The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

For those who haven't made a sale yet...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Let's help those who haven't made a sale yet.

For those who haven't made a sale yet, reply below with what you're struggling with.

In the meantime, here's some questions for you to ponder:

1) What currently keeps a roof over your head?

2) What do people already come to you for help with?

3) If someone had a gun to your head and said you need to make a sale this week then what would you do?

4) If money was no object what work would you be doing?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Let's help those who havent made a sale yet.

For those who havent made a sale yet, reply below with what you're struggling with.

In the meantime, here's some questions for you to ponder:

1) What currently keeps a roof over your head?

2) If someone had a gun to your head and said you need to make a sale this week then what would you do?

3) What do people already come to you for help with?

4) If money was no object what work would you be doing?
As I am testing out a new concept I sold a $500 package of services last week. Took 2 hours of unskilled labor to complete. $250/hour. I can contract it out for a fraction of that.

Subcontracting separates time from income. The business demonstrated need, and scale only needs replication. Control is there. Barrier to entry is based on unique value proposition. The business is definitely replicatable by somebody else but with fresh market movers advantage, there’s a ton of business to be taken anyway. Copycat of a unique value proposition usually fail because they fail in execution, trying to take some thing that looks easy.

I can think of 10 ways you could do a similar business concept without needing any capital. I performed the physical labor myself, just so that I understood every aspect of the business you need to be the worker before you can deploy scale.

Here are businesses that you could start with minimal expertise in the services industry that would give you similar results. You could start these businesses in your immediate market area and expand out from there.

elder care : home welfare for absentee children with elderly parents. Perfect subcontract would be stay at home moms that would work for you on a 1099 basis. Deploy it like Instacart meets home nursing. Important to note that you are not going to do the work. You’re going to have stay at home moms doing it for 25 bucks per visit. You’re going to charge 100 bucks per visit.

Punch list : there isn’t a house in America that doesn’t have a need for a handyman, but getting organized to get one over to the house and get shit done is some thing that most people have a punch list for, but don’t do. there are 28 houses in my neighborhood. If I went door to door with a checklist of 10 services, I could probably schedule 28 appointments. on my Services list? Touch up painting. Weeding. Plumbing. Electrical. One and done home cleaning. One and done pool cleaning. Palm tree trimming. 10 or 15 services on the checklist. We will get the Services schedule and get back to you with an appointment time. Subcontract with a 20% override. You’ve now just made it easy for people to do what they need to do anyway, and you’ve given a group of services to a subcontractor. You change the value proposition, and you don’t do any of the physical work yourself. As you scale this, you’re not even the one carrying the checklist around. You’re simply paying a commission to the sales person for securing the jobs. Now scale.

virtual garage sale. You literally move everything you want to sell to your garage. That’s all the customer has to do. I send a high school kid over to take photos and list on eBay from their garage using their Wi-Fi. I pay the high school kid $12 an hour for listing. More items, high ASP. 50% retained by seller. Whatever doesn’t sell stays at the house. All the sudden I have a massive eBay store generating money, 24 seven.

Let’s take the same concept, but deploy it for local retail. Retailer owns a bookstore, but he does not sell online. Has some unique titles used books, new books, everything. We will take her inventory, put it online. Shipped from the store. Profit split. You don’t own any inventory. Now get five stores to let you use their inventory to sell online. Use my same labor pool of stay at home moms or high school kids to manage listings and shipping. I did this once with a single employee, and it was terrifically profitable. Book stores, craft stores, even auto parts stores. Premise here is you don’t own the inventory and you don’t do the work. You have violated a couple of MJ‘s commandments, but you’ve created a business out of nothing with zero cash.

Media network. Place advertising in podcasts. Reciprocal link exchanges. Fee to be in your podcast network. they get reciprocal advertising of their podcast on other podcasts across the network and post production audio editing. When I was producing podcasts for people, I was charging $1000 per month for a one hour podcast per week. If you want to take mobile podcast recording to your clients, you can find used equipment on the Facebook marketplace. Even if you want to create a mobile podcast recording service, your total investment is going to be less than $1000. Connect with a local vocational school and have students do the mobile recording for you. Your first client pays for your equipment in one month.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I work 7 days a week as a Security Guard, making barely above minimum wage. Split rent with my wife.

