The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Billionaire Ray Dalio: Meditation is ‘the single most important reason' for my success

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
I've starting meditating since I read the Miracle Morning in October last year. It has helped me a lot. I feel more calm and when I'm meditating I often get a good idea in my head about something I should be doing in my business.

I recommend the book Headspace if you want to learn more about meditating and how to do it properly.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

William

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 15, 2012
I actually like his newer book better, A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose.

Almost done this book. Fantastic! I’ve read Power of Now and I like A New Earth better as well. I will read it over again.

I realized by reading this book and listening to Tolle, how challenging it is to:

1. Stay in, accept, and not resist the moment
2. Not judge and label things

I’m slowly becoming more aware of when I’m identifying with my mind and emotions - thus making me more present. Becoming aware of my awareness is keeping me grounded. This is a continual process and it’s empowering. I have much more energy from somewhere deep.

In the past, I’ve struggled with strong identification with my emotions and thoughts. Now, I observe those things, accept that a feeling or thought may exist, then let it subside. Some moments are more challenging than others - but I also know that my presence/awareness is growing.

I’ve meditated consistently for years now - using a technique from Dr. Robert Anthony.

Sometimes, I feel a bit boxed in with meditation. You know - sit down - close eyes - do this or that. But that’s me though. I know TM works for a lot of people. Haven’t tried it.

I’ve had some drama in my life and strong identification with my mind replaying events or beliefs - Tolle’s teaching has been the most effective/practical for me.

1. Mind goes into whatever thought or story
2. Observe it - realize you are not your thoughts, emotions, life situation, etc. but the awareness.
3. Honor what is, the moment, accept it - don’t resist
4. Great presence will emanate.

That has been my form of meditation.

Oprah has a great series with Tolle called Super Soul Conversations - look it up on Spotify or Apple podcast. They just finished the series. Episode 10 - the last one - is fantastic.

Also check this out. Warning: Tolle talks sloooow. His laugh is awkward but funny as ever haha. All that said, he is effective at communicating his points:

View: https://youtu.be/A1kwBuEr7y4

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Meditation is kind of like going to the gym. We know it's good for you and the evidence says it will improve your well-being. And yet people don't do it and are very resistant to it.

Just to kind of sell people on it, meditation gives you an insight to your inner life. It brings awareness to the very emotional and thought nexuses that hold you back in life.

Look how 99% of our world lives. No self-awareness and zero self-reflection. We direct our attention outward way too much. If it's true that the kingdom of heaven exists within then nobody will ever find it because we are too busy looking outward instead of inward.

The other day I was at a parking lot and these two ladies were lashing out at each other over a stupid parking spot.

Anything by Osho is a good start.

Not Most People

"If everyone else is doing it, its probably wrong"
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 28, 2019
Scottsdale, AZ
I used to be in the anti-meditation camp and think it was all "woo-woo" b.s., but as I started following successful people I realized so many of them talked about how big of a role meditation/visualization played in their success. When I see a trend like that by successful people, I tend to give it credibility. Then I went to a big self-development seminar and that is what really turned me onto the idea of meditation/priming and I have made it an important part of my day since. It has been extremely useful in clearing my head and prioritizing, particularly because I spend a lot of time in my own head with the brain going 100mph.

My question for everyone out there though is this: what helps you get into the "best" meditative state? I find sometimes I'm able to get much deeper into than others. The only correlation I've been able to see is that getting into an excited/energized physical/mental state helps me sink deeper. For example, post-workout or after listening and dancing to high energy music I'm able to sink into a much deeper meditation. Anyone else notice this? It's like higher your energy before the deeper you can go during

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
I don't read much anymore

Ninjakid - if you are not reading, I sure hope you are listening to books, podcasts, etc ...
Life is way too short to NOT learn by others mistakes, experience and knowledge!

Doing is critical, but so is continuous learning

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Ninjakid - if you are not reading, I sure hope you are listening to books, podcasts, etc ...
Life is way too short to NOT learn by others mistakes, experience and knowledge!

Doing is critical, but so is continuous learning
Life is too short to always be reading haha.

