The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would I be selling myself short?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
I sell instrumentals online to music artists.

I've recently decided to change my business model from selling non-exclusive licenses only to exclusive licenses only (non-exclusive licenses are sold over & over....exclusive licenses are only sold once).

Reason being:

1. Exclusives are more valuable & can be sold for higher prices
2. Exclusive only would differentiate me from the 99% that do non-exclusives
3. Provides true scarcity/urgency/fomo....once its gone, its gone
4. Better business practice

None of the biggest, successful music producers do non-exclusive licenses where they're selling 1 beat to multiple different artists. They're not going to let 100+ different songs be made with the same beat unless its a challenge or contest or something.

The problem I'm having is deciding the price because I've never sold an exclusive, only non-exclusives.

I'm aiming for $100-500 and I'd still keep my publishing & still own the copyright for the instrumentals.

And these are pre-made beats that can be bought from my website.

I want to price them so that they sell consistently without charging too little or too much.

What are your thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Here are a couple of questions that sprung to my mind while reading your thread and thinking about it. Maybe they can help you figure out your next step.

How much do exclusive beats sell for usually? Assuming you aren't a big name producer.

See how other people price their beats, see how quickly they sell them, and then make your own calculations.

Who buys exclusive beats? Artists who are starting to get noticed by the masses? Wealthy kids who want to make a song for the hell of it? Seasoned veterans of the music industry? Or newbies who are willing to invest some cash to get started in the field?

How much are these people willing to pay for an exclusive beat? I feel like you want your prices to be around the middle of the range you proposed, so roughly $300 for a beat. Anything below $200 feels on the cheap side for an exclusive beat.

Slightly unrelated: do you only sell the beat or also offer mixing of the track once recorded?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I sell instrumentals online to music artists.

I've recently decided to change my business model from selling non-exclusive licenses only to exclusive licenses only (non-exclusive licenses are sold over & over....exclusive licenses are only sold once).

Reason being:

1. Exclusives are more valuable & can be sold for higher prices
2. Exclusive only would differentiate me from the 99% that do non-exclusives
3. Provides true scarcity/urgency/fomo....once its gone, its gone
4. Better business practice

None of the biggest, successful music producers do non-exclusive licenses where they're selling 1 beat to multiple different artists. They're not going to let 100+ different songs be made with the same beat unless its a challenge or contest or something.

The problem I'm having is deciding the price because I've never sold an exclusive, only non-exclusives.

I'm aiming for $100-500 and I'd still keep my publishing & still own the copyright for the instrumentals.

I want to price them so that they sell consistently without charging too little or too much.

What are your thoughts?
The biggest issue is if the market is big enough. Because you will be selling to a smaller niche with more budget.

Pricing wise..Is there an industry benchmark? How much are others charging?

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
Here are a couple of questions that sprung to my mind while reading your thread and thinking about it. Maybe they can help you figure out your next step.

How much do exclusive beats sell for usually? Assuming you aren't a big name producer.

See how other people price their beats, see how quickly they sell them, and then make your own calculations.

Who buys exclusive beats? Artists who are starting to get noticed by the masses? Wealthy kids who want to make a song for the hell of it? Seasoned veterans of the music industry? Or newbies who are willing to invest some cash to get started in the field?

How much are these people willing to pay for an exclusive beat? I feel like you want your prices to be around the middle of the range you proposed, so roughly $300 for a beat. Anything below $200 feels on the cheap side for an exclusive beat.

Slightly unrelated: do you only sell the beat or also offer mixing of the track once recorded?

Pricing wise..Is there an industry benchmark? How much are others charging?

Pricing varies...I've seen as low as $75 & as high as $1000 & up.

The lowest I would accept for an exclusive beat is $150. I have seen beats priced $100 - 300 selling more often than higher priced beats.

And btw, we're talking pre-made exclusive beats not custom.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.