The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Committing and No Longer Selling Myself Short

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

mo3

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 6, 2017
UK
Hey Inspire,

It sounds like you're a bit overwhelmed with information and can't focus or make a decision. I know what that's like - I too am interested in everything!

However, I think what you need to do here is stop consuming electronic info and start doing your own thing. There isn't a course out there that will give you exactly what you need. Trust yourself.

Find the value in what you are doing. Work out how you can help someone else and then find a way to do exactly that. Try not to jump around too much - it's just endless distraction and noise.

I think you are focusing too much on the end, rather than making things better for someone else. Businesses aren't built in weeks (usually!), and they almost never follow the path you start on. Things change, you learn more, you improve and refine your ideas and your product/service.

Just get started. Produce, don't consume. It's harder work, but it's the way out.

Wishing you all the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Hey Inspire,

It sounds like you're a bit overwhelmed with information and can't focus or make a decision. I know what that's like - I too am interested in everything!

However, I think what you need to do here is stop consuming electronic info and start doing your own thing. There isn't a course out there that will give you exactly what you need. Trust yourself.

Find the value in what you are doing. Work out how you can help someone else and then find a way to do exactly that. Try not to jump around too much - it's just endless distraction and noise.

I think you are focusing too much on the end, rather than making things better for someone else. Businesses aren't built in weeks (usually!), and they almost never follow the path you start on. Things change, you learn more, you improve and refine your ideas and your product/service.

Just get started. Produce, don't consume. It's harder work, but it's the way out.

Wishing you all the best.

Thank you so much for the encouraging words! It means a lot to me!

I've been thinking long and hard about what I'm currently doing and I think in the beginning I might have gotten in for the wrong reasons. I was expecting that I would be more able to reach out to my uncle for advice, but he is so busy with his own business that I've been forced to figure it out on my own. It felt like my ticket to freedom. But, because of that, I've had to become more resourceful and really dig deep with figuring out what needs to be done. I feel like I've come a long way, but I also know that I've barely scratched the surface with what is possible. I just don't know how to take that next step. It doesn't feel like I have a good foundation set -- like I'm just wobbling on stilts.

And since I haven't taken the massive action that I thought I would or that I need to be taking, I haven't given it all I got to really say it's not working. I think that is what is causing me to hesitate too.

With all that said, after working today, I came home and checked my email and found two emails requesting documentation. I am probably going to requote one of them and see if I still get the award, but the second one looks promising. They usually don't ask for documentation if they aren't going to award it to you (as far as I know). And that second one will be a good one if it all works out. My turnaround won't take nearly as long as the first award did. So, there are some good things in the works right now and I should know within the next couple days how it works out.

I've been putting in some good work with my friend's website. It's turning out well, but I keep playing with it since I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I'm trying to get it finished so I can start moving on to paid websites.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you so much for the encouraging words! It means a lot to me!

I've been thinking long and hard about what I'm currently doing and I think in the beginning I might have gotten in for the wrong reasons. I was expecting that I would be more able to reach out to my uncle for advice, but he is so busy with his own business that I've been forced to figure it out on my own. It felt like my ticket to freedom. But, because of that, I've had to become more resourceful and really dig deep with figuring out what needs to be done. I feel like I've come a long way, but I also know that I've barely scratched the surface with what is possible. I just don't know how to take that next step. It doesn't feel like I have a good foundation set -- like I'm just wobbling on stilts.

And since I haven't taken the massive action that I thought I would or that I need to be taking, I haven't given it all I got to really say it's not working. I think that is what is causing me to hesitate too.

With all that said, after working today, I came home and checked my email and found two emails requesting documentation. I am probably going to requote one of them and see if I still get the award, but the second one looks promising. They usually don't ask for documentation if they aren't going to award it to you (as far as I know). And that second one will be a good one if it all works out. My turnaround won't take nearly as long as the first award did. So, there are some good things in the works right now and I should know within the next couple days how it works out.

I've been putting in some good work with my friend's website. It's turning out well, but I keep playing with it since I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I'm trying to get it finished so I can start moving on to paid websites.
You misunderstand.

