• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

NOTABLE! Dead-End Sh*t Jobs ... Yours?

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by MJ DeMarco, Nov 29, 2007.

1. DanWasDrunk

DanWasDrunk Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $103
    Currently in one, so thank you haha! I work at a grocery store. I probably get asked three times a day by customers (used to be co-workers too, before they knew my story), "So... are you in school?"

Nope. I actually have a degree.

Before that:

- I worked as a cook for a year at a failing bar and grill, got paid under the table, below minimum wage, and I was technically too young to even be legally working. I didn't even know how to cook, either.
    - I did data entry in a cube for 3 months during the summer at a faceless company and hated life (it was basically a call center)
    - I was a barback for a whopping 3 days

The barback was probably the most depressing. Sleeping all day and staying up all night got me f--ked up really quick. No social life. The bar manager would bark at everybody, I missed being on the other side of the bar, and my co-workers were all bitter about life. Dealing with drunk people all night and having flashbacks of working in a kitchen before I went to college (and vowing to not come back) just got me down super fast.

That was a wake up call, though. I was pursuing acting professionally in LA and quickly realized that I didn't want to work dead-end jobs for 10 years while putting the rest of my life on hold just to get a few credits. It was better as a hobby.

I was also reading Millionaire Fastlane at the time, so that lit a fire under my ass ;)

Kingmaker and ruzara5 like this.
  2. DrunkFish

DrunkFish Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,308
    First job ever - Walgreens. Before i knew i was NOT a 9-5er. I remember thinking to myself at age 17, how come my first job, that is ABOVE minimum wage, feels like im doing sh*t and wasting time? Foreshadowing is strong here.

I might be missing one, but

Next i think was bank teller. Second lowest paying bank in the area. Boring as all hell.... worked with petty women who all had small children who had play dates and sh*t (not my thing what so ever.. they all hated me as i pulled up with my modified car talking about my business ventures at the time lol. lame) Had to wore a dress shirt and tie everyday even in the 100+ humid ass STL weather for $9 an hour.

Next was a cell phone repair shop. Was a lot better but not what i wanted to do forever. I never came back to that job after i got a spot on a TV show that filmed in Richmond,VA that opened my eyes to what was possible with my life.

Kingmaker, ruzara5 and amp0193 like this.
  3. cottonbuds

cottonbuds Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $103
    I have had a lot of dead end jobs lol.

1. Custodian at my Undergraduate school
    2. Teaching Assistant
    3. Lots of manufacturing temp jobs (got fired from one of them for being too slow at sticking labels lol. This was my second job and I was already in school and working another full time job. Could barely keep awake so I understand the firing lol)
    4. Retail store manager
    5. Call center employee
    6. Phone stock broker/customer service (this was the most dead end - I spent 6 brutal years here but they paid for my Masters degree and I left with a healthy bank account)
    7. Financial Analyst

4. p0stscript

p0stscript Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,230
    Finding myself, at the tender age of 53, made redundant (or sacked as most of us called it since no pay and little notice involved) I took a job drilling holes in metal rods, minimum wage zero hours contract, this dirty job was followed by a much cleaner one - washing dishes (had to wash them in a large sink ready to put in an industrial dishwasher to clean them!) again minimum wage, zero hours.

5. andrewsyc

andrewsyc Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $74
    1. Grocery boy, easy job and a little fun, I never knew a food market could have so much drama.
    2. Custodian at a movie theatre after it closed. (3 weeks, went to this after my grocery boy)
    3. Subway sandwich artisan, fancy title.
    4. Newspaper delivery when I was a teen early mornings.
    5. Welder (not a dead end job but many people who were stuck were in a really bad mood)
    6. McDonalds...

Joshua Wagoner likes this.
  6. Private Witt

Private Witt Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $388
    1. Caddy
    2. Pizza Delivery dude
    3. Route sales driver
    4. Teacher (sometimes not that crappy but sure felt like it)
    5. Pizza Delivery dude again
    6. Uber driver (I still do this to pay the bills and a few extra bucks for business, but getting really old and need to stop by the end of this year).

7. cheeky ram

cheeky ram New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $63
    1. Construction worker
    2. Warehouse with frozen fruit.
    3. Car registering agency.
    4. McDonald's (just 1,5 week because the owner was a dick)
    5. KFC
    6. Women's clothes shop
    7. Bookstore
    8. Another construction work
    9. Retail warehouse
    10. Warehouse driver
    11. Green house worker
    12. Supermarket worker (2 different places)
    13. Restaurant (2 different)
    14. Christmas trees seller
    15. Hotel Bar waiter
    and I think maybe some other.

