The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cryptocurrency a scam?

Anything related to bitcoin, crypto, blockchain

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
I manage a few investment portfolios for clients and read up on business models and financial statements all the time. Personally, I'm a value investor and suggest the same for clients if they have enough money to "play" with. I am fully aware of people getting very rich off of cryptocurrencies and it's constantly being touted as a great way to make money. I've done extensive research on it, especially Bitcoin, and still find myself very weary and distrustful of it. Warren Buffet says to stay the hell away from it and Jordan Belfort, a scammer himself, has called it a scam. I know that both of these sources have been wrong before and their beliefs are not the gospel truth, but what do you guys think of cryptocurrencies, in particular Bitcoin? I'm curious. Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Bitcoin and the major coins are not scams. They have teams behind them working on them and they have a purpose.

That been said there is a lot of scam coins out there. There are over 3000 different cryptocurrencies. Most of them are scams because anyone can create a new coin. They create a coin, hype it up to get it in a reputable exchange. Once it gets listed on an exchange it gets pumped than immediately dumped.

Honestly I wouldn't listen to the old timers regarding cryptos. The technology is too new and it's just getting started.

Chinobey

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 19, 2017
England
I manage a few investment portfolios for clients and read up on business models and financial statements all the time. Personally, I'm a value investor and suggest the same for clients if they have enough money to "play" with. I am fully aware of people getting very rich off of cryptocurrencies and it's constantly being touted as a great way to make money. I've done extensive research on it, especially Bitcoin, and still find myself very weary and distrustful of it. Warren Buffet says to stay the hell away from it and Jordan Belfort, a scammer himself, has called it a scam. I know that both of these sources have been wrong before and their beliefs are not the gospel truth, but what do you guys think of cryptocurrencies, in particular Bitcoin? I'm curious. Thanks.
A little over a year ago I joined this forum I have not been very active at all but I started as a kid with less than 3 figures and have made it to well over 5 figures since then something I never imagined being possible at this age. A ton of cryptocurrencies are scams but the top 25 at least are genuine and have a long way to go imho just do research on the coins is the developer active do they have a github etc. and decide for yourself but definitely better to get in sooner rather than later.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I started as a kid with less than 3 figures and have made it to well over 5 figures since then something I never imagined being possible at this age.

FYI: Just because $X,XXX turned into $XX,XXX doesn't mean something isn't a scam. All ponzi's start that way. Not saying cryto is a scam, just pointing out that a "return" doesn't validate anything.

Chinobey

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 19, 2017
England
FYI: Just because $X,XXX turned into $XX,XXX doesn't mean something isn't a scam. All ponzi's start that way. Not saying cryto is a scam, just pointing out that a "return" doesn't validate anything.
Yes very true probably should have worded it better, whilst it could be seen as a scam there is still huge potential to make money from it if you research and invest/trade wisely. My best ever trade was a coin that is essentially a scam it was just a cash grab that serves no real purpose but the opportunity to make money was still huge. So while thousands of them may be 'scams' does not mean money cannot be made.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

Cryptocurrency and blockchain technology is in now way a scam.

In saying that it is a new space and there are alot of scammers in that space as it is new they take advantage of the fact people don't know alot and can create scam projects.

Like when the internet came out in sure there was alot of scam internet companies.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Cryptocurrency is a religion at this point.

So far no one has been able to refute Jordan Belfort's argument. It usually leads to Ad Hominem and Straw Mans. If you know his main arguments search everywhere for a counter refutation...You can't find a good one which is all you need to know about Crypto.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Honestly I wouldn't listen to the old timers regarding cryptos. The technology is too new and it's just getting started.

This is a bad way of looking at things and very typical of millennial mindsets. These old timers have seen it all and their main arguments are very good.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
This is a bad way of looking at things and very typical of millennial mindsets. These old timers have seen it all and their main arguments are very good.

Crypto has always been a controversial investment choice, I always look at these types of investments on a risk reward ratio, and the risk is Weth it to have a small holding in the space, I don't get how anyone can argue that the tech is not legitement.