Your uncle is too busy in his business to help you because he is doing what you're doing. He's being resourceful and figuring things out.

He's not going to say anything to you that will magically make things easier.

You're going to have to put in the work, every - single - day.

"It doesn't get easier. You get stronger."

And being a perfectionist can have its place, but not if it's stopping you from shipping.

The market doesn't pay for busyness. Wrap it up and go find a paying client.

HTH

mo3

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 6, 2017
UK
But, because of that, I've had to become more resourceful and really dig deep with figuring out what needs to be done.

That's great. That's exactly what you're going to need. Now get to work and start building your future [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I've been thinking long and hard about what I'm currently doing and I think in the beginning I might have gotten in for the wrong reasons.

Stop thinking so much. For real.

And wrong reasons? Nah.

You want freedom, that's a good reason.

But,

You became a "copper copper, crime stopper!" to provide value right? Thought you could make a difference? Change the world, if only in your community?

Now THAT'S a good reason. Providing value. Best feeling ever is providing value. Money is just a side effect of that.

It really sounds to me that you're struggling with "where's the value?" with this government contract thing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Your uncle is too busy in his business to help you because he is doing what you're doing. He's being resourceful and figuring things out.

This ^^^

He IS coaching you, by showing you what it takes.

It doesn't feel like I have a good foundation set -- like I'm just wobbling on stilts.

Yeah, completely normal feeling.

I just started a new biz. No idea what I'm doing haha. Not a clue.

I've had at least partial ownership in what, like 9 different businesses over the years? I STILL feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.

I feel that way because you know what? I DON'T know what I'm doing. I do have skills that transfer over well to this new venture, but a lot of skills that don't transfer at all, and so much new stuff to learn.

Embrace that feeling 'cause man, you're gonna feel it A LOT. This shit is hard.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
You misunderstand.

He's not going to say anything to you that will magically make things easier.

You're going to have to put in the work, every - single - day.

"It doesn't get easier. You get stronger."

And being a perfectionist can have its place, but not if it's stopping you from shipping.

The market doesn't pay for busyness. Wrap it up and go find a paying client.

HTH

Sometimes he will give me pointers on where to start looking, but then we never get to the steps of how I go about doing it. It's all on me, though. I still have to do the work whether it's easy or hard. I realized that in the beginning I couldn't think for myself because I was relying on him too much to give me the answers. Once I started asking myself the questions, I went out and found the answers.

I woke up today feeling like I had a renewed sense of purpose. Knowing what I know now, quoting and getting the documentation is no longer a battle of overcoming my fear of the unknown. I just do it, excited that I might win another award.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Stop thinking so much. For real.

And wrong reasons? Nah.

You want freedom, that's a good reason.

But,

You became a "copper copper, crime stopper!" to provide value right? Thought you could make a difference? Change the world, if only in your community?

Now THAT'S a good reason. Providing value. Best feeling ever is providing value. Money is just a side effect of that.

It really sounds to me that you're struggling with "where's the value?" with this government contract thing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

When I sit in a car for ~10+ hours, bored out of my mind, I have a lot of time to think.

Becoming an officer was a childhood dream. I'm not really sure what the motivation was. It was just really exciting to me. It was always the mystery of the job that kept me curious. However, now, I just don't feel fulfilled. The recklessness and selfishness of some people blows my mind. I'm ready for a new challenge to propel me further, to keep me excited, to create something bigger than myself.

I was talking to a guy yesterday while I was on a call. He was a retired trooper from a different state. After telling me who he was, he began to thank me for what I do and told me he couldn't imagine doing it today. His exact words were, "the job today just seems like you're always at war." And he was right. I can compare the job today to 10 years ago and it's nowhere near the same. I just don't see a way out unless I can create a business that allows me to control my own time.

Yeah, completely normal feeling.

I just started a new biz. No idea what I'm doing haha. Not a clue.

I've had at least partial ownership in what, like 9 different businesses over the years? I STILL feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.

I feel that way because you know what? I DON'T know what I'm doing. I do have skills that transfer over well to this new venture, but a lot of skills that don't transfer at all, and so much new stuff to learn.