Have professional photos taken of me working out. Develop a simple landing page with testimonials and a clear CTA with one-click checkout. Paid ads leading to the landing page.

At least once a week in the gym I have someone coming up to me and complimenting my shape or asking for advice. Oftentimes more than once a week.

I'd be bodybuilding full-time. Competing in bodybuilding competitions and the grind it is to get in stage-ready shape. Spending time with my wife and dog. Enjoying some sunshine. Good food. Relaxing. Reading. Helping my parents financially. Quality time with my family. Maybe an occasional excursion to somewhere tropical a few times a year. Sounds like heaven...

Yet again. Same story for me. I don't feel ready yet. Still want to give it 2 years time or so.
Two years from now, you will be worse off than you are now, not better. Start right now.

I sent a bunch of my clients products to a photographer and traded him the products for professional photos. You have something to barter right now for professional photography. Services. Post on Facebook that you need a professional photo shoot done in exchange for two personal training sessions.

Also, rather than working as a security guard go get yourself a job as a personal trainer. You’ll make more money in the immediate term even if you are working for somebody else because you are already working for somebody else.

Don’t make your wife wait two more years for this. Your security job is a dime a dozen. You are ridiculously underpaid.

You don’t have two years to F*ck around. You need to make a change. Two years is an eternity for what you are doing and two years will turn into four years because there’s nothing that says you will take action two years from now. You won’t.

Put a line in the sand. Go for broke. You’re already broke. It’s not going to get much worse and most likely you will fight your way into it getting better.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
94DFB471-7C31-48D9-91E5-6CB2065C7BD1.jpeg94DFB471-7C31-48D9-91E5-6CB2065C7BD1.jpegI keep saying I have been trying to apply the advice all these years. I keep coming up with plans.
I keep plotting. I keep working on my SaaS. I have worked on the mindset and been enthusiastic and hopefull hundreds of times. I show up for GoalSumo.com every day. I can't get any closer to a product I could launch.

Maybe I am missing a relevant aspect of the advice because of some sort of filter, but I have tried being actively being grateful. When you wake up and "a2re allowed" to keep punching your balls, then I don't see howl reframing that is the answer.
You can't be happy without a single win and just convince yourself that you are happy. Being grateful for not being more miserable is brought up all the F*cking time by people who live awesome lives, but it is not a thing that works.
I’ve been $1 million in debt. I woke up one day, having the company that I built ripped out from underneath me in a hostile takeover, leaving me with a child on the way to college, a second one in the house, a wife who was a stay at home mother. All my money was in the company. I was $1 million in debt. And on that morning, the company was gone. It took me three days to get out of the fetal position and be able to breathe again.

Tell me more about having a shitty mindset and how nobody understands or has real world actionable advice.

Did you start from zero? Cool. You’re $1 million ahead of where I was when I had to restart. I don’t know anybody at this forum that I have met that was handed anything.

You’ve been here five years. If you’re going to cry over somebody who can’t get their shit together, that’s a pretty good indicator that you can’t get your shit together either. That’s not even what the thread was designed for.

You rip on the people trying to help. Meanwhile, you ignored the original post.

So let’s hear it. If you had to start making money today… If you lost everything… If you started from zero or $1 million in the hole, what would you do?

There’s only one answer that won’t work here. That’s taking a job as a security guard and telling your wife to wait two years while you watch YouTube videos.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
I have many ideas that I know could be worth a lot, but I find no way to bootstrap any because I can't find an appealing feature set for an MVP that can be developed on the side. Figuring out payment processing that complies with all the laws is one of the hurdles that makes me want to kill myself.

1.) My day job that takes up 8h + each work day
2.) I would want that guy to pull the trigger, my life sucks
3.) I am mostly a ghost, at work I am tolerated as a cog in the software development machine
4.) Hire people who are smarter than I am and who can tame complexity - but not sure I would be able to sell my vision

Wake up brother.

Fastlaners eat difficulty for breakfast.
We do not care how bad things are. We do what we want and we create the reality that we envision.

