The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Growing a YouTube Channel to 100,000 Subs

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
So Feb is over.

I had a goal to get to 20 total channel videos but fell three short...

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 14.29.21.png

The stats look decent for the month...

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 14.32.03.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 14.33.29.png

Still a small time channel but growth has been good.

Got a lot of things to work on in the future. The plan for March is to run a 20 part mini series on a lot of beginner questions and concerns. Make it really simple for people to get their first sale and get going.

I really need to work on branding and production but this will take some time to implement.

All in though very happy with my first proper month and looking forward to another.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

DanWasDrunk

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 20, 2018
Los Angeles
Do you have a channel trailer? If not, that should be your next move. There are a couple templates and tutorials on Youtube. Generally just keep it under a minute. Thirty seconds seems to be the sweet spot.

I created one yesterday and went from 16 subscribers to 29.

Tiny numbers compared to you, but any progress is good progress. Just a thought.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
My first whiteboard style video. Not to sure how I feel about them yet. I will see how the response is.

One downside is that the size of the video, and also some post production editing, means it takes a lot longer to make and upload.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
hey fox, I have a good topic for you. I struggle with mindset, focus, and simply pulling the trigger. Can you cover those? Any tips? Also what is your success rate out of say 20 cold calls? Those I think would be good topics to cover for your youtube series and would be general enough for people not doing web design..

Also I've realized that the more engaged the youtuber is with their audience the more I am likely to subscribe to their channel. Talk about your struggles, why web design, barriers, etc...those would be great topics, everyone wants to hear inspiring stories.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
hey fox, I have a good topic for you. I struggle with mindset, focus, and simply pulling the trigger. Can you cover those? Any tips? Also what is your success rate out of say 20 cold calls? Those I think would be good topics to cover for your youtube series and would be general enough for people not doing web design..

Also I've realized that the more engaged the youtuber is with their audience the more I am likely to subscribe to their channel. Talk about your struggles, why web design, barriers, etc...those would be great topics, everyone wants to hear inspiring stories.

Thanks.

Ya great advice and I want to start making the content more personal and “behind the scenes” very soon. Thanks for the feedback, I’ll try do some videos on this soon.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
Do you have any "top 10" style videos? Those do pretty well.
Or maybe "compilations", something like "5 websites you must visit for free web design resources".

Another idea you could do is asking subscribers to send you their designs/websites and you make a video with suggestions to improve them.

I haven't seen any of this style for web design but what about timelapse videos?

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Thanks.

Ya great advice and I want to start making the content more personal and “behind the scenes” very soon. Thanks for the feedback, I’ll try do some videos on this soon.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB-jBFDCd84

Here is a great example.

I actually remember subscribing to his channel after watching his struggle. When you feel someone's GENUINE pain, you root for them. Some of these youtubers are fake as F*ck and most people can see through it (example Logan Paul).

dgr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Feb 20, 2016
Spain
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB-jBFDCd84

Here is a great example.

I actually remember subscribing to his channel after watching his struggle. When you feel someone's GENUINE pain, you root for them. Some of these youtubers are fake as f*ck and most people can see through it (example Logan Paul).
Authenticity and a coherent brand are behind all successful youtubers.

I don't have experience with this, but this weekend a friend of mine introduces me to the Casey Neistat channel (he has a serious addiction to the channel) and I immediately was interested about how this guy has made it.

I like your videos, @Fox. They're very informative in a way is not usual to find out there. And you look very honest in them. But what I've found is that all these successful youtubers are more entertainers than teachers.

That's a pain for me because I prefer to teach, and to be informed first, and entertain, or be entertained, last.

But I suppose that you have to engage your audience (mainly your new visitors) emotionally first and then provide them value. Like any other selling process, I guess.

Anyway, maybe these videos can help to get some tips ;)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFLz_-u2CXM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXLz42Kkd5g

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

I don't have experience with this, but this weekend a friend of mine introduces me to the Casey Neistat channel (he has a serious addiction to the channel) and I immediately was interested about how this guy has made it.

I like your videos, @Fox. They're very informative in a way is not usual to find out there. And you look very honest in them. But what I've found is that all these successful youtubers are more entertainers than teachers.

That's a pain for me because I prefer to teach, and to be informed first, and entertain, or be entertained, last.

But I suppose that you have to engage your audience (mainly your new visitors) emotionally first and then provide them value. Like any other selling process, I guess.

Thanks. I watch a lot of both of these channels to learn. The huge skillset that these guys have honed for years is the ability to tell a real captivating story. The can turn buying a gallon of milk into a captivating 10 minute movie. It’s something I will have to work on but I’m definitely aware of it. Such a key skill.

Thanks for sharing.

dgr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Feb 20, 2016
Spain

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread upgraded to NOTABLE... I'm smelling a process here!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Thread upgraded to NOTABLE... I'm smelling a process here!

Thanks @MJ DeMarco. That encourages me a lot to keep going.

Very hard to get traction on YouTube starting off but I feel like its one of those things where after 1-2 years it just "pops". It is so impressive what these bigger YouTube channels have achieved. Anyone can start so its technically "zero barrier" but to get traction you need to master dozens of different skills. Its skills that are highly transferable also so its great to have to work on these everyday. Let's see if I can hit that 10k in 2018!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I don’t think all people successfully using YouTube as a marketing channel are entertainers. Many people do informative videos as part of their “give value” strategy.

I personally don’t watch entertaining videos by “YouTube personalities”. I watch rugby or boxing videos for entertainment.

When I use YouTube to figure something out I like to be in and out fast.

Someone who I think is interesting is Jerry Banfield.
  • His videos can be very long.
  • He doesn’t do much post production (if any?).
  • He seems to mostly do screen shares with a talking head in the corner.
  • He churns videos out every day I think. Maybe multiple a day.
  • He’s trained himself to eradicate filler words.
  • He’s using those free and informative videos to drive sales of his video courses.
  • He doesn’t force people onto an email list - if you like his free videos then you can find out about the courses in the video descriptions.
  • You may not like his style, but there’s no denying he’s ernest.

Just a counter-point to show there are other types of videos and styles that can work very well.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So Feb is over.

I had a goal to get to 20 total channel videos but fell three short...

View attachment 18313

The stats look decent for the month...

View attachment 18314

View attachment 18315

Still a small time channel but growth has been good.

Got a lot of things to work on in the future. The plan for March is to run a 20 part mini series on a lot of beginner questions and concerns. Make it really simple for people to get their first sale and get going.

I really need to work on branding and production but this will take some time to implement.

All in though very happy with my first proper month and looking forward to another.
Great work. Well done @Fox

dgr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Feb 20, 2016
Spain
I don’t think all people successfully using YouTube as a marketing channel are entertainers. Many people do informative videos as part of their “give value” strategy.
I agree, but I was talking about the big players (>1M subs). Anyway, I used the word "all" too lightly.

He’s trained himself to eradicate filler words.
Oooh... I love this... probably we like the same style, but I think we are the exception, not the norm. Anyway, focusing on this informative-and-direct-to-the-point approach can be a differentiation in a see of verbose videos (if you want an audience of very logical and pragmatic people who value their time).

• He’s using those free and informative videos to drive sales of his video courses.
This is key I think. It doesn't matter if you have 1M subscribers or 2k. If you drive sales to your products, you don't depend on the ads (and the Youtube policies about that).

dgr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Feb 20, 2016
Spain
Hmmm... I should be working but instead, I'm trying to figure out how some youtubers have grown up their channels.

Anyway...

Something I've found is that having a well know youtuber in your video helps a lot. It can be an interview with him (the best) or some commentary about him.

One example is this video from Stefan Kunz featuring Peter McKinnon:

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-08 a las 16.42.13.png

Now see how his channel has exploded since that video (data available at UC770_BSzjKBesS4QzqMARCA YouTube Stats, Channel Statistics - Socialblade.com):

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-08 a las 16.43.54.png

So, quality content on youtube does matter a lot. But who you know also matters. why not try to look for this connections?

An easier way to do this is using topics that receive a lot of attention. You can use them to channel that attention to your own channel.

Some examples from This Guy Edits, a channel about editing on film:

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-08 a las 16.25.42.png

He didn't need an interview with Casey, but Neistat himself commented on the video.

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-08 a las 16.22.33.png

A great movie scene classified as "wrong"? Great click bait!

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-08 a las 16.24.05.png

More people or topics that attract a lot of attention and desire to know more.

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-08 a las 16.24.17.png

A lot of people looking for Final Cut Pro X, for sure.

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-08 a las 16.24.30.png

The typical list for beginners.

Another technique can be using evergreen topics that people are always looking for. Like this tutorial from Blender Guru about Color (this is one of the most informative channels I've found–this guy is great explaining things):

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-08 a las 16.40.59.png

His channel has exploded since he appears in camera, and this is one of the key ingredients:

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-08 a las 16.38.50.png

Notice how the change in the subs after this video (from Feb. 17)

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-08 a las 16.56.22.png

Do you notice some other trends in this graph?...

The subs went up every January!

Why can be that? I'll try to provide a theory in another post. Not to create a cliffhanger, but because I can't attach more images to this post :D

dgr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Feb 20, 2016
Spain
Why every January the Blender Guru channel earns a lot of new subscribers?

A possible explanation can be that at the start of the year a lot of people makes New Year's resolutions to learn new things? I don't know, but Andrew (the youtuber) uploads some beginner series each year at the start of the academic course (Sep. - Oct.)

2017:
Captura de pantalla 2018-03-08 a las 16.56.50.png

2016:
Captura de pantalla 2018-03-08 a las 16.38.38.png

I think this is a great strategy: starting a beginner series on Sep. and keep updating it on Jan.

When you have a lot of quality content in the channel, you are ready to use some of these tactics in a video that has more possibilities to have a lot of views...

Because another thing I've noticed is that before subscribing to a channel, a lot of people (including me) visit first the channel front page. That's a great place to let the visitors know what the channel is about and what can expect if they subscribe.

Having previous quality videos helps a lot. Along with a description in the header, etc.

Another thing successful youtubers do is to be more niche-specific at first, and evolve into more general topics once they have enough audience and engagement. Classical Seth Godin advice :D

This is pure analysis and theory. I don't have any real experience in growing a youtube channel. But this mystery has captivated my analytical mind this week :D

btw, I think @Fox you are doing it quite well.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
This week has been zero for youtube. I got areas that need more immediate focus and youtube took the hit.

Going forwards I’ll have to work smarter to make time and stay consistent.

Thanks for the post above @diegorueda - I’m on a phone so won’t quote you.

sebastian chavez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Dec 21, 2017
Chicago, Il
Hello just thought id pop back in on this forum with an update. I created this personal website Home - chicagoheightsmma with some the advice from FOX's web design thread.

after finishing the udemy course that was recommended. I'm already getting good feed back on design and messages for sign ups.

It's also linked to my YouTube channel OMG SEBS.

TIPS I'VE LEARNED for Website making:
*5 second rule. From first sight, what do you do? and what do you sell?
*Call to action, clean design, testimonials, contact etc... find a design you like some what replicate it or tailor it to your service
*Use local lead gen. tip from @Andy Black's YouTube.

Thanks peeps hope that helps someone out

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hello just thought id pop back in on this forum with an update. I created this personal website Home - chicagoheightsmma with some the advice from FOX's web design thread.

after finishing the udemy course that was recommended. I'm already getting good feed back on design and messages for sign ups.

It's also linked to my YouTube channel OMG SEBS.

TIPS I'VE LEARNED for Website making:
*5 second rule. From first sight, what do you do? and what do you sell?
*Call to action, clean design, testimonials, contact etc... find a design you like some what replicate it or tailor it to your service
*Use local lead gen. tip from @Andy Black's YouTube.

Thanks peeps hope that helps someone out

Glad to help out. Thats cool that you got such a dynamic subject for your first job, that will help you sell later.

How did you connect with the fighter to get this project?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hmmm... I should be working but instead, I'm trying to figure out how some youtubers have grown up their channels.

