The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting Fit In The Fastlane

D

DeletedUser394

Business is doing well, I quit my job, I quit school, but one thing is lacking. Health.

I mean, I'm healthy in the sense that I have no illnesses, but is that really 'health'? I don't think so. I want optimum health.

A while back I was doing well physically, had gained lean muscle mass and all, but once business started getting more serious I lost the drive to be fit somewhere along the way.

I'm pretty sure this is a common problem for many entrepreneurs and business people... in fact I know it is.

So what's the goal? The goal is to weigh at least 140 lbs (end goal 145lbs, but when I last got up to 140lbs I was rather pleased with the results) by B&P and to be physically active in some capacity every day, which I will expand on at a later date when I'm not exhausted. Only 140 lbs? Well, I'm vertically challenged, so even at my current weight of ~132 lbs I technically fall within the healthy BMI chart. But I don't want to be 'just healthy', I want to be a beast. I want to be an Iron Man/Elon Musk demi-god of business, finance, and life.

This goal would be easy for a lot of people, but I don't usually spend much time eating. I prefer to use my precious waking moments to make money and piss people off on the internet. So this is going to take some re programming.

Also I'm a vegetarian, which complicates but in no way inhibits my ability to gain weight. I primarily need to eat more and I need to pick up and put down heavy objects (weights).

Step 1 is definitely returning to a proper sleep schedule. With no school and no regular job, I seldom go to bed, and when I do I wake up at ridiculous hours. Where productivity is concerned, I'm a day person, so this is hurting.

I'm going to set a sleep schedule and wake up every day at the same time, as well as go to bed around the same time (give or take, depending on what's going on) every day.

A simple step like that is a huge first step.

Whether your own goal is to lose weight, gain weight, get more active, or anything in between.. don't put it off. Get started now. I'm pretty sure you can build wealth and have health simultaneously ;)

Starting weight: 132 lbs
Goal weight: 140-145 lbs

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Get a decent amount of sunlight. It promotes vitamin d and calcium in some way. UV light also promotes melatonin production, which is what controls the sleep cycle. I'm a night time person without a doubt but melatonin supplements put me out at 30 minutes max.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Crossfit! Crossfit! and more Crossfit!!! Join a class. Try it out for a few weeks. You won't be disappointed. And withing 3 months, you'll be in the best shape of your life!

and piss people off on the internet.

Why??/ What's the point of this? It's a waste of time and brings negative energy to you. Time to grow up an get over that crap. Read the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. Also ready some of James Altuchers work.

Also I'm a vegetarian, which complicates but in no way inhibits my ability to gain weight. I primarily need to eat more and I need to pick up and put down heavy objects (weights).

What's the reason for being a vegetarian? Is it because you think it's healthy? Or another reason. It's probably one of the worst diets you can possibly be on. Our bodies aren't meant to eat like that. You definitely do not get enough protein, essential aminos and vitamins, no matter how much quinoa you eat. We are meat eaters. Our bodies NEED Meat, chicken, eggs, fish, etc... You'll never reach your goals by being a vegetarian.

Some people may disagree, but I've done a ton of research on nutrition, and know people on pretty much every possible diet. When I look at, and speak to vegetarians, I know that it just does not work. Period. Some people like to lie and say they feel great. But I always get the truth out of them.

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
......What's the reason for being a vegetarian? Is it because you think it's healthy? Or another reason. It's probably one of the worst diets you can possibly be on. Our bodies aren't meant to eat like that. You definitely do not get enough protein, essential aminos and vitamins, no matter how much quinoa you eat. We are meat eaters. Our bodies NEED Meat, chicken, eggs, fish, etc... You'll never reach your goals by being a vegetarian.

Some people may disagree, but I've done a ton of research on nutrition, and know people on pretty much every possible diet. When I look at, and speak to vegetarians, I know that it just does not work. Period. Some people like to lie and say they feel great. But I always get the truth out of them.

Untrue.

100% vegetarian.....

http://www.thefrankmedrano.com

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio

I used to run some ultra-marathons with some guys that were pure vegetarians and they did ok, but they were always lacking something, and had a hard time reaching that next level. I remember getting enough protein was one of the biggest issues. They always had a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, and baby food on tap. Yum yum ...

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
"For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer."- Arnold Schwarzenegger

D

DeletedUser394

First off, the comment about pissing people off on the internet is not to be taken seriously so relax wwith your advice.

Second I'm a vegetarian for religious purposes so you nneed to be quiet and have some respect.

