• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.

I cocked-up despite reading TMF 3 times! Any advice?

Discussion in 'Ideas, Needs, Concept Feedback' started by stormjb1, Nov 29, 2017.

1. LateStarter

LateStarter Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $5,093
    Yeah, I'm on board with a lot of what other people are saying here. The product seems... uninspired... One product, two colours, and the designs are flat. No sparkle, no interest using multi-colours, etc. They look like basic screen prints. Where's the metallic embroidery, silk/satin patches, etc? If you're trying create a saree look, the value proposition just isn't right. For your current inventory, see if you can blow them out at cost and start fresh with a more interesting design.

BUT... you Instagram talks about Henna... which is flat, not colourful and intricately designed. To me, this is in contrast to the saree look. Which look are you going for with these?

Also, yeah...the site needs work. You have one product. Why are you trying to make the site bigger than it needs to be? Why show 2 products in your store rather than just 1 with variations for colour and size? Get rid of all categories. You don't need it with one product. You're just creating more clicks before people reach an Add to Cart button. And in the process giving people more chances to bail off your site. Check out this Shopify theme demo. See how they have the product page right on the main page? With an Add to Cart and variants right there? Yup... THAT'S what you need for your site. One product section on the main page, clear Add to Cart, and variants for size and colour. Done!

Also, get rid of the About Us page and condense it onto section(s) of your main page. Build the brand story into your main landing page and product description. Add more content to your landing page. A scrawny landing page with only an image and a newsletter sign up just screams amateur and limited value. Rework the copy to sell the value proposition and explain what makes your product worth $XX.XX compared to a generic cheaper hoodie. Use words and images for a lifestyle, and how your product personifies that lifestyle... don't just use a bullet list about hoodie features.

Play with colour on the pages too. Why is your promo banner grey? Grey doesn't draw any attention. Sarees are bright and colourful and your site should be too... just not to the point of competing with your product shots for attention. Again, unless you're going for a Henna look, which is different.

Some of your instagram pics look like stock photos... I swear I've seen them before... true? If so, ditch them. Instead, repost images (with proper references and account tags) from other accounts that represent the brand/lifestyle you're trying to create.

Good luck!

stormjb1 likes this.
  2. kelvinfernandezm

kelvinfernandezm Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $305
    That hoodie actually caught my eye and made my heart beat. I'm not into clothing but the thoughts in my head made it more attractive.

What percentage of the people in your country are mixed race of white and Asian? I would guess not many. That alone gives you a very slim niche to work with. Not many customers there.

But you know what attracted me to that hoodie? It was the hours upon hours that I have spent reading eastern philosophies. I saw the pattern and I instantly thought yin-yang.

So maybe try changing your angle. Go for the spiritual/new age/yoga/eastern religion groups. After all you are inspired by Henna. Women are already spending over $100 on Lululemon yoga pants. They might like this too.

Your sells pitch could be something like "live it, breath it, wear it" "attract good vibes put on good vibes", "eastern spirituality meets western fashion."

The new age community is huge. Go and facebook and try to sell it through the yoga groups.

And try working on your website make it look cleaner and spacious. Get rid of the column on the right and have the hooodies on the front page.

Also hire a proffesional photographer and a photoshopper to make the pictures stand out more. They look too dark. Than get your models in yoga poses, salutations and meditating that might look better.

Good luck wish you the best.

stormjb1 likes this.
  3. stormjb1

stormjb1 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $135
    Thanks LS, which promo banner are you referring to that is grey?

Edit: great recommendation on the theme, but way out of my budget atm at $350. Do you know any similar cheaper/free versions? I'm good at coding html/css sites in this same 1-page style but wouldnt warrant the time and effort which could be better used elsewhere.

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  4. stormjb1

Rep Bank:
    $135
    Awesome post! Thank you.

From all the feedback from this thread thus far, I either go super-niche, even more targeted e.g asian only, or widen the pot by what you suggested the 'new-age vegan' type. Im inclined on the latter as the pot is significantly bigger. But yeah I defo need rethink the entire messaging on the site.

I've picked up 'Cashvertising', 'Storybranding' and 'Write to sell' which I'll be consuming in the next 2 weeks to write the new copy in the new year. As well as learning Facebook ads.

I'm lacking all these skills and the time atm. But would you believe in my dayjob I manage marketing campaigns including copywriting for a billion-pound household media company LOL. It isn't that my skills suck per-se its just a demonstration of how easily and covertly personal development is ignored in the stifling corporate world. Just another reason to add to the long list of reasons for being an entrepreneur.

kelvinfernandezm likes this.
  5. Carol Jones

Carol Jones Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,666
    Good morning @Greg Rutkowski and @stormjb1 from Oz,

Excellent advice, Greg.

I've read your thread @stormjb1. You've already learned an important lesson. Not to stock up without pre-orders.

We started out by only making for people who ordered our Fitz Like A Glove™ Ironing Board Cover. First 40 covers. Then 100. Then 500. It was only when we reached 500 covers did we assume this was a business. Until then, we never made any covers in advance.