Embrace that feeling 'cause man, you're gonna feel it A LOT. This shit is hard.

This is encouraging! haha I appreciate you taking the time to be open about that. I don't have the network or the background of 'being in business' so I don't know what kind of emotions I'm expecting to feel. All I relate to is what the average person considers that this struggling, pain, anxiety, and nervousness is bad. I guess that is where everyone gets the notion that you have to know everything before starting, but I know that isn't true anymore. I always feel like I need to be an expert or I'm not good enough. It's been a huge learning opportunity and I look forward to picking up and having the success like everyone else.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Today has been a good day. After looking over the numbers, I decided I had to requote the first product. Even if I don't win it, I didn't want to take a loss on it. I emailed the buyer letting him know I requoted and sent over the documentation with it incase he wants to continue with the award at the higher price. I also sent him the second documentation that I'm hoping goes through as that will be my biggest profit so far. Hopefully, I hear back tomorrow. And then I ended by quoting 2 more contracts.

Afterward, I got ahold of my friend to show her the website. I wanted her opinion to see what she thought. Long story short, she had a couple suggestions, including a color theme, and showed me a site that inspired her and so I decided the best thing to do would be a complete redesign. I went back and forth with her through text message for a couple hours -- plus, just talking about other things. All-in-all, I spent a good 6 hours today between working on the old site and now the new site. For most of the day, I completely lost track of time because I was so intent on getting the new site started. It has been a lot of fun and I actually feel productive.

I had to force myself away to feed my dog and make myself dinner! After I ate, I wanted to take a look at it again and then spent almost another hour tinkering around with it again.

I've been meaning to mention that I also have a couple things listed on eBay that I put on there over the weekend. It's gotten a couple views so far so I'm hoping they sell.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Just another monthly update.

Quoted 9 contracts in September. Had a buyer reach out to me for one, plus an older one from a few months ago. I sent in the required documentation that they asked for, but haven't heard anything. It has been 3 weeks since they asked. I don't know if that is standard, but the last time I was asked to send them paperwork, I was awarded the contract within a couple days.

I also made the decision to go after web design. I bought @Fox 's course and started being more active in his facebook group. I think his course will provide a positive ROI. I've already learned a lot and started a 2nd redesign of my friend's photography site. It has been an uphill battle learning how to navigate the theme I'm using, but I'm learning a ton and I think it's turning out well. I've been working nearly all day for the past few days on the site trying to get it just right. I've probably spent more time working on the site in the past couple weeks than I have worked on my contract business in 6 months. It has just been more enjoyable and feels more tangible. Plus, Fox's facebook group is an incredible network and even talking to him a few times, he genuinely makes you feel like he wants you to succeed and instills the confidence that you will if you do the necessary work.

The plan is to keep the contracting business running, but honestly, I've been so immersed in web design that I haven't taken the time to keep consistent with quoting each day. I want to get this first site done so I can move on to reaching out to other businesses, and also get my own site developed.

My listings on eBay are still running as well. A few people have looked at them, but no buyers yet. I dropped the price of one of them today to try to get a quicker sale. I'd rather have the money than to try to extract every cent out of the thing.

I took off work yesterday and today so in total I'll have 7 days off in a row by the time I go back to work. I actually feel like I'm free and it's so nice to feel like I'm in control of my time working on what I want to work on. It would be nice if I didn't have to think about my work weekend approaching.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
In the previous post, which was nearly a month ago, I mentioned that I was waiting to hear about a couple contracts that a buyer wanted documentation on. Nothing happened for the longest time and I sort of just forgot about it. I was working on my web design stuff and put the govt stuff to the side. I was never super passionate about it other than being really excited that I was finally taking steps to start a business, but as time went on, I realized that it wasn't matching up with my vision of the future.

Well, last week, I looked at my email and found that I was awarded the contract that I was really hoping for. The value tops my first contract and the profit should bring me out of the hole I put myself in from the first one. I ordered the product immediately and now just waiting for it to be delivered in 2 shipments. I have until the beginning of January to complete it, but it will be taken care of as soon as I get everything I need and have time to relabel everything.

