The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finding your focus

Anything related to matters of the mind

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Another great article by James Clear here.

To focus we need to eliminate.

But eliminate what?

In the past 12 months, doing MORE things helped me find out what NOT to do.

Each "failure" provided feedback on what NOT to do.

Failure shows me the way by showing me what's NOT the way.

I've heard we should focus before we diversify.

I've also heard that to become successful we have to learn to say "Yes", and to stay successful we have to learn to say "No".

For those who haven't yet found what to focus on, maybe diversify first, and THEN eliminate and focus?

Personally, I've found the animation in this Dan Sullivan video very helpful in visualising this process.

Eliminate through the "Not this, not this, not this" steps.

Then what remains is "THIS".

"THIS" is what you then focus on.

It seems like a navel gazing exercise - think about all the things you've done, and eliminate what is not your purpose/why/focus, and eventually you will be left with your focus.

However, the key is to "think of all the things you've done".

If you haven't done anything, then you have no feedback, you have nothing to think about.

So just take action first, even if it's in the wrong direction.

You don't know it's the wrong direction until you're moving.

"Failures" are just feedback.

"Failures" will show you the way by showing you what's NOT the way.

What's your thoughts?

Andy

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
In my mind, this moment of decision is one of the central tensions of entrepreneurship. Do we continue trying new things or do we double down on one strategy? Do we try to innovate or do we commit to doing one thing well?
Love the way he describes this part of the process.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
During my Year of Many Errors I received a good piece of advice: “Try things until something comes easily.” I took the advice to heart and tried four or five different business ideas over the next 18 months. I’d give each one a shot for two or three months, mix in a little bit of freelance work so I could continue scraping by and paying the bills, and repeat the process.

Eventually, I found “something that came easily” and I was able to focus on building one business rather than trying to find an idea. In other words, I was able to simplify.

This was the first thing I discovered about figuring out the right things to focus on. If you want to master and deeply understand the core fundamentals of a task you may, paradoxically, need to start by casting a very wide net. By trying many different things you can get a sense of what comes more easily to you and set yourself up for success. It is much easier to focus on something that’s working than struggle along with a bad idea.

At some point, you don’t need more information, you just need to make a choice.

Andy- +rep for this. Should be 100 people reading this.

Your advice is like fine whiskey - distilled perfectly and delivered correctly. I am going to share this approach with my kids.

Unfortunately for me, my Year of Many Errors has extended to a 7 Year episode... but i am not giving up

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Gosh. This thread is over a year old.

I'm happy to report I'm continuing to get *more* focused on my business model, and funnily enough that might mean *diversifying* away from just AdWords.

My big takeaway is that this increased focus has happened by *continually* charging off, doing new things, stopping to take a breather and mull it over, talking to people about learnings, seeing patterns, eliminating, focusing and then charging off again.

For me, having a weekly cycle has really helped.

Each week is a fresh new page, where I analyse what happened last week, decide what needles to move this week, then determine "The Single Most Important ONE Thing" I need to do to move each of those needles.

Every week I create a W/C thread for each client, and a W/C thread for each person I work with. All work and chatter goes into that thread and we move to a new thread the next week.

What's very very apparent from this weekly process of planning, executing, and documenting - is how RELENTLESS this process is.

Each week is a fresh start, and each week we pick ourselves up and attack the week anew.

By having this weekly rhythm of "Measure > Report > Analyse > Act" we're able to move forward, keep focused, yet still be flexible and change direction quickly.

Anyway, hope that helps. I chatted about this in a call recently and I'll drop it in somewhere.

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
For me, having a weekly cycle has really helped.
For the ones struggling with the process of getting to their "this":

Think about changing your focus from goals to systems.

Build strong systems that help you reach your goals.

James Clear writes about it here.

Rhino8541

Short Term Sacrifice For a Long Term Benefit.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 9, 2015
Washington
Shout out to @Andy Black. We had a short conversation which led me to this thread, and I wanted to share on here what really stuck out to me.

So just take action first, even if it's in the wrong direction.

You don't know it's the wrong direction until you're moving.

"Failures" are just feedback.

"Failures" will show you the way by showing you what's NOT the way.

Just a little nudge that is helping me, and I'm sure others as well, continue moving forward.

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
Thanks for posting this @Andy Black.

I realized this is more relevant for me than ever before.

