The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

7 Things to Do if You Don’t Want to Be a Millionaire

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Acting wealthy is the best way to stay broke.

Depends if you're doing for yourself or for the others. And depends on how wisely you are doing it.
I wouldn't put more than 10% of my money (and cashflow) into a "new" car, and I'd probably buy a used Boxster that would probably bring me more joy than a new BMW which would cost 3-4 times more. But I actually enjoy driving and I do around 250Km every week.

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Acting wealthy is the best way to stay broke.

If you're in an industry where you have to raise capital, move alot of wealth and close large transactions/deals (real estate, oil, private equity, hedge funds, etc.)

It doesn't hurt to "act wealthy"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SemiSentient

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Mar 12, 2014
Indiana
I get guilted into watching TV sometimes; supposedly it's "family time". I hate it!

Good point. I hate it when the only thing my family can agree to do is sit around the slowlane alter while their brains atrophy. There are so many things we could be doing. We could go to a park, go hiking, go to a museum, or even just sit around and drink coffee! Anything but the idiot box!

I like to say TV is acronym for "Time Vacuum". Make TV your main hobby and you'll wake up one day and half your life passed in the blink of an eye.

No thanks, I'll take reality please.

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
I agree to all :)
The solution for anyone having problems for No 1 is: not to have one
Just watch the shows you want (eg Shark Tank etc) from the internet

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
Nice list. I would argue with 4. Buy a new car.

Sometimes you have to play the part, fake it till you make it.
And why not investing that amount of money to your business?

FastMig

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
May 22, 2014
I get guilted into watching TV sometimes; supposedly it's "family time". I hate it!
Nice article! I do watch TV sometimes, mostly sport. Have to cut it down in order to focus entirely on my business goals.
Thanks for sharing.

Kate

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 9, 2014
NJ
Great article! I'm good on all of those... can I be a millionaire now?? :) I do watch shark tank, vikings on the history channel and walking dead from the dvr when I get a free hour... maybe once a week...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Just read these 7 pointers to being the opposite of Fastlane and wanted to share it here immediately to steer off all those who might by mistake be on the wrong track. MJ touched almost each of these points in greater detail in TMF .

unproductive-days.jpg

1. Watch TV.

Watching TV will almost always guarantee your failure in becoming a millionaire. Unless there’s a channel dedicated to teaching you in becoming a millionaire, you’re more likely to buy a Wendy’s sandwich or a Snuggie. TV is one of the largest sources of non-productiveness and America’s obesity rate. All TV does is provide short episodes of entertainment and commercials. If you wanted to find entertainment, you could find higher qualities of it in other mediums like friends or backyard BBQ’s. You have little control in the types of entertainment to watch; if you wanted to watch something else on TV, you would have to find another channel. Meanwhile on the Internet, if you wanted to find something funny to watch, you could do a Google search and find 1,654,000,000 choices to pick from. Anyway, why look for entertainment when you could look for information on becoming a millionaire?

2. Eat junk food.
Junk food – the second leading source of America’s obesity rate. Junk food will make you feel tired, fatigued, and depressed. It may give you small periods of pleasure and energy, but it won’t do much in the long run. It will rob you of your energy – energy you need to learn how to become a millionaire. It keeps you from being productive and healthy. Most of all, it decreases your life span.

3. Become “popular”.
Nowadays, kids do so much just to try and gain attention and love. They want to be the “popular” ones. They want to be noticed, cared for, loved. They want to be in a group that accepts them for who they are – or who they try to be. They do such radical things just to try and be popular. Adults are not all that different. They want to gain acceptance from their friends, believing if they don’t, they’ll be friendless and outcasted. People hate being outcasted. But millionaires don’t care about being outcasted. In fact, they’re actually the ones being outcasted. They don’t care what others think, which gives them the determination and commitment to follow their dreams, regardless of what others are thinking or saying.

4. Buy a new car.
If you don’t want to become a millionaire, buy things. Buy lot’s of things. Buy things that won’t even help you or make a difference in your life. Buy extra junk food, the latest technology, a new car, new clothes, etc. Buy everything and anything you can with the income you’re making right now. In fact, go ahead and just make a wishlist of things you want to buy. Then when you get your paycheck, go down your list and buy as many things you can with the money you got.

5. Complain.
Complain about how bad your day is. Talk about how your boss hates you. Discuss how bad your life is. Get mad at the person who cut you off this morning. Announce your distaste for your job and your current situation. Complain how you can never get enough time for yourself. Complain how you can never have enough of what you want. Complain how you can never get what you want.

6. Blame the world.
Blame the world for allowing you to experience the negative situations you’re in. Blame your family for making you late to work. Blame everyone and everything else in the world except yourself for the things you have in your life right now. When you get a bad grade on your test, blame your teacher and explain how he or she can’t teach. When you can’t get a decent job, blame the economy. When something bad happens to you, blame something or someone else.

7. Make excuses.
Try to justify your mistakes and wrongdoings. When you get in trouble, do thing #6 and blame someone else.

Be fat, lazy and dumb should be the name of this title.

Fast food makes you slow.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Marked GOLD. Carry forth.. :playful:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

oldkevx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
613%
Nov 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
No cable in our house. Kill two birds with one stone. Eliminate unnecessary cash out while eliminating 95% of TV options available for my family. We also get to guide what our 2 year old watches and filter him out from all of the marketing messages....he choose to watch a special on MIT robotics recently. Proud papa!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I lived without a TV for about 3 years when I was single. The first few weeks of getting rid of it was so wierd. I would get home from work, have food, and then almost complain to myself that I had too much time in the evening.

Then I realised what a dumb complaint that was and started doing stuff. Wow... not having a TV frees up so much time.

I miss those days, and pretty much leave whatever room in the house has the TV on now.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

Franky Neizer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
May 18, 2014
Accra
Why not? You could have read a paragraph in the time that you spent on your post and this reply.

Been reading 'The Snowball- Warren Buffett' since last month and I'm almost through with it. What are you currently reading???

Rcaraway1989

Rob C
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
469%
Mar 16, 2011
Austin, TX
I think slow vs fastlane is a pattern of thought -- what you tell yourself at every moment of every day. Good thoughts eventually lead to good actions which lead to wealth and vise versa.

These 7 things are only common symptoms of slowlaners, but a fastlaner's pattern of thought can easily lead him to break these rules -- for example, you might watch TV with powerful characters to learn about how they hold themselves, their body language. If you weight train, you might indulge in high calorie foods on cheat day.

I think the 3 bottom ones -- complain, blame the world and make excuses are the ones that matter.

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
We got rid of the T.V over a month now and don't miss at all. netflix for maybe last hour of day and thats' it. Most of that is something educational.
Haven't watched the news in years - Too negative and scaremongering.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Netflix is just productivity leaving the body.

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
Netflix is just productivity leaving the body.
Agreed, to a point - But people shouldn't feel guilty for having a release. Whatever that may be. Want to spend an hour at the end of the day playing vid games, watching movie, some dumb reality show, or whatever. Then go ahead. As long as your other 12 hours or more in the day were productive.
If we don't take the time occasionally and just veg out, then we can often burn out.
Same argument can be made for this forum, as not all the time spent here is productive. Reading a gold thread, or an AMA in your genre is extremely helpful, but spending an hour just replying to anything doesn't give a quality response to the question "am I doing something that can move my business forward at this point?"
Chill time is okay, if use as a reward for quality input.

SirTristram

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 24, 2014
Very true, i'm almost hitting 3 months since I began the commitment with myself to not complain, blame or justify, it's life changing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.