Most of us have hit a very hard and painful rock bottom, at least once in our lives.
This is a great thing, because rock is a solid foundation, and you can only go up from there.

The life you think you are living is the bullshit story that you keep telling yourself as to why things are the way they are and why you cannot be successful.

But you've repeated it enough times that you think it's reality.
It is not.

It's a made up imaginary story you have cooked up in your head.

You have the freedom to do anything you want and be anything you want. But years of lying and self-deception have blinded you from seeing reality as it actually is.

If you have a roof over your head, food, water, and internet connection, you have all the tools and resources at your disposal to build anything you can imagine.

The only one that is stopping you from doing it is yourself.

In the game of life, the final boss is you.

Conquer this monster, and you have the freedom to do anything you can possibly imagine.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My capacity for gratitude is limited.
That's a limiting belief.

I am allowed to get up at 6 a.m. and work until my eyes hurt like hell every day.
Swap "allowed" for "get to".

I get to get up at 6a.m. and work until my eyes hurt like hell every day.

Some people don't get to get up.

Some people don't get to work.

Some people don't get to see.

A simple reframe could have an immediate impact on your mindset.

I have started a business, am trying to build a SaaS project. I am learning Russian, Japanese and two Piano pieces
If you had to focus on one then which would it be?

"I don't have time for xyz" is often code for "I chose to do something else instead".

PS: I suspect your mindset is what's holding you back (same as everyone btw). I mentioned considering getting professional help because I'm not a trained counsellor etc and whenever someone comes off as down in the dumps I worry that there's more going on than meets the eye.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
If I was to 100% restart today with zero knowledge, cash, or ideas, I would steal @biophase gummy bear/art idea that was detailed in the thread and just get something going using the framework that Lex has provided.

In my experience, taking that first step and getting something out there for people to buy is the hardest part. Once you do that, the experience begins to pile up and the next steps start to become clear.

Heck, I'm a few years into this and that thread kicked my a$$ into overdrive. It's a goldmine!
Lol, guess what I made today? I guess need to list them for sale to prove it to the naysayers. There’s $100 profit in this pic. 10 minutes of work.

B11B0D02-C768-4028-A9C2-95BCD06E4FDD.jpeg

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I appreciate the uplifting words but I try not to be swept away by sensationalism. This "GO GO GO HUSTLE GRIND RISK IT ALL NOTHING TO LOSE LIFE OR DEATH" mentality is truly overplayed. I think it's foolish to quit my job and dive all in. Why not wait, continue with the job, start once I'm ready whilst stilling working the job?

I do have a plan. It's less vague than "2 years" from now but I use that time frame as an example as it's easier to understand from the outside looking in. In the meantime I intend on improving my shape and competing at least once. I'm willing to let this take time.

Is it monotonous to reserve myself to being a Security Guard for the next 2 years? Absolutely. But I genuinely look at bodybuilding as my one and only goal in life at the moment. One that I eventually intend to monetize beyond $100k a year. I live and breathe nothing but bodybuilding. I research it all day, read, watch videos, think about it, prep for it, train, and talk about it. I know in time that I will be successful in the field as I'm completely devoted. But I wish to be my version of ready, and that isn't now.

I realize this is the fastlane forums, but it also depends on what your idea of success is. For example, if I could make a Security Guard salary being a bodybuilder full-time, I'd consider that success as I'd get to do what I love for a living. I know there's a chance for an income far greater than that but my bare-minimum ambition is in close reach.
You need a better job at the very least. My neighborhood pays our security guards 60k plus benefits. Not much, but better than minimum wage.

All this said. Your “two year plan” is an absolute procrastination and I think you should admit it for your own good.

Body building, as in building your body, is a hobby, not a business. It’s not about you.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I was saying it makes sense to pursue bodybuilding now as you don’t much time left.
He has at least 9 years. Bodybuilders don't peak until 32. 32-35 Is their Prime time.

This dude is actually too young for the success he wants. He says his plan is 2 years, but actually it's 6. Which only makes everyone else's points way more valid.

I don't even have a car so I couldn't start my own general handyman service

Wow.