So let's see put a couple of thousand in a shitty index fund or stock with minimum upside, or crypto I chose crypto.

bringitnow28329

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 30, 2013
Providence
In November and December 2017 the whole world was interested in Crypto as BTC was hitting an extremely over extended range at 20k. People call it a scam because it dropped but what they don't understand is that asset prices don't just go straight up. Even in bubbles you need the bubbles to pop or at least temporarily deflate (which is what has happen between January and August 218) to entice new market participants. Cryptocurrencies are like commodities which don't pay dividends and don't generate any profits and for that reason their only method of growth is through price appreciation. They are 100% based on supply and demand. The general public does not understand what this means. Only traders really understand that even though the underlying technologies behind some of these cryptos could revolutionize, at this point in time, besides using them for purchasing illegal goods, there only real purpose is to be used as a trading a vehicle. A trading vehicle is how traders take money from the pockets of either other traders, or the uninformed and under educated. It really doesn't matter whether it's a stock, a bond, a futures contract, a currency, etc. Real traders analyze statistics and other metrics which help them to quantify optimal times to be involved, either long or short, in risky assets. It is only at these times that it makes financial to participate in something like a volatile cryptocurrency because this is when they become more predictable. A person with no trading experience or market knowledge with think there is no such thing as predictability but the reality is pattern occur day in and day out in the financial markets in all types of assets. This is because of both basic human nature and also computer algo's which are programmed in a specific way. Asset prices are not based on rational reasons. The bottom line is it doesn't matter if you think cryptos are a scam. Sure there are many lower priced ones just like there are many scam penny stock companies, but it doesn't make a difference if you understand that you can't compare a crypto to something like buying and holdng Apple stock. Apple can be volatile. It can go through earnings, miss it's whisper number and drop 10% in seconds. Crptos are more volatile and can drop 10% on a daily basis just because traders are using them purely to make money in the short term.

The bottom line: There is a huge difference between and investment and a trading vehicle. If you invest in something volatile like a crypto then you need to be fully aware that there's a good chance you will lose all your money. If you invest in Apple stock there's an infinitely small chance you will lose all your money, but you also are never going to earn 50% in one day as you could potentially experience in a crypto. Everything in the market is based on the potential risk and returns that you can achieve from a specific asset type.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Crypto has always been a controversial investment choice, I always look at these types of investments on a risk reward ratio, and the risk is Weth it to have a small holding in the space, I don't get how anyone can argue that the tech is not legitement.

So let's see put a couple of thousand in a shitty index fund or stock with minimum upside, or crypto I chose crypto.

That's not what the "old timers" are saying...

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Jordan Belfort is a scam artist he has no credibility why would anyone listen to that fool. Warren buffet well Warren mcbuffet is wrong about aaallllooootttt of things, alot!

Respect your opinion but I think your off base a bit. When people get old brain stops working as good aswell harsh fact of life we will all be there eventually.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I'm happy with my internet fun box money you can all do what you want. Haha

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Jordan Belfort is a scam artist he has no credibility why would anyone listen to that fool. Warren buffet well Warren mcbuffet is wrong about aaallllooootttt of things, alot!

Respect your opinion but I think your off base a bit. When people get old brain stops working as good aswell harsh fact of life we will all be there eventually.

So far no one has been able to refute Jordan Belfort's argument. It usually leads to Ad Hominem and Straw Mans. If you know his main arguments search everywhere for a counter refutation...You can't find a good one which is all you need to know about Crypto.

Thanks for proving my point...Kid's nowadays have no ability to think critically ...

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016

What is Jordan Belforts main argument? Does it make sense? What is the counter argument to his thesis?

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks for proving my point...Kid's nowadays have no ability to think critically ...

Upon reading your arrogant and condecending comment I clicked on your profile and was surprised to see your 38 years of age?

Your life must be a wreck.

Show these facts and arguments then of these people. there's a little thing called a chat box where you can type it in there just so your aware kiddo.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Upon reading your arrogant and condecending comment I clicked on your profile and was surprised to see your 38 years of age?

Your life must be a wreck.

Show these facts and arguments then of these people. there's a little thing called a chat box where you can type it in there just so your aware kiddo.

LOL, you say these people are wrong then you admit you don't know what their positions are? Your anger and trolling is sad. There are so many posters on this forum that are your age that are awesome, open minded, smart, positive and well respected. I love the younger guys on this forum who contribute and support everyone on here. Sadly you are not one of them.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
LOL, you say these people are wrong then you admit you don't know what their positions are? Your anger and trolling is sad. There are so many posters on this forum that are your age that are awesome, open minded, smart, positive and well respected. I love the younger guys on this forum who contribute and support everyone on here. Sadly you are not one of them.

I have seen there opinions and positions and didn't think it was even worth mentioning, but again show me the position.

Jordan Belfort himself has admitted that Bitcoin isn't a scam so it makes your position as far as I'm concerned irrelevant.

And buffet himself admits he doesn't even understand it!

Would LOVE for you to add some credibility to your position but I know you won't because you have none.

Link please? Anything? Have you got one thing to show us to back your argument? Again please the chat window is below please attach it.