IMO you learn by doing. Sure you can always fill your head with more information, but then what do you have? Just everything in your head. I only read if it's absolutely relevant to what I'm doing.

I'd rather listen to music than books and podcasts.

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
interesting. Arnold Schwarzenegger says he did TM as well in his bio Total Recall. Jerry Seinfeld is a big promoter of TM as well.
Indeed, and many others. Best investment I've made of my time in years (possibly ever) - wished I'd done it years ago. I could never get Zen or Buddhist meditation to stick as a habit. TM took 7 days, and has paid massive physical as well as mental dividends.

domi99

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 13, 2014
Indeed, and many others. Best investment I've made of my time in years (possibly ever) - wished I'd done it years ago. I could never get Zen or Buddhist meditation to stick as a habit. TM took 7 days, and has paid massive physical as well as mental dividends.
Nigel - thanks for your comment. How did you get started with TM? Is there a good Book/ online course you could recommend?

I found many books on that topic on Amazon, however most books talk about the benefits instead of describing a way how to get started.

Thanks

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
I will second what Nigel B said and the value of TM. I have only been doing it for a week now but the effects and results have me sold on the value of TM. domi99 you need to go to a TM center to learn it through a certified teacher. Online and books do explain the benefits and some of the science behind the practice but there really is value in doing it through the TM center. It is easy but it is the simple things that make all the difference. Having a mentor and others to practice with gets you on the right path. Yes it is a sizable upfront fee or 4 monthly payments to your CC but in my eyes worth it. I have tried many other techniques and TM is leaps an bounds above them in my opinion. The last catch is to get the benefit you need to do it twice a day for 20 minutes.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
I will second what Nigel B said and the value of TM. I have only been doing it for a week now but the effects and results have me sold on the value of TM. domi99 you need to go to a TM center to learn it through a certified teacher. Online and books do explain the benefits and some of the science behind the practice but there really is value in doing it through the TM center. It is easy but it is the simple things that make all the difference. Having a mentor and others to practice with gets you on the right path. Yes it is a sizable upfront fee or 4 monthly payments to your CC butt in my eyes worth it. I have tried many other techniques and TM is leaps an bounds above them in my opinion. The last catch is to get the benefit you need to do it twice a day for 20 minutes.

what benefits are you referring to exactly that are better than being present or focusing for 20-30min 2-3 times per day?

Have you ever done any meditation, either vipassana, or Ekchart Tolle 'presence' type meditation before TM? How far did you get with that before learning TM? I want to know the difference before I go spend a little over $1k to learn sometime I already know.

The testimonials from people like Ray and Swarschenegger really make me believe it's great but then again I don't know if they ever practiced meditation of any kind prior to TM. For all I know it's basic meditation with great marketing and branding.

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
TM is an organization, it is a business for sure - but does use fees to serve the under-served - so...

Bottom-line, true TM is taught 1-on-1, over a 4 day period by a certified trainer. You are then 'part of the club' - you can go anywhere in the world and work with another trainer should you want to 'check-in' and get more of the basic instruction. The books do only tell you the benefits.

I only got involved after hearing Ray's opinion on it, and some other people I have respect for. Initially I trained with my daughter who suffers from anxiety and depression - for which it has some proven solid results in reducing and eliminating medication. I went along so she was comfortable doing the training.

Came out thinking "Wow, that cost a grand ..." (price varies based on your income, that's the most anyone pays - students are about $350). But figured with the money spent, it was worth trying it - as noted, wish I'd done it years ago. Daughter is having good results too, as is my wife - son is waiting to get trained when his schedule frees up.

Can you get the same benefits from other types of meditation - may be, but as I say I never managed to get other methods to stick. Someone suggested the front end cost was the reason I'd persevered - but actually I continued because it was easy to do do and delivered amazing results, physical and mental.

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
For all I know it's basic meditation with great marketing and branding.
Valid concern. It is mantra meditation, in theory the mantra is matched to the individual - I am not a certified trainer as it takes 5 months cut-off from the outside world to become certified - I might do that if I am ever a widower but other than that, not happening.