My key take-aways:
  • Don't navelgaze, fail your way to success, or, to finding your focus.
  • Diversify before you focus.
  • Collect some data and based on your analysis, create a hypothesis and execute.
  • Once you found your focus, double down and maximize your efforts by x10.
My initial reaction was: "I need to collect data first."

My second thought was: "Wait a second, I have been doing this for 14 months. I have served 40-50 clients."

I think I have enough data to be analysing already.

I'll go do my homework now.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for posting this @Andy Black.

I realized this is more relevant for me than ever before.

My key take-aways:
  • Don't navelgaze, fail your way to success, or, to finding your focus.
  • Diversify before you focus.
  • Collect some data and based on your analysis, create a hypothesis and execute.
  • Once you found your focus, double down and maximize your efforts by x10.
My initial reaction was: "I need to collect data first."

My second thought was: "Wait a second, I have been doing this for 14 months. I have served 40-50 clients."

I think I have enough data to be analysing already.

I'll go do my homework now.
The Dan Sullivan video linked to in the OP might help.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Since this got bumped to the top of the forum, Im gonna drop my advice on the subject.

Not saying mine is better or to follow it, but I like "layers" and having multiple layers is what has helped me be successful.

Hope Andy doesn't mind, just posting as an additional layer for helping find focus. Don't let the thread title fool you though.

Not Fulfilled? Depressed? Maybe You Need An Alignment

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
The Dan Sullivan video linked to in the OP might help.

Thanks Andy - watched it now 3 times in a row.

It did help.

Since this got bumped to the top of the forum, Im gonna drop my advice on the subject.

Not saying mine is better or to follow it, but I like "layers" and having multiple layers is what has helped me be successful.

Hope Andy doesn't mind, just posting as an additional layer for helping find focus. Don't let the thread title fool you though.

Not Fulfilled? Depressed? Maybe You Need An Alignment

Thanks @eliquid!

ButGregSaid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Aug 9, 2017
Michigan
Andy, I saw your comment in @Raoul Duke's post on 'helping others' and decided to follow the cookie crumb trail here - I'm genuinely curious about your approach on this subject because it's very possible I'm going about this all wrong.

I'm not quite to that point yet in my progress thread where I've gotten to talking about the current pressure on my time - but the short version is, I've spent pretty much the majority of my twenties networking, networking, and more networking.

Through that networking, I built my entire reputation on my experience in college which evolved during my role in my company. People know me because of who I work for and the roles I've had in college.

And because of that reputation, I'm the kind of guy people like to 'pull in' to boards, committees and task groups. I have a genuine desire to help people do better and improve processes. That's why I serve on a lot of boards and committees and stuff. The majority of these are nonprofit organization board roles, city committees, etc etc.

That being said, I have so many involvements - and they all place a huge demand on my time. But the networking potential is incredible.

Recently, one of the committees I serve on enjoyed my input so much they asked me to take on a leadership role. I declined. But it seems things come to me so easy in this part of my life. The more I read, the more I wonder if they are the wrong kind of involvements? Should I be looking at things from more of a 'how can I turn this into a business'?

Should my mindset be geared more towards 'pitching' them these new suggestions and offering them my support? If I am supposed to take a business minded approach to this, I have the challenge of tearing down my existing identity and rebuilding a brand new one right under my company's nose.

I know it is largely the recommendation that I go all out in whatever business I apply myself towards.. which means quitting my 8-5 job. I'm just in a position right now where I need to prove to myself that I'm capable of addressing needs that'd help me stand on my own two feet.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy, I saw your comment in @Raoul Duke's post on 'helping others' and decided to follow the cookie crumb trail here - I'm genuinely curious about your approach on this subject because it's very possible I'm going about this all wrong.

I'm not quite to that point yet in my progress thread where I've gotten to talking about the current pressure on my time - but the short version is, I've spent pretty much the majority of my twenties networking, networking, and more networking.

Through that networking, I built my entire reputation on my experience in college which evolved during my role in my company. People know me because of who I work for and the roles I've had in college.

And because of that reputation, I'm the kind of guy people like to 'pull in' to boards, committees and task groups. I have a genuine desire to help people do better and improve processes. That's why I serve on a lot of boards and committees and stuff. The majority of these are nonprofit organization board roles, city committees, etc etc.

That being said, I have so many involvements - and they all place a huge demand on my time. But the networking potential is incredible.

