The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Launch Successful Podcasts - AMA

Marketing, social media, advertising

krueger75

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 31, 2012
Hey Everybody,

Since I've been getting so much from the forum myself (and haven't been posting much) I wanted to give back and share some of my expertise.

I run Authority Engine, a podcast services agency where we launch powerhouse podcasts and provide podcast editing services. Our specialty is designing, building and optimizing shows that get BIG results for the host.

Most of our clients are businesses or bloggers looking to really take their branding to the big stage and grow their audience significantly. We help them do just that.

I've built, launched, promoted and optimized podcasts in various industries, all with a specific focus on getting results and growing a massive audience for the host. Mostly we focus on building client's email lists, positioning them as a head authority figure in their market and creating an audience of raving fans, customers and brand ambassadors.

Over time, I've developed some powerful strategies for launching podcasts, getting quick exposure, developing powerful calls-to-action, and turning listeners into paying customers.

Some of the podcasts I've worked with:

[+] eCommerce Fuel - Hosted by Andrew Youderian
[+] Tropical MBA (Used to be Lifestyle Business Podcast) - Hosted by Dan Andrews & Ian Shoen
[+] Smart Drug Smarts - Hosted by Jesse Lawler
[+] Email Marketing Podcast - Hosted by John McIntyre

So now that you know who I am, I'm an open book for answering any questions you've got on podcasting strategy, growing your podcast audience, launching, strategic content, optimal show structures, planning & positioning, etc.

** please keep your questions based around *podcast strategy* because there are zillions of other places that discuss technical setup **

Also, as a quick bonus, I've attached a pdf guide called Planning The Perfect Podcast (View attachment Plan-the-Perfect-Podcast1.pdf) which walks you through step-by-step how to lay the foundation for a highly successful podcast. If you want to launch a podcast soon, it's the exact system we use with our clients to map out their strategy.

Okay, ask away!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Thanks for the AMA post. Have you noticed podcasts to be more effective for some areas as opposed to others? For instance, online businesses vs. a brick & mortar?

krueger75

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 31, 2012
Hey Chitown,

This is a great question. A lot of people assume that podcasting is only effective for online marketers and the 'make money' or 'start your own business' niches. While they certainly are effective here, they can be hugely effective for more brick n' mortar or hard goods type businesses. Specifically if that business has an online presence or has an ecommerce aspect of their sales.

An example:

Jenny's Cupcake shop wouldn't make it very far if she started a podcast about cupcakes.
#1- snore... and
#2 - her target audience isn't interested in cupcakes, only buying them.

However, say her most profitable customers were event planners because they ordered her cupcakes in bulk.

Jenny could start a podcast for event planners, centered on helping them throw unforgettable, highly successful events.

Let's say Jenny starts a podcast that feeds event planners with ideas on throwing the best seasonal parties, how to build a client list and get your clients referring you to all their family and friends, and how to approach the wedding planning or graduation party planning market.

Not only that but she brings on various event planners in different industries to reveal their top tricks and most successful strategies of event planning. Some of the guests are even the most popular planners in their industry!

So what Jenny has just done, is built a valuable resource for a passionate community of her most profitable clients. She also doesn't need to know everything about event planning because her guests are the ones supplying the expertise, tricks and strategies. And she's now on a first name basis with all the influential and successful event planners she's interviewed.

When the event planners are throwing their next party, and they need cupcakes, who do you think is top of mind?

---

This is just an example, but the most effective method for brick n' mortal style businesses is to build a community around an activity, industry or interest that your most profitable/target customers engage in.

The only downfall is if you're brick n' mortar has 1 location with no web presence, growing a large podcast won't do you much good since they can't walk in your front door. If this is the case, how could your business start adding an online element to it?

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Great to have you here!
I've looked at your site as a possible solution to my podcast.
I know that Dan and the DC guys LOVE your hustle, and I'm feelin' the same.

I have two podcasts right now I participate in. One is the Castleforge Media Podcast (video marketing for your ears) and one is the Niche Site Journal Podcast (public mastermind group on building niche sites.) Castleforge's podcast is on hiatus (I was taking on too many things at once). Niche Site Journal is me and two other guys talking about our weekly progress.

1) So I have a limited amount of time in a week/month and tons of other projects to juggle. What's more important: To irregularly release podcast episodes of a PROFESSIONAL quality, or to regularly release podcasts of a lesser quality?
2) There are times when I can only link to ONE source of my podcast. Let's say I'm tweeting the latest episode to everybody. Is it better to link directly to the itunes page? stitcher? blog post? libsyn? direct download?
3) What's the fastest way (besides killer content) to grow a newer podcast?
4) Is it better to have a super structured podcast (e on fire uses the same questions and layout, LBP had the intro/meat&potatoes/just the tips) or a more freeflowing conversation (foolish adventure known for tangents, nerdist doesn't even really have a hard intro OR segments).
5) Is it better to release timely information on a podcast (Google's new updates, timely investment tips, kickstarter updates) or to release timeless content (blackhat vs whitehat, what does 'value' really mean?).

