The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone listen to Jay-Z? Entrepreneurial lessons GALORE.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Jay-Z’s catalog is amazing. Besides being a critically acclaimed and award-winning musician, going through his catalog like a PhD is Fastlane Entrepreneurship. If you’re looking for some powerful entrepreneurial lessons, look no further than his discography. He’s Hip-Hop’s first self-made billionaire and he did it mostly through various business ventures; and most importantly his entire entrepreneurial journey from rags to riches is documented throughout his music.

Forbes –Jay-Z: A Lesson On The Power Of Entrepreneurial Capitalism

Wall Street Journal – The State of Jay-Z's Empire

I've been listening to his work since I was 16 years old (and still do) and I'd say he's hands-down one of the most influential figures in my life.

But the real value in his work is how well-documented it is through his music. Imagine there was a billionaire who kept a diary. Well that’s essentially what you have. A man who used music as his diary. And it's all stuffed into an entertaining, musical package. For the past 25 years, he’s taken all his thoughts and put them into music. His entire journey from poverty to obscene wealth is documented in his catalog.

Most fascinating to me is the attitude of ‘no excuses.’ He grew up in Marcy Projects, which is one of the single most dangerous and poverty-stricken neighborhoods in the United States. Growing up his situation was probably significantly worse than any of ours. But despite his bleak situation, he wanted to be financially successful. So he sold drugs to raise money to start a record label. He knew that there was good money in Hip-Hop as a product so he learned why some musicians sold tons of records, and why some musicians just sat on the shelves. While he does use music as a form of expression, he also knows that it’s a product – and in order for it to sell it has to be the best product.

Problem was - despite people liking his music – no record labels would sign him. The record execs just thought his style of music wouldn’t sell. So what did he do? Just started his own record label. I’ve always found it to be an inspirational lesson on not letting anything get in your way.

The way he works is a huge lesson in the Commandment of Control. To this day he owns all his own music. Most other musicians (even enormously successful ones) sign away the rights to their music then they get a percentage. Where Jay owns all his music. Where other artists may get 10-20% of what's sold he's getting more like 70% after expenses. And in the 2010’s when the music industry started changing and moving toward streaming services - he just started his own streaming service, which is now also very successful (Tidal.)

Anyway, whether of not you’re into that type of music I suggest giving it a chance. If you get past his bravado and braggy demeanor there’s actually tons and tons of wisdom there.

The 4 Powerful Business Secrets Jay-Z Reveals in Epic 4:44 Album

If you’re interested and don’t know where to start, I’d start with 4:44, The Black Album, The Blueprint or American Gangster. Reasonable Doubt is also amazing if you want to see his earlier work and understand the mindset of a young kid who will do whatever it takes to attain obscene success.

Otherwise you can head over to metacritic or ask below.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Well written @ChrisV and very interesting! I listened to Jay-Z a little growing up, but never took him that seriously or paid much attention to his lyrics. You have me intrigued. I shall check out 4:44.

kkoasdfawfqwe2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Feb 17, 2017
Europe
Full volume Jay-Z in the car always gets me fired up on my way to work.

Love how all the corporate monkeis in the parking lot are looking at me like "wtf is this teenager doing here, turn that shit down" :rofl:

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
So that Superbowl halftime show everyone is raving about? That was put together by one of Jay’s companies: Rocnation Entertainment; who now have a partnership with the NFL.

Also:

View: https://youtu.be/0OwnochBDfs

View: https://youtu.be/d-znKk6nHjE

Gonna write a post about all this tomorrow.

Last edited:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Jay-Z’s catalog is amazing. Besides being a critically acclaimed and award-winning musician, going through his catalog like a PhD is Fastlane Entrepreneurship. If you’re looking for some powerful entrepreneurial lessons, look no further than his discography. He’s Hip-Hop’s first self-made billionaire and he did it mostly through various business ventures; and most importantly his entire entrepreneurial journey from rags to riches is documented throughout his music.

Forbes –Jay-Z: A Lesson On The Power Of Entrepreneurial Capitalism

Wall Street Journal – The State of Jay-Z's Empire

I've been listening to his work since I was 16 years old (and still do) and I'd say he's hands-down one of the most influential figures in my life.

But the real value in his work is how well-documented it is through his music. Imagine there was a billionaire who kept a diary. Well that’s essentially what you have. A man who used music as his diary. And it's all stuffed into an entertaining, musical package. For the past 25 years, he’s taken all his thoughts and put them into music. His entire journey from poverty to obscene wealth is documented in his catalog.

Most fascinating to me is the attitude of ‘no excuses.’ He grew up in Marcy Projects, which is one of the single most dangerous and poverty-stricken neighborhoods in the United States. Growing up his situation was probably significantly worse than any of ours. But despite his bleak situation, he wanted to be financially successful. So he sold drugs to raise money to start a record label. He knew that there was good money in Hip-Hop as a product so he learned why some musicians sold tons of records, and why some musicians just sat on the shelves. While he does use music as a form of expression, he also knows that it’s a product – and in order for it to sell it has to be the best product.

Problem was - despite people liking his music – no record labels would sign him. The record execs just thought his style of music wouldn’t sell. So what did he do? Just started his own record label. I’ve always found it to be an inspirational lesson on not letting anything get in your way.

The way he works is a huge lesson in the Commandment of Control. To this day he owns all his own music. Most other musicians (even enormously successful ones) sign away the rights to their music then they get a percentage. Where Jay owns all his music. Where other artists may get 10-20% of what's sold he's getting more like 70% after expenses. And in the 2010’s when the music industry started changing and moving toward streaming services - he just started his own streaming service, which is now also very successful (Tidal.)

Anyway, whether of not you’re into that type of music I suggest giving it a chance. If you get past his bravado and braggy demeanor there’s actually tons and tons of wisdom there.

The 4 Powerful Business Secrets Jay-Z Reveals in Epic 4:44 Album

If you’re interested and don’t know where to start, I’d start with 4:44, The Black Album, The Blueprint or American Gangster. Reasonable Doubt is also amazing if you want to see his earlier work and understand the mindset of a young kid who will do whatever it takes to attain obscene success.

Otherwise you can head over to metacritic or ask below.
View attachment 29919

I have so much respect for JayZ, to come from the hood and to become a billionaire is one hell of a feat, especially as his music money makes up a relatively small proportion of that fortune.

I was very disappointed when I put up a thread about him being hip-hop's first billionaire, there were hardly any comments on it (you were one). Whereas a thread about one of the Kardashians making a billion had the whole TMFF gushing about how amazing she was, even though she was born a multi-millionaire.

Anyway, what's your favourite JayZ jam? I think mine's Onto The Next One

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAW6E0JUGCQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnuxcGaQPqU

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
Well written @ChrisV and very interesting! I listened to Jay-Z a little growing up, but never took him that seriously or paid much attention to his lyrics. You have me intrigued. I shall check out 4:44.
I certainly like his older stuff before The Black Album, but the new school seems to not mind 4:44. Always been a fan of Jay's story and his business acumen. Just another example of why the troubled kids making a spare buck in the playground tend to succeed in this world.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.