• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

OFF-TOPIC Sometimes you should take the first offer... A story about trying to buy a Mclaren

Discussion in 'Off Topic: Sports, Funnies, Pop-Culture' started by biophase, Feb 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $182,194
    I thought people here would get a kick out of my story on trying to buy this Mclaren.

So back on August 30th, I walked in the dealer to test drive this car. They had just listed it at $134,999. They had just got it and their online listing didn't even have photos yet.

They gave me the you can't test drive it until you have a signed offer speech. Fine, I offered $125,000. They said they could only do $132,999. So I walked. I'd also venture to guess that the manager probably didn't think I was a serious buyer.

About a month later I saw the price lowered to $133,999. I called them and said my $125k offer still stands. They said no.

Sometime around October they lowered it to $129,999. I called and offered them $120k. They said that they could NOW accept my original offer of $125k.

I started saving these screenshots after I kept seeing the price go down below my offer.

Now, I have this car saved in my cars.com app so I get a notification every time they lower the price. In November, I get the notification that the car is now listed at $124,999. I call them and offer $115k. They of course say no.

In December I bought another Mclaren from elsewhere.

IMG_3128 (1).PNG

On January 1st, they lower it to $116,399.

IMG_3027.PNG
    And today they lowered it to $114,999. The price I offered them in late November.

IMG_312a7.jpg

I wonder what they will finally get for this car. I wonder if they would take $105k now?

Just think, they could have sold the car in less than a week at $125k in August. Or $115k in November. Now it's February and it's still sitting there taking up space and capital.

lowtek, rynor, The-J and 31 others like this.
  2. steelandchrome

steelandchrome Author of The Retail Leader Book. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,107
    Had a similar situation when looking for a new car for my wife (although about 1/3rd of this budget). I went back and forth with a bunch of sales reps online and everyone just wanted to set an appointment to come in and close me at their sales price vs having anything to do with my "offers" I was throwing them. Once the right guy took my offer serious I went in and got a pretty solid deal at about $8k below the lowest price anyone else would agree to as long as I came in that day and paid for it. Then the next few days were fun to reply to all the other sales reps when they reached out to see if I was "serious" about coming in to buy and telling them I already bought at a much lower price.

Congrats on the purchase again and keep updating the thread for where it finally sells ;)

Tommo, AgainstAllOdds and minivanman like this.
  3. minivanman

minivanman Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,177
    My wife was set on a certain Honda CRV so we went in and as far as I was concerned, got screwed. From a business stand point, I know that if they finance the car, the dealer can actually make the % rate higher than the loan company and that is why they do not like for you to buy the car out-right. But when I am buying a vehicle for myself, if they do not want to deal.... I have no problem walking. Needless to say, we paid full price (no financing) and she was happy and we drove that piece of crap to Miami a few days later.... my back KILLED me for a month.... but she was happy. Have you noticed I hate that thing? :)

Personally, I'm like you biophase, I can walk out and it won't bother me a bit. Hopefully you like your new car and maybe even better than the one they wouldn't sell you. Maybe it had a problem and you wasn't suppose to buy it. By the way, can we see a picture of the one you bought?

Tommo likes this.
  4. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $182,194
    The one I got is in my avatar.:)

GPM, Jeff Noel, Kak and 2 others like this.
  5. minivanman

minivanman Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,177
    Give me a break... I'm getting old. lmao I didn't even notice. :hilarious:

6. CommonCents

CommonCents Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,579
    i love the "no haggle" "one price" dealership craze now :)

7. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $387,025
    Admin Post
    Same thing happened with me and the Raptor. They came off asking just a 1 grand on my offer then I walked when they said it was the "tonight only" price, as if it were a deal.

A week later the Cars.com app showed they lowered the price and so I offered even less and ended up getting it. Watching your target car on the Cars.com app looks to pay off if one is patient.

Smuggo, Jeff Noel, SMH and 3 others like this.
  8. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $387,025
    Admin Post
    @Kak - don't you have a similar story, about a house I think?

Kak likes this.
  9. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $25,162
    Indeed. I stole my home. I eventually, after a back and forth like above, got my home for about $100k less than the original asking price and $75k less than my first offer.

In my case it had to be total incompetence or inexperience on the listing agent's part. I was in no hurry to give up my rental so the whole process wasted 7 month's of the seller's time and money too. Several times they lowered the list below a previous offer of mine and never bothered to reach back out.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    GlobalWealth, SMH and Sander like this.
  10. Jeff Noel

Jeff Noel Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,260
    This is a really interesting story... I've been looking at listed Kia Stinger (that's pretty much the best I can do with my budget) for a little while, I wonder what kind of deals I could get on these lower margin cars.

I'll have to start shopping around and poking sellers to lower their prices.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    lowtek likes this.
  11. biophase

Rep Bank:
    $182,194
    AEBF20A7-DF3B-46BB-ADC7-ED017CAC1397.jpeg Another price drop.

Smuggo and YoungPadawan like this.
  12. lowtek

lowtek Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,568
    The GT2 is pretty sweet. I've seen a few around PHX and I love the body styling.

Jeff Noel and YoungPadawan like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.