Anyway I've had quite many jobs. In some of them I was just a month or two. In the other few days or half a year. I have never had a straight job. I got bored quite quick every time. I said to myself if I need to work for peanuts I can do this anywhere.

8. NaPal

NaPal Done > Perfect Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $607
    IT admin. Cushy but still sh*t.

I work 8 hours a day, make almost 6 figures, and can be on the fast lane forum all day if I choose. Did I mention I’m in front of a computer all day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. RobD88

RobD88 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,585
    1. Stock clerk at a local pre-Walmart version of Walmart
    2. Burger flipper at Wendy's (lasted two days)
    3. Cashier at a convenience store
    4. Grocery store clerk
    5. Asphalt driveway sealer (brutal job)
    6. New car salesman
    7. Bedroom furniture salesman
    8. Dock hand/truck loader
    9. Inventory manager (bored out of my mind because my boss was about to retire and wouldn't train me so I sat in my cubical playing solitaire and bubble breaker on my PDA...pre smart phones)
    10. Director of Purchasing for a company that didn't need a director level person in the position...just needed a babysitter.
    11. Oh....and husband to my ex-wife. Believe me, it was work!
    The only J.O.B. I've had that I was actually proud to do was a Combat Medic in the U.S. Army.

Kingmaker and Real Deal Denver like this.
  10. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,419
    This is going to sound really weird, but I assure you I'm being honest.

I always wanted to be a burger flipper. I love hamburgers. Love to hear them sizzling, love to smell them cooking, love to make them, love to eat them. And Wendy's is one of my favorite places I love to go - I always get a Dave's double.

So what's so bad about being a burger flipper? I could take the mindless work. Relaxing. As you might imagine, I am in charge of the grill in our house. You know guys that love to grill right? See - not so weird after all is it? I could grill steaks all day long.

I have to buy a Wendy's I guess! Never had a chance to ask anyone this, so I thought I'd throw it out there...

11. RobD88

RobD88 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,585
    For me...that was exactly the biggest part of it, mindless work. No challenge. Nothing stimulating about it at all. On top of that, I was young and trying to find myself and something meaningful, there was no real future in it, the pay was less than I felt I was worth, it was a dirty/greasy work environment, co-workers were dumb as a box of rocks & generally lazy, mostly I just wanted more. I've always wanted something more meaningful. I think that's one of the biggest reasons I want to be an entrepreneur and am on the fastlane journey.

I don't eat a lot of fast food but I will agree Wendy's is one of the better ones.

Real Deal Denver likes this.
  12. OldFaithful

OldFaithful Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,392
    I've never had a sh!t job...ever!

But I've had several sh!tty bosses.

13. Joshua Wagoner

Joshua Wagoner New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $57
    1. Pizza place (worked my way up from salads to subs and slices, then finally became a pizza maker. Oh first I had to tend the ovens, sliding my hand into the furnace to pop bubbles, and rotate them.
    2. Bell hop at hotel. I was 18 and realized that I wasn't special to anybody. Wandered the hotel, slept in the bell mans closet, (I had zero work ethic,) tips were sometimes good, was finally let go because I was literally so depressed every time I clocked in. People didn't like seeing me, even though I was trying my best.
    3. Honda service lane attendant (porter.) Parking cars, not much to it really, learned to drive stick shift and handle some cool cars. No Lambos though ;)
    4. TTY communication agent (basically a typist for the hearing impaireds telephone conversations.) Couldn't pick it up fast enough (ADD?)
    5. McDonalds: burger flipper, some cashier and drive thru. Did an okay job there (employee of the month, ooooh!) Eventually quit after 9 months.
    6. Host then waiter: Hosted for 1 year, waited tables for 3. Began to see the darker side of customer service. (just felt less than) Was making decent tips (enough to buy a car so Mom could stop driving me) Wasn't enough to live on my own, eventually moved back in with Mom. SMH
    7. Online freelancer- Better job as I could work from home. Trouble was finding reliable clients.
    8. Brand ambassador work: Best Buy Virtual Reality Headset demonstrator, "virtually" no freedom, LOL just follow the script. Not a fan!
    Some of these jobs had their fun spots, but come on there's no way I wanted to do this stuff long term. Slow lane at best.

amp0193 and Real Deal Denver like this.
  14. jmusic

jmusic Meep. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,084
    [​IMG]