The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cryptocurrency GPU mining

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Hey everyone. So I have had a few people ask me to do this, so here I go. This is not going to be really in depth at the moment as I feel like a chicken running around with its head cut off. My wife just took a part time job, I am watching the toddlers, and I am trying to set up another 10ish new GPU, and I am going through literally everything that I have in order to consolidate it into the most efficient formats on their respective motherboards and power supplies.

I will add some more basics in a few coming posts, or just edit this one to kind of document how I got started. Here it is short and sweet though:

I started mining on a single 1070 GPU back in roughly 2017/2018. I can not remember off the top of my head but I could probably find some old emails that detail this a bit better.

Almost immediately after that first GPU I started adding to it, and started hodgepodge slapping rigs together. The first coins I mined are lost forever lol, I forgot all my passwords to paper wallets, and can't remember the winzip passwords to something which may contain this data. I found some thumb drives with files that could be this, but I can't open them. If anyone knows how to brute force open winzip passwords let me know!!!!!!!!!

I used to live in an apartment, and literally had wires going to every outlet that was on a different fuse in the breaker box in order to run as many machines as I possibly could. I literally had to turn computers off in order to run the blender or the vacuum. My wife got pregnant and we had a little girl, and literally more than half of our apartment was taken up by computers with wires all over - it was time to move. At this time there was like 25ish graphics cards.

We moved into a house, and it did not take me long to tap all the 120v power here, and the existing breakers. My dad and I put in a couple 30a fuses on 240v which about doubled my capacity, which I thought would last me a long time. Well it is now full, and I am worried that this 100amp panel is just about completely tapped out. I am going to add maybe 1-2KW more of usage, but no more than that.

I came to the conclusion that the literal only way for me to continue this is to find some industrial space and rent it out (@GlobalWealth maybe help me out with some ideas?) or I need some land and some sea cans.

At the moment I have 60-70 graphics cards, I am doing about a 70/30 split between Ethereum and Raven at the moment. All my rigs are running on linux mining software, SMOS and HiveOS. Both have their plus and minus, but I like SMOS for ease of accessing crash logs when setting up new cards and stuff. HiveOS seems more advanced and works better on stable rigs.

View: https://imgur.com/lOtJ6NX

And here is a shot of a build that I am working on at the moment. This is a b450f Gaming ii motherboard that has 6 PCIE slots, and 2 m.2 that can run PCIE. So it should be able to handle 8 cards, but for the life of me I can not get it to accept the m.2 adapters, so that is something that I am working on figuring out at the moment.

View: https://imgur.com/eiO5ay1

Here is a beauty of a nighttime photo of some of the stuff I have going at the moment. This requires some massive cooling so I have a lot of fans and an exhaust out the window. In the winter I have the fans blowing the heat into the house, as well as windows open sucking in the cold air at all times. They GET HOT in this small house.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Thank you sir! One of these days soon I am going to try this out and see what is on that file!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Well I just went out and got a 3080, 3070ti and a 3060ti from a contact. These are really stacking up now. These are going to go on another b450f gaming ii motherboard that I am setting up. First up is to update the bios, and then see if I can get the m.2 to PCIe adapters to work.

I am really trying to find a cheap solution that lets me copy-and-paste these mining rigs to simplify and lower expenses on builds. I am hoping this board works because I can pick them up for $140-170 Canadian at any computer store. Ram is also cheap at about $40. Right now I am having difficulty sourcing cheap cpu's for this system, but I can get some ordered from China for roughly $150. However, they should be costing me no more than $100 locally if anyone ever had any stock.

For now I've been buying cheaper used AMD CPUs off of the local classifieds for roughly $150.

Not including power supplies or graphics cards, I can build out this system with the capability for 6 cards for about $350-400. If I figure out how to get these 2 extra cards working that only adds $12 in adapters. I'm building custom open air frames out of wood, so costs on that is very low.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
How do you decide what to mine?

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
It depends on what gives me the best payout. I regularly check out whattomine.com for a rough idea of how the cards perform.

Right now it is split between Raven and Ethereum. I am thinking about building a rig that will mine Ergo and payout in Bitcoin though as I currently have no Bitcoin holdings and I feel foolish.