Once we realised this could be a business. We asked 6 neighbours to road test our product. For 6 weeks. Their feedback was crucial to our success in launching our product.

You've got to talk to the people who you think are your customers. Show them your product. And get a reaction. As Greg says, only by talking to people will you find out who wants your product. And why.

I've been in business for 23 years. I'm now trying to crack two big markets that I THINK are big for me. And until recently were closed to me. I couldn't find a way to open the door.

To my delight. I've finally found the key.

But I'm not making any assumptions that these markets are a given.

For the last month, I've been ringing people who are part of this market. Just collecting information. Not selling. Just getting to know what their current experience is with ironing. And ironing board covers. So I know exactly how to talk to them. When I make them an offer.

I don't sell ironing board covers, @stormjb1. I sell how different your ironing experience will be once you iron on my cover. I never talk first about the technical reasons why my cover is different to all others on the market. I emphasise the different experience you'll have.

Once they're interested in a better ironing experience. I can then tell them why it's different.

People don't buy a product. They buy what the product will do for them. They buy how they will look in your hoodie. And perhaps you're not selling them that concept.

Your idea to get a market stall is - to me - brilliant. But don't use it as an opportunity to unload stock.

Use it as an opportunity to get in front of people who you can talk to.

My partner, Victor Pleshev, the architect who designed the Fitz Like A Glove™ Ironing Board Cover for his mother. Travelled 60,000 kilometres a year. For 14 years. To any place we could set up a microphone. And spruik. Home shows. Agricultural shows. Field days. Markets in affluent areas.

We were getting in front of people who were telling us their ironing woes. And also telling us why they didn't iron. And why they would never iron. And why they would never pay a premium price for an ironing board cover. And why they would pay a premium price.

This is how I learned that not everyone who irons is my customer. And that only a small percentage of people who iron want a quality product. But the ones who will pay are hungry for quality. And once they become my customer. I will probably have them for life.

Go out and talk to people. Get a market stall. Just make sure your stall is in the right demographic area. You have a specific design that appeals to a specific ethnicity.

And.

Be different to other market stall holders.

Don't start selling your hoodie as soon as people walk up to you.

Write out a list of questions you want to ask people when they come up to your stall.

Including.

Why are they interested in a hoodie to begin with? What will it do for them?

What do they like about yours? Don't like?

And start asking. They will tell you everything you want to know.

This is how you learn about who your customer is. What they want. And about what you need to tell them about how they will feel once they wear your product.

Even if they don't buy yours. You will know why a hoodie is important to them.

So many people in business have no idea what the emotional reason is for buying their product.

Once you know that, you can go back to the drawing board and create a story that will help you sell your product.

I hope this helps @stormjb1. ~Carol❤

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  6. LateStarter

LateStarter Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $5,093
    Your Free Delivery banner. I see on the main page that it's semi-transparent black. Which is why it looks grey on the Shop pages.

Have you checked out your site on mobile? It needs work. The logo disappears into the image colours. Same for the Jay Gianni text in the Hero Image.

Also, check your Google results. "Up to 50% off Luxury Fashion"? Sounds like you're selling other brands. And you have Hoodie, Tops, Jackets, Dresses, Jumpers & Cardigans listed as sub-links... but you have no products. WTF?

Don't let your ambition for your brand cloud your execution for your product!

7. stormjb1

Rep Bank:
    $135
    Yes, I've taken off all the products which aren't the hoodies I have stacked on my bedroom floor and updated the meta desc a few days ago based on feedback from this thread. Looks like Google just hasnt re-indexed my site yet.

Also yeah Im aware of the sh*t responsive display with banner image etc. TBH everything is on pause atm as I'm having surgery in 2 days. Also my macbook has just freaking died! fml.

LateStarter likes this.
  8. scott.legendre

scott.legendre Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $483
    Thank you for the post Carol, very valuable!!!

9. Carol Jones

Carol Jones Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,666
    Thank you Scott @scott.legendre. It's a pleasure to be of help. ~Carol❤

10. 404profound

404profound Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,879
    My two cents; from a user experience POV I did not like that there are no products on the landing page. The model is in the background, but I have to go to menu to get to the live products. This is an unnecessary step in the process. I'd recommend having a featured product, at least, on the landing page.

11. kelvinfernandezm

kelvinfernandezm Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $305
    Yeah definetely go for the "new age vegan" type, there's so many niches and cultures that overlap each other you're bound to hit a target.

Don't try to do it all by yourself. The company you work for, outsources their marketing campaigns to you.

You should do the same with your company. Get on fivver, upwork or freelancer and outsource as much as you can. That way you won't overwhelm yourself and freeze up.

12. 100k

100k Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,784
    I think you need to have your website designed a bit like this site....

https://eastofafrica.com.au/

Where the main front page focuses on what makes you different, tells your story, tells us your passion and build a connection with the reader... then funnel them to your simple store.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017 at 11:34 AM