The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Marpipe

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Feb 17, 2020
Hi Friends,

My CEO wrote an article recently on how to validate startup ideas without spending the money on manufacturing first.

In short, it's a process of using Facebook ads and “Fake Doors” (link removed).

We specialize in creative testing, so we combined our methodology with the Fake Doors concept.

We do this a lot and we think it saves a ton of money.

The same method works for inventing new products and testing brand differentiation too. Imagine if Crystal Pepsi and New Coke were tested with ads before launching. Would've saved them millions each.

Here's the article. (Link removed.)

Would love to answer any questions for those of you just starting to switch into the fast lane.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 20, 2012
First learned about this in Tim Ferris's 4 hour work week.

Sounds like people are trying to brand it as their unique methodology.

Thanks for the reminder.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
I like the term "fake doors" to describe landing pages for testing ideas in a market.

I think testing ideas this way can also be great practice for writing copy and even web design depending on how you choose to make the landing pages.

Andy Black

Dad, Husband, Inbound Marketeer
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi Friends,

My CEO wrote an article recently on how to validate startup ideas without spending the money on manufacturing first.

In short, it's a process of using Facebook ads and “Fake Doors” (link removed).

We specialize in creative testing, so we combined our methodology with the Fake Doors concept.

We do this a lot and we think it saves a ton of money.

The same method works for inventing new products and testing brand differentiation too. Imagine if Crystal Pepsi and New Coke were tested with ads before launching. Would've saved them millions each.

Here's the article. (Link removed.)

Would love to answer any questions for those of you just starting to switch into the fast lane.
Hi @Marpipe

Forum rules are to not link out until you’ve contributed for a while.

Regardless of the rules, you’ll get more interaction and build better relationships if you post natively instead of linking to your CEO’s post.

Sooo...

1) How would you describe a fake door in one sentence?

2) What’s the single most important advice you’d give someone who’s thinking of creating a fake door?

floridaman

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
Never heard that term before but I like it. I was going to use something like that for a supplement product I want to make. You could use FB ads and something like Unbounce to create some quick landing pages. Tell us more sire...

Marpipe

New Contributor
Feb 17, 2020
Hi @Marpipe

Forum rules are to not link out until you’ve contributed for a while.

Regardless of the rules, you’ll get more interaction and build better relationships if you post natively instead of linking to your CEO’s post.

Sooo...

1) How would you describe a fake door in one sentence?

2) What’s the single most important advice you’d give someone who’s thinking of creating a fake door?

Hi Andy,

Okay, thanks for the heads-up.

Fake Door: Facebook page for a product that doesn't exist yet

Advice: Make a fake door for every product idea you have, run ads with different angles on each product, and use performance for those ads to determine which product will sell when you do make it

Marpipe

New Contributor
Feb 17, 2020
You can also follow Steve Blank's Customer Discovery process to validate an idea and gain insight into identifying unmet needs and finding solutions to people's problems.

https://www.cmu.edu/swartz-center-for-entrepreneurship/assets/Olympus pdfs/Customer Discovery - Is My Idea Is a Good One.pdf

Steve Blank Customer Discovery
Love Steve Blank.
First learned about this in Tim Ferris's 4 hour work week.

Sounds like people are trying to brand it as their unique methodology.

Thanks for the reminder.
Love Tim Ferriss. We didn't come up with the term Fake Doors. I linked to the article where I believe it was first referenced as a fake door, but I'm sure it's not the first thing Tim's invented that others have rebranded as their own.

I like the term "fake doors" to describe landing pages for testing ideas in a market.

View attachment 31173
I think testing ideas this way can also be great practice for writing copy and even web design depending on how you choose to make the landing pages.
Love the Rick n' Morty reference. Yeah we've used this technique for ad creative and branding too.
Never heard that term before but I like it. I was going to use something like that for a supplement product I want to make. You could use FB ads and something like Unbounce to create some quick landing pages. Tell us more sire...
Love your name. Supplements are one of the best use cases for this method because they're low cost, high volume products.

For more information, the testing technique is called multivariate testing. There's a pretty good wiki page on it called Multivariate Testing in Marketing.

In short, Multivariate testing (MVT) is making creative components (like products/ideas, colors, copy) and building every possible combination of them. Then you run them as live ads, take that data, and use it to make new products, companies, or just super high performing ads.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
My friend was just looking for this information. Thanks
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
If you read the last message then you know I'm removing my courses from Udemy next month. You...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
This program helped me to triple my revenue over 7 months while also moving to a new city in the...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
PS. what do you think about the idea of setting up live Busking experiences on Air BNB? I could...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom