The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2017 Fastlane Summit (Official Announcement)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
To my fellow Fastlaners, entrepreneurs, and friends,

As some of my local forum friends know, I've had a challenging year with respect to my health, not to mention some very personal issues. I won't go into great detail here other than to say something I've mentioned before: When you don't have your health, nothing else matters: Not money. Not pending book releases. Not "your book changed my life!" emails. Not Fantasy Football or who won threw the winning touchdown. All of it becomes pretty much irrelevant and secondary.

This "new reality" I've had to deal with this year has taken its toll on many things, the main thing being my energy which has translated into a book release that has fallen far short of my release date, my declining contribution here at the forum, and among other things, an overall disconnect between "living the dream" and "fighting the fatigue."

It with great remorse that I feel I need to make a tough decision based on what is right for ME -- not for what is right for the forum, for tradition, or for others. I must officially declare that our annual Fastlane meetup (Feb 2017) will be postponed this year in hopes to have it return next year in 2018.

This is the bad news. (Yes, I hope to have good news too.)

While @Red is my "project manager" on the event and does a fantastic job coordinating everything relieving a lot of the stress, there is still a tremendous amount of time and energy that must go into the event; it's preparation, speakers, scheduling, food, etc. To be perfectly honest, I haven't consistently felt physically or mentally able to pull it off as my new "job one" has been to simply feel normal LONGER than just a day or two.

However, the good news is this: I feel (finally) I have been trending in the right direction and ultimately I'd like to assume that trend will continue where I can focus it into the forum. With a hopeful return to normalcy, it is my intent to recommit to the forum which is a recommitment to my presence and contribution HERE. I'd like to comment more, contribute more, and start writing articles again (which I used to do years ago) and heck, maybe even an INSIDERS podcast. I expect these things to start in the new year when my book goes from "production" to "prepublication." Of course, all of these "expectations" are dependent on my health and energy levels.

Because my next book is essentially done (spring/summer 2017 release), I can rephase out of writing and back to contributing. And of course, with 400+ pages of new content, I'm sure there will be a lot of stuff to discuss.

In the end I want to leave you with this: The EVENT we do every year is a product of the FORUM -- the FORUM is not a product of the EVENT. Think about that. This is a community and the event exists to serve the community. If the community dissipates for other pastures, it doesn't help the forum, but the other pasture -- that pasture is often a giga-entity, for example Microsoft (Skype) or Zuckerberg (Facebook.) What I'm saying here is NOT to dissuade those offshooting activities, but to give thought to the things that have all originally bound us together here (including our event) -- our common love for a special type of entrepreneurship that delivers life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

While it's too early for "new years resolutions", I have resolved to get better first and foremost. To me, that is the lynchpin. Second, it is my intent to focus that betterment HERE at the forum-- the place where this crazy thing called "Fastlane" all started more than TEN years ago. For starters, my intent is to redesign the forum, streamline some categories, retool INSIDERS membership requirements, and get some things up to date. I hope to be here as much as I was when I started this place a decade ago. At the end of the day, I understand that I must lead that charge and be its leader to make the forum a better medium for exposing value to its visitors. Come this time next year, I envision a forum community that yearns for our annual event, and not yearns for it because the calendar says so.

It is my great hope that you will continue sharing your journey here-- the successes, the failures, and the grinding hustles that make it possible. Or if you have been in shadows or not here at all except to check-in on a once-a-year-event, I hope you can return and give us the great privilege of hearing the unfolding story you are writing.

Thank you for reading, your understanding, and of course, your participation here.

Best,
~ MJ

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for all the well-wishes everyone however I want to make it clear: As far as I know this is not life-threatening (although I do have an exploratory procedure next week that I hope turns up nothing) but more so of a problem with energy, metabolism, and digestion.

I just don't want you guys to think I'm dying or cranked up on drugs in some hospital somewhere, ha ha.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Take this opportunity to connect locally in 2017 with local Fastlaners. I'd like to see the Meetups section of the forum populated in 2017 with some great and ongoing meetups. It's all about real people, real plans, and real action. Find some people with similar interests locally, and then bring all those experiences back to the official meetup in 2018.

Hand in hand with MJ's announcement, please note that there will not be any "national" meetups that will be promoted or even allowed to be communicated through the forum for "brand control" purposes. Focus on local for now, and we'll bring this great meeting of the minds together hopefully in 2018 and beyond.