Overall your advice is unwarranted and inappropriate And Offensive. I normally support you but this is out of line.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
First off, the comment about pissing people off on the internet is not to be taken seriously so relax wwith your advice.

Second I'm a vegetarian for religious purposes so you nneed to be quiet and have some respect.

Overall your advice is unwarranted and inappropriate And Offensive. I normally support you but this is out of line.

Huh???? :confused:

I don't get it. I'm in no way trying to be offensive. I'm looking out for you and trying to help you. What did I say? I always respected you on the forum, am Facebook friends with you, offer you advice. Basically thought we were cool with each other. I don't understand. Maybe I'm missing something?

I didn't mean anything in a disrespectful way. If you were a complete stranger, I wouldn't have put it that way. Thought you'd be able to understand where I was coming from. Guess not.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

lol.

Who pissed in your cornflakes? You should grow a thicker skin if you want to participate in pissing each other of on the interwebz. :tiphat:

Likwid's advice is solid, but lift weights instead of crossfit. You'll get better results, as crossfit is too high intensity to bulk up.

Out of interest, which religion forbids eating meat? Never heard of that.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Getting snarky with everyone offering sound advice or someone simply making a mistake is not the way to build bridges. We don't know who you are, we don't follow your posts with bated breath, but everyone here is attempting to help.

:eusa_clap:

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
RichKid, are you a vegetarian or a vegan? If you're vegetarian, try grabbing an awesome protein mix like MuscleMilk to help you bulk up. It'll have the calories and protein to get you there.

Also, I too would lift weights over Crossfit. We all know my sob story, wa-wa where's the whambulance, I've talked about my bad back way too much, but what I was doing to get myself injured is child's play compared to Crossfit. They desperately need to get someone involved with some knowledge of kinesiology. I'm sure the Crossfit people will disagree, but always keep full body health in mind over just muscular.

When you lift weights, make sure you reaaally push it to the point of physical exhaustion. If that means dropping weight after your set to get in a few more reps, do it. That hypertrophy is what tears down your muscles to build 'em back up.

Goodluck, and I hope you stick around! :)

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012

nitroheadz28

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Aug 10, 2013
San Diego - NYC
I've essentially started doing what you are attempting this August when I started transitioning into the fastlane mindset. Fitness and business is what I've been putting most of my effort into. I find the most challenging thing is going a little stir crazy working from home, I definitely need to work on being outside during the day cause I just go to the gym for 1.5 hours 5 nights a week and don't otherwise leave my house during the week. Problem is that there is never enough time to get everything done :(

I also would advise against crossfit, I think you'd reach your goals much easier with weight/ strength training. So far in just over 2 months I've upped my weight 20-30lbs in almost all of my work outs, conditioned my body to run 3x longer than I ever could, and can't wait to see where I'll be at a year from now. I wish you luck, be persistent and don't get discouraged!

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Out of interest, which religion forbids eating meat? Never heard of that.

I only know of two religions that forbid eating meat: Jainism and Buddhism

hotshot

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 24, 2012
Ontario
Step 1 is definitely returning to a proper sleep schedule. With no school and no regular job, I seldom go to bed, and when I do I wake up at ridiculous hours. Where productivity is concerned, I'm a day person, so this is hurting.

I know this feeling all too well. I don't usually "wake up" until after dinner, which pushes my schedule forward each day. The only solution that works for me is to stay up all night and sleep early the next evening.

You definitely have an uphill battle being a vegetarian. I agree with dknise you gotta lift heavy weight to make big gains. Drop-sets helped me bulk up for sure (dropping the weight and lifting until failure, repeat). I would save this for the final sets of the day. I'm a skinny guy (6' 145lbs) but I was able to get up to 165lbs lifting heavy every morning and eating LOTS. Not discriminating against carbs, fiber, protein etc.. just eating a lot. Coffee before the workout.

Disclaimer: I'm in the same situation as you now.. I lost all that muscle when school / work got in the way. I also had to start making my own food as opposed to having meals provided at a work camp.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I totally forgot why I was going to post in the first place! haha

You can reach your fitness goals in the fastlane, and I think hitting those goals will actually help you because you'll feel better, think clearer, and be more confident.

I started the year off weighing in at something like 216 pounds, I really let myself go from all those back problems. I now weigh 176! :D I barely changed my diet but added a minimum of 30 minutes a day at 3 mph and 12% incline on a treadmill and a casual lift routine.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
BTW- Don't know what ya'll people are talking about when you say to stay away from crossfit if you want big gains. lol. That's absolutely false. A HUGE part of Crossfit is Olympic Power Lifting. Squats, Deadlifts, Presses. These are what get you big. Allow you to put on size. Not inflating vanity muscles such as chest and bi's.