Don't feel pressured to answer these all in one go. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

krueger75

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 31, 2012
Hey Dennis, you've got some baller questions here man! And if you're game to chat more on your existing podcasts, I think we can really help you streamline those babies.

I'll hit up your questions one at a time:

1. The answer here is based on your audience's expectation. Do they expect regular stuff from you or only occasional content that rocks their socks every time? Ex. Viperchill has only published 4 podcast episodes in about a year... however, each one is an absolute value bomb. On the other hand, he doesn't grow from doing the show, he mostly just feeds his existing audience.

For regular content producers, you are far more able to build a community as people look forward to your publishing schedule, and know that they'll gleam some goodies from each episode. It plain and simple comes down to your goals with the podcast & what you've built your audience to expect.
Growth, expansion & engagement with a new audience - Regular scheduled content
Powerful value based relationship with your existing audience - value bombs whenever they're ready

2. I would absolutely recommend only linking to your show notes page for EVERY episode. If you have multiple CTAs, people will get confused and not do any of them. Plus, 2 main reasons for sending them to the show notes (from social media, etc) are 1). You can link out to all the other sources in your show notes - stitcher, itunes, direct download, and 2). Your website is your hub. As much as possible you want traffic to go to your site since that's where you capture email addresses and have your branding, offer products, services, and all the extra goodies your audience can get. If you link them to stitcher, they'll miss all that.

3. Fastest way is to reach out to other podcasts with similar target listener group as your show, and offer to do an interview on their podcast. Obviously, you need to do so in a selfless way, offer some specific knowledge or story that would be particularly valuable to their audience and use a very personal approach. But this is easily the most effective, quickest way. Think about the podcasts you listen to. You either got a recommendation from a friend to check it out, or you hear about the host on another show, guest post, etc in one of the other shows you regularly tune in to. (9 times out of 10)

4. This depends on the show's purpose & positioning. From the sounds of it, a less structured format would work well for your Niche Site Journal show as is sounds like more of a fireside chat than a actionable, step-by-step interview. I also think that shows with too much structure get boring for most listeners so some variety, or varying content in different sections of the podcast is key.

You can also use this structure to differentiate your show. Ex. One of our clients, the Smart Drug Smarts podcast has a "Ruthless listener retention gimmick" at the end of each episode which features something interesting, wacky or attention grabbing in the industry. Works great because this stands out, and people look forward to it. Same with another client, eCommerceFuel has a weekly 'prize' awarded to one person who signs up to the email list. Each week the prize is different, a rubber chicken, black toilet paper, a unicorn horn, and really random stuff but people love it and look forward to it each week. How can you use different sections of your show to stand out from competing shows?

5. I tend to recommend a focus on timeless content, with smaller segments discussing 'news & developments'. This is because your podcast will be around for years, and unless part of your positioning is up to the minute issues, you're episodes will become irrelevant over time.

Not an ideal situation. Plus, you can always use old episodes as optin-bait, bonuses and mini-series but ONLY if their content is still valuable.

---

So most my answers depend on the situation, but it all comes down to your end goal. What do you want to achieve, and how will this particular component effect that outcome?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on my answers and make sure they hit home for you. Also, give me a shout if you want to talk a little shop on your podcasts!

TopChef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
May 22, 2013
Near San Diego
Krueger75. Great info. Thanks for doing this AMA.

In the above example about Jenny's Cupcake shop you mention doing a podcast relating to your most profitable customer. In this case event planners. Is it better to market your Ecommerce store in a more indirect way by getting to know the event planners, or do you see any value in a more direct approach that included 2 or 3 plugs for Jenny's Cupcake shops sprinkled through the podcast?

To what extent can podcasts be outsourced? Suppose I have an Ecommerce store that sold tennis rackets and I wanted to produce some podcasts to promote my site. Could you take us through the process?

Are there hosts that you can hire to produce a series? How many podcasts should we aim for in an initial run? What would this cost?

Thank You!

MKAmsterdam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 8, 2013
Great AMA!

If I would fill in your guide, and show me a draft of a first episode, would you critique it?

Thanks again!

atmosphere13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jul 23, 2012
San Diego, CA
Thanks for taking the time to do this Krueger75.

I'm starting a podcast in November focused on Men's lifestyle. I have 3 questions.

1. What are the top reasons why Podcasts fail to grow an audience?

2. And what are the top reasons why Podcasts succeed in growing an audience?

3. What is the best way to approach potential guests for the podcast show? And is there a specific format you use when contacting them?

Best

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
Great stuff so far!!! I have maybe a pretty dumb question, but what is the biggest advantage to growing a podcast over a YouTube channel? Or maybe a better question is, what advantages does a podcast offer over a YouTube channel? I feel like I may be missing something obvious here...

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
1. What are the most common failure points for a new podcaster? (i.e. where does everyone go wrong?)

2. In your experience, what has been the most successful structure of a podcast? (Episode structure, timing) - do you have an example you can share with us of a "perfect episode" from someone's podcast? (One that highlights all of the To-Dos and not to-dos)

3. Who the most successful podcaster right now that we've all probably never heard of?

Thanks!