I am selling Ethereum as I mine it to aquire new cards. I have a small stack that I won't touch, and anything over that gets liquidated for new purchases. I might be getting 5-8 3060ti cards next week depending on how this one performs. I have never used this card before, but I am setting it up on Raven since it is an "LHR" card that is nerfed on Ethereum.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Here are the lastest cards. From left to right, all are LHR versions so they will be on raven coin for now.
Zotac 3070
EVGA 3060
EVGA 3060ti
EVGA 3070ti
EVGA 3080

These are going on that new b450f board I was setting up last night. I also have another few cards to add to it to try and get it to 8 cards. Lets see if this works.

Well it works. But it's not 100% stable. It is powering down and resetting several times through the day with no error logs showing up. This makes me suspect it is a PSU issue. It's using 1000 watts on a single 1300 watt consumer PSU right now. My next move is to add a 850w to it and split the cards.

It could also be due to the heat. It's 35C here today and these things are absolutely cooking

Attachments

• 20210814_080115.jpg
    20210814_080115.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210814_094021.jpg
    20210814_094021.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
So I was up late last night swapping some higher powered cards to a rig with a 2400watt server PSU, and I built a new wood frame case for that new rig.

I put a new 850 watt PSU in the new computer, and took some load off that 1300 watt one. All of the crashing issues I had seem to be gone, it was rock solid all night.

So my 2 rigs I was playing with are now doing 178 and 270 MH on Raven.

My next steps on the agenda are building 2 more identical wood frames (this is my 3rd design improvement so far), then redoing the thermal paste and pads on a junky MSI 3080. Moving that 3080 to an ethereum rig (it should do 99 hashes, currently does about 82), and moving a 1070, and two 1080ti cards over from ethereum to raven rigs. Moving the 1080ti cards will require figuring out how to get this motherboard to 8 cards, if possible.

I had a line on a 3080ti yesterday but that fell through. However, things are still lookin positive for a potential 5x 3060ti cards next week.

With possibly 3 junky power supplies that means I may have to get some more, or figure out how to juggle more stuff onto these server PSUs

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Just made a contact that orders $30,000+ worth of mining accessories at a time from China. I guess he has been mining for a while and now does that and funds his hardware by selling "shovels" to miners. Works for me!

He went through the headache of finding good suppliers, and takes all the ordering risk. If this works out I might get him to be my ordering guy. For now I'm buying a few hundred dollars in power splitters, PSU breakout boards and risers to try out. If it's all good this could be my guy on the odds and ends I need to make rigs work.

I also just finished making 2 more wood cases. I made a mistake assembling the first one today (made the original yesterday) and the mistake actually made it a better case lol. So these two are superior to the one I did yesterday.

Attachments

• 20210815_152947.jpg
    20210815_152947.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 14

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
New cards are mining raven, ignoring all costs associated with things like cables, cases, ram, motherboard... (these come to about $500 per Rig, and would be split among all the cards it runs)

Depending on which model of card it can run from 5.5-8 months on current coin prices. This also takes into consideration energy costs, which are significant. When I first got into mining I was calculating out 18 month payout times and was happy with that, so with these current prices this is pretty insane.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I have attached the energy usage graph from my utility company, which shows pretty good how I have been expanding my cards.

Personal energy usage was effectively 0 from mid May to mid July, so this was completely from the rigs.

Attachments

• Energy Cost.jpg
    Energy Cost.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 32

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I was struggling with some m.2 issues (unrelated to mining) and was diving into possible solutions.

One of the main issues I came across was that many motherboards use the pcie lanes as an either/or space for the pci slots and the m.2 slots. If the occupy the same lane, you can basically only use one or the other, but not both. From my understanding this means that the m.2 could disable a pci slot and vice-versa.

It's been a while since I've been into the hardware game so this very well may not be your issue - but it seemed to be the common culprit to a lot of m.2 issues that other users around the net have.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
M.2 should split the lane, and drop the main PCIe from x16 to x8. Plenty left over for mining power.

So I found out yesterday that when I run my dryer the breaker in the house trips. So on laundry day I need to shut a few rigs down when it is time for the dryer. I really don't want to see my new energy bill, I bet it will increase 30-50% from the last one.