My post above (which I got distracted from, and sat unposted for a couple of days) covers the rest. Happy to take offline the physical benefits I have experienced which I have never seen through other methods. It's a bit trippy, some people seem to disbelieve it - but given I get exactly nothing from recommending it ... PM if you want more details.

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
what benefits are you referring to exactly that are better than being present or focusing for 20-30min 2-3 times per day?

Have you ever done any meditation, either vipassana, or Ekchart Tolle 'presence' type meditation before TM? How far did you get with that before learning TM? I want to know the difference before I go spend a little over $1k to learn sometime I already know.

The testimonials from people like Ray and Swarschenegger really make me believe it's great but then again I don't know if they ever practiced meditation of any kind prior to TM. For all I know it's basic meditation with great marketing and branding.
I had not tried vipassana or ET type meditations. If what you are doing is giving your good results then stick with it. The term "good results" is relative for all of us. For me I tried TM as a way to reduce the stress of having my mind racing with all the tasks I have or need to do. I also wanted to be able to reduce my mind "chatter" to make better decisions in life. In a short time TM has done that for me. There is nothing magical about it. The key is doing the technique correctly twice a day. Maybe paying the fee and having a group to begin your practice of TM makes you have "skin" in the game and gets you off to a better start? I have not talked to anyone who took TM who hasn't said it brought them some benefits. Others in my starting 4 sessions speak of being more calm, sleeping better, reduced grief of loved ones they recently lost, energy, etc.

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
In short is TM worth it? my answer is a definite yes - however if you have techniques that work for you or the cost of the course will cause you more stress then maybe it’s not for you at the moment. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
So I went online looking for the actual procedure. Ignoring the idea that any mantra actually makes any difference, I've been doing some meditation with that procedure.

The idea is that I focus on the sound of my mantra as I say it in my head, but without controlling it. Just letting the sounds go, almost like just looking at the memory of it, allowing it to come and go.

I'm really not sure why, but this type of meditation really does feel like a 'spa for my brain'. Mindfulness or being present also does have some great effects, but it takes practice to develop. Being present, observing thoughts in order to let them go / detatch from them, or focusing on a real sound, a spot on a wall, a candle flame...etc or the feeling of *now*...etc these things are powerful too for calming the mind and revealing thought patterns, even realities about life which are otherwise unseen.

With the procedure I followed, basically described above, it was very different in that there is less 'meta' analysis going on. It's more like being asleep, more relaxing, more rejuvenating. I know there's more to it, but that alone is really really cool to experience.

All this being said, I think it makes sense, for me, to 'stack' meditation practices to get more overall benefits from it.

15-20 minute of this mantra-style meditation twice a day, 5 minutes of mindfulness sprinkled throughout the day. Perhaps even another 20 minutes of straight mindfulness somewhere in there. I haven't actually done this but it's worth giving a good test to see how it affects me.

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
For my wife and I to do our twice a day TM I picked up some very comfortable and cheap (99) chairs from Ikea. Set them up in our Casita which is also our workout room and love it.
264d9a15da83f4dac02d4de4a1bdf11e.jpg

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
So, one day I went to this meditation retreat.

As I walked in the instructor told us to sit on the yoga mats. I did sitting criss-cross applesauce or Indian style or whatever you want to call it. I was thinking everybody was going to hold hands and sing kumbayah for a moment.

The speakers started playing this nature music with birds chirping.

The instructor started telling us to slowly breathe with deep breaths in and out and in and out. Next to focus on our heart beats. Then the sensations of our legs and down to our feet then back up our body.

After a while she said to go to our happy place. I tried to go to my happy place but I ended up in this dark icy cave. Inside the cave was Marla Singer.

I immediately woke up.

After the class was finished, people kept telling me, "Nice to you, sir. You're doing great things, sir."

I was utterly confused.

I went home.

As I opened the door I saw Brad Pitt with a shaved head looking at me.

He only needed one thing to say, "I'm Tyler Durden. We need to talk"

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
So I went online looking for the actual procedure. Ignoring the idea that any mantra actually makes any difference, I've been doing some meditation with that procedure ....
Whatever works for you. This is not about what is the best method, it's entirely about what you can develop as habit, and delivers a significant benefit both mentally and physically.

