The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any undervalued stocks you recommend?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
If there’s no way to measure if it’s a good investment, it’s more like gambling. The word is speculation.

Think about how you analyze a real estate deal. I know you’re really good at that and have solid criteria for it.

I have certain criteria that I look for in real estate and to be honest, some are intangible. If I looked purely at the numbers, I wouldn't have purchased many of the homes I have. That's why I'm saying that just going by numbers in the stock market won't work in the future.

So in real estate,

Let's say that you value a home by its long term rental income potential. Let's say that a home that rents and nets $1000/mo is worth $200,000 based on your mathematical model.

Someone else who has 2 kids and loves the neighborhood and its school district is willing to pay $250,000 for the home and the comps in the neighborhood show this home is worth $250,000.

I come along and determines that by using this home as an Airbnb, that home can net $2000/mo. So by my Airbnb calc. model, the home is worth $400,000 because it returns X% to me.

So who is correct here? Well there are 3 different ways each person is evaluating the home's value.

The old "long term" rental calculation may not work anymore. The new way of calculating value may be using its Airbnb potential income. This is a brand new factor in evaluating a home's value that wasn't existing 5 years ago. The guy buying houses based on comps may not be pricing his home correctly either.

All I'm saying is that there are new factors that move the market now and that fundamentals are factored in less now than before.

If you look at what's a good PE ratio, I remember it used to be low like 10-15. Amazon's PE ratio was 250 in 2016. Google was between 25-30 which was considered really high in the 90s. The metrics need to change with the times.

Getting back to real estate, I'm going to factor in alot of other things like proximity to neighbors, distance from hiking trails, effect of global warming, unique architecture, etc... so when it comes to stocks like TSLA, I'm also going to factor in things like, who's the CEO, how is he on social media, do people like him, what do its customers say about the car, etc...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest-5ty5s4

I have certain criteria that I look for in real estate and to be honest, some are intangible. If I looked purely at the numbers, I wouldn't have purchased many of the homes I have. That's why I'm saying that just going by numbers in the stock market won't work in the future.

So in real estate,

Let's say that you value a home by its long term rental income potential. Let's say that a home that rents and nets $1000/mo is worth $200,000 based on your mathematical model.

Someone else who has 2 kids and loves the neighborhood and its school district is willing to pay $250,000 for the home and the comps in the neighborhood show this home is worth $250,000.

I come along and determines that by using this home as an Airbnb, that home can net $2000/mo. So by my Airbnb calc. model, the home is worth $400,000 because it returns X% to me.

So who is correct here? Well there are 3 different ways each person is evaluating the home's value.

The old "long term" rental calculation may not work anymore. The new way of calculating value may be using its Airbnb potential income. This is a brand new factor in evaluating a home's value that wasn't existing 5 years ago. The guy buying houses based on comps may not be pricing his home correctly either.

All I'm saying is that there are new factors that move the market now and that fundamentals are factored in less now than before.

If you look at what's a good PE ratio, I remember it used to be low like 10-15. Amazon's PE ratio was 250 in 2016. Google was between 25-30 which was considered really high in the 90s. The metrics need to change with the times.

Getting back to real estate, I'm going to factor in alot of other things like proximity to neighbors, distance from hiking trails, effect of global warming, unique architecture, etc... so when it comes to stocks like TSLA, I'm also going to factor in things like, who's the CEO, how is he on social media, do people like him, what do its customers say about the car, etc...
Well, I look at intangibles too. Nobody said to ignore the that. In fact, I believe everything should be analyzed from both sides of the brain, right and left, or qualitative and quantitative.

But the thing is, would you ever buy real estate without doing math first? Of course not! Yet that’s how a lot of people are “investing” in stocks and crypto today.

(by the way, the PE ratio tells you very little and the old, old, super old stock investors were more concerned with P/B or price to book value. Today they look at price versus free cash flow, or discounted cash flow, which is also a great tool for value and fundamental analysis)

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
High PE ratios indicate investors are expecting rapid future growth, the sort of growth that didnt really happen pre-internet. Mathematically, a stodgy old company with a PE ratio of 5 and no growth should return the same as a modern company with a PE of 100 that is growing 20% per year.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Exactly... How do you value a company that isn't making any money?

...I guess the same way you decide if Bitcoin is "undervalued" or not, lol

If you show revenue people will ask how much and it will never be enough. The company that was the 100xer or the 1000xer becomes the 2x dog.

But if you say you have NO revenue you can say you're PRE-REVENUE. You're a potential pure play.

1635906423132.png

smithsta

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
May 4, 2014
GameStop…

Not just a meme stock.

They’ve massively ramped up eCommerce, increased product lines and about to announce an NFT project/marketplace.

Watch this space…

vgfdshjn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 11, 2020
Linz
GameStop…

Not just a meme stock.

They’ve massively ramped up eCommerce, increased product lines and about to announce an NFT project/marketplace.

Watch this space…
Yeah... I doubt it. The company has declining revenues and is still losing money - all the while downloads eat into their core business model. At the same time the company has a market cap of $16b. eCommerce is heavily bombarded through all sites now.

Back to the thread.
Companies that I currently find undervalued. Warning they are companies in either emerging markets or quite small. Gazprom, Kaspi.kz, Helios Towers, Georgia Capital, Trinseo, IDT Corp, Kazataprom, Paladin Energy, a lot of oil companies like oxy, meg, cve. Tobacco companies like Turning Point Brands, British American Tobacco and a weird, small, polish waste management company called Mo-Bruk

DoingDeals

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 13, 2021
Not necessarily undervalued the Rivian RIVN IPO is next week & GE is splitting into 3 units.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Dover Motorsports went up 60% today. I bought it a week ago after analyzing it through a value investing tool.

It was clearly undervalued because the jump today was due to a sale that priced it far higher than the stock price - that price was determined by professionals, not robinhood traders.

Fundamentals do matter, the problem is that there are lots of idiots - I mean amateurs - in the markets today.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
Dover Motorsports went up 60% today. I bought it a week ago after analyzing it through a value investing tool.

It was clearly undervalued because the jump today was due to a sale that priced it far higher than the stock price - that price was determined by professionals, not robinhood traders.

Fundamentals do matter, the problem is that there are lots of idiots - I mean amateurs - in the markets today.
DVD was on my radar but it didnt have enough liquidity. My position size would have been around 50% of the typical daily volume.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

DVD was on my radar but it didnt have enough liquidity. My position size would have been around 50% of the typical daily volume.
I wish I had that problem. I was kind of chicken about it - it met all of my criteria but I definitely did not open a large enough position.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I think this guy is onto something:

And if he's right, the time when Tesla becomes an undervalued stock might come sooner than some people on this forum had anticipated. ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.