The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I study software engineering degree if I want to become an entrepreneur?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Tam Nguyen

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 29, 2022
Recently I read the Millionaire Fastlane and it totally changes my mindset and viewpoint about career and wealth. I'm a freshman at college and I'm gonna start my first academic year soon this fall, and currently, I'm majoring in Molecular Biology & Biochemistry. But I feel like this major is not as innovative as software engineering/computer science. I want to become a producer, not a consumer. So should I change my major? Or do you have any other tips about education for me? Thank you very much and have a good day.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
„Should I Study Software Engineering Degree If I Want To Become An Entrepreneur?“

No, you should become an entrepreneur, if you want to become an entrepreneur!

Studying computer science will not help you to become an entrepreneur. It will not even help you learn to code, because coding is only a very small part of the curriculum in CS studies.

Tam Nguyen

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 29, 2022
„Should I Study Software Engineering Degree If I Want To Become An Entrepreneur?“

No, you should become an entrepreneur, if you want to become an entrepreneur!

Studying computer science will not help you to become an entrepreneur. It will not even help you learn to code, because coding is only a very small part of the curriculum in CS studies.

Thank you for your comment. I know coding is a small part of CS, that's why I said I would learn Software systems instead. So which education path do you suggest for people who want to become entrepreneurs and innovators? I am only 18, I have the opportunity to enter higher education without financial barriers, and I have the right mindset and time to pursue my desire, so pls just don't tell me to drop out or anything. Many thanks !!

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
Thank you for your comment. I know coding is a small part of CS, that's why I said I would learn Software systems instead. So which education path do you suggest for people who want to become entrepreneurs and innovators? I am only 18, I have the opportunity to enter higher education without financial barriers, and I have the right mindset and time to pursue my desire, so pls just don't tell me to drop out or anything. Many thanks !!

Accept the fact that no university degree will prepare you for an entrepreneurial journey, as professors / uni teachers with that kind of background and experience are extremely rare. Been there, done that!

You’re looking for a way to consume yourself to team producer. Degrees and studying is input. Entrepreneurship means output. Go study. But spend 4x that amount of time and energy (even better 10x) on output related activities.

so pls just don't tell me to drop out or anything

Reads: „Please give me advice. But don’t give me the advice I don’t want to hear!“ Are you sure you want to hear advice and are open for it?

Tam Nguyen

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 29, 2022
Accept the fact that no university degree will prepare you for an entrepreneurial journey, as professors / uni teachers with that kind of background and experience are extremely rare. Been there, done that!

You’re looking for a way to consume yourself to team producer. Degrees and studying is input. Entrepreneurship means output. Go study. But spend 4x that amount of time and energy (even better 10x) on output related activities.

Reads: „Please give me advice. But don’t give me the advice I don’t want to hear!“ Are you sure you want to hear advice and are open for it?

Great, thank you for your opinion. I really appreciate it. Dropout from college is currently not available to me, so I'm open to anything else besides that option.

tom3k93

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 15, 2019
I'm a software engineer myself and I don't want to drop my career as an engineer. I'd like to build a side hustle. This career can be great, it has many advantages.

Yes, entrepreneurship can give you more money, and a better lifestyle. If you're a good engineer, problem solver, and good at working in a team, there's a chance that you'll be a great entrepreneur too.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Dropout from college is currently not available to me
then entreprenuership is not for you. (before you shoot the messenger) AT THIS MOMENT...

If you are burdened by archaic models and or parental pressure then you must wait and really question if you are cut for entrepreneurship.

since it seems that you MUSt graduate then just focus on the degree in whatever it is you need to pass in, however in addition to that, acquire HIGH LEVERAGE skills on the side, and really develop them (can do must for cheap or free) in the tech software systems realm...

THEN decide if you are going to embark on an entrepreneurial journey in solving other peoples problems.

You cant solve other people's problems if you dont solve or squash yours first.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
As an Engineer that runs several businesses, I have seen how an engineer can do anything. Be a chef, run a business, sell real estate, build a product, run amazon fba.

Learning to think like an engineer gives you a HUGE advantage over others. You will be better equipped to make 'math' based decisions and setup processes and systems. All KEY parts of growing a successful business.

You also have the advantage of nice pay and benefits while you are starting up. These are fuel and remove the 'stress' of getting started. Just don't let those 'golden handcuffs' keep you there too long!