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
I went to the TM center once in my city and never went through with it. I went to an intro class. Its something that I have wanted to do for over 15 years, and never have done it. Its good to hear about all of the success people have had with it.

Lately, I have experienced a lot of business stress; my last company was bought out in a hostile takeover and my office(which I led) was closed, and I have just left a high stress, extremely negative environment I am happy to be away from now.

I have used Headspace a lot. Back in the 90's when I started with meditation, I learned from a book written in the 70's, which taught me to count my breaths. I would count every exhale up to 4, and repeat. e.g. exhale 1, exhale 2, exhale 3, exhale 4, repeat.

Headspace and 'mindfulness' is hard for me to do. My mind wanders, I am easily distracted, I fall asleep. I may go back to the breath counting, or look back into TM.

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
I am easily distracted, I fall asleep. I may go back to the breath counting, or look back into TM.
Distracted - not really a problem with TM (very different from other meditation).
Falling asleep - can be an issue, but that is a cry for rest from your body so is not a bad thing!
Overtime TM will help with a lack of proper sleep as it provides the body with physical rest in a way that (as far as I can tell) other meditation does not.
But as you can tell from this thread, I am a rabid convert - YMMV.
Good luck!
2, 3, 4 and "sleeeeep"

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
I am now just over two months into doing TM faithfully twice a day and can say without a doubt it is the best investment I have ever made! I recommend it to anyone I meet who is overloaded and stressed. Those who say they don’t have 20 minutes to meditate are the o es who need it the most.

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
I am now just over two months into doing TM faithfully twice a day and can say without a doubt it is the best investment I have ever made! I recommend it to anyone I meet who is overloaded and stressed. Those who say they don’t have 20 minutes to meditate are the o es who need it the most.

May have missed this above, but did you try Headspace or Calm before TM, and can you share any differences?

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
I did try Calm App, Insight Timer app as well as meditation from yoga teachers at the Lifetime gym. For me the benefit of TM is much deeper and more lasting than any other. With all others I would often get distracted by "mind chatter and thoughts" Sitting on the ground made my back hurt after about 15 minutes which also distracted me. You do TM in a comfortable chair. With others every noise and thought would constantly distract me and take away the benefits. With TM it is helpful to be in a secure and semi quite space but total quietness is not required. With TM there is a more lasting "calm" effect that has been noticed by others. I look forward to taking the 20 minutes to do TM first thing in the morning and when arriving home in the afternoon. There has been times where I wasn't asleep but time just passed without me knowing.

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
With others every noise and thought would constantly distract me and take away the benefits. With TM it is helpful to be in a secure and semi quite space but total quietness is not required. With TM there is a more lasting "calm" effect that has been noticed by others.

That's what I found with Headspace, I can't just sit and empty my thoughts, I need an activity or rhythm to follow. Howard Stern used to talk at length about TM a long time ago. He's a big advocate. I think I just need to pony up and do it.

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
I had my wife start with me and now I am having my son (21) try it. you can pay with a CC and they take the payments over 4 months. Once you start you can attend their "meetups" and session checking for life at no extra cost. There are "retreats" and an advance class that you can do after practicing awhile that costs extra but otherwise you have access to their website and teachers for life. I didn't know Howard Stern did TM but now that I think about him he did always have a relaxed calm about him. Reach out to me if I can help you in anyway. I am in Vegas by the way.

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
I had my wife start with me and now I am having my son (21) try it. you can pay with a CC and they take the payments over 4 months. Once you start you can attend their "meetups" and session checking for life at no extra cost. There are "retreats" and an advance class that you can do after practicing awhile that costs extra but otherwise you have access to their website and teachers for life. I didn't know Howard Stern did TM but now that I think about him he did always have a relaxed calm about him. Reach out to me if I can help you in anyway. I am in Vegas by the way.

thanks for the intel, I am in NYC, and the TM center her is near me. Next time I'm on the strip I'll give you a shout.

JamesQB8

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 20, 2019

Guest921Y

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!