ThunderbirdMike

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
350%
Jul 24, 2011
Bend, Oregon - USA
My guess would be that it's because podcasts are already designed to be downloaded/streamed in mp3 format, so the user can listen with OR without wi-fi/4G connection.

Sure, there are tools to convert YouTube videos into audio/mp3 downloadable format, but a podcast is already designed for that. One less step and less confusion for the audience.

That was my initial thought, anyway.

Mike

krueger75

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 31, 2012
Great questions!

I absolutely see value in a more direct approach, however podcasting is very strong a building a community and trust. If the show is constantly being interrupted with ads for cupcakes, #1 it detracts from the show, #2 it depletes instead of builds trust and #3 it isn't a 'community focus'.

As far as outsourcing, everything but actually recording the content could be outsourced (which is where my services specialize). The host of the show needs to actually record the content because the host themselves will be building the relationship with the audience.

Beyond that, strategically planning, building, launching and optimizing a show can be outsourced (For us it's our Launch A Podcast in 4 Weeks program). Once the show is up and operational, all the editing, show notes writing and producing can also be outsourced (Our services for this are here Podcast Editing Services)
You can learn more about both those services and how they work at the links above.

I haven't seen anyone that currently offers "Podcast hosting" or being the on-air talent for podcasts simply because whoever it is will be the one building the relationship with the audience. That being said, hiring a college student or freelancer voice talent is an option as long as they understand it's ongoing work. For something like this I think you could expect to pay ~$30-$75 an episode depending on experience, etc. (good voice talent is really expensive)
Hope this helps TopChef!

krueger75

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 31, 2012
Hey MK, I absolutely encourage you to fill out the guide and get started! I can critique it as well if you're interested in setting up a consulting call to make sure you're starting off on the right foot. Shoot me a message at ben [at] authorityengine.com.

krueger75

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 31, 2012
Glad you asked Sean. The major difference, is people aren't willing to watch a 45 minute video typically, let alone a 10-15 minute one. With a podcast, people can listen on their way to work, on the plane/bus, on a run, walking the dog, riding their bike, etc etc. You get the point.

It offers a chance for people to hear your voice, know your personality and connect with you far more personally than with text only, but negates the necessity of having to sit and watch an entire video while doing nothing else. Make sense?

krueger75

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 31, 2012
[1]
The biggest pitfall typically is people starting a podcast without a clear understanding of:
1. Who their listener is and exactly what they want/value
2. What your central message is to the listener (ie USP/mission statement)
3. The value your show provides, that other information sources don't

Almost always the failure of a show stems from one or more of these three, and not from anything technical.

[2] The structure of a 'perfect podcast' will vary based on it's intended purpose. Example: a short, action steps based episode is perfect if your intention is to give the audience actionable methods for improving something. A longer, lose form discussion style is better for more community building, personality and opinion based shows. Here's a podcast episode I did with Dan Andrews (Host of the Tropical MBA Podcast with over 5 million downloads) on the mistakes most podcasters make:
http://authorityengine.com/common-podcasting-mistakes-avoid-dan-andrews/

[3] One of the most successful podcasters who makes money from their podcast directly is John Dumas, host of the Entrepreneur on Fire podcast. Since he does daily episodes and his following is massive, he is able to make pretty good coin from sponsors and advertisers on his show (along with all the additional income sources he's built off the backend).

For someone that uses podcasting to successfully build a community and promote their backend products & services, I think Michael Hyatt's show "This is Your Life" is an incredible example.

Leonardo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 30, 2014
Thanks krueger75 I've been reading all your answers.

A little overview before I'll ask something:

I'm going to launch an Italian podcast (I'm from Italy) where I interview Italian entrepreneurs and executives.

I've already have 7 interviews.
I edited them on Audacity, leveled the audio on Levelator and normalized and compressed the file on auphonic. (the quality is ok, I record on Skype but I can't pretend better if the interviewed doesn't have a good microphone I guess)

Here are my questions:

1)Which server do you recommend to host the podcast?
I've been checking Libsyn and Amazon S3 and I can't figure out how much will it cost on Amazon S3. (At the beginning I would like to spend as little as I can and I don't know if I can justify 180$/year(15$x12months) on Libsyn also because I won't have many downloads).

2)How many podcasts should I release the day I launch?
I've read that I should release more than one.

3)How many downloads should I have before starting to look for sponsors?

Any other suggests or feedback that you can have are welcome.

Thanks again for the opportunity, if you'll come in Italy I'll repay ;)

atmosphere13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jul 23, 2012
San Diego, CA
I run the Knowledge For Men Podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/knowledge-for-men-andrew-ferebee/id755164884

Questions:

1. What is the best way to convert listeners into subscribers to my email list. I find that podcast listeners are usually on the go, in the gym or driving. I offer a lead magnet (free eguides) and talk about it in the podcast to drive traffic to a landing page yet I am not seeing significant results based on the number of downloads i'm getting 3-5k per day.

2. Do you recommend podcasts to monetize via sponsorships route or promote own products or even affiliate products. What are your thoughts on sponsors. I just started negotiating with a few companies and find they're trying to low ball me.

3. What are the best or unique strategies for promoting your podcast?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This user has not logged in in 3 months ... not sure you guys will get your answers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.