The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How rigid planning creates mediocre products(Myers Briggs)

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Let´s say you follow one of these "12-week"-programs where you have to have a prototype done in 3 months.
First you will be hurrying to get a product out regardless the quality. Thus you will never get in depth and give up before you actually found anything worthwhile. Because you are outcome-dependent you will ask yourself why you "failed".
At the same time, while working on the project, you will be thinking about the future payoff all the time without looking at day-to-day operations and if the process is actually something you want to do. The same thing happens when you are doing 1-year goals etc.

Here, I´m suggesting how different people have different modes of operation.

A lot of people don´t believe in Myers Briggs personality indicator, but it´s fact that we perceive the world and organize things in different ways.
Let´s take the specific examples INTP and INTJ and look at how they can operate in a successful way.

INTP:
-spontaneous and flexible
-no specific goal
-creating systems
-needs to be happy doing it
-detail-oriented
-analytical and logical

So when INTPs start to get hurried and greedy(for example to make money), they will cut corners just to "make money". The product will be mediocre. This is because they will everything that has to be done in a "time box" with limited time to do things properly.
Instead they need to find a way to be happy in the present, and let the project develop organically, taking as much time as they need to create quality.
How does this look in day-to-day operations?
They will give themselves as much time as they need to dive into the project. They will do something that feels naturally fun for them, without specific project requirement. When they feel like they have to do something that doesn´t fit their talent, they will adjust the project to fit their talents.
Being organic makes them the happiest and that´s actually how they operate best and do best quality work. They are slow at first, but that´s okay.
Instead of making a lot of things fast, they thrive when solving a complex problem.

Examples of successful INTPs:
Markus "Notch" Persson
Albert Einstein
Leonardo Da Vinci

INTJ(didn´t read up too much about INTJs, so take with a grain of salt):
-fast decision
-one right way and path

INTJs have a clear vision already and are doing everything for the sake of the project. They execute fast because they can see the right pattern right away. They might not be as detail-oriented and flexible like INTPs, but they have one right way to focus on which makes them execute fast.

Examples of successful INTJs:
Elon Musk
Christopher Nolan

The problem with a lot of "courses" nowadays is, that they´re catered to Js and not Ps. There is really not one right way to do things. If you are a P following a Js plan, you will definitely fail.

Summary:
As an INTP, don´t primarily think about what result you want to have, but what process you enjoy and fits you best.
Project still in progress after 3 years? Doesn´t F*cking matter. Stay organic.

References:
The INTP: Personality, Careers, Relationships, & the Quest for Truth and Meaning - Kindle edition by Drenth, Dr. A.J.. Health, Fitness & Dieting Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlVMPzt4os0&ab_channel=EvanCarmichael

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
and then sometimes... it's good to have someone hold your nose to the grindstone.

some wise person once said:"any plan, acted upon violently, is better than no plan"

I believe in getting a product out that is 80% the best that you can, in the shortest amount of time... and then improving from there. If you wait till you have it at 99% perfect, you won't even know most of the flaws that could exist, and the competition is already putting things out there that are at 80% and learning from them.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Let´s say you follow one of these "12-week"-programs where you have to have a prototype done in 3 months.
First you will be hurrying to get a product out regardless the quality. Thus you will never get in depth and give up before you actually found anything worthwhile. Because you are outcome-dependent you will ask yourself why you "failed".
At the same time, while working on the project, you will be thinking about the future payoff all the time without looking at day-to-day operations and if the process is actually something you want to do. The same thing happens when you are doing 1-year goals etc.

Here, I´m suggesting how different people have different modes of operation.

A lot of people don´t believe in Myers Briggs personality indicator, but it´s fact that we perceive the world and organize things in different ways.
Let´s take the specific examples INTP and INTJ and look at how they can operate in a successful way.

INTP:
-spontaneous and flexible
-no specific goal
-creating systems
-needs to be happy doing it
-detail-oriented
-analytical and logical

So when INTPs start to get hurried and greedy(for example to make money), they will cut corners just to "make money". The product will be mediocre. This is because they will everything that has to be done in a "time box" with limited time to do things properly.
Instead they need to find a way to be happy in the present, and let the project develop organically, taking as much time as they need to create quality.
How does this look in day-to-day operations?
They will give themselves as much time as they need to dive into the project. They will do something that feels naturally fun for them, without specific project requirement. When they feel like they have to do something that doesn´t fit their talent, they will adjust the project to fit their talents.
Being organic makes them the happiest and that´s actually how they operate best and do best quality work. They are slow at first, but that´s okay.
Instead of making a lot of things fast, they thrive when solving a complex problem.