There won't be a "replacement" event in place of the officially forum sanctioned event. Don't launch one.

I look forward to catching you locals in Tampa in 2017... and who knows. I may pop in on a few of the other local events as I travel in 2017!

- Vigilante

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
By the way, nobody has an excuse to not be at 2018. This is your early warning. Put aside $50 a month and you'll have enough for your ticket and your hotel. No excuses will be honored for lack of your personal attendance at 2018 other than the fact that the tickets sold out in 9 minutes while you were in the shower.

Start saving NOW.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City

As some of my local forum friends know, I've had a challenging year with respect to my health, not to mention some very personal issues. I won't go into great detail here other than to say something I've mentioned before: When you don't have your health, nothing else matters: Not money. Not pending book releases. Not "your book changed my life!" emails. Not Fantasy Football or who won threw the winning touchdown. All of it becomes pretty much irrelevant and secondary.

This "new reality" I've had to deal with this year has taken its toll on many things, the main thing being my energy which has translated into a book release that has fallen far short of my release date, my declining contribution here at the forum, and among other things, an overall disconnect between "living the dream" and "fighting the fatigue."

It with great remorse that I feel I need to make a tough decision based on what is right for ME -- not for what is right for the forum, for tradition, or for others. I must officially declare that our annual Fastlane meetup (Feb 2017) will be postponed this year in hopes to have it return next year in 2018.

While @Red is my "project manager" on the event and does a fantastic job coordinating everything relieving a lot of the stress, there is still a tremendous amount of time and energy that must go into the event; it's preparation, speakers, scheduling, food, etc. To be perfectly honest, I haven't consistently felt physically or mentally able to pull it off as my new "job one" has been to simply feel normal LONGER than just a day or two.

However, the good news is this: I feel (finally) I have been trending in the right direction and ultimately I'd like to assume that trend will continue where I can focus it into the forum. With a hopeful return to normalcy, it is my intent to recommit to the forum which is a recommitment to my presence and contribution HERE. I'd like to comment more, contribute more, and start writing articles again (which I used to do years ago) and heck, maybe even an INSIDERS podcast. I expect these things to start in the new year when my book goes from "production" to "prepublication." Of course, all of these "expectations" are dependent on my health and energy levels.

Because my next book is essentially done (spring/summer 2017 release), I can rephase out of writing and back to contributing. And of course, with 400+ pages of new content, I'm sure there will be a lot of stuff to discuss.

In the end I want to leave you with this: The EVENT we do every year is a product of the FORUM -- the FORUM is not a product of the EVENT. Think about that. This is a community and the event exists to serve the community. If the community dissipates for other pastures, it doesn't help the forum, but the other pasture -- that pasture is often a giga-entity, for example Microsoft (Skype) or Zuckerberg (Facebook.) What I'm saying here is NOT to dissuade those offshooting activities, but to give thought to the things that have all originally bound us together here (including our event) -- our common love for a special type of entrepreneurship that delivers life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

While it's too early for "new years resolutions", I have resolved to get better first and foremost. To me, that is the lynchpin. Second, it is my intent to focus that betterment HERE at the forum-- the place where this crazy thing called "Fastlane" all started more than TEN years ago. For starters, my intent is to redesign the forum, streamline some categories, retool INSIDERS membership requirements, and get some things up to date. I hope to be here as much as I was when I started this place a decade ago. At the end of the day, I understand that I must lead that charge and be its leader to make the forum a better medium for exposing value to its visitors. Come this time next year, I envision a forum community that yearns for our annual event, and not yearns for it because the calendar says so.

It is my great hope that you will continue sharing your journey here-- the successes, the failures, and the grinding hustles that make it possible. Or if you have been in shadows or not here at all except to check-in on a once-a-year-event, I hope you can return and give us the great privilege of hearing the unfolding story you are writing.

Thank you for reading, your understanding, and of course, your participation here.

Best,
~ MJ

MJ,

Please take care of yourself! Time is short and health is everything. What you've started here is invaluable and I want to read that damn new book! We need you in tip-top, brother!:)

I've not been around here in months, as I've lost 4 loved ones this year and did not realize the effect that their respective passings would have on me. Deep depression. Life is a motherf--cker! But I got up and dusted myself off. Back on the grind.