Would LOVE to see it.

The fact it's a speculative investment does not mean it's a scam.

Last edited:

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
I have seen there opinions and positions and didn't think it was even worth mentioning, but again show me the position.

Jordan Belfort himself has admitted that Bitcoin isn't a scam so it makes your position as far as I'm concerned irrelevant.

And buffet himself admits he doesn't even understand it!

Would LOVE for you to add some credibility to your position but I know you won't because you have none.

Link please? Anything? Have you got one thing to show us to back your argument? Again please the chat window is below please attach it.

Would LOVE to see it.

The fact it's a speculative investment does not mean it's a scam.

upload_2018-9-4_20-5-45.jpeg

LOL up your trolling game.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-4gRZmcRE

Here are Jordan's positions. Enjoy your day. Now have fun refuting every single one of them. State all of them and offer rebuttals why he is wrong.

Also, FWIW, Belfort's predictions have been right for the past 18 months.

These "old time" investors have seen it all and I think its a mistake to dismiss their experience and knowledge.

Last edited:

TinyTim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 1, 2016
The World

The biggest companies in the world disagree.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
The biggest companies in the world disagree.

That's a strawman argument, not a refutation of Belfort's argument.

thats-not-an-argument-3737029.png

The biggest companies in the world bought into Y2K as well, so it really means nothing...

Last edited:

TinyTim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 1, 2016
The World
That's a strawman argument, not a refutation of Belfort's argument.

thats-not-an-argument-3737029.png

The biggest companies in the world bought into Y2K as well, so it really means nothing...

I was replying to your comment that "Cryptocurrency is a religion at this point". Which isn't the case when they are actively being used to transform the majority of the world's industries. People's Insurance Company of China (PICC), one of the largest insurers globally with $126 billion total assets is opting to embrace blockchain technology with the help of DNV GL and VeChain

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
. A ton of cryptocurrencies are scams but the top 25 at least are genuine .

This wrong, tether is a complete scam.

I was replying to your comment that "Cryptocurrency is a religion at this point". Which isn't the case when they are actively being used to transform the majority of the world's industries. People's Insurance Company of China (PICC), one of the largest insurers globally with $126 billion total assets is opting to embrace blockchain technology with the help of DNV GL and VeChain

BLockchain and cryptocurrney are different things. You can have a cryptocurreny free blockchain( Just keep the Merkel route indvisible) while ERC20 tokens, don't run on their own blockchain but on the EVM.

The two terms are confused a lot.

I've done extensive research on it, especially Bitcoin, and still find myself very weary and distrustful of it..

wonder how extensive your search was. Have you resarched Omni-Layer, cross-chain atomic swaps, side chains, smart contracts in depth? How many of the other crpyots have you compared ot bitcoin? How many potenital users have you tlaked to about it?

My theory is that blockhain and distributed ledgers are undervalued but all Crypto is undervalued.

TinyTim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 1, 2016
The World
This wrong, tether is a complete scam.

BLockchain and cryptocurrney are different things. You can have a cryptocurreny free blockchain( Just keep the Merkel route indvisible) while ERC20 tokens, don't run on their own blockchain but on the EVM.

The two terms are confused a lot.

wonder how extensive your search was. Have you resarched Omni-Layer, cross-chain atomic swaps, side chains, smart contracts in depth? How many of the other crpyots have you compared ot bitcoin? How many potenital users have you tlaked to about it?

My theory is that blockhain and distributed ledgers are undervalued but all Crypto is undervalued.
I linked to a cryptocurrency

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I linked to a cryptocurrency
You said top 25 are not a scam. That top 25 includes tether which is a scam. So therefore the top 25 are not scam free. Most companies believe in blockchain not crypto, you seem to be confusing the two. It's not uncommon in tech. It's similar to conflaitng an invement in domains and Domain Name servers. One gives investors a stake in Pets.com - Wikipedia the other gives them a stake in Cisco Systems - Wikipedia

Which of those two would you prefer to own?

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016

This is still a strawman argument and does not address Jordan Belfort's main arguments about crypto currency. I don't even think you watched the video.

Belfort specifically states whenever you buy any crypto, you are not buying a stake in block chain technology. Bit coin and block chain technology are 2 separate things. Block chain technology is OPEN source and FREEE which ANYONE can utilize. Block Chain Technology is great and will have an impact on technology which Belfort is a fan of. Satoshi never trademarked Block Chain which would have changed this whole argument.

China and India have banned Crypto.

Belfort's other argument is also sound and that is Central Banks will NEVER give up control of their money supply to a third party, we are already seeing that with China, India and 3rd world nations.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.