I've lifted my entire life. My favorite exercise has Always been squats. I love doing legs! (Probably because I play hockey). All I have to say, is thanks to Crossfit, I squated 300 lbs for the first time in my life this week. I am also VERY close to deadlifting 400 lbs. Never thought I would get anywhere close to those numbers before Crossfit.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
A while back I was doing well physically, had gained lean muscle mass and all, but once business started getting more serious I lost the drive to be fit somewhere along the way.

I'm pretty sure this is a common problem for many entrepreneurs and business people... in fact I know it is.

It's true, at least in my case. I've always been in good physical shape but just like you I don't feel like I have optimal health. Tomorrow I start my new and improved program for health/fitness. Diet, exercise, sleep, etc has all been factored in.

The following are just some resources that I used to get my personalized program together:

Sleep - http://www.bulletproofexec.com/category/sleephacks/

Advisory Video On This Topic From A Pro & Literally For Entrepreneurs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofZyigCKKAE

FREE Nutrition Course For Athletes -
There is one on weight loss too but your goal is to gain weight. I went through it quickly before, but will do it again. It wasn't tailored for vegetarians but I know there will be some 'golden nuggets' there for you. http://www.precisionnutrition.com/course-for-athletes

Cheers

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
BTW- Don't know what ya'll people are talking about when you say to stay away from crossfit if you want big gains. lol. That's absolutely false. A HUGE part of Crossfit is Olympic Power Lifting. Squats, Deadlifts, Presses. These are what get you big. Allow you to put on size. Not inflating vanity muscles such as chest and bi's.

I've lifted my entire life. My favorite exercise has Always been squats. I love doing legs! (Probably because I play hockey). All I have to say, is thanks to Crossfit, I squated 300 lbs for the first time in my life this week. I am also VERY close to deadlifting 400 lbs. Never thought I would get anywhere close to those numbers before Crossfit.

Crossfit will get you muscle gains.

Crossfit will also get you ruptured discs, torn knee and shoulder joints, and chronic rhabdomyolysis.

Also, there's a lot of evidence that shows that routine daily exercise above 160 bpm shortens your life dramatically compared to no exercise, while 30 minutes a day between 125 and 160 bpm can extend it up to ten years. I used to be a long distance runner and matched records on crew, pushing myself so hard I'd piss myself. I ended up not walking for 2 years and needed spinal decompression surgery. I was only 19 or 20 at the time.

There's a Crossfit gym across from my apartment and I cringe every time I see them outside with a ton of weigh ton their shoulders, back arched, not lifting with their legs, and slamming their bodies around with high impact training. I have zero doubt in my mind that every single one of them will be completely, medically F*cked in 5 to 10 years.

This PSA was regretfully brought to you by dknise. Stay safe. :)

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I can Argue all day long on this subject, but it's not worth it. You guys have your opinions, which I know I will not change. I know what works for me, and to group of people I've been working out with, and training for the past year.

I guess the best way to put it is - Try a bunch of different things, and stick with what works best for you. Everyone's different. What works for one, may not work for another.

SQT

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Dec 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
I don't usually spend much time eating. I prefer to use my precious waking moments to make money and piss people off on the internet. So this is going to take some re programming.
I actually just started a website to help skinny guys gain muscle because I'm going through the same issues myself.
I finished writing an article about how to eat more to reach your caloric intake goals. I took the concept of building habits from BJ Fogg (tiny habits) and applied it to adding more eating to your day.
Here's what I wrote about the mindhack:

The mind hack is to start small with the new habit you want and anchor it with a habit you already have. For example, every morning after you change clothes (old habit) go to the kitchen and eat one whole sweet potato (small step to the new habit). If you think a whole sweet potato is too much, then go half.

And if that’s too much of a leap, drink a cup of milk. The key is that when your mind reaches that seemingly small easy goal that you have set, you will have that feeling of victory.

From that awesome feeling of achievement, you’ll find it easier to just actually continue eating the whole meal you have prepared. It might take a few days of small wins to reach that, but it will feel much more motivating to keep adding the extra meals and food you’ll be eating. This simple mind trick works well for this and other habits you want to create as well. When you operate from a place of small victories, you’ll find it much more motivating to tackle the big goals.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.