The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The lifestyle, hobbies, and fun thread.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Life is more than work, work, and work.

This is your opportunity to share with the forum your life outside of business.

For example, if you're hiking up a mountain, share your pics.

Traveling for a few days? Share!

Getting married? Share a photo.

If you're entering a boxing competition, let us know.

If you're at a business conference, post pictures.

New personal bench press record? Post a video.

Proud of your new car? Let us know.

If you're on a fishing boat and drinking a margarita, drop us a pic.

I love seeing and hearing what others are doing around the world.

This also allows the community to get to know people better, including their locations, hobbies, and life outside of "Fastlane"

The more detail the better!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I'll go 2nd.

Been training brazilian jiu-jitsu for 2 years now, and I've got to say it's one of the best investments I've EVER made. Period.

If you're someone who struggles with making connections (building a network) or friends because you just don't have many people around you, I encourage you to join a BJJ school.

A lot of the people I train with have not just become lifelong friends, but a lot of them are also doing really cool stuff. A lot of people in this sport seem to be weirdly in love with entrepreneurship.

Specifically, I'd recommend joining a school that has franchises. The most popular one is Renzo Gracie schools which are all over the place.

If you sign up for a Renzo Gracie school, you also get free access to other renzo gracie schools while travelling.

You also get this "unity" effect when you train at a school like Renzo Gracie, where if you visit one that isn't your main spot, you'll get treated as family.

Personally, I've trained jiu-jitsu in different states and all around my state in different towns, and I've probably made 150-200 REAL friends thus far, which is so insanely cool.

The coolest thing about jiu jitsu is that when it's man vs man, and you battle it out with someone, the amount of respect you have for each other is unmatched.

Think about how much respect you'll have gained and given to others after training with 1,000 partners.

One of the greatest sports ever!

PS: if you want to read a great book on BJJ, check out "Breathe" by Rickson Gracie

cb226f5d1a05b210d1dbef7744049046.png

Last edited:

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016
Working toward my goal of 315 bench press. Almost there! Benching 315 lbs is something I've wanted to do since I got into lifting 15 years ago. It took a lot of wasted time until I realized that a shit diet makes everything you do in the gym virtually worthless.

Attachments

• flex.jpg
    flex.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
TL;DR: I recently got to meet and hang out with the 16 survivors of the 1972 Uruguayan Flight 571 plane crash incident, where they had to eat their dead/frozen friends and relatives, to survive. Also met the President of Uruguay.

------------------------

This might be long, but I thought I'd share this story. I've been traveling around the world for quite a while now, though moving slower these days (I and my fiancee). We've been parked in Buenos Aires, Argentina for over a year now.

In that time, we spent some weeks in neighboring Uruguay, some months ago. Shortly after we got there, we were invited to a small private event, where we got to meet some awesome men who embody survival and the sheer will to live, as well as the President of Uruguay. When I was a kid, my Mom told me the story of their horrible ordeal. They were the 16 survivors of Uruguayan Flight 571, in 1972. The 1993 Ethan Hawke movie called Alive is based on their story. It's a great movie. There's a new Netflix movie about it too, called Society of the Snow. There are many documentaries and books as well, including, Miracle in the Andes.

The summary of their story is they were a young rugby team on a small chartered plane from Uruguay to Chile, for a match. Some had a few family members with them. 45 on board. They crashed into the snow-covered Andes mountains, and 33 survived the impact. Search teams couldn't find them, and called off the search. They heard the search was called off on a small radio, and knew they were screwed.

They spent 72 days in those snow mountains, without food. Eventually, survival instincts kicked in, and they resolved to consume the flesh of their dead friends and relatives. They made an agreement that if any of them dies, it was okay for the rest to eat them. At the end of the ordeal, when two of them, Nando Parrado and Roberto Canessa walked/climbed over 50 miles of snowy mountains, for 10 days and got help, there were 16 total still alive.

Anyway, I've always found this story fascinating since my Mom told it to me as a kid. I also did a long speech about it in college, mostly focused on Nando and Roberto (as they were the "heroes" who saved the day). Fast forward to some months ago, when we were going to Montevideo, I told my fiancee I wonder if there was a way to meet Nando Parrado. I looked him up, and he charges $50k-100k per speech, so his time is valuable. That made it seem less likely to happen.

