The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Sell-Me Saturday is Now Live!

Have something to sell? Like to post a video from your YouTube channel? Want to promote your design service? Recommend a company? SELL-ME SATURDAY is your opportunity to self-promote whatever you'd like within the realm of entrepreneurship on one central thread... and at no cost. Go There
    Note: Indiscriminate SEO backlinking to questionable material is not allowed.
  • It's back! As an INSIDER you can now SORT any thread by LIKES. See this post for more info.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

Cold emailing for service businesses

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland

CareCPA

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania

Bekit

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 13, 2018
@CareCPA @Bekit @Nicoknowsbest ... I think you'll like this podcast.
Thanks for the recommendation, @Andy Black ! I pulled it up the other day and they had me at "Imagine you're a freleance logo designer. How would you use cold email to land all the A-list clients that you could handle?" But I couldn't listen to the whole thing that day.

Just now got to finish it and OH MY GOODNESS THAT WAS VALUABLE.

So thank you for thinking of me and tagging me to check it out. 100% worth it. Lots of great stuff to use.

Charnell

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 12, 2014
South Dakota
Been subscribed and listening to them for a little bit, working my way backward. Really like the teardown episodes.

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for the recommendation, @Andy Black ! I pulled it up the other day and they had me at "Imagine you're a freleance logo designer. How would you use cold email to land all the A-list clients that you could handle?" But I couldn't listen to the whole thing that day.

Just now got to finish it and OH MY GOODNESS THAT WAS VALUABLE.

So thank you for thinking of me and tagging me to check it out. 100% worth it. Lots of great stuff to use.
What were your biggest takeaways?

What will you do different going forward?

PizzaOnTheRoof

1% Better Every Day
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Very good episode. Here are my takeaways:

1) Speaking the language of your potential clients. Budget, size of the company, and the market will determine how you should speak to a potential client.

Maybe they're a smaller company, so stability and ROI might be most important. You wouldn't want to try and sell them a fast, slash & burn style marketing strategy.

Clever to look at job postings of the companies to see how they speak and what phrases you can use in your emails.​

2) The "smart scarcity" bit. Make them feel like it's a once in a lifetime opportunity without sounding desperate or scammy.

"I've got room for one more client this month and would love to chat...or should I go ahead and just close out this month and keep you posted?"

"I noticed you've got an opening for a marketer, is bringing on an experienced freelancer worth a chat?"
3) Persistence pays off. They might not want your services this month or the next, but 6 months from now you'll probably be at the top of mind.

4) Don't ask to be hired, ask if they know anyone else who may need your services. This lowers everyone's guard while keeping the conversation going. Pulling vs Pushing.

Will be putting this into practice tomorrow!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom