• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

WEB SCHOOL Humble Hustle & adding value via Web Business - Progress thread

Discussion in 'Web Design as a Hustle' started by BlackMagician, Sep 5, 2018.

1. BlackMagician

BlackMagician Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $356
    Hi Seniors & Mentors,

A simple hustle to learn, grow and achieve freedom.

To keep it short and not take much time of the reader, here is small intro and what i am doing currently:

In morning, I look for local clients to contact. I am targeting specific niches. Crafting a personal email for each of them (5-6/day) and sending.
    Then i go to Job. At job, i try to find time and learn something new.

and then DO nothing.
    I am action faking right now. I think stuck somewhere in DOD. :happy:

and then, their is this Fear of cold calling. I am thinking to cold call those whom i have emailed, but fear got me good until today.

Hence, starting this thread so that i take more real actions.

Ok Enough about me.

I will be posting whatever i do. 1-2 per week. Not more than that or i will action fake on TFF:wideyed:

P.S- My job timing is 10:30 to 8:30 + 2 hours travel. But the job is a dead job. No pressure, much free time (which i used to procrastinate before joining TFF).

Dramolion likes this.
  2. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $356
    So i just made a cold call to client who i emailed yesterday.

That call was horrible.:clench:

Here it is:
    Call@09987029481(09987029481)_20180905192637.mp3

First cold call ever done. Feeling good now.

Lessons learned after hearing the recording:

• Be Bold and Confident with little enthusiasm
    • Speak clear
    • If you feel that the person could be busy, change your first question to "do you have a minute to talk"...

Please give your thoughts seniors.:blush:

Crazy GG likes this.
  3. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $356
    Can someone please kick-my-a$$. Really please.
    I have been procrastinating the whole month of October. Did nothing.

In September, I emailed around 100 businesses and didn't received a single response, maybe that is the reason i have procrastinated this month.

I am active on the forum, reading others hustle, and now feeling guilty of doing nothing.
    I have reading @Crazy GG cold call thread and his/her persistence will. I want to be take action like him. I will. I am starting again, and will take actions now.

So for now a short summary of what i have done till today:

I have completed 1 event website and delivered good results as the owner was very happy and have earned back the investment he did.

Completed 2 graphic design related work (flyer/banner) for my previous employer. I charged him 50$ for that, and he received $7K order through that.

Lessons learned:
    As @Andyblack says, HELP someone. I have helped the owner with setting up his social accounts, designed a carry bag for free, and now he is giving a website project plus all his digital marketing task to me. But it will be after 2 months, not now.

From now, i am back, and will strive again to help more people and solve problems through webdesign and digital marketing.

Thanks.

Silver Silk, Andy Black and Roz like this.
  4. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $356
    After pushing myslef for cold email/cold calling, i come to know that its very difficult for me, and i am good in networking directly. So i am doing direct communication.

I have good amount of network with businesses and people, so i will be taking this approach.

Last sunday, a meeting was schedule with a local fish business client through my network.
    They client wants to go online and have shopping android app. He wants to do FB marketing to increase the app installation and sales via apps.

We started discussing everything on Lunch, I gave him some tips to improve his app for sales oriented. This step impressed him. To better help him, i talked with his developer (client is not techy) and explained him on the changes and improvements.

I also advice him to create a standee banner infront of his office so that his current customers will know that they can order fish online. I promise him to create a banner for him for upfront free.

After that, we discussed everything on marketing the app. Deal was finally closed on
    ₹10k/Month.

This is my first deal on digital marketing and recurring sales. I am quite happy.

Through this meeting and previous experience i assume that i am quite comfortable to talk face to face and have Listening skill.

Lessons Learned:

Ask questions. Ask right questions at right time to our clients. I need to learn this better. If we ask them right questions, they get attracted to us and try to explain in more detail which creates interest. I notice that when i ask questions, they tend to loose interest. When i tracked back, those questions were not meant to be asked at that time, even though the question was important.