You guys are speaking to a brick wall. I know you have good intentions and I appreciate the effort, but as it seems, it's a worthless effort.

And this is the dude that called me annoying?

I obsess over that as it's all I've got. That's my all or nothing.

The is the downside of what @Black_Dragon43 calls ruthlessness.

Here are just a few ideas to get you a car, save you time, get you more time with the wife at the very least.

You mentioned handyman skills. Cool. Handyman in any city are easy leads to get, because of good handyman is always busy they never answer their phone.

Create a one page website for "Ottawa Handyman". Run a Google ad campaign. Get phone calls. Give quotes over the phone.

Take an Uber to the job site, price it into your quote. Start earning between $300-$1k a day. Watch your YouTube videos on the drive.

Buy yourself a car as quickly as you can. Start charging more because you'll be able to bring better tools to the job site. You'll be more professional.

You'll be making more moula.

You can still have YouTube going on your phone while you're driving. You don't have to watch the video, you just have to listen right?

Start cherry picking jobs Like all handyman do. Pretty soon you only got to put in 5 hours for something that used to take you 8. That gives you more hours to train. You'll get home earlier.

You want to be a bodybuilder, you got to sell sponsorships right? What are you waiting for? Sign up as a brand ambassador. Tons of places out there will give you a little vig of anything that you sell. Clothing brands. Health brands. You just got to apply and then convince people to purchase the product. You could be a walking billboard.

I know that isn't necessarily a business, but it's more revenue in your pocket to do the same exact thing you're doing now. Talking to people at the gym.

And since you will have a vehicle, you can now carry around supplements and creatine powder and stuff. So when you're in the gym and people are complimenting you on how you're doing, tell them what you take, and then offer to sell them a pack of it for starters.

You will be making more money. You will have more time for your wife. You will have more time for your dream.

You can watch your YouTube videos at home instead of "on some job".

Before you even quit your job, build your website, and run the ads. Just listen to the phone calls that you'll get. If I'm wrong, you'll only be out a couple hundred dollars tops. But if I'm right, you're going to have a lot happier of a wife. And you're going to find it a lot easier to achieve your dreams.

And by the way, I am right. In two years you could have handyman working for you, and someone else answer the phones. I'll bet you're not the only personal trainer with handyman skills. Personal trainers often need to "supplement" their income. (Come on, that's a good double entendre.)

You could have a business that pays your family nicely.

And you could literally spend all day in the gym, recruiting handymen, pimping your own line of supplements that you developed yourself, and chasing the dream.

Hulk out bro.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I’m glad to see the support group for mediocrity is waning. Good job to the participants of this thread for dishing out the truth over coddling feelings.

The truth is always harder, but the truth is progress. Coddling is stagnation.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
The more I learn about the world, the more I realize that most people deserve the life they are living - good or bad.

Mostly because the life we are living... is our own creation.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
If I had to make a sale today, I would list something on Facebook Marketplace.

If I had to turn that into a business, I'd flip washers, dryers, and treadmills.

I just got a new washer and dryer set. I listed the old set at $200. It was gone in about 10 minutes.

I saw a nice treadmill listed the other day at $50. Said the tread was messed up and needed to be tightened.

Anyone know how to tighten a treadmill?

I do, and it takes less than 10 seconds to make it work like new. In fact, I just did it for my treadmill. Could barely walk on it before, but now I can run at high speed with incline. You literally just need a $5.00 hex key set from Wal-Mart.

Once it's fixed, that $50 treadmill becomes a $300 - $400 treadmill. Hell, you can deliver and set it up for that price.

There's a ton of simple-fix stuff that people are too lazy to deal with on Facebook Marketplace.

You can pretty much find a YouTube video to fix anything.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
All I think about is becoming such a phenomenal bodybuilder that it would be foolish not to hire me. I obsess over that as it's all I've got. That's my all or nothing.
Honestly, this is the scariest sentence that you have written in my opinion. What if nobody hires you?

Why is your goal predicated on the judgment of outside people. You need a goal that’s based on your own hard work, not acceptance from others. You cannot control that so do not base your dreams on something like that.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I have many ideas that I know could be worth a lot, but I find no way to bootstrap any because I can't find an appealing feature set for an MVP that can be developed on the side. Figuring out payment processing that complies with all the laws is one of the hurdles that makes me want to kill myself.