Sitting down with you, @AllenCrawley, @Vigilante, @Arrabista, your wives, etc. and enjoying cigars at the Summit was incredible - thank you all, again.:) I never really shared my impressions of that magical weekend.:( I also collected a bunch of contact information from attendees that I have not contacted. My bad, fellas and ladies. I will reach out over the next two weeks to re-connect.

I'd decided to present at the 2017 event but will now have to wait until 2018. Gives me more time to fine tune my presentation. I hope it's worthy of the audience. I'll be tuning back in because I've missed this place and the people.

Be Well, Brother DeMarco and please don't hesitate to reach out if there is something that I can do for you.

Peace, Blessings and GOD-speed to your health journey,
Anthony aka Chitown

Last edited:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
@MJ DeMarco, I'm coming to see you at your place then. I'll bring the white wine and sweaters... You already have a copy of "the notebook" so we are set

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
MJ, first of all thanks for sharing.

WEALTH without HEALTH leaves a somewhat hollow sense of victory. That coupled with the challenges of personal "stuff" is sufficient enough for anyone to step back, reassess and 'take five'

We understand.

If you don't write one iota of a sentence again, you have already done enough to change MY concept (and many others as well) of entrepreneurship. For that, I am always grateful. I use the principals of the Commandments in almost all that I commit myself to in my growing business.

Thanks for your authenticity and transparency.
It gives us a better understanding that none of us are without our personal battles, and at times we all see each other through that glass darkly.

We all have Barriers of Entry into overcoming our own obstacles, be they health, relationships, or personal. We are all there, some time or other. That is the string of humanness that runs through each and every one of us and ties us all together...

Get better. Be well. Rest.

We've got your back.

R

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Wow, huge announcement.

You've brought together a great community of like minded people, and as awesome as the summit is, it's just icing on an already delicious cake.

Get well soon, and I look forward to your tour de force.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I do have an exploratory procedure next week that I hope turns up nothing
Good luck with that MJ.

Health comes first. Everything else but the health of your loved ones pales by comparison.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Sorry to hear that MJ.

I know you have a huge network of people already but if you ever need help with anything you have a lot of guys on here who are always ready to help.

I am truly grateful for this place all the time and wish you a speedy recovery.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Tony you still in the limo biz?
@MJ DeMarco,

Yes. Gained more business after the Meetup, much to my chagrin. However, I'm grateful because the excess cash from the business is allowing me to bootstrap the other business I plan to present on at Summit 2018. As things progress, I'll start a thread sharing my ups and downs.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Tony you still in the limo biz?

I've not been around here in months, as I've lost 4 loved ones this year

My sympathies and condolences Tony, sorry to hear this. Sending you well wishes...

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
My sympathies and condolences Tony, sorry to hear this. Sending you well wishes...
@MJ DeMarco,

Thanks, MJ! Much appreciated.:)

One of the people, Ms. Foster, was a friend and work colleague of my mother's. She owned some land on the southside of Chicago, in Bronzeville, that she had no plans for. I presented her with a development plan of action that made sense to her and she let me have a run at getting the deal done.

Unfortunately, due to my lack of experience in dealing with Chicago's political culture - "alley permits", anyone? - the deal never got done. But I will always hold Ms. Foster dear, for she was the first person - there were many others approached - who actually listened to what I had to say about a potential business deal and didn't look at me like I was stupid.

I can't tell you what a tremendous boost of confidence her actions gave me. The experience also taught me that my s--t has to be tight and that the other folks I reached out to most likely had a good reason to view me as someone with two heads. It would've been nice to have their critique of my plans, though.:)

Nickhuman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 27, 2017
Bay Area, CA

Best,
~ MJ

If your ailment is related to nerve damage or impingement, I can help. I've regained 90% of my body function over the last four years despite doctors telling me there was nothing I could do.

I lived in constant pain after my neck injury, but there were a few key things I did that helped. Even though I'm not sure if this is your situation, sharing this might help other people reading.