Right question at right time shows that we know and understand what they are talking about. This is very essential skill.

Will keep posting as i progress, though my speed is like snail infront of @Crazy GG leopard.
    I read your posts. Yup. as soon as you post.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Silver Silk and Andy Black like this.
  5. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $356
    G'Day All,

Small Update:
    I am currently working on Fish business client. Expecting to start the FB ads next week. I didn't knew that to advertise on FB for app installation we need to add FB API stuffs.

Explained this to client and right now his developer is integrating that. Lets see when it is ready.

Power of over-deliver is really awesome. The Fish client now also wants me develop a website for the business which will be Informational type site.

Apart from that, my previous client for whom i created flyers, he has requested more graphic design work and i will be providing that this week.

To communicate and understand the market of Digital Solutions, I am going to meet local business owners and observe the problems they have currently with there online activities.

Started creating the list of businesses and will schedule the meetings(i know some of them personally and don't have issue to ask for a meeting).

For that, i have taken 2 weeks of holiday from my Job which starts on 19th Nov. I am excited to work full time on this.

Will try to complete the tasks at hand before that and dive into the Abyss of unknown marketmind to research, learn and solve.

I will try to give updates daily from 19th on what i did.

Until next time.

Silver Silk and Andy Black like this.
  6. Akeem

Akeem Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $283
    I've skim-read all your posts and had a quick listen to your phone call. All I can say is confidence, confidence, confidence.

There's much more to learn than just confidence but when it comes to cold calling, confidence is key. I remember my first cold call, it sucked but I got somewhere all because I had confidence and kept throwing it back at the client. He eventually ran out of questions and realised he'd been convinced and agreed to a deal.

A few pointers:

• Confidence is essential. Nobody gives a sh*t about you or your product/service if you don't have confidence, sulk it up and talk loud, clear and confident.
    • Know every aspect of your product/service and adjust your 'script' accordingly when calling different clients. If you're calling a restaurant about a new website, include benefits which will actually impact the client's business. Selling websites, graphics and everything else is easy, actually designing them to attract users is hard. Focus on your product/service and know it inside and out.
    • Know the answer before they even ask. All this means is be prepared. Write a ton of questions down and assume they'll ask every single one. My personal advice to you is to implement basic answers into your initial introduction.

There's so much more than these pointers but it's a good starting point.

Good luck :)

Silver Silk and BlackMagician like this.
  7. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $356
    Thanks @Akeem for valuable feedback. Noted. I will implement these tips in my next call. Right now i am going Network route.

8. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $356
    G'Day All,

Until the fish app is ready for FB ads, i am trying to create some Ad copy. Can you critics on it:

Love to eat fish? Fresh? Order your favourite fish at cheap price from Fash! by Sholey Fish & RR.
    With Noka, you can order fish and ingredients with correct shape/size at the cheap price!
    Download now and get your mouth watering fish at your door:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=*

Above copy is for WhatsApp which will be sent to customer database.
    I am thinking to use it for FB also but FB has limitation on words and need Headline which i am thinking and trying write now.

9. Jeff Noel

Jeff Noel Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,073
    This is awesome ! That's literally a Wordpress installation on a popular hosting provider. Get a decent theme for $49, customize it, ask for their logo and offer to have one created if they don't have a decent one (a $50 Fiverr gig can fix that, don't go cheap!). that's 7.3K rupees expenses, and you charge for the website and logo... you can probably charge 21K rupees for the deal. You come out with a 14K rupees renevue. At least, that's what I'd do. Those numbers shouldn't scare the customer too much as they are really decent !

This is just my opinion on the matter by the way, in the end you are the master of your business. Good job ! Keep going !

BlackMagician likes this.
  10. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $356

Thank you Noel! You have perfectly captured the steps i am gonna take. I am planning to go Custom development but i need to find out more about the client business. This Fish niche is quite new to me and i don't know much about it.

After understanding client needs and the correct way to solve it, then i will decide what to use.