The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Idea threads

Marpipe

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 17, 2020
Hi Friends,

My CEO wrote an article recently on how to validate startup ideas without spending the money on manufacturing first.

In short, it's a process of using Facebook ads and “Fake Doors” (link removed).

We specialize in creative testing, so we combined our methodology with the Fake Doors concept.

We do this a lot and we think it saves a ton of money.

The same method works for inventing new products and testing brand differentiation too. Imagine if Crystal Pepsi and New Coke were tested with ads before launching. Would've saved them millions each.

Here's the article. (Link removed.)

Would love to answer any questions for those of you just starting to switch into the fast lane.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
First learned about this in Tim Ferris's 4 hour work week.

Sounds like people are trying to brand it as their unique methodology.

Thanks for the reminder.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
I like the term "fake doors" to describe landing pages for testing ideas in a market.

I think testing ideas this way can also be great practice for writing copy and even web design depending on how you choose to make the landing pages.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi Friends,

My CEO wrote an article recently on how to validate startup ideas without spending the money on manufacturing first.

In short, it's a process of using Facebook ads and “Fake Doors” (link removed).

We specialize in creative testing, so we combined our methodology with the Fake Doors concept.

We do this a lot and we think it saves a ton of money.

The same method works for inventing new products and testing brand differentiation too. Imagine if Crystal Pepsi and New Coke were tested with ads before launching. Would've saved them millions each.

Here's the article. (Link removed.)

Would love to answer any questions for those of you just starting to switch into the fast lane.
Hi @Marpipe

Forum rules are to not link out until you’ve contributed for a while.

Regardless of the rules, you’ll get more interaction and build better relationships if you post natively instead of linking to your CEO’s post.

Sooo...

1) How would you describe a fake door in one sentence?

2) What’s the single most important advice you’d give someone who’s thinking of creating a fake door?

floridaman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Dec 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
Never heard that term before but I like it. I was going to use something like that for a supplement product I want to make. You could use FB ads and something like Unbounce to create some quick landing pages. Tell us more sire...

Marpipe

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 17, 2020
Hi @Marpipe

Forum rules are to not link out until you’ve contributed for a while.

Regardless of the rules, you’ll get more interaction and build better relationships if you post natively instead of linking to your CEO’s post.

Sooo...

1) How would you describe a fake door in one sentence?

2) What’s the single most important advice you’d give someone who’s thinking of creating a fake door?

Hi Andy,

Okay, thanks for the heads-up.

Fake Door: Facebook page for a product that doesn't exist yet

Advice: Make a fake door for every product idea you have, run ads with different angles on each product, and use performance for those ads to determine which product will sell when you do make it

Marpipe

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 17, 2020
You can also follow Steve Blank's Customer Discovery process to validate an idea and gain insight into identifying unmet needs and finding solutions to people's problems.

https://www.cmu.edu/swartz-center-for-entrepreneurship/assets/Olympus pdfs/Customer Discovery - Is My Idea Is a Good One.pdf

Steve Blank Customer Discovery
Love Steve Blank.
First learned about this in Tim Ferris's 4 hour work week.

Sounds like people are trying to brand it as their unique methodology.

Thanks for the reminder.
Love Tim Ferriss. We didn't come up with the term Fake Doors. I linked to the article where I believe it was first referenced as a fake door, but I'm sure it's not the first thing Tim's invented that others have rebranded as their own.

I like the term "fake doors" to describe landing pages for testing ideas in a market.

View attachment 31173
I think testing ideas this way can also be great practice for writing copy and even web design depending on how you choose to make the landing pages.
Love the Rick n' Morty reference. Yeah we've used this technique for ad creative and branding too.
Never heard that term before but I like it. I was going to use something like that for a supplement product I want to make. You could use FB ads and something like Unbounce to create some quick landing pages. Tell us more sire...
Love your name. Supplements are one of the best use cases for this method because they're low cost, high volume products.

For more information, the testing technique is called multivariate testing. There's a pretty good wiki page on it called Multivariate Testing in Marketing.

In short, Multivariate testing (MVT) is making creative components (like products/ideas, colors, copy) and building every possible combination of them. Then you run them as live ads, take that data, and use it to make new products, companies, or just super high performing ads.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.