A series of random coincidences later, we got invited to an event by the owner of a museum dedicated to the incident. I'll tell the story on how we were invited later, if anyone is curious. We not only got to meet and chat with Nando, I and my fiancee spent a good while having a long chat with Roberto Canessa. Great guy with lots of jokes. He even invited us to a rugby match. All 16 survivors were there. All in their early 70s now (I'm mid-30s). The get-together event had about 50-60 people in attendance. Hanging out talking, eating empanadas, drinking beers and all.

The President was right next to me sometimes, but I didn't have a chat with him. I was honestly more interested in the survivors than the President. I guess our being invited to a private event where we were shoulder to shoulder with a current President, with no background checks is a testament to the safety in Uruguay. It was a really interesting experience, and I'm happy it all fell into place organically, as it did.

This was at the get-together event, which was also the 50th anniversary of the crash. These are some of the survivors, though all 16 were there. The one holding the book is the President of Uruguay. Roberto Canessa is 3rd from the right. Nando is not in this shot, but I do have pics with Nando and Roberto and more.

1685672569470.png

1685672682691.png

A quick 20 min YouTube video about the tragic incident.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pg__L5Ijr0

Last edited:

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
NidderRock-Schmerzensgeld.jpg

Its been a few months but this is still one of my proudest moments.

We won the Nidder-Rock Band contest against a really strong roster. Most of the other bands that evening were older and more experienced, some even had their own albums released. We played towards the beginning of the event and luckily, the host hyped up the crowd and got them close to the stage before we started. That combined with playing some classics and some really difficult songs, and having fun with the crowd made this gig one of my best ones and by a decent margin the best one of that night.

For those who dont know, I am the one with the flaming pants in the middle. I play guitar and also did backing vocals on that gig if I remember correctly. Some of the songs we played were "pull me under" by dream theatre and "The trooper" by Iron Maiden, among others.
In the end we won a day in a professional studio which, tbh, hasnt been too valuable since we are not really in a situation to record stuff there for now.

Sirrom

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Dec 5, 2020
IMG_0095.jpegChilling in Tbilisi, Georgia for a few days. Tomorrow we will explore the rest of the country.

Happy I could take a break as I’ve been working 70-80hr weeks for the last two years. Feels good to have it all figured out in life.

Also made some time for reflection about my business.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
Thought I'd share my sports obsession here.

I've been obsessed with windsurfing as much as possible, and that also includes using a hydrofoil underneath the board on certain days. That helps when the wind is light, as with the wings under water, you can force the board to a certain speed by working your hips and the sail, get the board above the water, and fly on the hydrofoil.

On light wind days (I'm talking 10mph winds and even less), with the right hydrofoil setup you can reach 20mph+ because of how low drag they are. Much less draggy than the board pushing water around. On high wind days you don't need it, but you can still use the foils if you want, with much smaller sails than it takes to push a board with a fin fast.

Anyway, I finally got to the point that I could turn the board quickly, get on the other side, flip the sail, and keep going at flying speed. It takes a ton of work to get flying again in light winds, so if you turn well you keep your speed up and come out of the turn still going fast.

It's not easy. It took me a couple of years to get there. I wasn't falling in all the time, but I was slowing down and it was exhausting getting going again on most days.

Here's an example of what that looks like, not me obviously:
View: https://youtu.be/cqUCvh1FB0U

There are also a ton of tricks that you can do. This guy in particular has been crushing it with tricks, posting a lot of guides on how to do various things. I've been picking up little bits and pieces. I would love to have even a tenth of his repertoire:
View: https://youtu.be/2RYnX-ME2kI

The great thing is there are lots of people in this sport that keep going into their 70s and older. I know several. And one of the top racers in the world recently retired at 50, still beating kids less than half his age and coming in the top 5 in many races. I've had the chance to meet a few of our top athletes here.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
View attachment 49058Chilling in Tbilisi, Georgia for a few days. Tomorrow we will explore the rest of the country.

Happy I could take a break as I’ve been working 70-80hr weeks for the last two years. Feels good to have it all figured out in life.

Also made some time for reflection about my business.

Nice! I did a few months here in summer a few years back, it was a lot of fun.

Check out Kazbegi and Batsumi as well.

Rooms hotel (Kazbegi) is a great choice if you do go to Kazbegi.
Also you can rent a nice 4x4 for now much money and drive up there yourself from Tbilisi.
They drive like crazy but it is fun to be able to stop off when you want.

