The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

28 year old dreamer

Michael.G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
May 6, 2018
Hi everyone.

Excited to be a part of the forum. Graduated college last year with a marketing degree and now work in tech sales in sf. Been in the restaurant business my whole life and now that I have a job in tech its not all that I thought it would be. Making 45k a year and cold calling all the time isn't exactly the dream. I live in one of the most expensive places in the US and I working all the time to barely pay rent in apartment with 3 other guys has got me rethinking my life choices. Made the mistake of spending years getting a degree rather than focusing on starting a business. Looking to learn as much as I can from this forum and contribute where I can as well. I read the Millionaire Fastlane a couple years back and read it in just a couple days. Loved the book.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
Hello Michael, and welcome!

Looking on the bright side, maybe you've picked up some skills through college and your current jobs, you can use in your own business.

How about combining your sales skills with your restaurant background in some kind of way?

Michael.G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
May 6, 2018
Thank you! Being positive and looking on the bright side is very important when it comes to entrepreneurship. I don't think I have ever met a successful person who wasn't positive.

I was thinking about what you said about combining my experience in some way which is in customer service and sales. It seems as if those are very broad skills that could be applied to any business. My biggest short fall I guess was not focusing on specialization in one skill. The market values specialization versus general skills.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Hi Michael, welcome aboard! Be sure to put your review of MJ's book in the "I've read" thread, and the profile badge to show you've read it will automatically show up for you soon.

I have an idea about specialized marketing consulting for restaurants. I put in the Speedway part of the forum because I didn't want it in the open part that can be read by anyone and picked up by search engines. If you get active enough for Speedway access (it's automatically turned on after you're active here a while), I'd love your comments and perspective on my idea. Perhaps with your experience you could run with it in your area.

Have you considered relocating to a less expensive place to live, while you figure out your own Fastlane?

Michael.G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
May 6, 2018
Hi Michael, welcome aboard! Be sure to put your review of MJ's book in the "I've read" thread, and the profile badge to show you've read it will automatically show up for you soon.

I have an idea about specialized marketing consulting for restaurants. I put in the Speedway part of the forum because I didn't want it in the open part that can be read by anyone and picked up by search engines. If you get active enough for Speedway access (it's automatically turned on after you're active here a while), I'd love your comments and perspective on my idea. Perhaps with your experience you could run with it in your area.

Have you considered relocating to a less expensive place to live, while you figure out your own Fastlane?

Hi Late Bloomer. Thank you for the response. Ill be sure to make a review of MJ's book in the ive read thread. I have also been thinking about moving to a place where the cost of living is low. The tech company I work for has an office in scottsdale, arizona which I could transfer to if I wanted but there are pros and cons to moving to the desert.

Specialized marketing consulting for restaurants sounds like a pretty cool career to get into. My dad used to do that for a bit as he owned a few restaurants back in the day and did it for a short stint while transitioning to real estate. As for me getting into it I have only waited tables in restaurants and I think to be a consultant you probably need to have a demonstrated success record in owning and operating restaurants. It would be a stretch.

LynetteP

This will be car photo when I get a rocket again
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 13, 2018
Tennessee
The tech company I work for has an office in scottsdale, arizona which I could transfer to if I wanted but there are pros and cons to moving to the desert.
There is an excellent, not-too-lengthy book on decision making you might enjoy- it's called "Smart Choices" by Hammond, Keeney, and Raiffa. It has a foreword by Roger Fisher, of whom I'm a huge fan.

Michael.G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
May 6, 2018
There is an excellent, not-too-lengthy book on decision making you might enjoy- it's called "Smart Choices" by Hammond, Keeney, and Raiffa. It has a foreword by Roger Fisher, of whom I'm a huge fan.

Hey Lynette. Thank you for the recommendation! I will definitely check it out.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
Cold calling is a pretty valuable skill.

Of course I'd recommend moving to somewhere where your $$ gets you farther. You'll need extra cash for starting something.

Michael.G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
May 6, 2018
Cold calling is a pretty valuable skill.

Of course I'd recommend moving to somewhere where your $$ gets you farther. You'll need extra cash for starting something.

Thank you for the input. I agree cold calling is a valuable skill. I do need to find a place where the cost of living is lower. I am still trying to weigh the benefits of being able to be to fully independent versus being a place where there is the most opportunity.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
Thank you for the input. I agree cold calling is a valuable skill. I do need to find a place where the cost of living is lower. I am still trying to weigh the benefits of being able to be to fully independent versus being a place where there is the most opportunity.

You can transfer your cold calling skills into other skills too! For example cold mail (letters). This works well especially in my niche. I think if your comfortable with pushing yourself, you'll go far.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I wouldn't get too upset about what's happening in your life, sounds like a great springboard into better things. Nothing wrong with being immersed in the tech industry and cold-calling, some great experience that can serve you in the future.

Remember, this thing we call "entrepreneurship" is a career of learning. Think long-game!

Michael.G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
May 6, 2018
I wouldn't get too upset about what's happening in your life, sounds like a great springboard into better things. Nothing wrong with being immersed in the tech industry and cold-calling, some great experience that can serve you in the future.

Remember, this thing we call "entrepreneurship" is a career of learning. Think long-game!

Thanks for the response Mj. It means a lot and you are absolutely right. When I took the job in tech, I knew sales development was the only way I was going to break in and that it would be a huge learning opportunity but also knew when I took the job it wasn't going to be permanent. It's a means to an end until I find a way to be my own boss.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...