The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dead-End Sh*t Jobs ... Yours?

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
1) currently sears roebock (merchandising, cashier)
2) warehouse packaging and processing
3) maintenance (including mopping floors and stocking shelves) at gas station
4) inventory auditor (RGIS) - lasted one month

I'm currently working a "shit" job and it is only providing all the more fire to get me moving in starting my business. Every time I step foot in my job, I feel the motivation increasing even more due to my extreme discontent with my current situation. From where I stand right now, the light at the end of the tunnel is a tiny dot but visible nonetheless.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
1) Fast food. Most of the major chains.
2) Slow food. Washing dishes, and cleaning counters.
3) Factory Work. Ive upholstered, and wired mobile homes. Ultimately, they are all the same.
4) Construction. Tieing rebar, and hanging iron.
5) Airframe Mechanic. This is the one I thought was different. I started out with no experience, just a little electrical background from the Army. Moved up to lead, then trainer, then supervisor. And somewhere along the line it hit me: they are all the same. As long as you work for someone else, eventually you will either hate it, or you have to become complacent.

All of these experiences have helped me in some way. Either they contributed to my knowledge base, or they showed me why I wanted something better. I think everyone should have a shit job, at least once. I dont agree with guys who allow their kids to take a high position in a company they own, without any real world experience in that position or field. I think that was the final straw for me. Seeing people move up a ladder with only one rung, while the people busting their a$$ got knocked off the ladder to nowhere. Its time to switch ladders.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
1. Construction-Carpenter- Pretty much a gopher for my pops. Started in 6th grade ended when I was 18 or so.
2. Lumber salesmen at Lowe's- Nothing like moving 80 lb bags of concreate for some a**hole, and sucking up concrete dust in 90 degree weather. THe manager of the store was so anal we had to vaccuum the concrete bags at night to get all the dust off so it was clean. I shit you not.
2.1 Paint department at Lowers- Everyday telling the difference people between eggshell finish and satin. Then have them argue with me about it. Luggin 5 gallon buckets all day gets old.
3. Loss prevention at Boscov's. Kickin a$$ was fun, taking names wasn't all that great. It was a cool job till some kid punched me in the face and I opened up a can of whoop a$$ on him only to find out he was 3 months away from being 18. Had his mom literally black mail me until the case was dropped. I also got bit one time.

Johnathanfx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 12, 2012
%^$%$^

Ha! was working at a lawn service company about 2 years ago.........we had the highway/interstate cutting and cleanup contracts. When I first started I had to walk all day along the side of the highway with a trash bag in one hand and a yellow trash picker in the other all while wearing a reflective vest. Cleaned a good 6 miles a day by myself. Man I used to get so pissed......Ever wonder where all those truckers go to the bathroom? How people urinate in bottles while driving??

So picture this ...its November about 45 outside ....You just got done walking a mile dragging a full bag of trash, its misting rain,you have piss on your leg because the Pepsi can you thought was empty was not.....You walk up to your bosses truck...hes 1 year younger then you.....hes reading a book about to fall asleep....He looks you in the eye and says...the company is loosing money your going to slow we need to get more done. :cuss::cuss::cuss: F*ck that that place!

#1 Eletrical helper 1 yr- Liked this job was fun made good money being under 18 but sadly no new
construction in NC

#2 Hot tar roofer 1week- Yea F*ck that

#3 Cotten Mil 1week- Was in yarn service...up and down the same rows removing bobbins all day staring at the clock

#4 Kirby Vacuum sales 3days- Um $1800 dollars for a vacuum :rofl: the thing was like 75lbs and was trying to sell it to a lady in her 90s ....quit that day

#5 Valet parking 2.5 yrs- Kinda liked it was outside all day in the shade had all the smoothies i wanted was at a hospital so lots of nurses around:groove: just stood around and talked most the time.

#6 Crab fisherman NC Coast 1year- Well started out me moving to the beach to crab fish as a partner....... turned out being slave labor by the hour :nono: really sucked to leave really liked being out on the water

#7 Auto Technician Sears 7mos- Well have really done this all my life, have fixed peoples cars on the side for extra cash on and off, really easy. Just people are F*cking pissy when it comes to there cars and your always going to be that grease monkey that knows nothing in there eyes.