Sirrom

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Dec 5, 2020
Nice! I did a few months here in summer a few years back, it was a lot of fun.

Check out Kazbegi and Batsumi as well.

Rooms hotel (Kazbegi) is a great choice if you do go to Kazbegi.
Also you can rent a nice 4x4 for now much money and drive up there yourself from Tbilisi.
They drive like crazy but it is fun to be able to stop off when you want.
Nice! Thanks for the tips @Fox

We rented a bmw X5 for the coming week. Going to gidauni(?? The church north of Tbilisi tomorrow).

I will check Rooms hotel out.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You guys are awesome, this is EXACTLY why I started this thread. So cool to see the other side of your lives beyond work and hustle! Carry on!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I just bought a early 1970's Porsche Targa 2.7S this week.

I won't see it till I am back in Ireland at the end of the summer - but my dad has been enjoying it so far ha.

It looks very similar to this... (I will post actual photos when I get home to drive it)

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 18.24.43.png

A few things behind buying this:
- got a great deal, it is like 20k euros under priced (great time to buy right now)
- gives me a good reason to get home more and enjoy driving around Ireland
- also gives my dad a fun toy to play with haha, he likes cars and I know he will sneak in some drives

I actually wanted to start a little thread on holding and then flipping cars without losing money - it seems a few people on the forum have done this really well over the years. It would be cool to try build up the skill and do it with some proper supercars in a while.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I just bought a early 1970's Porsche Targa 2.7S this week.

I won't see it till I am back in Ireland at the end of the summer - but my dad has been enjoying it so far ha.

It looks very similar to this... (I will post actual photos when I get home to drive it)

View attachment 49061

A few things behind buying this:
- got a great deal, it is like 20k euros under priced (great time to buy right now)
- gives me a good reason to get home more and enjoy driving around Ireland
- also gives my dad a fun toy to play with haha, he likes cars and I know he will sneak in some drives

I actually wanted to start a little thread on holding and then flipping cars without losing money - it seems a few people on the forum have done this really well over the years. It would be cool to try build up the skill and do it with some proper supercars in a while.
Have you looked at importing from the UK to Ireland? I know a guy who does it a couple of times a year and gets to drive some cool cars before turning a profit.

Glad your dad is driving your car. My dad drove mine when it was in his garage in the UK. I loved the idea of him bimbling about with the roof down.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Have you looked at importing from the UK to Ireland? I know a guy who does it a couple of times a year and gets to drive some cool cars before turning a profit.

Glad your dad is driving your car. My dad drove mine when it was in his garage in the UK. I loved the idea of him bimbling about with the roof down.

Ill make a thread on this soon - ya let's see what is good ha ;)

What car did you have Andy - post up those pics if you got them.

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
IMG_5076.jpeg

Every morning when the sky is clear I love to get up early to see the sunrise. Something magical about it to me :)

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I'm getting back into trail running and training for a tough and beautiful mountainous trail run in October. It has been a few years since the first (and only) time I've done it, and it was amazing. I've also been hiking and biking a bit. Anyone else use Strava? Would love to connect with you on there too to see all the awesome runs, walks, hikes, rides, etc. you do!
Screenshot_20230602-105257.png

I love plants. Now that it's spring/summer, I've been spending a bit of time in the yard/garden. I also love starting plants from seed - I have a few apple, apricot, pecan, peach, and avocado trees I've started from seed and it has been so exciting and rewarding to see them grow, even if it will be many many years before they even potentially produce any fruit.
IMG_20230602_101227138.jpg

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
47DE3147-C6B7-4BC3-8C04-23974DD93316.jpegThat’s me in front, first time on a race track on my Triumph a couple weeks ago. This was the most exciting thing I’ve ever done, and an absolute life long dream. This experience, coupled with the influence of the motorcycle thread has made me never want to ride on the street again.

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Some of the best fun I had was backpacking through Europe with a best mate. Plan was to fly from UK to Istanbul, then snake out way all the way back.

We ended up doing 4000km, being friends (and travelling) with 30 people & went through 12 different countries in 30 days. The best places I found were Prague, Budapest & Istanbul, but everywhere was amazing.

Best thing is I now have an endless supply of stories to tell, it never gets boring!