Anyway...

Something I've found is that having a well know youtuber in your video helps a lot. It can be an interview with him (the best) or some commentary about him.

One example is this video from Stefan Kunz featuring Peter McKinnon:

View attachment 18480

Now see how his channel has exploded since that video (data available at UC770_BSzjKBesS4QzqMARCA YouTube Stats, Channel Statistics - Socialblade.com):

View attachment 18481

So, quality content on youtube does matter a lot. But who you know also matters. why not try to look for this connections?

An easier way to do this is using topics that receive a lot of attention. You can use them to channel that attention to your own channel.

Some examples from This Guy Edits, a channel about editing on film:

View attachment 18482

He didn't need an interview with Casey, but Neistat himself commented on the video.

View attachment 18486

A great movie scene classified as "wrong"? Great click bait!

View attachment 18485

More people or topics that attract a lot of attention and desire to know more.

View attachment 18484

A lot of people looking for Final Cut Pro X, for sure.

View attachment 18483

The typical list for beginners.

Another technique can be using evergreen topics that people are always looking for. Like this tutorial from Blender Guru about Color (this is one of the most informative channels I've found–this guy is great explaining things):

View attachment 18479

His channel has exploded since he appears in camera, and this is one of the key ingredients:

View attachment 18487

Notice how the change in the subs after this video (from Feb. 17)

View attachment 18488

Do you notice some other trends in this graph?...

The subs went up every January!

Why can be that? I'll try to provide a theory in another post. Not to create a cliffhanger, but because I can't attach more images to this post :D

Great post, I don't know how I missed this originally. Lots of solid ideas here - thanks.

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
Great progress so far!

When I looked at your channel, I noticed you don't have one consistent theme for thumbnails though:

upload_2018-3-20_12-4-21.png

Obviously, in the beginning, you need to test around what style works best, what style fits your brand the most and what style stands out in the search results.

I would really recommend keeping the thumbnails consistent though -as soon as you find one style that works. That also means going back to your old videos and redesigning the thumbnails to fit your new standard. Really simple, but will set you apart from others.

The reason is simple:
  • The channel doesn't look chaotic (like it does right now)
  • It's easier to recognize your videos in the "related videos" tab
  • It's easier to recognize your videos on the recommended or subscription tab
Which all result in more views & loyal viewers.

Good luck!

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-20_12-8-16.png
    upload_2018-3-20_12-8-16.png
    600.2 KB · Views: 9

sebastian chavez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Dec 21, 2017
Chicago, Il
Glad to help out. Thats cool that you got such a dynamic subject for your first job, that will help you sell later.

How did you connect with the fighter to get this project?
Hey @Fox I am the fighter. What better way to showcase your skills than to promote yourself.

I've also had two job offers because of this website. I took up one of the offers.
One for web design at an agency and one for being a coach.

Thanks a lot for the gems you've dropped on your forum.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Back from a pretty decent break. Trying to get a more "boots on the ground" approach where I actually show what goes on with real projects and places.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
These videos blow my mind every time. Makes manufacturing look cool as hell. Not that there's anything uncool about the multi-million dollar facility, equipment, and process going on there. That's cool by itself. But your videos make it look even more cool.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
These videos blow my mind every time. Makes manufacturing look cool as hell. Not that there's anything uncool about the multi-million dollar facility, equipment, and process going on there. That's cool by itself. But your videos make it look even more cool.

Thanks Lex. Trying to change it up a little and not have another video of just my face shouting at the screen ha.

I really like the style of travel videos so trying to combine that style in if possible.

Bhanu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 23, 2017
Thank you so much Fox. This is an amazing thread with real action .
I was watching your Youtube videos and one comment stuck me :

"
Olmby.se3 months ago
My question is what's in it for you? What are you gaining from teaching this to other people? "

It got me thinking about difference in mindset between a fastlaner and a slowlaner . A fastlanes is selfless and a slowlaner's first thought is 'what is in it for me' .
Thank you again for quality content and putting so much effort to make these videos. Appreciate it !!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.