1.) My day job that takes up 8h + each work day
2.) I would want that guy to pull the trigger, my life sucks
3.) I am mostly a ghost, at work I am tolerated as a cog in the software development machine
4.) Hire people who are smarter than I am and who can tame complexity - but not sure I would be able to sell my vision
There's a lot going on here.

My first thought is to consider professional help if you're feeling as low as it sounds.

My second is to focus on the things you *can* do, and the things you're grateful for.

What's The ONE Thing you can do that would make everything else unnecessary or easier to do?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I am not saying they don't mean well. I am saying that the advice is wrong or insufficient.

"You make excuses" is not actionable. I still don't see a path to reach escape velocity. If you just want to worship forum vips and can't handle people who don't bow down and instead ask follow up questions this thread is not worth much.
Your problem isn’t the forum.

You will hate me saying this.

Your problem is YOU.

Seems you want the exact steps to success. Like a navigation system with turn by turn instructions “in 50 meters, turn left” type.

And no one will give you that. Because it’s on you to tinker and iterate to find the destination. Tinker. Try something different etc.

Then, when you start having some success, treat those iterations like a microscope that’s generally in focus. Small changes only. Results can become massive then.

You don’t like hearing that because it’s “not actionable” to you. Good news is that this place isn’t just for you. My response, this post, is public and my audience is those who are open and will get this message. They don’t wallow in self pity. They are action animals, trying and improving every day.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Sadly this might be my only option since I'm so hardheaded. I do want to make a better living, but not at the expense of foregoing this "hobby" of mine. I believe in a future in it.
You have an external locus. Look it up and start building an internal locus. You should read Jockos Extreme Ownership.

You are not powerless. You are not trapped in this job. It isn’t only this shit job or you automically destroy your body. That’s a BS lie that’s hurting you more than framing a house ever will.

I am honestly surprised you were able to find such a low paying security guard job.

The reality is you may actually take two years to remake your foundational understandings of the way this all works, but my hope is you hop on the right ladder now instead of climbing one leaned on whatever this is. Starting with, your position in life is a product of your own creation and advancement to something, anything better is a result of the decisions you begin making now.

Last edited:

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
I am probably in an emotional state where I should not write such a comment, but the whole JLE vs the world discussion is really getting to me.

It is so easy to say the issue are excuses and that it is a mindset issue. My whole experience with mindset is that it is a result of your circumstances.
Yanking your mindset elsewhere gets you excited for 10 seconds and you are back in the gutter once reality catches up again.

The suggestions I see here are non actionable bs advice. All I see is virtue signalling, nobody who really takes the profound issues seriously.

I pretty much walked back from the grave with a ton of debt, a broken body and soul, and an actual inability to work due to my health condition flaring from physical/mental exhaustion.

So I adapted and now I'm doing much, much better than all of my peers. It wasn't easy, I felt alone, and nobody could really relate to my experience. A lot of it felt like walking through a dark tunnel without a flashlight but I did it anyway.

I felt like telling people off for not getting my situation. But all that does is provide an excuse for you to wallow in pity forever.

But hear this. There was a story shared here—I'm having a hard time finding it—but it was about a guy who got paralyzed from a car crash and couldn't move his legs. Then, he somehow got into another car crash and he could now only use his VOICE and nothing else.

At the same time, due to his not being able to move (nor breathe well), the guy got pneumonia about 15 times in 2 years and his mother had to punch his ribcage all day for weeks so he could have a chance at living. He got through each and everyone one of those bouts of pneumonia even though his chances were low.

But the most stunning fact about the guy is that he managed to build a 7-figure business in those two years with just his VOICE and some software to help him navigate a computer! Last I read about him, he moved to Mexico in a nice house where hot caretakers see to his wellbeing.

So tell me, again, what are these profound issues you have that stop you from being successful?

Honestly, you have the same victim mentality and external locus of control as my mother. I'm trying so hard to help her see THE way out, and I've made some progress, but it's so ingrained in her that it feels like I'm trying to pry out a titanium door with a wooden stick.