#8 That Lawn Service 1.5yrs- funny thing was the owners son is a congressman for NC but his college was payed for by Illegal immigrants his father employs.....

#9 CNC Laser 1yr- Where I'm at now not the worst place to work its just the people there have got to be some of the most ignorant people I have ever met......Seriously they think the water vapor trails
left behind a jet is poison the government is using in part of there whole ONE WORLD ORDER scheme
:wtf:

hispanic-mj

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 3, 2012
Castroville, Ca
i have the shitiest job

i have to stack boxes full of lettuce bags and stack them on a pallet a certain way and they come out really fast and i sweat like crazy.

the saddest part: 9.50/hr $14,000 year

thats why im desperately trying to find another way to earn income

nuwav

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Mar 4, 2011
London, UK
If your not growing as an individual, using your talents and skills. The job will be dead end and rubbish, whether you work as a cleaner or as a office worker.

Mr.Marnier

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 3, 2011
Currently I am doing housekeeping in a tourist hot spot hotel.

Man, someone already said it but **** me, I would KILL to be back in the "shitty" office jobs I've had before. Before this I thought my time in telemarketing was the modern day equivalent of being hung-drawn-and-quartered, thought selling mortgages in an air-conditioned room was akin to being burned for witchcraft!

I was wrong.

Cleaning a hotel room that's just played host to 8 slack-jawed, pizza eating, beer-swilling, rambunctious snowboarders for a week has to be one of the most degrading forms of work in the western world, I don't mind cleaning up my own shit but anonymous, foreign turds? - come on!

To add icing to this nasty cake of mine, I'm doing this alone in a country 4600 miles away from anyone I know and my co-workers don't speak much English.

My thoughts oscillate wildly during the day between those of "yea this is the grimy, back-breaking work on the path to success!" to "holy shit I have ****ed up here....fml."

The only plus is that I can wear headphones so I spend most of the day trying to assuage my pain with positive audiobooks from the likes of Earl Nightingale and Dale Carnegie etc...

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
No cushy jobs on my resume.

1.Brickwork laborer(possibly one of the most physically intense jobs out there, at least for the crew I worked for)
2.Brick mason
3.Waterproofing foundations and sealed crawlspace installation

Current job: Cleaning gutters. It sounds the shittiest, but in all honesty, it is the easiest job I've had. I've rapidly moved my way up through the company, now I drive around from job to job, climb rooftops, and tell my helper what needs to be done. With my base pay + commission, it will pay the bills until my business takes off. I don't mind that it's a "dirty job", so long as I can continue to progress in what is important to me.

FiveOone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 16, 2013
Australia
My worst job, and I've had some really shit ones, would have been walking around a building site where my 'friends' ( and i use the term loosely) dad had just built 10 new townhouses. I was tasked with breaking up chunks of spilled concrete with a 6'ft long crowbar. The townhouses were near completed at this point so the cement had had alot of time to set and become a real pain in the balls for anyone trying to move it. The bar was heavy as hell and I just smashed it into rock hard cement all day long until the cement became smaller manageable chunks that I could get it into a wheelbarrow and cleared away. After the first week my hands were shredded with blisters and my back painful and aching but I took that first pay cheque and got mortal that weekend as reward for my hard work, never thinking that it would just lead to more of the same.
Deadend sidewalking in full effect.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
1. Farm work - stacking hay in barns
2. Pizza Hut - dishwasher
3. GoodYear tire plant - summer job while in college (4 summers)
4. Grocery store, forget which one - 1 summer while in college, to stay close to girlfriend that year.
4. Canadian Tire - retail crap, after college to help pay bills (lasted about 4 months, quit to pursue 3d freelance work)
5. Simthetiq Inc - freelance 3d artist created military vehicles for simulations.
6. Art Bully Productions - freelance 3d game artist, multiple projects.
7. Bedlam Games - 3d character artist (1 year)
8. Ubisoft Toronto - 3d character artist (3 years - current)