After this one, I don't expect to win anymore and I haven't quoted anymore since September.

As far as web design, I have been working a lot on the new business. I'm nearly finished with Fox's course and I finished a new course that was posted on Udemy. I learned a ton of cool things through the power of HTML and CSS. It's amazing how much more time I put into working on this new business since I'm really enjoying it a lot more and actually believe I can create real value.

I've been working on my friend's site, but I'm not sold on it. I am on design #3. The more I got into it, the more I am believing that she probably needs something more dynamic that she will be able to take over in the future and not have to worry about figuring out how to code a little bit of HTML as far as adding new photos. I will need to learn how to develop on Wordpress.

My friend also started a business and so I started working with helping him, but he's doing a lot of the work himself. I'll probably step in at some point, but he's been pretty good at doing his thing and not relying on me. It's at least nice to have someone to talk to about business.

And lastly, after 3 designs on my own site, I went live with it today. I'll redesign it eventually, but it was time to just get it out to the world instead of trying to make every pixel look perfect. I have some ideas on what I "really" want it to look like so I'll work on the redesign as time goes on. The goal now is to start putting my name out there and make some sales!

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I wish I had more to report in here, but I don't. 2017 was a tough year as far as a business goes. Maybe my expectations are too high. My government contracting business netted me $7, not counting all of the expenses I had in the beginning. Later in the year, I decided it probably wasn't the best route for me to take so I flipped over to web design.

I still haven't finished my friend's photography site. I made a 3rd or 4th redesign and, while it's much better than the first two or three, I still don't think it's right. Then, my friend started a business and I offered to do (redo) his site for free. He started with a WordPress theme, but it doesn't look very good. I have two other friends who are toying with the idea of starting a business and they know I do web design so we'll see if those come through. Other than that, I have $0 in sales from web design.

My real-life work was super busy to finish out the year. The stress everyday can just be too much sometimes. The biggest thing is that I'm having trouble seeing a way out. I feel trapped and keep thinking, "how the hell did I get myself into this position?" I don't regret anything, it's just that it feels like my options are limited.

I've really put a lot of pressure on myself and so I've had to step back and try to refocus and let things be. It's always motivating starting a new year ready to make it the best year yet. The problem is that nothing has really changed. I'm still the same stressed-out, mentally worn-out, anxiety-filled, confused, and tired person I was last year. I've made some progress mindset-wise over the last few months, but I'm still not seeing anything come to life. It really shouldn't be this hard.

The goal is to finish my friend's website, push it live, and then start emailing businesses again. I need to take it one step at a time.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I've been in a funk lately. I've been failing in every which way. I am the example of "don't do what he's doing." And, it's not failing in the sense that I've been finding many dead-ends and having to redirect. It's been failing in not even trying. It's failing in not even doing what needs to be done to even give myself a chance to succeed.

After reading @Raoul Duke's thread on borrowing money for the fastlane summit, I've realized that I'm in the same position. I've been letting people down. I told my friend I would redesign her photography site. I was excited for a couple weeks, but ultimately hated the designs and stopped working on it. Then, my friend started a personal training business and allowed me to redesign his site. I was excited for a couple weeks, didn't like the original design, got into manually coding one that he was liking, but it was a lot of work to get the responsiveness to work, and so I stopped working on it. I'm letting him down because he's waiting on me to get it done.

I've been so stressed at my job. I'm so unhappy with it and it's creeping into my personal life. I'm irritable, short-tempered, impatient, and worn out. My brain is always running on empty. I had the weekend off and all I did all weekend was sit in front of my computer watching spring training baseball, Nascar, playing video games, and randomly reading things here and there. I get absolutely nothing done and then afterward I think about how much time I wasted. I'm quickly becoming aware that time is limited and my life is passing me by. I don't feel like I'm in control anymore and I've been slowly slipping into procrastinating and being lazy. I hate to say it, but I have to be real with myself.

I've been lazy.

I lost the drive to keep going.

And that sucks.