Here's something to think about:

Nothing will get better for you until you give yourself permission to expect better things. Not hope, but expect.

In fact, I've found that the best combination for success in anything is taking action (regardless of the objective quality of said actions) and expecting things to work out even when your past experiences have conditioned you otherwise.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
What's really interesting about mindset and our thought process, is that it doesn't exist for real.

What I mean by this, is the fact that our psychological process is a petty attempt at trying to figure out what is going on around us. It is not reality, it's our best guess at what reality might look like.

The movie that is playing inside our head and the story that we keep telling ourselves is our own imagination.

We cannot see the world as it truly is. We will only see it as we are - which means that our past experiences will shape and distort our own perception of the world.

We are all flawed, and by extension, any mindset that we develop will be flawed and biased to some extent.

But the difference between a good mindset and a bad mindset, is that the former is closer to the truth. It's a more accurate description of reality.

And that's why it works. That's why having a good mindset will result in success: because what you think you know is very close to what is actually happening for real.

Your beliefs will determine your actions.
If your actions do not have success as a consequence, it means that they are the wrong actions. Which means that you are using the wrong mindset.

Reality will always tell you if you are right or wrong. Always.

The only question is, do you have the humility and courage to accept the fact that you are fundamentally wrong?

Do you truly want to change?

My mindset is pretty complex
WRONG

Your mindset is wrong.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You need a better job at the very least. My neighborhood pays our security guards 60k plus benefits. Not much, but better than minimum wage.

All this said. Your “two year plan” is an absolute procrastination and I think you should admit it for your own good.
I thought you were gone?

I’m assuming this is the type of stuff you were telling me about a few weeks back.

I can’t imagine telling my family they only have to eat Ramen noodles for two more years.

Two years rolls around and they are like where is the F*cking steak?

Money buys happiness.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Three times I've said:
I'm open to something better, but again, not at the expense of my "hobby" being eradicated from my life.

If you have a particular suggestion, I'll consider it.

Going to a trade school would take time I don't have and reduce my present income, going to college would do the same. I don't even have a car so I couldn't start my own general handyman service...

I don't wish to make a list of excuses as to why I can't get a better job as I frankly am more than comfortable with the job I work.

I don't love it and I clearly wish for better, but I don't see any better financial avenues that wouldn't detract from bodybuilding in some way. I really am trying even though it may not seem so.

I'm open to other forms of work and I never said this is the only job on the planet I could possibly have and still go to the gym but that's a roundabout-way to discredit me. Have an idea for what I could do instead without detracting from the gym? Suggest it.
You are treating bodybuilding as if it were a college degree. Many people could insert their hobby into your sentences.

If I play Call of Duty for 2 years I’ll get good enough to get on a pro team or become a streamer.

If I work on my garden for 2 years I’ll be able to sell gardening tools.

Honestly this train of thought is a pipe dream. In two years, you will need another year to get into better shape and then a third year passes by, you will say to yourself you need another year to be even better. Do you have a concrete goal of when you will start? It should be a weight in a certain body fat percentage I would think.

So in 2 years, one day you will look in the mirror and say to yourself yes, I am shredded enough to start my own personal training business. Then you quit your job and create a website and get clients.

I don’t see any type of planning here. There is no reason why you cannot start this now and if you do not start this right now, it will not be started two years from now. We can come back to this post in exactly 2 years to see if I’m wrong.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Then I resign my life over to being a Security Guard presumably? I don't have this fear whatsoever. If I'm a national competitor, or hell, ever even a pro, I'm more than convinced I'd have a lot of clientele. It would only take me 11 online clients charged at $200USD a month to entirely replace my current 7-day-a-week income from my job.

I think it is just painful for us to read about a 25 year old kid that wants to work 7 days a week for the next 2 years for $25k a year, in order for the chance to make $100k/yr as a personal trainer.

It’s just such a low reward, high output bet. It just doesn’t sit right with the audience here. It just feels like everything is so backwards.

I really hope you prove us wrong in 2025-2026.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I am not saying they don't mean well. I am saying that the advice is wrong or insufficient.