1. Say no to corticosteroid shots or invasive surgeries which only treat symptoms, and sometimes cause other problems.
2. If your MRI doesn't show nerve impingement, but you feel tingling, trust your body. There's something wrong. And healing is possible.
3. Wean yourself off opiates, muscle relaxants, and even ibuprofen. (Ibuprofen kills 7000 people/year in the US alone). All of these fog your brain and mess up your digestion. Maybe even quit drinking for a while.
4. Seek alternative anti-inflammatory products. Topicals like Voltaren or Arnica gel, CBD oil, turmeric, B12, etc.
5. Get craniosacral therapy from a licensed massage therapist who specializes in manipulating your cerebrospinal fluid. Don't pick a CMT that is a generalist—pick someone who only does craniosacral. Check yelp reviews. When my pain and numbness was so bad that I couldn't grip a pen, 1 hour of craniosacral was the biggest turning point for my recovery.
6. Try out all the physical therapists. Don't just take the doctor's referral. Go out and find someone who has worked with your exact problem. Try mat pilates. Reformer pilates with spring resistance. Keep your body moving—but don't push yourself in a painful motion. Don't listen to the doctors prescribing rest—your muscles will atrophy like mine did and it will make the recovery take longer.
7. Keep going to different physical therapists and learning new muscle relaxation techniques. Build your own routine and do it morning and night. Close your eyes, as it's easier to feel micro movements that way.
8. Try everything once. Acupuncture, functional neurology, neuromuscular retraining, craniotomy, whatever. Alternative health practitioners are all different, so it's a numbers game. Go out there and find your team of individuals who can help you operate at your peak.

In addition to all of these, I also quit drinking and adjusted my digital setup to use my non-dominant side. After 4 years, I am more in tune with my body and I understand its signals better. I now have a workout that is building strength and retraining my muscles to stop pinching nerves. I can do things my doctors told me I'd never do again—dancing, hiking, playing sports. All because I never gave up on helping my body heal itself.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
Get well soon, MJ! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I look forward to catching you locals in Tampa in 2017... and who knows. I may pop in on a few of the other local events as I travel in 2017!

- Vigilante

Tampa you say? Small world. I know there's been talk about a FL meetup, I suppose we should actually put that together then.

Best wishes for your health MJ. Looking forward to making the 2018 event.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Although I've been eagerly awaiting this announcement for some time now, health always comes first.

Wishing you a smooth and speedy recovery.

nordien1978

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 5, 2013
Hello MJ,

Health is indeed very important hope you get well soon.
And i am definitely buying the book in the Spring/ Summer 2017.
The first book philosphy was so good couldn't stop reading it.

Best Regards,
Nordien

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Not Fantasy Football or who won threw the winning touchdown. All of it becomes pretty much irrelevant and secondary.

~ MJ

I know what you mean, as I'm getting used to the dreaded "wait for medical results" where your life just goes on hold. But I have to admit I also thought "well now I really feel bad about not trading him Matt Asiata"

The reality is you never really know what's going on in anyone else's life. I just assumed you were spending your days happily sitting there holding a very ugly cat like a bond villain.

Hope things improve for you mate.

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
Speedy recovery, MJ. Last year was my first time and it was life changing. It certainly won't be my last time.

I hope you the best with recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Always leave 'em wanting more. - Benjamin Franklin Lincoln

I'm not a great forum contributor, but I do have these elusive programmer skills. Happy to lend a hand if needed. If not, happy to listen to @Vigilante explain his horse racing betting strategy.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope you're feeling better, and that the doctors resolve whatever is wrong if it's medical, or that whatever else is casting a cloud over your life goes away. This is still the greatest place on the internet.

hatzil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Nov 29, 2015
Israel
@MJ DeMarco
Hey MJ, I suffer 4 years from dizziness, and my dad from autoimmune disease for 2 years and I decided to try to help my family.I came across a book,and I know it's too soon to recommend you this book(currently reading it,by far tons of value),but the author claims to solve broad spectrum of health problems,emphazasing a lot of digestion/energy/autoimmune conditions related to gluten,diary and sugar and other enviromental factors. he made a big research, and I think it's worth you give it a chance. I'm taking highlights&notes to give my family,and if you don't have the time to read it, I can send it to you if you want when I finish.

check it out if it interests you, I wish you the best man
https://www.amazon.com/Autoimmune-Fix-Hidden-Damage-Disease/dp/162336700X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479153755&sr=8-1&keywords=autoimmune fix

Last edited:

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear you've been having health issues. I'm glad, though, to hear that you're making getting well your top priority. You've created an amazing thing here with the forum, the community, the book, everything. You've changed so many lives for the better, so it's good to know that you're going to focus on your own as you tackle this latest challenge. Get well soon!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Best wishes to you M.J.! Hope you're feeling well soon! I hear you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.