Examples of successful INTPs:
Markus "Notch" Persson
Albert Einstein
Leonardo Da Vinci

INTJ(didn´t read up too much about INTJs, so take with a grain of salt):
-fast decision
-one right way and path

INTJs have a clear vision already and are doing everything for the sake of the project. They execute fast because they can see the right pattern right away. They might not be as detail-oriented and flexible like INTPs, but they have one right way to focus on which makes them execute fast.

Examples of successful INTJs:
Elon Musk
Christopher Nolan

The problem with a lot of "courses" nowadays is, that they´re catered to Js and not Ps. There is really not one right way to do things. If you are a P following a Js plan, you will definitely fail.

Summary:
As an INTP, don´t primarily think about what result you want to have, but what process you enjoy and fits you best.
Project still in progress after 3 years? Doesn´t f*cking matter. Stay organic.

References:
The INTP: Personality, Careers, Relationships, & the Quest for Truth and Meaning - Kindle edition by Drenth, Dr. A.J.. Health, Fitness & Dieting Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlVMPzt4os0&ab_channel=EvanCarmichael
The best way to develop personal self awareness is to understand what kind of game player you are.

If you look at chess or sports two skillful experts can have totally different styles of playing.

I am guess that MJ seems to be an operational genius and “optimizer”. That is why Productocracy is at core.

If you look at Mark Cuban his style is a “speculator”, identify the next big trend before hand, grow revenue and create a hype, sell the company at the peak of the cycle and pass the risk the others.

These are macro-playing styles but it can be applied at micro levels. Basically I learn that you must do things in a way that resonates with your own “dna”(and that will create your personal shot for success), not blindly Replicating others. Be inspired by others but not blindly trying to replicate step by step.

ReeZ

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Oct 9, 2016
ENTJ here, so I am biased.

Sure, there are differences based on the spectrum of your personality type/temperament.

INTPs certainly do enjoy having no deadlines etc. that does not mean it is the most effective and efficient manner. To me, that is more about human nature, rather than the personality trait. Setting up a deadline increases the chance of the task, objective, goal to get done (on time) with an exponential increase - Regardless of what your type is. Often, these deadlines are what's required to get things done.

Think back to school and I imagine that you often sat up late in the evenings doing your homework. Without that deadline, you would not have done the homework. Now, of course, I don't know whether that is the case, I'm guessing. I'm saying that because that was also the case for me, even though "I am a J". Without the actual end-date of when a specific assignment/homework should have been done, I would not have done a single one. ZERO tasks would be done.

So deadlines certainly have their place. - In the case of creating a product, or doing research I imagine that having no restraints would be fun. But I also do not think one can be productive long term without these deadlines/restraints. That does not mean everything needs or should have a deadline - it shouldn't. Especially for a P ;)

There was a book, which name I cannot recall. The book was written by a musician, a creative artist. He went into how he comes up with songs, creative insights, etc. and how creativity "actually functions". It often was related to deadlines or a limitation set out by himself.

"By 5 o'clock I will have a song about Love, it will have these accords" - Or something like that.

Bill Gates is reported often as an INTP, he has a quote (which I also cannot recall) which went something like "Final version does not occur until 3.0"
An INTP will not be completely satisfied until you get to 3.0 - but you still need to release 1.0 and 2.0, because otherwise, you will never get to 3.0. That may be me butchering the intention of Gates's quote to make my point.

There has to be some interplay between the types, temperaments so that they can do whatever they can, to the best of their abilities.
XNTP's are often more creative. XNTJs are often better at structuring, and finishing/accomplishing/executing whatever the XNTP created.

Let the XNTPs create and continue with that, and they will often be happy. XNTJs will take what XNTPs created, and execute on it - And it will benefit them both because both of them have the strengths that perfectly complement each other.

Now I do completely agree with that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.