Arif.T

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Dec 29, 2012
grocery store "cart boy"
office assistant for an actual crazy person (conspiracy theory mailing list shit)
dishwasher - salad cook - pizza cook (promoted through the ranks at a cheap italian place)
point of sale technician (not as respectable as it sounds, mostly a low paid delivery job with some button pushing)
dishwasher - prep cook (presently; calamari and lobster are as disgusting to clean as any toilet)

Swinny

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 28, 2013
Gold Coast, Australia
1. Paperboy - 6 a.m. start in Winter for $2 a week!!!
2. Navy - Cleaning slop and bilge tanks in a Submarine, scrubbing out for Captain's rounds, polishing the bronze cannons at the main gate
3. Cleaning trucks in an underground Gold mine
4. Mowing lawns in Winter
5. Delivering flyers at $2 per 1000 - I must have been mad

I am really thankful I don't have to do any of these things now and also very grateful there are other people who will!

TrendSettersInc

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 26, 2012
Southeast Michigan
1. Farm Help, Baling Hay In A 100 Degree Hay Loft For 9 Hours A Day
2. Newspaper Delivery
3. Taxi Driver, Actually Learned A Lot
4. Door To Door Donation Collector For Clean Water Of The Midwest
5. Factory Work
6. Factory Work
7. Factory Slavery (Lol Felt Like It)
And About 7 Others which some were very good to learn different social skills or on the job training.

CNP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 9, 2013
1. working on a farm
2. construction in a foreign country
3. working under grandfather with renters
4. worked in nursing home
5. odd jobs in a foreign country

SeanyHang

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
May 24, 2013
New Jersey
I've been a:
-Dishwasher
-Busboy (at 21.. more embarrassing than anything.. but it lead to a serving position and much better money)
-Janitor (still do this on occasion)

All of these were miserable.. BUT ya do what you got to do to get some cash.

I've since had better jobs and at the moment I'm unemployed trying to hustle a bit.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
642%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
I started working when i was 15 mowing lawns for my dads company.
When i was 18 i then got a job at mcdonalds for 3 months. I quit after scrubbing the entire playground for 2 weeks straight. I also hated the managers. I then got a contract job as a VFX artist at an indie game company in 2012 which i just left due to horrible team management and my pursuit of the fast lane. My last job was working at ups during christmas season delivering packages from 11am till 11pm-1am. Way harder than i thought it would be. Now since I'm stuck trying to find my roadmap to the fast lane, I'm thinking about getting another dead end job.

JackTackett

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
May 28, 2013
Cary, NC
I worked a lot of jobs both before college-I worked for 5 years before dragging my butt to college. The three crap jobs I've had we're bad, but I tried to learn from them.

1) grave yard grounds keeper. We used a machine to dig the graves, but we filled them in by hand. Which means after the mourners left I,as the smallest dude, would jump into the grave and pack down the soil. Gives a young person an interesting perspective - we all die with some pimply faced kid jumping up and down on our dead body.

2). In college I worked for a group of researchers who had a grant to estimate how much garbage coming into the landfill could be composted. For several weeks we were in the dump with like every third trump dumping its load of garbage in front of us and we then proceeded by hand to sort it into a compost heap and other piles. I can still remember the stink now twenty years later. One of the rules was if you didn't puke in the compost pile you had to pick it up and move it to the pile. We all puked into that pile.
So for 8 hous we sorted trash and then we went home. Without showers since there were no facilities at the dump. My first day I walked into my apartment and not three seconds later my roommates are yelling what's that smell. They proceed to pick me up and toss me outside. Where I had to strip to my shorts and then run into the bathroom for a shower. Yes, the stench was that bad.

