The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Career: Hedge Fund/Portfolio Management Vs entrepreneurship

anarchotrader

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 10, 2011
hedge funds

Hi guys. Im new to the forum (1st post). Just like AZ, I am also looking to get into the asset management business and trading has been something ive been studying in my spare time for a couple of years.

Looking at the forbes billionaire list, you can see that its teeming with individuals who have made billions investing on the behalf of others and its possible. Also good to see that fund manager John Arnold, is the 14th yougest billionaire on the list at age 37
The World's Billionaires - Forbes.com (list source in alphabetical order and skip to page 48 to 51)

The route ive found that most Hedge Fund managers follow is school -> uni (preferrable a quantitative degree from a top uni) -> join an investment bank/asset manager before finally starting up their own. Ofcourse there are exceptions.

A few years ago i decided i wanted to be rich and looked at what jobs provide the highest salaries. Seeing that hedgies topped the list and after a bit of research i was sold and decided that becoming a hedge fund manager was my goal. Currently im studying Maths and Economics at LSE (luckily i have a scholarship so wont be leaving with massive student debt), Head the HF division within the finance society etc which should help me thru the traditional route i described above.

There are many ways to trade but personally ive chosen to take a quantitative approach to trading (creating mechanical systems based on price/time/volume and using computers to test, improve and possibly automate) as it suits my pesonality.

Trading seems to me to be something that may appeal to a lot of fastlaners because it can: provide a (semi)passive source of income (trading end-of-day + longer timeframe strategies/automated trading/managed accounts), reduce the time it takes to reach retirement by improving risk adjusted returns (higher yielding money system thus a lower money system target). IMO both my money system and business system could be related to trading.

I have a few ideas others could add to?

business system- trading education (DVDs, seminars, membership site etc), trading signals/picks (nightly newsletter), managed accounts ( i.e covestor ) , consulting, running a HF
money system- replaces/supplements "traditional" investments- cash, bonds, "buy and hold", mutual funds etc

I just started a blog which i will use to share my ideas, track my trades (+ build a track record). Im hoping this will help me network with other like minded bloggers and be a way to offer future products/services to potential customers/clients.

To be honest id love if i could skip the steps of finishing school and working for someone else for a few years (are there any possible short cuts that arnt visible on my roadmap).

If anyone has any questions or experience/advice that may help me achieve my goal, please feel free to contact me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.