Tam Nguyen

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 29, 2022
I'm a software engineer myself and I don't want to drop my career as an engineer. I'd like to build a side hustle. This career can be great, it has many advantages.

Yes, entrepreneurship can give you more money, and a better lifestyle. If you're a good engineer, problem solver, and good at working in a team, there's a chance that you'll be a great entrepreneur

As an Engineer that runs several businesses, I have seen how an engineer can do anything. Be a chef, run a business, sell real estate, build a product, run amazon fba.

Learning to think like an engineer gives you a HUGE advantage over others. You will be better equipped to make 'math' based decisions and setup processes and systems. All KEY parts of growing a successful business.

You also have the advantage of nice pay and benefits while you are starting up. These are fuel and remove the 'stress' of getting started. Just don't let those 'golden handcuffs' keep you there too long!
Thank you so much for your insights. I really appreciate and I would love to hear more about your stories as a software engineer during college to where you are now if you don't mind. Have a good day

JustMorpheus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Dec 18, 2021
Entrepreneurship means output. Go study. But spend 4x that amount of time and energy (even better 10x) on output related activities.
Thanks so much for this post. The consumer trap can be super confusing, because it feels good to consume. And the reward itself can keep you consuming more and more, instead of producing. It helps to consume, however, it becomes a problem when it’s our only focus.

JustMorpheus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Dec 18, 2021

What are some of the things you focused on to foster that producer mindset?

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
What are some of the things you focused on to foster that producer mindset?

I don't consider myself an expert in this field, but I think awareness should be the first step. Simply understanding the difference between being a consumer and a producer at each moment of one's life is advantageous. It's okay being a consumer, reading books, reading threads in this forum, watching courses or YouTube videos, and buying stuff online... but the difference between a wantrepreneur and an entrepreneur is the ratio of output to input. I made a rule for myself, that says this ratio needs to be over 4:1 which means for every hour where I consume (a book, a course or whatever), I need to put out 4 hours of practice (like creating YouTube Videos, coding, sales calls...).

In the past, I found that mentally declaring my actions helps raise my awareness (for example by saying to myself "I'm going for a walk and I'm going to listen to an audiobook" or "I'm going to watch YouTube videos in the evening." or "I'm going to code for two hours"). But at the same time, I also block a minimum of 4 hours a day for output-focused work, where I code and create something new. During these time blocks, I do not allow myself any consumer-related tasks.

I'm sure we have forum members, who can expand on these strategies.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Dude... biotech, pharmaceuticals are huge fields full of innovation.

Being an entrepreneur is about creating something that people want - the vehicle you use (biotech, programming etc) is secondary.

Don't confuse the vehicle with the destination.

Losspost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 6, 2020
Studying can be a great opportunity. Yes, the knowledge itself isn't the most useful but the stuff around the knowledge you learn. I mean there is a reason why a lot of successful start-ups are funded by engineer. Its the way of thinking you learn on the way.

But not just that. A lot of university are help growing start-ups. They have special rooms or even whole buildings dedicated to it where you can meet other people, learn and build your idea. I meet my current partner over the university.

Also, there is now way you can fill a whole day as an "entrepreneur" from the start. Even if you just funded your start-up its rarely a 8h job.

Finally, sometimes you realize your just not ready for your own company at this point. Just trying "to learn" stuff without applying it is effectively wasting time.

If you have problems in terms of which topic I would recommend some engineering like electrical or mechanical. Gives you the general mindset of an engineer, you still can work a high paying job if you aren't ready yet and it also helps you train your frustration.

tom3k93

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 15, 2019
Thank you so much for your insights. I really appreciate and I would love to hear more about your stories as a software engineer during college to where you are now if you don't mind. Have a good day
I studied electronic engineering but I switched to Java development. I learned Java by myself and prepared for job interviews. I worked a full-time job and studied management in IT for my master's degree at the same time. It was pretty challenging and taught me to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.

There's a lesson - start working as fast as possible, it is great when you can work and study at the same time. You will have real-world experience and switching to a different field will be less painful I you've chosen badly.

In the last 1.5 years, I've been travelling with my girlfriend and working remotely. It was a great time, it showed me where I'd like to live and how. It has changed me a lot, I discovered that the life I wanted to pursue was a kind of mistake and how it had a bad impact on me.

There's another lesson - travel and see the world before you settle down.

Right now I'm relocating to a place where I'd like to live and looking forward to starting a side hustle.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.