3). A few years into my computer career I had worked my way into management on the fast track to prove the Peter Principle, and I wanted to get back into development and away from management. So I was offered a job and took it. The first Friday my boss calls me into a conference with hr and her boss - usually not a good sign, where I was pleasantly surprised to find an offer for my boss's job since she just resigned. Te short story is one employee was running amok in the our group - borderline emotional issues aka she was crazy as a loon. And my boss had enough. I quickly found out this was a quasi government and thus unionized group we could not just fire the individual. If I had taken the job I would have been the 5th manager in that group in 18 months. I passed much to their displeasure. So for the next six months I was tormented my the crazy lady and tormented by the upper brass since I would not take the position. I finally finished writing the 3rd edition of my Linux book which sold a large enoght number that I got to go to my boss and say bye. I used this knowledge in other positions to either contain bad employees I can't fire or to get them transferred to another department. I don't like using cliches but in this incident, a bad apple really did spoil the whole bunch.

I'm so much more happy to be running my own company now where if I mess up and hire the wrong person I can quickly fix the issue and NOT let others in the group suffer.

ricktx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 27, 2013
Texas, USA
Yea II had some pretty good shit jobs in my time. Let's see..

1) Mowing lawns in the freaking Texas summer
2) Dish washer night shift (Spires iHop like restaurant) Later 1970ies
3) Cook for a restaurant (Lums like a Chili's of today) early 1980ies
4) Restaurant Manager (talk about a job that sucks) long hours, low pay, and everyone is always whining
5) Target department store (Snack Bar) really sucked
6) Target automotive area (Changing tires and batteries in the freaking 100 heat of the summer and cold Winters)
7) Stock team manager (Later shift)

That list brings back some memories. Laugh

mimarsinan31

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 17, 2013
1. Bagger at grocery store
2. Cashier at grocery store
3. Night crew/stocker at 3 grocery stores (hours were horrid)
4. Management at grocery store
5. Meat department in grocery store
6. Telemarketer for 4 different companies (good money, easy job)
7. Installations for window covering company
8. Property manager (great job for obvious reasons, I think)
9. Assistant on a couple side businesses

Jesseo, did you guys have trash valet service in your apartment comunity?

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
First Job - Automotive: Worked for a oil change franchise. Fun little job, miniscule pay, to much drama between managers and their kids who worked with us.

Door to door sales - Probably the worst job ever. They wanted you to stick to a 15 year old script to sell to people. A kid got fire when the boss heard him not use the script. 5month

Retail - 4 years, not a bad way to learn B&M business. If you learn quick you can easily see the ridiculous mark-ups on certain items. Retail pay, what can I say.

skylizard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Sep 22, 2011
Retail - 4 years, not a bad way to learn B&M business. If you learn quick you can easily see the ridiculous mark-ups on certain items. Retail pay, what can I say.

Did retail too. Worked for a beachwear company that sold $7 tees for $30 and had a huge customer base. They weren't even great quality tees. But they had a unique design and were located in prime locations in beach towns.

Will B. Rich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jun 25, 2013
Upstate NY
1. Amusement Park Games Attendant - pretty fun for being 16, made me much more outgoing, and got some good selling experience
2. Roast Beef Sandwich Clerk - baseball and hockey games
3. Amusement Park Games Stock Manager -hauled giant stuffed animals around all day, actually pretty fun lol
4. College Apartment Complex Assistant -This could have been my “limo driver” job where I could have studied anything and bettered myself while “working” but I just chatted with my friends online instead....d'oh!
5. Amusement Park Games Department Manager -I thought I was cool but no...I was not
6. Retail Management Intern - great – everyone loved me!
7. Retail Manager – good pay but my whole team hated me for being a fresh out of college manager

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
I remember when I was 8-9 I used to 'hustle' selling scrap metal from anywhere I could find. Cars that have been parked too long, steel supports in old buildings, old cow milking equipment that the farmers wanted to get rid of, I was like a vulture.

Bad old days in the bad old country :D

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
1. Grass cutting (long hours and the risk of strimming sly cat turds hiding in the long grass, not fun)
2. Building Surveyor (Nice job but hated the office)
3. Pub crawl rep (The best job and the worst job in the world :D)

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
642%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
I now work with a guy who transports cars from the rail yard to dealerships. Gonna see if I can find any problems within this area of "business".

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Any job is dead end.... or not. It is all in your frame of mind. Jobs are jobs. Sometimes you need them. You take your life in the direction that you want to go.

Blaming jobs or anything else for being at a dead end is the real dead end.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.