The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Another what should I study thread

brambel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Mar 3, 2013
After reading for a while, another 'what should i study thread'

Let's say I want to be a fastlaner..

Next year is my final year of college with a fairly useless degree (social sciences). I already follow 3th grade classes, so next year will not be so filled with education.
There is an undergrad course called 'science, business and innovation', and entrepreneurship (including entrepreneurship minor) plays a major role in this program. The program is about building a bridge between new scientific findings and the creation of a product or company out of these findings.

Since i'm young (21) and my parents pay my further education and provide me with a quite comfortable life when I study, i don't bother about debt or costs.

Some other thing to consider: since my granddad was a 'fastlaner 1.0' my family owns a large real estate business (renting and buying/selling homes, big portfolio), but there is not so much vision about the future of that company yet, i would like to transfer some of that money maybe in other markets like innovative startups in the future.
I could enroll in that company in the future perhaps, but i want to create some succes for myself first.

I could study real estate/business administration as well.....

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Sales. It will help with almost any business you start.

brambel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Mar 3, 2013
Thanks, humanities and psychology are already a sort of part of what i study right now. Sales is not available to study of course ;)

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
I'm turning 24 tomorrow (GASP) and think college is worthless as shit. I wouldn't have a dayjob if I didn't have student loans.

Anyway here's the route that I would take..

1.) Start building niche sites.
Skills - wordpress, copywriting, blogging, seo, affiliate marketing, adsense, analytics
Cost - $50 - $60
Time - a few months

- Spencer Hawes at niche pursuits is doing a public build and you can follow his methodology here.
- For almost no money you can get a full education / introduction to internet marketing on your own.

2.) Listen to podcasts

Podcasts are great because you can take them anywhere you go. Mixergy, TropicalMBA, Adsense Flippers, Seth Godin... just subscribe to all of them and absorb that shit like a sponge.

3.) Intern with your richass family.

But... tell them you want some responsibility and that you don't want to be coddled. It's like being thrown to the sharks... and you'll learn more about business doing business than in any book.

4.) Join a networking group

Want to import stuff from china? Want to talk ruby on rails, sql and python? Join a group where people are discussing these things constantly. Surround yourself with entrepreneurs and you will become a better one.

5.) Keep testing, building, growing and stay cash positive

I'm in a position now where I have multiple lines of business set up but I'm still searching for the cash cow. The mega-dollaz. That's okay... creating passive income streams is critical for the new age rich. Never stop testing, learning, building and growing but watch your bank account!

Good luck man if you want to keep in touch with me checkout my blog.

Barry

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 27, 2011
Jamaica
Finance and Accounting

00N8

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
May 31, 2011
New Mexico
I might be one of the few that doesn't think college is worthless. At 21 you will have some handicaps because of your street experience that is a draw back which is only overcome with time and experience. Study math to round out your problem solving skills and get a part time job selling something. Sell anything. Preferably where you are interacting with people, face to face. I did door to door sales buying up foreclosures before the owner went to the auction block. That gives you the sort of soft skills you can't get from school. The math skills will help you solve problems that stop most people in their tracks. The combination of the two gives you great soft skills and an ability to overcome any obstacle.

brambel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Mar 3, 2013
I think the art of accounting is good to learn at college, why would I work all day instead have fun and expand myself in my college years? Look at all the kids of succesfull entrepreneurs -from Heineken kids to the kids of Richard Branson and OK, maybe not prince william and harry.
Why is thatm that most of the rich people send their kids to college?

fasten

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 28, 2013
paradise
For anyone who is looking to decide about what he is looking for or going to study, should be according to his/her own mindset. Mean you need to go for studies which best suits your mental abilities and your interests. As, sometimes we just been forced to go for a particular field by our parents and/or friends which results in a failure, that could lead to your whole career as a wrong field choice.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.