Interrail Route.png

Here's some of my favorites

Screenshot_2023-06-02-21-15-40-965_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg

Screenshot_2023-06-02-21-13-23-411_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpgScreenshot_2023-06-02-21-10-02-348_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg
Screenshot_2023-06-02-21-15-07-595_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg

Last edited:

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I just painted some lillies for my mom, since I’ll be visiting Buenos Aires during June… just realized the canvas doesn’t fit the suitcase LOL. #fml

F45B602C-2AFE-4D7F-A2AD-CA596C3F1D6A.jpeg

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
I also love starting plants from seed - I have a few apple, apricot, pecan, peach, and avocado trees I've started from seed and it has been so exciting and rewarding to see them grow, even if it will be many many years before they even potentially produce any fruit.
I was thinking of doing exactly this as a business therapy.
Planting a seed, taking care of the tree, and eventually it will bear fruit. :gold:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

@MJ DeMarco Thanks for starting this thread! It's the best thing ever.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States

Attachments

• Scuba Diving Open Water Certified!!.mp4
    968.3 KB · Views: 0

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
IMG_0167.jpegIMG_0164.jpegthe weather this week is awesome for outdoor fun. I ditched my car for office commuting!

Chasing views and good times.
IMG_0162.jpeg

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
IMG_5094.jpeg

Alright Fastlane community had to share this one of this morning. Have a great weekend!

@Antifragile awesome pictures. This weekend another tour?

@MJ DeMarco thank you for starting this thread! Great way to connect in other ways.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Saturday morning here in Ireland. We got up at 7am and drove the hour to Bray Head just outside Dublin. Nothing too strenuous walking up it and the blue skies made for a great view of Dublin.

Going round to my brother-in-law's with a few beers to watch the FA Cup Final in a couple of hours. It's Man U vs Man City and there should be a few Man U fans to make it interesting. My brother-in-law is a Liverpool fan, and I follow Newcastle (who did great this year). I can't believe I'm saying this, but we'll likely support Man U, rather than see City doing the treble.

Hi from the Black family:

20230603_091727.jpg

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
View attachment 49065That’s me in front, first time on a race track on my Triumph a couple weeks ago. This was the most exciting thing I’ve ever done, and an absolute life long dream. This experience, coupled with the influence of the motorcycle thread has made me never want to ride on the street again.
The road isn't worth it.

Nice bike!

Akaushra

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Apr 15, 2023
I think the greatest decision I've made is in my fitness.

Let's go back.
I'm a very skinny person. Even now, I still weigh almost 20 pounds less than average. I blame genetics and my aversion to water. (which is easier in the summer). I'm also pretty weak, today i'm probably 40th precentile but before I started I couldn't do a single pull-up or run for longer than three minutes or plank. About 8 months ago started karate (tang so do), which I was so weak at but got better and better over time. 6 months ago I started going to the gym but got kicked out, now I do home workouts. I’ve already come so far and I’m going way further.
Working toward my goal of 315 bench press. Almost there! Benching 315 lbs is something I've wanted to do since I got into lifting 15 years ago. It took a lot of wasted time until I realized that a shit diet makes everything you do in the gym virtually worthless.
LETS GO BUDDY WERE ALL GONNA MAKE IT

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
343468926_263451939573903_7110542806608629342_n.jpg

I recently started training with kettlebells. I went on a trip to another city (kettlebells in the car trunk) and didn't want to risk damaging the Airbnb place where I was staying.

So I took my kettlebells to a riverbank outside the city and trained there.

Sounds so obvious but it's such a game changer. I usually train in my basement. It's a dark, dusty place with zero natural light. No matter how much I sweep the floor there, it's always covered in dust, sand, etc. It might have that "underground gym" feel but it's not really a healthy place to work out.

At the riverbank I could do my training, get early morning natural light exposure (something that I've been doing religiously every single day for the past several weeks already) and enjoy wildlife (lots of birds in the area), trees, grass, blue skies, etc.

I now keep the kettlebells in my car trunk and drive with them wherever in the nature I want to train. This is where I plan to train tomorrow after paddleboarding (picture from a couple of weeks ago):

pb.jpg

Definitely beats any gym.

This simple change makes sticking to a strength training routine easier for me. I don't really like strength workouts and prefer activities in nature like running, paddleboarding, surfing, diving, etc. Taking kettlebells into nature makes it way more enjoyable plus increases my time outside which is a big win in itself as that's been my focus for the last few months.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.