The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best books on Marketing/Branding?

Marketing, social media, advertising

lol

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 1, 2022
I used to ask $4 to take advice but now I will take advice for $2 for a limited time ;) I was reading MJ's books and it seems that marketing/branding is important. I believe this is the next skill I need to develop along with selling. Trying to take it one step at a time though.

I will say, I haven't read the rat race escape or unscripted yet, and I hear rat race escape has some ideologies in there that could help me out. Would rat race escape be enough? Are there more recommendations out there?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
I used to ask $4 to take advice but now I will take advice for $2 for a limited time ;) I was reading MJ's books and it seems that marketing/branding is important. I believe this is the next skill I need to develop along with selling. Trying to take it one step at a time though.

I will say, I haven't read the rat race escape or unscripted yet, and I hear rat race escape has some ideologies in there that could help me out. Would rat race escape be enough? Are there more recommendations out there?
Have you got a product/service that you could maybe sell? You'll learn far much more than reading a book about it & not applying it to something

lol

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 1, 2022
Have you got a product/service that you could maybe sell? You'll learn far much more than reading a book about it & not applying it to something
I've got a service that I can sell, I'm putting up a few finishing touches before I start selling. Is it better to go in and try to sell the product and get feedback first?

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

This is Marketing by Seth Godin
Kick a$$ Copywriting Secrets of a Marketing Rebel by John Carlton
Boron Letters by Gary Halbert
Jab Jab Jab Right Hook by Gary Vee
Scientific Advertising by Claude Hopkins
Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene Schwartz
The Robert Collier Letterbook
Alchemy by Rory Sutherland
Napoleon Hill Think & Grow Rich

Read these 10 books in that order.

I've got a service that I can sell, I'm putting up a few finishing touches before I start selling. Is it better to go in and try to sell the product and get feedback first?
Yes, start selling. You’ll improve the service as you sell it.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Yes. Ready, FIRE, then aim, then repeat.

If you've to choose whether to spend $500 on books or launching a product, choose the latter.
Most books including the good ones, are good as bedtime stories, because the examples in the book can't be replicated by yourself (e.g: mainly because readers lack the specific/special circumstances those success stories in the book had). Try reading a book on how Nike's founder started Nike and blew it up into the brand it is today. Now, replicate that. Can you? How about Zappos' founder and the Zappos story, another brand which is always mentioned in entrepreneur books? LOL Same content just repackaged and sold in different ways.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

Be cautious with books on marketing/branding and selling.
There is a high chance that they'll send you on a spiral of action faking, since every book will expose some mistake you are making. Then you'll be tempted to read the next and then the next so you dont 'waste' time making mistakes.

I recommend you do a healthy mix of actions and reading.
What I mean is try to sell and market the product/service yourself for a month and then read a book. After that adjust your approach and be on your own for a month or two and then read another.
Experience is more important, find a mentor if you can, not more books.

That being said, I recommend "Inbound Marketing" and "How to win friens and influence people"

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 8, 2021
Yes. Ready, FIRE, then aim, then repeat.

If you've to choose whether to spend $500 on books or launching a product, choose the latter.
Most books including the good ones, are good as bedtime stories, because the examples in the book can't be replicated by yourself (e.g: mainly because readers lack the specific/special circumstances those success stories in the book had). Try reading a book on how Nike's founder started Nike and blew it up into the brand it is today. Now, replicate that. Can you? How about Zappos' founder and the Zappos story, another brand which is always mentioned in entrepreneur books? LOL Same content just repackaged and sold in different ways.
To be fair, I think the ending of Shoe Dog was beautifully poignant and probably the most memorable out of dozens of similar books I've read/listened to, and very much iterates what Freud stated that "One day in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful."

I agree though, self-help books are basically masturbation in literary form, you achieve that sense of accomplishment without doing the real thing, and it's just reaffirming what you already know/spoon-feeding you what you want to hear, which is a waste of time. Only pursuing action at the edge of your discomfort-zone cements true learning. As the adage goes; An ounce of practice is worth more than a ton of theory. If you know what you need to do (which we all do), stop procrastinating by staying in the comfort zone of theorizing and get doing uncomfortable stuff and embrace failure (coming from a serial procrastinator who read way too many books and got nowhere). Break shit first then fix it after. Ie) Go to toastmasters and allow yourself to be awkward, who gives a F*ck, instead of reading endless self-confidence books and never doing it.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
I'd think so, then when you come across something you're having trouble with, then maybe a book?

It's not bad to read, it's just that lots of people do it and use "just one more book" as an excuse to getting on with it

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo

$100m offers by Alex Hormozi. Probably the best book on crafting your offers with marketing, branding and positioning yourself as the expert in X in Y industry. You read that one and implement the exercises he gives you and you'll have a very strong foundation that'll put you ahead.

lol

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 1, 2022
$100m offers by Alex Hormozi. Probably the best book on crafting your offers with marketing, branding and positioning yourself as the expert in X in Y industry. You read that one and implement the exercises he gives you and you'll have a very strong foundation that'll put you ahead.
I've been watching alex lately, he's pretty good

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Just got the Kindle version of that book and currently halfway through. Is this book more for service type companies, such as those running workshops/seminars? Tbh, I've a very difficult time trying to apply his concepts on physical products. So if I'm selling tupperware / food containers, for example, what is the "dream outcome" for my customers? LOL Provide them with "feelings of well-being"? How does one even translate these concepts to reality?

Also, when selling tupperware, in this case, I doubt anyone is going to buy it if I price it at a "premium" price no matter how good the "perceived value" is (unless it can reverse aging or make you taller). A food container costs $2 but we should be selling them at $550 / pc on Amazon/own website by reducing the "time it takes to get to the destination" / "effort" etc (those 4 variables in his equation in the book) lol

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022

"

"Best Books On Marketing/Branding?"​

Marketing & branding without a big budget by R. Bhargava. Takes into consideration problems that small businesses have in post C0VlD-19 era.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Dan Kennedy

You can read his books, he also has a newsletter and course's.

Once you learn his stuff you'll soon realize how much others have copied him.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Give yourself a timeline on "finishing touches" otherwise they'll take weeks and then months and then "It was never the right time, just didn't work out, the stars weren't aligned.".

You'll learn more about markting by actually marketing than you will reading.

I say that Step 1 is to just do the thing.
Step 2 is to read ONE book.
Step 3 is to apply what you learned by doing the thing.

Then you repeat step 2&3.

You finished reading TMF . Now time to try to impliment what you learned before learning a new thing. When you look back in 3 years your future self will thank you for already having started.

Best wishes.

lol

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 1, 2022
Give yourself a timeline on "finishing touches" otherwise they'll take weeks and then months and then "It was never the right time, just didn't work out, the stars weren't aligned.".

You'll learn more about markting by actually marketing than you will reading.

I say that Step 1 is to just do the thing.
Step 2 is to read ONE book.
Step 3 is to apply what you learned by doing the thing.

Then you repeat step 2&3.

You finished reading TMF . Now time to try to impliment what you learned before learning a new thing. When you look back in 3 years your future self will thank you for already having started.

Best wishes.
thank you :) after I started reading unscripted , MJ finally roasted me enough times for me to understand that you are correct

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.