There is absolutely no reason why I can't pick myself up and do the work that needs to be done. I just simply don't have the motivation and drive to do anything. I'm so stressed out at my job that I turn into a zombie on my days off. It's time I need to recharge before the days off are over and it's back to work. By the time I get to my 3-day weekend every other weekend, I'm so beat down that it's a relief when I have nothing to do.

The problem is that when I have nothing to do, then I do nothing. My 3-day weekend is a chance to finally catch my breath before I have to head back out to a job that stresses me out.

With the little bit of action I've taken, I have trouble seeing the other side of the mountain. It's true what Tony Robbins says, if you don't think it will work for you, then you won't even try.

And so I get stuck doing what is comfortable with a guaranteed paycheck and tolerate the stress and unhappiness and unfulfillment. I feel like the dream I have for myself is so far out of reach that it's a distant memory and not possible to ever happen for me. It scares me to think I'll never reach my potential or my ambition, but I'm so mentally worn out, worn down, and discouraged.

Last edited:

Comet

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Aug 5, 2015
Hi @InspireHD .

This is my first post in the forum, eventhough my account was created a long ago.
I actually intended my first post to be in the introduction part.

I read the thread. You seemed to feel stuck and lost in your last post.
This thread helped me (I am stuck as well in some other ways that I will perhaps explain in my 2nd or 3rd post in this form) and I felt an urge to write something right now.
I wanted to thank you. You've helped a person. I'll try to do the same if it's still relevant.

There is a section in TMF where MJ talks about focusing on one business only.
Like in marriage, as soon as you get married / start your business, every (woman/other idea) looks attractive.

You may need to make a choice, but this choice has to be a solid one.
Thoughts are terrible. They evaporate as easily as they come.
You may need to write down your decision and put it somewhere visible.

Since you have a financially comfortable and demanding work, it is hard to set aside time for something else. Somewhere in the forums people recommended getting up early to work on the business.

MJ also mentioned somewhere in the forum that this (the comfort) is the reason he didn't want a graduate job, and chose to work in not desirable jobs.

If you still have the reasons (excuses?) of comfortable and demanding work pecking you when you try to focus on the business, maybe you just don't want it badly enough yet.
(Remember the dog lying on the nail from Unscripted ?)

If you DO want it, here are some things that I learned and have helped me in the past:

1. Set a big goal (e.g. finish that photography website),
2. Separate it into small tasks. Tasks that you can see yourself starting and finishing.
If something's too big, split into more.
(Might be easy in a text editor)
3. Take one task off the list and put it in-front of you. The other tasks put away.
4. Do that task.
5. Next task. etc.

Avoid a pitfall - don't make that website perfect. Make it complete.
It'll never be perfect to you. You will never finish.
Make the person who needs it satisfied.

Complete it, let the market judge, improve, repeat.

I'll put a quote from TMF that I liked so much that I created it as a desktop background:
"Commitment is to work on your business seven days a week, whenever time permits"

I hope this helps.

P.S. I think I should change my forum name..

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I guess it's probably a good time to take a look back on 2018.

Short answer: I still haven't committed and I'm still selling myself short.

I haven't really been that active lately as I feel like I don't really have much to say. Sometimes I don't feel worthy of being a part of such an elite group of people.

In fact, the universe seems to keep speaking to me. As you may (or may not) remember from my initial post, a friend's cousin told me I was selling myself short in the job that I work. That comment has stuck with me all of this time, but I can't seem to break out of my rut. I was talking to someone a few days ago who told me I was way too smart to be in the job that I am in. It's not to pat myself on the back, but it's like the universe is subtly reminding me that I'm not living up to my potential.

Going into 2018, I was like, "hell yeah, this is my year!" I was super motivated to start fresh. That lasted a whole couple weeks and I fell back on my ways of not getting anything done. That has persisted throughout the entire rest of the year.

In March, my wife and I had an amazingly awesome baby girl. She is the highlight of my life. I never knew I could love another person as much as I love that little girl. She can be a lot of work, but at the end of the day, seeing her smile and laugh and watching her discover the world gives me so much joy.