Recently, one of the committees I serve on enjoyed my input so much they asked me to take on a leadership role. I declined. But it seems things come to me so easy in this part of my life. The more I read, the more I wonder if they are the wrong kind of involvements? Should I be looking at things from more of a 'how can I turn this into a business'?

Should my mindset be geared more towards 'pitching' them these new suggestions and offering them my support? If I am supposed to take a business minded approach to this, I have the challenge of tearing down my existing identity and rebuilding a brand new one right under my company's nose.

I know it is largely the recommendation that I go all out in whatever business I apply myself towards.. which means quitting my 8-5 job. I'm just in a position right now where I need to prove to myself that I'm capable of addressing needs that'd help me stand on my own two feet.
My view is that a business is a vehicle we can use to help people and make a change in the world.

I love helping people, with the constraint that my time is precious and my family is my priority.

Not sure I answered your question?

ButGregSaid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Aug 9, 2017
Michigan
My view is that a business is a vehicle we can use to help people and make a change in the world.

I love helping people, with the constraint that my time is precious and my family is my priority.

Not sure I answered your question?

The response makes sense - I guess my issue is that I spend too much time 'volunteering' my time and not enough 'investing' my time.

I think my question was more along the lines of how does one methodically pivot from one role to another. I wish it was easier to make the shift seeing as I've built up a reputation as being somewhat of an up and coming corporate guy with potential. I just keep using that to expand my network. I'm not sure how to break out of the shell I'm already in and use that to my advantage. Feels like if I make waves in a new direction, people would ask questions.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The response makes sense - I guess my issue is that I spend too much time 'volunteering' my time and not enough 'investing' my time.

I think my question was more along the lines of how does one methodically pivot from one role to another. I wish it was easier to make the shift seeing as I've built up a reputation as being somewhat of an up and coming corporate guy with potential. I just keep using that to expand my network. I'm not sure how to break out of the shell I'm already in and use that to my advantage. Feels like if I make waves in a new direction, people would ask questions.
Worry less what other people think?

What direction do *you* want your life to take?

Having a business means you get to choose who you help, what you help them with, and how you do it. (So long as you get paid of course.)

In this way, the better a businessman you are, the more people you can help and the greater an impact you can have.

I highly recommend you listen to “Anything You Want” by Derek Sivers

ButGregSaid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Aug 9, 2017
Michigan
Worry less what other people think?

What direction do *you* want your life to take?

Having a business means you get to choose who you help, what you help them with, and how you do it. (So long as you get paid of course.)

In this way, the better a businessman you are, the more people you can help and the greater an impact you can have.

I highly recommend you listen to “Anything You Want” by Derek Sivers

Thanks for the tip Andy, going to check out the recommendation now.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
Great thread @Andy Black, it’s come just at the right time. I’ve spent a couple months working on an idea but I think I way overestimated the need for it and it’s left me feeling depleted when I work on it.
How do you know when to drop an idea and focus on the next?
Do you go with a feeling or rational thought?
I have a better and more suited idea for my interests but I’m a bit worried that it will happen again to this one a few months later.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Great thread @Andy Black, it’s come just at the right time. I’ve spent a couple months working on an idea but I think I way overestimated the need for it and it’s left me feeling depleted when I work on it.
How do you know when to drop an idea and focus on the next?
Do you go with a feeling or rational thought?
I have a better and more suited idea for my interests but I’m a bit worried that it will happen again to this one a few months later.
I like a quote I read by Arianna Huffington (I’ve no idea who she is, I just remembered the name):

“You can finish a project by dropping it.”

(Paraphrased from memory.)

I trust my gut a lot. If I’m procrastinating on something then I usually find my gut doesn’t want the result. Sometimes I grind it out, but generally find my gut was right. Now-a-days I’d rather acknowledge that something’s up and try to get to the bottom of it.

I’m happy dropping projects like a hot snot. I’ll turn on a dime and change my mind.

Follow @Fox and @SinisterLex for a while and you’ll see them twisting and turning and changing their minds as they keep moving forward.

The trick is that they keep moving forward. They unapologetically drop things that aren’t working for them.

It’s like how people read a book. Do you insist on finishing it? Like you’ll get a medal for finishing every book you start?

Or do you drop a book when you’re no longer getting value from it?

Would you even drop a book you *are* getting value from because you read something in the preface and it’s given you an idea to go implement (this happened with one of the books I finally finished recently).

