The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Myers Briggs Inspired Employment Website: Feedback Please!

arobinson04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 7, 2013
I'm new the forum, so bear with me if I don't follow protocol. But here's my idea!

I was reading around on this forum and some others, reading other peoples ideas and journeys and I was inspired. A problem that I have, and that many of my college aged peers have, is finding the right career. Most of them just kind of haphazardly choose what career they want, not really taking into account their best strengths, skills, and passions.

So what if I created an employment website, like monster.com/careerbuilder.com that implemented peoples skills,passions,personality types into their job search.

• The job searcher creates a profile with my website, and part of the registration process includes completing a personality test like the myers briggs test/DiSC test/Strength Finders/maybe my own personality test.
  • After the personality test is completed, they are shown ACTUAL POSITIONS CURRENTLY OPEN that fit their personalities.

The idea is that, it becomes a win-win for the companies, and for the job searchers. The companies get highly targeted, highly qualified employees, and the job searchers get careers that they love and build on their strengths and passions.

In order to drive traffic to site, I'm thinking of paying for PPC ads through Google.

I just did a quick check and monster chargers over $300 to post one job for 30 days. My pricing would probably be lower than that to start, but would increase over time. BUT, to begin, I would offer companies with postings on other sites, the chance to put there posting on my site for free for 60 days or something.

It's a small tweak to an existing service, but I feel that it's so profound. What do you guys think!? Is this a viable business idea? Am I crazy to think it would work? Is incorporating the personality test with the employment website not a unique enough idea to separate myself from the existing sites?

I would definitely appreciate your thoughts and feedback. Again, I'm a new member to the forum, but I've read over so many different threads, I really respect everyone's opinions.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Who determines what the jobs personality type requires? How do they know? What makes them sure?

Anything that improves on the hiring process has a good chance of succeeding. Job boards have always been the classic chicken and egg, you can't get employers to post without traffic and you can't get traffic without posted jobs.

arobinson04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 7, 2013
Thanks for the response!

Who determines what the jobs personality type requires? How do they know? What makes them sure?

Ideally, when the company posts their open position, they would have to fill out some sort of questionnaire that would match that job position with specific personality types. The company will see that personality and will confirm that the qualities of that personality type are in agreement with what they had in mind for the position.

I didn't really consider the whole chicken or egg thing, but my idea was to pursue the companies first. But I guess I would have to pursue both the companies, and the job seekers simultaneously.

Thanks for these great questions. They've got me thinking!

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, as I said, anything that helps hiring go better has a good chance to succeed. From a worldly experience view, I don't want a team of programmers, that all have the same personality types, you need leaders, and followers and people that will ask questions and others that will just shut up and code. I personally will grade out as an introvert, so I wouldn't be shown the sales type positions, but I have made a lot of money in sales, which most people view as an extrovert skill, or public speaking which I really enjoy and do well at.

You NEED to consider the chicken and egg thing, because it is really expensive to pay to get both sides to the table. Build it and they will come mentality, takes YEARS or a tremendous amount of luck to show a profit.

arobinson04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 7, 2013
You NEED to consider the chicken and egg thing, because it is really expensive to pay to get both sides to the table. Build it and they will come mentality, takes YEARS or a tremendous amount of luck to show a profit.

If I gave each company free listings for 90 days, they would have nothing to lose right? So during that 90 days I would be able to drive traffic to the site through ppc (or other means).

So I hit the companies first. Then use them draw in the job seekers. Seems like a legitimate solution?

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
I am job hunting for essentially the same work--dull, repetitive...somehow in my mind I think it will create excitement or be better than current. What I should be doing is working on Fastlane like it has been mentioned on this forum, instead of wasting man hours hunting for the same shithole. That being said, I run out of ideas/positions to search for that might interest me. Maybe you could have something that narrows down the broad fields of business or finance or health somehow...like allow to get really specific. This is one thing that frustrates me on indeed is that you are at the liberty of thinking of positions to search for

arobinson04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 7, 2013
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, as I said, anything that helps hiring go better has a good chance to succeed. From a worldly experience view, I don't want a team of programmers, that all have the same personality types, you need leaders, and followers and people that will ask questions and others that will just shut up and code. I personally will grade out as an introvert, so I wouldn't be shown the sales type positions, but I have made a lot of money in sales, which most people view as an extrovert skill, or public speaking which I really enjoy and do well at.

And for this one, I totally agree with you. But that would be up to the companies to decide individually. It's not like there's only one personality type that would work as a programmer. Also, personalities aren't black and white, they're a blending and mixture.

So although you may score as an introvert, there's still a high possibility that you have OTHER skills/traits that would work extremely well in a sales position.

arobinson04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 7, 2013
I run out of ideas/positions to search for that might interest me

That's the beauty of the website! You don't have to search for position after position (though you'll have that option if you want to), but after we assess your personality traits and skills, we'll show you which positions are currently open that match your skills/traits.

The idea of the website is to help people break free from mundane j-o-b's and find their vocations, their callings. Careers that they'll be glad to wake up to. Careers that match up perfectly with their skills and abilities/passions/personality traits. And then the companies get happy, engaged, enthusiastic employees.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.