As far as fastlane goes, I've been a complete failure. I planned on doing more web design work, but I'm terrible at cold emailing and cold calling to the point where I don't want to do it. I don't like receiving them so it's hard for me to justify doing it to someone else. I ended up getting one paid site through my work. That should be finished in the next month as I'm waiting on some information. I did one free site that I'm not crazy about and I have 2 other free sites that I could do. Other than that, I don't have any other plans going forward with it. I don't know how I'm going to proceed or if I'm just going to try to figure out something else. It has been a struggle for me to figure out how I can really break free from a full-time job that I don't like.

After many, many hours of thought, I decided to go ahead and shut down my government contracting business. I didn't work on it at all in 2018. I didn't see a way forward with it and I think I got into it for the wrong reasons. It's too hard to try to run a business when it's a race to the lowest bid. It's not really worth it to profit $3 on a $400 order. Others may do well with it and know how to navigate the government more than I did. I'm not saying it can't be done. I personally didn't get it done. I didn't put myself out there enough.

I submitted the paperwork to the state last week and now I'm waiting to get it back to close out everything else. It's time to start fresh and figure out the next step.

I'm not sure what 2019 is going to bring. I've been trying to reduce the amount of stress in my life to try to clear up my mind. When I read the other posts of people making their way forward, I tell myself it really shouldn't be this hard. For me, it has been.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Some tips:

1) I make each Monday a “New Year”. Draw a line in the sand. Write down ONE thing you want to achieve that week, no matter how small, and then get it done.

Next Monday do the same.

Keep putting one foot in front of the other.

2) Cold calling I’m not so fussed about. Cold emailing though...

Think about how someone could be struggling at this very moment and you have the skills or the time to help them.

Are you doing them a disservice by not reaching out to them?

Check out the podcast at Quickmail.io. It’s not about spamming people, overselling, or getting on people’s nerves. It’s about building relationships.

It’s also about being smarter about what type of business you want to build, and reaching out to ideal clients.

Cold emailing for service businesses

Also check out my inbound braindump in my signature.

3) Do you have the right “Why”?
Don’t beat yourself up about “lack of motivation”. Maybe you’ve not found the right why yet. Maybe try helping people locally and seeing the impact it has on their lives? Maybe that can give you a stronger why.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Some tips:

1) I make each Monday a “New Year”. Draw a line in the sand. Write down ONE thing you want to achieve that week, no matter how small, and then get it done.

Next Monday do the same.

Keep putting one foot in front of the other.

2) Cold calling I’m not so fussed about. Cold emailing though...

Think about how someone could be struggling at this very moment and you have the skills or the time to help them.

Are you doing them a disservice by not reaching out to them?

Check out the podcast at Quickmail.io. It’s not about spamming people, overselling, or getting on people’s nerves. It’s about building relationships.

It’s also about being smarter about what type of business you want to build, and reaching out to ideal clients.

Cold emailing for service businesses

Also check out my inbound braindump in my signature.

3) Do you have the right “Why”?
Don’t beat yourself up about “lack of motivation”. Maybe you’ve not found the right why yet. Maybe try helping people locally and seeing the impact it has on their lives? Maybe that can give you a stronger why.

1) Right now, I don't know what I want to achieve. I know the short-term end game is to create a business that allows me to quit my job and live comfortably while supporting my family, to not have to worry about not having enough money, and to just live a more fulfilling life. I don't know how I'm going to get there, though. I don't know what that ONE thing is that is going to make me feel like I'm on the right path if I just keep pushing forward. I'm at a standstill at step zero.

It could be web design, but, I guess, I don't feel creative enough. I design a site and like it, but then I hate it. I let people down too much telling them I'll work on it and then I take forever because my full-time job wears me down mentally to the point where I need a day or two to recharge. I get nothing done and that goes on for weeks while I'm constantly trying to recharge because I'm so tired all the time.

There was a period where I was spending a good part of a week working on a website. The more I worked on it, the more things started to click, and the more motivated I was to keep working on it. Then, I got to a point where I wasn't satisfied with the way a section was working out and it put the brakes on. Now, I haven't worked on it in a couple weeks because I'm waiting on some information before I can finish it. I have people relying on me to get it done.

