design a professional website with wordpress. Also, I offered him a lot of services which I could not handle all by Myself due to lack of experience. I think my next action plan is to learn making websites through wordpress and learning web development for high ticket clients. Once I gain expertise in that I would probably go for Search Engine optimization and making ad copies

yashdutt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 14, 2022
India
The main mistake I think I made was I didnt know how to design a professional website with wordpress. Also, I offered him a lot of services which I could not handle all by Myself due to lack of experience. I think my next action plan is to learn making websites through wordpress and learning web development for high ticket clients. Once I gain expertise in that I would probably go for Search Engine optimization and making ad copies
Also I thought there is a lot of saturation and competition in digital marketing. But in reality there is very less competition and a huge target audience. It is a field that can evolve in the future but can never be saturated

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You mistake wasn't that you couldn't create a great WordPress website. Your mistake was that you set the wrong expectations.

When I started with Google Ads I told people what I'd done for a friend and what I'd try for them.

I told them we wouldn't know what would happen till we loaded campaigns, but I'd run them on as low a budget as possible and see what happened in a month.

Prospects liked the sound of that and some signed up. 14 years later I still say that.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Btw... I just reread your title.

We only fail utterly if we quit.

yashdutt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 14, 2022
India
Yeah for real though, I really appreciate you replying to this thread andy. I will keep posting as soon as I start with my action plan and stop wantrepreneuring
Btw... I just reread your title.

We only fail utterly if we quit.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Yes, you've to seek contracts and work abroad outside India (aka virtual work) to make any decent $$$. You will earn a lot more just by the currency arbitrage alone. How good are you at getting sales? E.g: you can get clients easily?

yashdutt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 14, 2022
India
You mistake wasn't that you couldn't create a great WordPress website. Your mistake was that you set the wrong expectations.

When I started with Google Ads I told people what I'd done for a friend and what I'd try for them.

I told them we'd not know what would happen till we loaded campaigns, but I'd run them on as low a budget as possible and see what happened in a month.

Prospects liked the sound of that and some signed up. 14 years later I still say that.

Yes, you've to seek contracts and work abroad outside India (aka virtual work) to make any decent $$$. You will earn a lot more just by the currency arbitrage alone. How good are you at getting sales? E.g: you can get clients easily?
Yeah, I mean I recently implemented a strategy for getting my first client which bailed out. I just asked a lot of questions about his business and made him talk about his own issues with his business. I really need to do better with sales but I don't think the issue here with me is about sales. It's about underdelivery. I don't have the relevant skills to get clients for the business as an SMMA. Also I wanna get into web design first as I've had some experience with wordpress before. I just don't know whether I should learn frontend or backend programming languages and even if I learn 1 language will I be able to deliver a fully functional website to a client with which they are satisfied with.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yeah, I mean I recently implemented a strategy for getting my first client which bailed out. I just asked a lot of questions about his business and made him talk about his own issues with his business. I really need to do better with sales but I don't think the issue here with me is about sales. It's about underdelivery. I don't have the relevant skills to get clients for the business as an SMMA. Also I wanna get into web design first as I've had some experience with wordpress before. I just don't know whether I should learn frontend or backend programming languages and even if I learn 1 language will I be able to deliver a fully functional website to a client with which they are satisfied with.
Maybe try not to focus on "learning"?

Watch the 8 min video here:

adnanazmi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 22, 2023
Colombo, Sri Lana

Try this:

Make the website for 5 clients for FREE. YES FREE. Why? because you suck at making websites at the moment! Tell them that you require only that if they liked the website for them to leave a killer review. Polish your skills. Keep doing this until you are pretty good at it and then start charging. ETC.