You mentioned you were two months in before you established there wasn’t a big enough need.

I think that’s an issue. Why did it take two months to find out? What will you do differently going forward?

I do as little as possible before engaging the market, which I do as soon as I can.

I don’t want to get caught “building stuff” instead of “helping people”.

I constantly ask myself “Do I *really* need to do this? Is it possible to move forward without this?”

Get market feedback as soon as you can. If you can’t get feedback this week then consider product-founder fit ... maybe that idea isn’t right for you at this moment in time. Pick something you *can* get market feedback from this week?

Not sure I answered your questions in this brain dump. Hope it helps though.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
I like a quote I read by Adriana Huffington (I’ve no idea who she is, I just remembered the name):

“Sometimes the quickest way to finish a project is to drop it.”

(Paraphrased from memory.)

I trust my gut a lot. If I’m procrastinating on something then I usually find my gut doesn’t want the result. Sometimes I grind it out, but generally find my gut was right. Now-a-days I’d rather acknowledge that something’s up and try to get to the bottom of it.

I’m happy dropping projects like a hot snot. I’ll turn on a dime and change my mind.

Follow @Fox and @SinisterLex for a while and you’ll see them twisting and turning and changing their minds as they keep moving forward.

The trick is that they keep moving forward. They unapologetically drop things that aren’t working for them.

It’s like how people read a book. Do you insist on finishing it? Like you’ll get a medal for finishing every book you start?

Or do you drop a book when you’re no longer getting value from it?

Would you even drop a book you *are* getting value from because you read something in the preface and it’s given you an idea to go implement (this happened with one of the books I finally finished recently).

You mentioned you were two months in before you established there wasn’t a big enough need.

I think that’s an issue. Why did it take two months to find out? What will you do differently going forward?

I do as little as possible before engaging the market, which I do as soon as I can.

I don’t want to get caught “building stuff” instead of “helping people”.

I constantly ask myself “Do I *really* need to do this? Is it possible to move forward without this?”

Get market feedback as soon as you can. If you can’t get feedback this week then consider product-founder fit ... maybe that idea isn’t right for you at this moment in time. Pick something you *can* get market feedback from this week?

Not sure I answered your questions in this brain dump. Hope it helps though.

Thank you.

I guess I have a slight problem with dropping things, in a way it feels like you are giving up or quitting and it takes a toll on my self worth when I quit.

But reading your reply and the more I look into it, I realize that successful people very rarely get it right first time and they just adjust or pivot. But as you mentioned, they keep moving forward.

Well, I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't do hardly any testing, I explained the idea to a handful of people and once I received some positive feedback, I starting building it.
This was a mistake and I'm fortunate that it only cost me a couple hundred pounds and a couple of months, it could have been a lot worse.

I've also been guilty of trying to find that " New and untouched idea" in the past, instead of making something better that has already been proven by the market.

This new idea has a couple of competitors doing something similar(but not exactly the same) and research seems to indicate they get a good amount of traffic/sales.

Is there a set method you use to test a new idea every time or does it vary?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

NextFastLaner_Bo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 2, 2020
I'd love to hear some advice from you folks, I have been struggling to make this decision, the decision on where to focus.
I know my WHY and I know How but I don't know Where to focus and When.

So here is short version of my dilemma:

Should I continue learning the AI (machine learning) so I can create an AI powered systems, software, robots, etc. the idea which gives me goosebumps... OR Should I focus on creating businesses now which takes less time to learn, implement.

By reading success stories on this forum, I really want to focus on getting my hands dirty and start working on businesses right now but the idea of creating the next big AI company is so tempting that I feel like I need to not worry about getting on Fastlane the next 5-7 years.

So here is my background:
I am 32, earned an MBA, worked for an MNC as a international/domestic freight, logistics manager for 4 years so I know how to ship around the globe. Then switched my career and now working as a Business Intelligence Analyst making close to 100k. So I am okay financially, probably can "retire" in the next 10-15 years if I live as a minimalist but I don't like the "compound interest retirement plan".

So it's been a year or so I have been addicted to this AI, automation, robotics and been dedicating my time learning more about it.

So here is the question:
Should I ditch the idea of learning the AI stuff (math, coding skills on a new programming language, etc. which will take about 1 year) and working for someone to learn how to combine the business and AI for 2-3 years. And instead start utilizing the skills I already have: shipping, freight, database coding?