I have a phone call later today with a commercial mining operation to kind of see how things go. Get some advice on a few topics. They also sell some awesome hardware which I would love to utilize. I just ordered a 8 card motherboard with specialized case and fan system. This case allows 8 cards to be plugged in without the use of risers. If I like this style I could see myself ordering hundreds of them

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
@Raoul Duke here is one for you. I have a system that does not throw any errors that I can see on the mining OS, but it loses communication or something that can only be fixed with a hard reset.

When it stops working it still has full power, the graphics card fans are still spinning and all lights are on. However it won't respond to anything. Hooking a monitor up to anything just shows the last computing thing that it was doing prior to whatever it is doing now.

I have tried using new power supplies, splitting the cards among the power source, swapping out risers, removing overclocks, moving the OS from a thumb drive to an ssd... nothing works. This is a brand new motherboard and it is using a used CPU, and a ram stick from a different system that I had. Could it be an issue with the ethernet connection, or something more?

I have a few more motherboards on their way. One should arrive early next week. I can swap the cards onto that one and see if this solves the issue. I guess until then I am down about 218 on Ethereum

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I saw that thread before and ignored it because he said he uses it to replace the x16_2 slot as his will not work with an x1 riser. I don't have any issues with using 6 risers.

I just tried that info and bios settings to see how it worked. I could not get more than 6 cards to boot. Back to just using 6 on this board I guess.

I got a 1x4 PCIe splitter to try out as well. This also does not work on this board. It does not matter what slot I put it in. I tried it on another board and it let me use an extra card, so that board is up to 7 cards now, but I could not get cards 8 or 9 to boot.

**Well what the heck? This board REFUSES to recognize my 6th card, even going back to the original bios settings. Ugh. I guess I should leave well enough alone.

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Here are some hard numbers I am throwing up just for a time stamp for myself.

GPU: 67
ASIC: 0
Power Draw: 11,500 watts (~$1,300 CAD/month)
Ethereum hashrate: 2,100 MH/s (1.47 Eth/month @ $3017 USD)
Raven Hashrate: 750 MH/s ( (23,125 RVN/month @ $0.1357 USD)

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
So my 3060ti cards never actually shipped, so these might come in next week. No idea. The distributor that I am getting these through is being pretty vague with my contact. Oh well, he is footing the bill on the order, and I pay him when they come in, so I suppose it does not really matter when they come.

I am getting at least 2 more 3080ti cards today, with potentially 2 more if everything goes well. These cards are pretty efficient on Raven, and I like the density that they provide compared to running a stack of smaller cards. The prices I pay has the 3080ti costing about 14% more per hash, but it runs 10% more efficient. I probably won't ever make up that difference in cost, but I really like the density factor. More powerful cards means that I need fewer motherboards, power supplies, ram, CPUs and cases.

Payout costs on these 3080ti cards are roughly 7.5-9 months at current prices.

Once again, I was getting my original gear with 18 month payout times and being happy with that. I am acquiring for the long haul, and see myself doing this for many, many years.

My cool new 8-card case/motherboard combo that I am trying out is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday!!!! I am pretty excited about this.

I also moved a 14 card rig over from Mining 525 MH on ethereum over to Raven. It is doing ~265 MH at the moment. An estimate on hashing is that Raven gives you 1/2 the hashes as ethereum, but it is not exact. Some cards overperform on Raven, and some underperform. By moving this over it also increased my wattage on this system from what I think was about 1,500 watts to 2,060. Raven uses a much more power intensive algorithm.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Well everything worked out and I was able to get my hands on four 3080ti cards!!! This equals another 230 MH on Raven at 1,300 watts. Mind you I don't have the space for all this until my boards come in, so I will be pulling off some 3060s or something to make them fit for now.signal-2021-08-18-183728.jpg20210818_193325.jpg

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
This 6x rtx3080ti rig is insane!!

347 MH on raven @ 1960 watts.

I am already figuring out how to make another one.20210820_174824.jpg

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I ordered a sweet 8 card case that has slots right on the motherboard. No need for risers or anything.

There are 3 ASIC high speed fans on the case and it creates a pretty sweet wind tunnel in the case and keeps the cards cool. 20210820_181840.jpg
20210820_184326.jpg

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Fine, if your supplier has some GPUs left.....