"You make excuses" is not actionable. I still don't see a path to reach escape velocity. If you just want to worship forum vips and can't handle people who don't bow down and instead ask follow up questions this thread is not worth much.

Seriously, the forum should stop wasting its breath on this guy.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Your “two year plan” is an absolute procrastination and I think you should admit it for your own good.
Sometimes hearing something isn’t enough. Experience will teach him better than any word you or I put down here.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Alternative explanation: confirmation bias.

You love yourself. You love the way you look and feel from bodybuilding. Then you look to confirm that’s a viable path for you. While torturing poor wife with desperately mediocre life. This place here is meant to snap you out of this. But you aren’t ready. You may never be ready.

Roll on. Hopefully someday he gets there. There’s only so much time you can spend on things like this without getting lost in online discussion. Hopefully someday he can leverage everything he’s learning into personal success.

That picture I posted of the guy that was painting? He was driving a bad a$$ F350.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You sir, I'd like to get to know you in real life! I tip my hat off to you.
You know how some people would never say to your face what they were saying online? Yeah that’s not me lol. But I really do want the best for everybody here.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Nobody cares about your hardships. You're the one in this trench and also the only one who can get yourself out.
Its ironic you're giving this as advice.

Awakened2022

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Jan 14, 2023
Thanks @Andy Black for this.

I read the thread you linked. Beautiful tips on math exams. I will share it with available students.

I learned from the video how to prompt continuity by finishing with an equal sign. Yesterday I was writing a rap for a student and putting a word at the beginning of the next line helped to keep the writing going till the end.

Therefore, the tips in the video you share are spot on.

Starting simple.
I love this. This makes me think whether I am complicating matters and whether I can simplify them more. I am simplifying things for the people I want to help or otherwise.

I will answer with these words.

While teaching grammar chunks to ordinary level students , I have learned that explanations are capable of confusing learners. Lengthy explanations of grammar concepts end up confusing these ordinary level learners instead enlightening them.

Examples of how a grammar concept appears in sentences of many different characteristics works astronomically better than detailed explanations of grammar concepts.

I learned this while teaching the concept of inversions to final year students some weeks ago. They had learned this more than once earlier from another teacher but hadn't got it. I taught minimal to no explanations of the concept but numerous examples. Many of the learners were either getting everything correct almost all things right in the test I gave a week later.

The material I have started to make is obedient to this principle of simplicity and brevity while handling language concepts and the principle of comprehension first. There is a rule that if one can learn to communicate in all four ways, and one can expose oneself to the language in use multiple times on a frequent regularity, one will master the language of interest.

My material should have multiple examples as opposed to detailed explanations. Besides, detailed explanations need to follow a mastery of the phenomena in practice. That way the grammatical concept is easier to grasp.

My material also intends to include passages and poems and activities to enhance comprehension.

But I will double down to what helps another but is simpler to make.

~Isaac~

Thanks @Andy Black for this.

I read the thread you linked. Beautiful tips on math exams. I will share it with available students.

I learned from the video how to prompt continuity by finishing with an equal sign. Yesterday I was writing a rap for a student and putting a word at the beginning of the next line helped to keep the writing going till the end.

Therefore, the tips in the video you share are spot on.

Starting simple.
I love this. This makes me think whether I am complicating matters and whether I can simplify them more. I am simplifying things for the people I want to help or otherwise.

I will answer with these words.

While teaching grammar chunks to ordinary level students , I have learned that explanations are capable of confusing learners. Lengthy explanations of grammar concepts end up confusing these ordinary level learners instead enlightening them.

Examples of how a grammar concept appears in sentences of many different characteristics works astronomically better than detailed explanations of grammar concepts.

I learned this while teaching the concept of inversions to final year students some weeks ago. They had learned this more than once earlier from another teacher but hadn't got it. I taught minimal to no explanations of the concept but numerous examples. Many of the learners were either getting everything correct almost all things right in the test I gave a week later.

The material I have started to make is obedient to this principle of simplicity and brevity while handling language concepts and the principle of comprehension first. There is a rule that if one can learn to communicate in all four ways, and one can expose oneself to the language in use multiple times on a frequent regularity, one will master the language of interest.