Or should I ditch the idea of making starting a business now in order to chase the idea of creating AI based systems in next 5-7 years?

I appreciate your thoughts. Sorry if this post does not comply with the rules, I am new here.

Thank you!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'd love to hear some advice from you folks, I have been struggling to make this decision, the decision on where to focus.

Should I continue learning the AI (machine learning) so I can create an AI powered systems, software, robots, etc. the idea which gives me goosebumps... OR Should I focus on creating businesses now which takes less time to learn, implement.

By reading success stories on this forum, I really want to focus on getting my hands dirty and start working on businesses right now but the idea of creating the next big AI company is so tempting that I feel like I need to not worry about getting on Fastlane the next 5-7 years.

I am 32, earned an MBA, worked for an MNC as a international/domestic freight, logistics manager for 4 years so I know how to ship around the globe. Then switched my career and now working as a Business Intelligence Analyst making close to 100k. So I am okay financially, probably can "retire" in the next 10-15 years if I live as a minimalist but I don't like the "compound interest retirement plan".

So it's been a year or so I have been addicted to this AI, automation, robotics and been dedicating my time learning more about it.

So here is the question:
Should I ditch the idea of learning the AI stuff (math, coding skills on a new programming language, etc. which will take about 1 year) and working for someone to learn how to combine the business and AI for 2-3 years. And instead start utilizing the skills I already have: shipping, freight, database coding?

Or should I ditch the idea of making starting a business now in order to chase the idea of creating AI based systems in next 5-7 years?

I appreciate your thoughts. Sorry if this post does not comply with the rules, I am new here.

Thank you!
Lots of ways to do this of course, so take anyone’s advice with a pinch of salt.

Me personally, I’d try to add value with skills I already have, and figure out how to get paid for it. Learning for learning’s sake doesn’t interest me. I try to learn enough to be able to help someone, and then I figure out how to get paid for it.

About 10 years ago I was an Oracle Database Administrator. I wanted to get into Expert Systems, Knowledge Management, Business Intelligence, and Data Analytics. I sent myself on an MSc in Computing for Knowledge Management to “learn” this stuff. In the second semester I was learning how to write a dissertation. This wasn’t going to help anyone, so I pulled the chord and bailed.

Meanwhile, I had discovered Google Ads. Now all of a sudden I could apply the IT skills I already had and help small businesses make sense of keyword data before they launch, and campaign data after they launch - so they could generate more leads.

Even better, those businesses paid me to do this for them, instead of me paying for more courses.

I’m still interested in Expert Systems and Knowledge Management, and have encapsulated some of my Google Ads knowledge into a course. That course has sold a bunch of times and brought in revenue. I’m going to go deeper into this as online learning is a massive industry.

So I’m learning, helping people to do so, and getting paid for it - even when I may not be an expert at the start.

Hope that helps. Let me know what your takeaways are.

These might help:

NextFastLaner_Bo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 2, 2020
Lots of ways to do this of course, so take anyone’s advice with a pinch of salt.

Me personally, I’d try to add value with skills I already have, and figure out how to get paid for it. Learning for learning’s sake doesn’t interest me. I try to learn enough to be able to help someone, and then I figure out how to get paid for it.

About 10 years ago I was an Oracle Database Administrator. I wanted to get into Expert Systems, Knowledge Management, Business Intelligence, and Data Analytics. I sent myself on an MSc in Computing for Knowledge Management to “learn” this stuff. In the second semester I was learning how to write a dissertation. This wasn’t going to help anyone, so I pulled the chord and bailed.

Meanwhile, I had discovered Google Ads. Now all of a sudden I could apply the IT skills I already had and help small businesses make sense of keyword data before they launch, and campaign data after they launch - so they could generate more leads.

Even better, those businesses paid me to do this for them, instead of me paying for more courses.

I’m still interested in Expert Systems and Knowledge Management, and have encapsulated some of my Google Ads knowledge into a course. That course has sold a bunch of times and brought in revenue. I’m going to go deeper into this as online learning is a massive industry.

So I’m learning, helping people to do so, and getting paid for it - even when I may not be an expert at the start.

Hope that helps. Let me know what your takeaways are.

These might help:
Thank you Andy! Really appreciate it.

The biggest takeaway is that "first learn how to help" is somehow new to me. I have not looked at this from this dimension rather what I can offer for an immediate reward.

