The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

4 Questions on exporting from India to Japan

AT112233

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 24, 2018
New York, NY
Hi all,

We are looking for your thoughts on goods that can be exported from India to Japan. My wife and I are US citizens living in US, I was born in India, wife in Japan. We want to best use this combo for doing business!

QUESTION 1
Given our lifestyle, we want to sell: spices/herbs/vegan/natural beauty style products on Amazon JP (and then rakuten) and our e-com store (soon to be set up). Sourced from India. We know these products well (Indian alternative medicine has caught on in the US). Haven't sold anything ever in this field.

Before we dive fully into spices/natural health products, would you suggest better products (perhaps textiles, or handicrafts) that we should concentrate on?

QUESTION 2
Is there anything about: "spices/natural health products" "imported into Japan" or "spices/herbs exported from India" that we need to be careful about? Thankfully, we're well acquainted with Indian biz culture and can converse in local languages.

QUESTION 3:
What is the immediate step we should take now?

We have read up on FBA and are ready to look for suppliers.
Per my wife, Japan is not so hot on Facebook marketing (I have some experience running FB ads for my mini-Shopify store that sells pet stuff) so don't know how to do paid advertising. It seems blogs/affiliates are big there.
We have already obtained tons of material SEO (blog & Youtube channel style material) but perhaps paid marketing is the best?

QUESTION 4:
Do you think anything there is anything too illusory about about our overall vision below?

a. Sell quality Indian foods (spices, medicines, beauty products that can be warehoused for 2 years) to Japan thru quality suppliers and using our brand. Warehouse in Japan.
b. Use the profit to buy a small manufacturing plant in India to streamline the supply chain. I think I'll enjoy doing this (as I can be in India for few times a yr, managing quality & doing Indian things)
c. Sell quality products to US and Europe. Donate quality products to those in need.

regards

AT

@Arun Siva @Walter Hay @Bhanu @Kshatriya @Leo Hendrix @lovecharm @ToniLene

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
you will have to see what the export requirements and duties are in accordance to Japan.

http://fishexchange.mpeda.gov.in/Up...ards-Certification_Tokyo_Japan_12-15-2017.pdf

Is there a suitable market for selling such products in japan? Japan has many of those things ou have mentioned in their own land. Japanese textiles are still top notch and if they are still producing them, you may not be adding any value. Unless you source suvin cotton from Tamil nadu or something on that line (that is extremely high value due to high cost)

Based on your analysis of worthiness of the Japanese market for indian goods, i would go from there. Still look at other emerging markets as well.

Bhanu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 23, 2017
Hi AT112233 ,

I am not very knowledgeable about the spices . But I think there are few products which can sell very well in Japan (and USA) .
1. Marble statues/sculptures made in Central India in the city of Jabalpur, In town of Makrana in Rajasthan. Check them out if you have time.They are absolutely beautiful .(Fun fact the famous Taj Mahal was built by the same stone which is used in making statues/sculpture here)
2. Chanderi Saris , Rajasthani Bangles , Madras Silk Saris and other Indian ethnic wear.
3. In Herbal or medicinal plant there are many . First which comes to my mind is Indian gooseberry(Aanwla) used in multiple of medicinal things, Isabgol or Psyllium husk(this one is really helpful for curing stomach related problems, read amazon review from USA on this ), Brahmi,Ashvagnadha,Jaifal,Trifala (sorry using Hindi names as I dont know their English names ,please google them) and many more.
4. For spices there is again a big list .You can get almost all kind of spices in India specially southern India.

Hope this helps!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.