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I have been having random restart issues with that 6x 3080ti rig. It is running a 2400 watt server PSU on 240v, and the system software says that is is drawing ~2000 watts. Just in case this is the issue I have just split the cards half-and-half onto two 1400 watt server PSUs instead. Of course I did not have enough cables to power these things, so the rig was down for 3 hours for the building and me running to the store to get the power cables I need.

Let us see if this solves the issue with the reboots. The problem is that these little PSUs are FREAKING LOUD. They are in my basement and the high pitch wine drives me to insanity. Power wise though this frees up my 2400w 240v, which I can then swap onto my other hodge podge system of LHR cards which is drawing about 1450w at the moment and running on ITX power supplies. That one also has some reset issues ever since I increased the power on it. I am pretty sure my 1300w EVGA PSU is on the fritz. I don't think I can load more than like 700-800w onto it.

On Monday I am picking up a pair of 1600w and a 1350w server PSU. I want to fill up my 30a 240v breaker as far as it goes and free up my house plugs again.

* Well that didn't turn out as well as planned. The computer has just shut off twice with the new power supplies, and it won't turn back on. It requires me cycle the PSU's. The only change to the system was swapping those things. I guess the plan of throwing the 2400w on my other machine is out. Although I might put the 2x 1400w power supplies on that one anyways and see how that goes.

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Some updated numbers. I currently have a 1070 and a RX580 card offline. Everything else is up and running (for now).

Total Cards: 70 online (plus 2 offline)
Ethereum: 2,229 MH/s @ 6,640 watts (missing 28 MH/s from 1 card)
Raven: 935 MH/s @ 6,000 watts (missing 15 MH/s from 1 card)

Total effective Ethereum hashrate: 4,099 MH/s @ 12,640 watts

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Nice setup!
Whats your electricity cost per kWh?
Any problems with your electricity provider?
Please compare the 3080 to 3080ti at ETH and Raven. Thanks.
Will you run the 1070 again?

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Nice setup!
Whats your electricity cost per kWh?
Any problems with your electricity provider?
Please compare the 3080 to 3080ti at ETH and Raven. Thanks.
Will you run the 1070 again?
All prices in CAD

My all in electricity costs are roughly $0.15 per kWh. I will check the new bill when it comes in and double check this. I also need to call the utility provider and see what they charge in the industrial area, and what I can do to lower my costs. I have not yet had any issues with power delivery, but I imagine if weed were illegal I would be getting a knock on my door, at which time I would tell them to screw off and come back with a warrant.

All new graphics cards are the LHR variant, and so they mine Ethereum at 50%. There are a few tricks to get them up to like 70%, but I am not screwing around on a large scale (and potentially lose stability) to figure this out. Besides, with Ethereum payouts being so low now it does not even make sense to worry about this.

These are my latest costs and figures on some recent cards. Please note that it is nearly impossible to find most cards, especially the 3080, so prices are a bit higher than they would otherwise be. The 3080ti also come in a package with a 850w PSU, so prices are a bit higher than they otherwise would be. I am keeping all of my PSU's for future rigs. I learned my lesson trying to sell gear that I thought I would not be using.

3080ti -- $2037 -- 58 MH/s -- 325 watts -- $35.12/MH -- 178kH/w
3080 -- $1344 -- 50 MH/s -- 270 watts -- $26.88/MH -- 185kH/w
3070ti -- $1260 -- 39.6 MH/s -- 250 watts -- $31.82/MH -- 158 kH/w
3070 -- $1024 -- 31 MH/s -- 150 watts -- $33.03/MH -- 207 kH/w
3060ti -- $783 -- 28.6 MH/s -- 160 watts -- $27.38/MH -- 179 kH/w
3060 -- $685 -- 23.5 MH/s -- 135 watts -- $29.15/MH -- 174 kH/w

For reference a 1070 gets about 15 MH/s on raven at 140 watts. So roughly 105kH/w. Not even close to as efficient as any of the 30 series cards.

So the overall best card to get would be the 3070 as it is far and away the most efficient. The last model that I was able to find is also one of the more expensive ones, so most would be $50-100 less than this if you can find one.

The 3080 is the second best as its price per hash is super low, it has great efficiency, and it is super powerful so you can have a very power dense rig.