## Getting your first customers

Choose a Platform for Messaging

• Pick one platform where you have the most people for messaging or emailing.
  • Example: If you have more Instagram people, start there.
Personalize Your Messages✉️❤️
  • Use something you know about the person to initiate reaching out.
  • Example: Mention a common interest or recent event like a new job or movie watched.
Reach Out to 100 People Daily
  • Commit to contacting a set number of people every single day.
  • Example: If you have 3,000 contacts, start messaging and get over the fear of reaching out.
Warm Up Replies with the ACA Framework
  • Acknowledge, Compliment, and Ask to engage with people.
  • Example: Acknowledge they have two kids, compliment them as a super mom, and then ask a related question.
Invite Their Friends
  • Ask if they know anyone looking for your services, without selling to them directly.
  • Example: “Do you know anyone who's looking for X, Y, and Z?”
Transition Leads to Engaged Leads
  • Make a free offer to convert interest into commitment.
  • Example: Offer your service for free in exchange for using it, giving feedback, and leaving a review.
Get More Reps by Starting with Free Offers
  • Start offering your service for free to learn, get experience, and gather testimonials.
  • Example: A beginner video editor offering free short videos.
Ask for Referrals if Rejected, Even in Jest
  • If someone says no, humorously ask if there's anyone they dislike who might need your service.
  • Example: “Haha, does anyone you hate come to mind?”
Identify and Eliminate Hidden Costs
  • Understand why someone might reject a free offer and work to remove those barriers.
  • Example: A video maker removed all hidden costs by doing everything for the client.
Get Your First Customers and Restart the Cycle
  • Once you've succeeded with free clients, go back to the list and reach out again.
  • Example: Reach out to 3,000 people with a free offer to get five clients.
Start Charging Gradually⏫
  • As referrals come in, change from free to discounted offers, gradually increasing the price.
  • Example: Move from 80% off to 60%, then 40%, 20%, and eventually over full price.
Increase Value and Adjust Pricing
  • Continuously improve your service, increasing the value and adjusting the pricing accordingly.
  • Example: Start at full retail price, then go 20% over or even 40% over as you improve.
Use Customer Feedback to Improve
  • Learn from the feedback given by clients and make the necessary adjustments to your service.
  • Example: Use free clients’ feedback to make the service better for paying clients.
Warren Buffett and Ben Graham Story - Work for Free to Learn
  • Sometimes working for free is beneficial as it provides experience and growth opportunities.
  • Example: Warren Buffett offered to work for Ben Graham for free and was told he was getting the better end of the deal.
## Product Building
- When building your product, **focus on creating the most value for your customers.**
- Ask yourself, what features or aspects of the product will provide the most value to your target audience?
- Additionally, consider the profit aspect of your product. How can you make it more profitable for your business?
- Finally, think about the overall customer experience. What needs to happen for your customers to have a remarkable, positive, and memorable experience with your product?
- By addressing these three areas - **value, profit, and experience** - you can build a product that stands out and meets the needs of your customers.

I use Carrd to create websites so far it is pretty good and simple to use. It has limited features but it is simple.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Maybe your strength is in sales and getting clients? If so, you should probably partner with a designer (for aesthetics) and a frontend and backend dev for the coding. Maybe you know someone in your school who can do those. And work out the % split in profits. Also, it helps to service a specific niche/industry for SMMA/web dev work in the beginning.

yashdutt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 14, 2022
India
Try this:

Make the website for 5 clients for FREE. YES FREE. Why? because you suck at making websites at the moment! Tell them that you require only that if they liked the website for them to leave a killer review. Polish your skills. Keep doing this until you are pretty good at it and then start charging. ETC.