I think I will focus on that side first. Actually I had an idea of training some of buddies on SQL, ETL, etc. for free and once I feel comfortable teaching, start a training course for others. What you advised aligns perfectly with that idea.

I have this burning thought every time I come up with a good business idea:
With the intent of getting on FastLane (through relatively smaller business ideas - training, helping small businesses, etc.) am I not going to slow down my path to Airway (much faster than the fastlane)?

Thanks again, I will have to rethink about this again. Your advice will definitely help me!

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018

So here is the question:

Thank you!
The problem I found with AI is that is HUGE. Learning how to make mobile apps and start shipping them? Doable within months, or a few years. AI? Probably what you say: study a lot, then find a job, then figure out how you can use your skills to help people. Quite a long process. I considered going fully into AI, then discarded it due to the huge amount of time it'd require. I don't have that much time before I can start focusing on entrepreneurship itself.

Also, that "I could retire in 10-15 years" sounds very familiar, as it's easy to fall into that when you make 6 figures and save tons of money. But it's still "become rich slowly", a.k.a. slowlane mindset.

NextFastLaner_Bo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 2, 2020
The problem I found with AI is that is HUGE. Learning how to make mobile apps and start shipping them? Doable within months, or a few years. AI? Probably what you say: study a lot, then find a job, then figure out how you can use your skills to help people. Quite a long process. I considered going fully into AI, then discarded it due to the huge amount of time it'd require. I don't have that much time before I can start focusing on entrepreneurship itself.

Also, that "I could retire in 10-15 years" sounds very familiar, as it's easy to fall into that when you make 6 figures and save tons of money. But it's still "become rich slowly", a.k.a. slowlane mindset.

Thank you for the reply!
It is true that it takes a long time to learn and be able to implement AI. My thought process was that I might miss out on this AI revolution and if I learn the machine learning now when it is still in an infant phase I could build multimillion $$ systems.
However, now after thinking about this over the weekend and reading @Andy Black and your comments, I think it's better to actually use what I already know and start creating a value and monetize it. I realized that I've been postponing the doing part but rather just learning stuff to only work for someone else.

Thank you @srodrigo and @Andy Black again!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

NextFastLaner_Bo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 2, 2020
"Empirically, the way to do really big things seems to be to start with deceptively small things."

Exactly. Thanks for helping me come to this realization! I think I was being a perfectionist wanting to wait till "I am ready" and "do big things instead of small's".

Now I need to find where I can find my niche. I will read the link now)

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Thank you for the reply!
It is true that it takes a long time to learn and be able to implement AI. My thought process was that I might miss out on this AI revolution and if I learn the machine learning now when it is still in an infant phase I could build multimillion $$ systems.
However, now after thinking about this over the weekend and reading @Andy Black and your comments, I think it's better to actually use what I already know and start creating a value and monetize it. I realized that I've been postponing the doing part but rather just learning stuff to only work for someone else.

Thank you @srodrigo and @Andy Black again!
Glad that you found it useful.

Just to clarify, as I sounded like putting you off a bit too much: I think it's possible to apply AI/ML to some products or businesses with basic knowledge. But really complex stuff can be daunting compared to other technologies, and it's easy to get sucked into the "I need to know more" because it's a difficult field compared to others.

Andy's advice about finding people to help and build on that is just right, follow it.

NextFastLaner_Bo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 2, 2020
Glad that you found it useful.

Just to clarify, as I sounded like putting you off a bit too much: I think it's possible to apply AI/ML to some products or businesses with basic knowledge. But really complex stuff can be daunting compared to other technologies, and it's easy to get sucked into the "I need to know more" because it's a difficult field compared to others.

Andy's advice about finding people to help and build on that is just right, follow it.

No, I think I understood the point. ML learning will still be there but I think I will try to focus on the "know enough to know use/apply it" and learn more (if needed) to scale the application and so on instead of learning everything about ML and focus on the "destination" to start using it, which is what Andy's point was when he said "Don't learn for the learning's sake".

Now the issue is to figure out how to create value from what I have (Database developer skills, shipping, dropshipping skills, finance). Problem is that I am not the best at any of these and I don't have an entrepreneurial mindset. So not sure where to start and how to create the system.

Good news is that this forum has so many info and cool people ready to help others. I will start learning from other people's success stories.

Thanks again to both of you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.