In the meantime, I could be working on other sites that I want to work on for others, but I don't because I don't feel like there is an incentive there. I'm not going to get paid to do them and I'm not even sure I want to keep doing web design for it to matter. All of this back and forth in my brain is putting me into a rut.

2) You're right. I have the wrong mindset. I think part of it is that I am subconsciously avoiding having to deal with people or put myself out there. Sometimes I wonder if I could find something in the beginning where I don't have to deal with people all the time. It's kind of like I deal with people's problems so often while I'm at work, that when I'm home, I don't want to be around people for a little while. It's a problem that is holding me back. It's one of those things that I will have to get over if I want to succeed.

3) I don't know what my "why" is. It's probably all superficial. I'm just unfulfilled and want to live a better life free from stress and worry. I want to be able to do what I want to do, when I want to do it, and where I want to do it. I'm so tired of dealing with disrespectful people, leaders who aren't leaders, and small-minded thinkers.

Two ideas that constantly stick in my head are a book I would like to write and a website I would like to build. The website seems to be the one thing that is in the lead for things I want to do, but I don't know how to design it. I'm thinking of Python, but I just don't know where to begin. I know the basics of Python from the thousands of beginner programs that are out there, but I haven't found anything that goes into more advanced programming. I could pay someone to do it too, but I'm not sure how much that would cost.

All-in-all, I just don't know where to turn. It seems so easy for everyone else.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
1) Right now, I don't know what I want to achieve. I know the short-term end game is to create a business that allows me to quit my job and live comfortably while supporting my family, to not have to worry about not having enough money, and to just live a more fulfilling life. I don't know how I'm going to get there, though. I don't know what that ONE thing is that is going to make me feel like I'm on the right path if I just keep pushing forward. I'm at a standstill at step zero.

It could be web design, but, I guess, I don't feel creative enough. I design a site and like it, but then I hate it. I let people down too much telling them I'll work on it and then I take forever because my full-time job wears me down mentally to the point where I need a day or two to recharge. I get nothing done and that goes on for weeks while I'm constantly trying to recharge because I'm so tired all the time.

There was a period where I was spending a good part of a week working on a website. The more I worked on it, the more things started to click, and the more motivated I was to keep working on it. Then, I got to a point where I wasn't satisfied with the way a section was working out and it put the brakes on. Now, I haven't worked on it in a couple weeks because I'm waiting on some information before I can finish it. I have people relying on me to get it done.

In the meantime, I could be working on other sites that I want to work on for others, but I don't because I don't feel like there is an incentive there. I'm not going to get paid to do them and I'm not even sure I want to keep doing web design for it to matter. All of this back and forth in my brain is putting me into a rut.

2) You're right. I have the wrong mindset. I think part of it is that I am subconsciously avoiding having to deal with people or put myself out there. Sometimes I wonder if I could find something in the beginning where I don't have to deal with people all the time. It's kind of like I deal with people's problems so often while I'm at work, that when I'm home, I don't want to be around people for a little while. It's a problem that is holding me back. It's one of those things that I will have to get over if I want to succeed.

3) I don't know what my "why" is. It's probably all superficial. I'm just unfulfilled and want to live a better life free from stress and worry. I want to be able to do what I want to do, when I want to do it, and where I want to do it. I'm so tired of dealing with disrespectful people, leaders who aren't leaders, and small-minded thinkers.

Two ideas that constantly stick in my head are a book I would like to write and a website I would like to build. The website seems to be the one thing that is in the lead for things I want to do, but I don't know how to design it. I'm thinking of Python, but I just don't know where to begin. I know the basics of Python from the thousands of beginner programs that are out there, but I haven't found anything that goes into more advanced programming. I could pay someone to do it too, but I'm not sure how much that would cost.

All-in-all, I just don't know where to turn. It seems so easy for everyone else.

You seem to be inward facing, and this may be why you're stuck?

Who have you helped recently?

I believe that business owners end up having to answer the questions below. For me it's been an iterative process of refining to get there, but these are questions you should start thinking about.
  1. Who do you help?
  2. What do you help them with?
  3. How do you do it?

Some threads that may help:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content