My material should have multiple examples as opposed to detailed explanations. Besides, detailed explanations need to follow a mastery of the phenomena in practice. That way the grammatical concept is easier to grasp.

My material also intends to include passages and poems and activities to enhance comprehension.

But I will double down to what helps another but is simpler to make.

~Isaac~
I have been meaning to get to this thread, but my new business venture, coupled with teaching keeps me engaged most of the time.

I will however get straight to the point.I am a teacher of English and Literature in Uganda, so @Isaac Odongo, this is your market talking.

If I had to make a sale this week, I would drop your idea of a textbook or whatever you are planning to churn out.

Why?

At my school, the library is full of " a simplified this, a concise that, the sure guide to..."you get my point. The students and teachers rarely use them.

What is in demand then?

With the new lower secondary curriculum, teachers are having a hard time coming up with activities of integration and ideas for projects. Even when we have the ideas, getting the guiding pictures is not easy.

Since you are computer literate, why not study the different topics and provide alternative activities of integration?You don't have to limit yourself to English and Literature. You could eventually look into other subjects like CRE and History.

Become the expert in this new curriculum thing and you will sell like a hot cake.

As a head of the department of Languages, I would recommend the purchase of books that ease teachers' pain about the new curriculum.

That is my two CENTS.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Alright this thread is pissing me off. As a recovering dabbler, the only thing I've become good at is getting the "first sale" so I think I can chime in here.

If someone isn't doing something they should be doing, it's because (1) they don't know what to do, (2) they don't know how to do it, or (3) they don't want to do it.

To quote Laurel Portie, if you aren't getting sales it's because you aren't having enough conversations. Therefore, if you want to make your first sale, you need to reach people and talk to them.

OK, now you know what to do, But how?

Lots of people have already chimed in. Long tail Google ad, that's pretty simple. Facebook ad. Social media post. Cold email. Cold call. Loads of ways to do it. Give them a way to contact you & tell them in no uncertain terms how to do it.

They've also talked about the message. Reflect the problem back at the prospect, problem-agitate-solve, etc. OK cool, you know how to do it.

So find your channel, find your message. Shouldn't take that long to have something that can be tested. Now you know how.

NO EXCUSES ANYMORE, RIGHT?

But that's not what most people here are on about. Most of the posts are about why they don't want to do a particular thing, and (correct) replies about how these are limiting beliefs.

My take: people are afraid to get the feedback they need to hear because it makes them feel bad.

Rejection sucks. Getting something you worked hard on rejected sucks even more. But a simple reframe might help this:

Sales is a disqualification process. You take a market, strip away people who don't need to solve the problem, who can't say yes, who don't buy into your USP, who don't have the money, and whose general plans don't include solving that problem... and you're left with the people that you need to talk to right now.

You might not know enough about your market to figure this out straight away but trust me, if you talk to enough people, you will know enough. You just gotta be willing to hear every objection in the book. But before long, you will have heard every objection and you'll be able to overcome it.

You'll learn more spending your first $1000 on Google ads (Whether you spend it in a month or in a year), your first 1000 cold calls or emails, etc... than you will sitting, thinking, and jotting shit down in a Google doc hoping to find the right answer.

(BTW if you hate cold calling, don't cold call. It's so simple. Cold email is way less intrusive, way easier, and scaling is just a matter of getting a bigger list)

It took me something like 9 months of being on TFLF before I sold one of anything, and that was because I was wasting time on stuff that didn't matter in order to avoid doing the stuff that did. Don't do that.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I have an internal locus. I'm familiar with Jocko and his book Extreme Ownership. I am fully responsible for entrapping myself in this job as I deliberately choose to not be sidetracked from my ambition. I'm not sure how you got the impression that I thought someone else was at fault for being where I'm at.

Completely wrong. I choose to work this job. For 2 years.

I'm open to something better, but again, not at the expense of my "hobby" being eradicated from my life.

Alternative explanation: confirmation bias.

You love yourself. You love the way you look and feel from bodybuilding. Then you look to confirm that’s a viable path for you. While torturing poor wife with desperately mediocre life. This place here is meant to snap you out of this. But you aren’t ready. You may never be ready.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.