The 3080ti is roughly on par for efficiency when compared to the other non 3070 cards, but the price per hash is higher. When you take into consideration it also has a PSU that I could sell for $150 quite easily, the price would actually drop to $32.53/MH which would effectively make it the same cost as the 3070 and 3070ti. However, I like this card as it is just an absolute TON of power in such a small form. I am able to make super powerful rigs with these that don't take up an absolute load of room in my house, and space is at a premium for me right now. I literally have rigs sitting on recliners in my theater room. This card is also the easiest for me to get, as everyone else seems to be scared to drop over $2k on a card.

3070ti is a lame duck. This is my least favorite card to get. It is expensive, and it has by far the worst efficiency of any other 30 series card. However, I will still buy these any day of the week if there are no other options, or if one of my sources where I am able to buy multiple cards at a time has them in stock.

3060ti is a secret bomb. I had no idea it would be as good as it is. The price is super low on this, and the efficiency is decent. One of my sources is also able to get quite a few of these in, and I am waiting on 5ish from him at the moment. All I was able to find on the internet before I purchased my first one was how they suck for anything else, and they are now dead on Eth due to LHR. This is all false. This card is a freaking beast for its price. I would happily buy hundreds of these if I could (and I will).

The 3060 is just a whatever card for me. I will buy every one that I can find, but it is not a priority. The cost is low, and the efficiency is decent, but it takes up so much space. Going forward I am going to throw all of these into those cool 8-card rigs that I found. That case is about $700 all in for me at a single price, and if I can buy them in bulk the prices drop. So every card essentially costs me an extra $90 due to the case/psu/cpu that needs to go with it, which is a lot of extra costs considering the lower hash rate that these cards provide.

Here is my list of priority for 30 series Nvidia cards:
3070 > 3080 > 3080ti > 3060ti > 3060 > 3070ti

Nvidia also has 1660 super and 1660ti cards which are fantastic on Ethereum. These cards can be purchased for like $400 all in, and do 31 MH/s on Eth at something like 80 watts. I only have 3 of them, but if they can be found they are a hidden gem.

I own several 3090 cards, but I have not tried these on raven. They are all on Ethereum at the moment and do 119-123 MH/s @ 300-320 watts depending on the card. All my 3080 and 3070 non LHR cards are also still on Ethereum as the power consumption is significantly less and that is my largest concern at the moment with only having a 100amp panel.

I have a few AMD 6700xt cards as well. These are fantastically stable cards but they are very expensive right now. They are at 46.5 MH on Ethereum at ~110 watts. They require 0 babysitting and my 7 card rig has literally never once shut down or had any issues since I figured out the OC settings for the cards. These cards have gone up 20-30% in MSRP since I purchased them, and so I will not get them anymore. They are $1050-1300 per card at the moment, which makes the 30 series cards more attractive. However, there is not yet a BIOS mod for these. Once someone figures that out it could unlock 10-20% more hashes and make them more efficient.

AMD also has a 6600xt card that just came out which may be attractive to buy, but I have yet to try it out. There are also 6800, 6800xt and 6900xt cards. Apparently these all hash about the same on Ethereum, at 60-65 MH/s. AMD could potentially be releasing the 7000 series cards in the not too distant future, but who knows.

If I had unlimited money, and could fund a mine 3-5 years out, I would be spending a significant amount of time running the numbers on AMD cards. They are easier to get, run incredibly efficient, and are bomb-proof stable. There is a reason that most commercial mines from the 2018 era ran thousands of AMD 580xt cards. You just BIOS mod them and set-and-forget them. I have a 13 580xt cards and I think they have not run an error in nearly 3 years. However, I am looking to sell them due to them having lower efficiency compared to modern cards, and I want to raise capital to have all 30 series cards in my house.20210822_090052.jpg

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I am not joking when I say this is taking over my life. Here is my home gym/ motherboard staging area. I have 3 wood cases ready to go, and 2 motherboards I am troubleshooting on the ground. Not the best area but my kids don't go down here, and it's out of the way so they are safe there.

Curtains in the back are to blackout my theater room with a projector. I made this amazing legit theater room with blackout curtains on the walls and roof, 5.2.1 Atmos, and a projector. And now I watch like one movie a month if I am lucky.
20210822_091345.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.