## Getting your first customers

Choose a Platform for Messaging

• Pick one platform where you have the most people for messaging or emailing.
  • Example: If you have more Instagram people, start there.
Personalize Your Messages✉️❤️
  • Use something you know about the person to initiate reaching out.
  • Example: Mention a common interest or recent event like a new job or movie watched.
Reach Out to 100 People Daily
  • Commit to contacting a set number of people every single day.
  • Example: If you have 3,000 contacts, start messaging and get over the fear of reaching out.
Warm Up Replies with the ACA Framework
  • Acknowledge, Compliment, and Ask to engage with people.
  • Example: Acknowledge they have two kids, compliment them as a super mom, and then ask a related question.
Invite Their Friends
  • Ask if they know anyone looking for your services, without selling to them directly.
  • Example: “Do you know anyone who's looking for X, Y, and Z?”
Transition Leads to Engaged Leads
  • Make a free offer to convert interest into commitment.
  • Example: Offer your service for free in exchange for using it, giving feedback, and leaving a review.
Get More Reps by Starting with Free Offers
  • Start offering your service for free to learn, get experience, and gather testimonials.
  • Example: A beginner video editor offering free short videos.
Ask for Referrals if Rejected, Even in Jest
  • If someone says no, humorously ask if there's anyone they dislike who might need your service.
  • Example: “Haha, does anyone you hate come to mind?”
Identify and Eliminate Hidden Costs
  • Understand why someone might reject a free offer and work to remove those barriers.
  • Example: A video maker removed all hidden costs by doing everything for the client.
Get Your First Customers and Restart the Cycle
  • Once you've succeeded with free clients, go back to the list and reach out again.
  • Example: Reach out to 3,000 people with a free offer to get five clients.
Start Charging Gradually⏫
  • As referrals come in, change from free to discounted offers, gradually increasing the price.
  • Example: Move from 80% off to 60%, then 40%, 20%, and eventually over full price.
Increase Value and Adjust Pricing
  • Continuously improve your service, increasing the value and adjusting the pricing accordingly.
  • Example: Start at full retail price, then go 20% over or even 40% over as you improve.
Use Customer Feedback to Improve
  • Learn from the feedback given by clients and make the necessary adjustments to your service.
  • Example: Use free clients’ feedback to make the service better for paying clients.
Warren Buffett and Ben Graham Story - Work for Free to Learn
  • Sometimes working for free is beneficial as it provides experience and growth opportunities.
  • Example: Warren Buffett offered to work for Ben Graham for free and was told he was getting the better end of the deal.
## Product Building
- When building your product, **focus on creating the most value for your customers.**
- Ask yourself, what features or aspects of the product will provide the most value to your target audience?
- Additionally, consider the profit aspect of your product. How can you make it more profitable for your business?
- Finally, think about the overall customer experience. What needs to happen for your customers to have a remarkable, positive, and memorable experience with your product?
- By addressing these three areas - **value, profit, and experience** - you can build a product that stands out and meets the needs of your customers.

I use Carrd to create websites so far it is pretty good and simple to use. It has limited features but it is simple.
Thank you man, this is really powerful, I am trying to get into the technical stuff right now... because I wanna build a few websites before approaching anyone so that I can gain confidence. Also, I'll probably pick a certain niche and start stalking all the businesses in that niche lol and find the pain points. Right now I'm kinda hesitant and doubtful on my skills which really need some finishing. I wanna deliver quality stuff to my clients and help them get leads.

yashdutt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 14, 2022
India
Maybe your strength is in sales and getting clients? If so, you should probably partner with a designer (for aesthetics) and a frontend and backend dev for the coding. Maybe you know someone in your school who can do those. And work out the % split in profits. Also, it helps to service a specific niche/industry for SMMA/web dev work in the beginning.
I'm doing a business degree course in my university right now and there's absolutely no one who's into coding or web dev. Even if there were, I'd like to start all by myself as a one person company.
This thread gave me a lot of insights - GOLD! - Humble Hustle & adding value via Web Business - Progress thread

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

yashdutt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 14, 2022
India
Thank you sir

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 1, 2023
Yeah for real though, I really appreciate you replying to this thread andy. I will keep posting as soon as I start with my action plan and stop wantrepreneuring
im with you on this brother.. i have a very similar story.. we will make it!!!

yashdutt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 14, 2022
India

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Responding to the OP:

Rule #1 of business: under promise and over deliver.

My lack of consistency and a tendency to quit when faced with challenges have been recurring themes throughout my entrepreneurial journey.

Until you figure this out, nothing you do will be successful.

Tenacity and grit is often what separates failures from the successes.

yashdutt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 14, 2022
India
Tenacity and grit is often what separates failures from the successes.
I totally agree! I've started working on a more specific niche Now from the beginning. It's been a while and I find working on it amazing.

I've explained the current situation here- MINDSET - CHAT - WEB DESIGN - Finding your CORE DESIRE and constructing life around it

Thank you so much for your response!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.