The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unpacking My Kettlebell After a 1000-Mile Flight: A Lesson in Urgency

Anything related to matters of the mind

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Here’s a picture of a 16 kg kettlebell being unpacked after a 1000-mile flight from Darwin to Cairns:

kbd.jpg

As you can see, this ball of cast iron has (unsurprisingly) arrived intact. Checked in (hilariously) as “oversized” luggage, I grabbed it off the baggage carousel at my destination and carried it through the airport and into the trunk of my rental car.

It now sits in a home gym of my Airbnb and will stay here to hopefully serve future guests (approved by the owner). Before I leave, it’ll give me three weeks of solid workouts.

But let me rewind a little…

As I arrived in my favorite part of Australia, the Sunshine Coast, I decided to get some private MMA coaching. During one class, I was told by my coach to lift my (heavy) partner off the ground and carry him across the gym. I realized that I couldn’t do it.

My posterior chain was too weak. I’ve never liked strength exercises and preferred endurance workouts. And it made me weak.

The coach advised me to strengthen my back or carrying a sparring partner would be the least of my worries soon. I did some research and learned about Pavel Tsatsouline’s Simple and Sinister program that helps a lot with strengthening one’s core.

I was about to leave for my next destination, Darwin, so I decided to buy a kettlebell there. Despite staying there for only 10 days, I calculated that even if I couldn’t transport the kettlebell with me to another destination, it would still be worth it.

It was 10 days of workouts I would otherwise miss. And since the price of a kettlebell was the same as a casual gym pass (the equivalent of about 70 USD), the decision was easy to make. $7 per workout isn’t a bad price.

In the end, after calling the airline I learned that it was possible to check in the kettlebell. I was able to transport it to my next destination for further three weeks of workouts for the cost of $5 for some bubble wrap and duct tape needed to “protect” it from the harsh airport conditions.

Thank you for reading my story. I needed your attention. Now, what does it have to do with you?

Do You Have a Sense of Urgency?

The point of my story is that I could have decided to start working out a month later, back in Europe where I live more permanently. Buying a kettlebell for a 10-day stay, let alone the trouble of carrying it across airports, makes little sense, doesn’t it? It sounds like such a waste of time and money.

But here’s what separates me from other people to my benefit: I have a very deep sense of urgency.

I can’t stand wasting time if I decide to do something. Sure, probably nothing bad would have happened if I had waited. But that’s still a MONTH of my life. A month during which I could strengthen my back, feel better, prevent injuries, and start carrying people across the gym.

A month is a LOT of time. Heck, even a week can make a big difference.

When I first started my kettlebell workouts, I did them with improper form and my lower back hurt like a bitch for a week. But by the end of my stay in Darwin I was fairly confident in my technique. And in Cairns, I started proper workouts and was able to get into a solid routine straight away.

In my conversations with other people I’m often struck by how little sense of urgency they have.

They plan vacations with their aging parents for the next year (in one recent sad example, a friend lost her father before they could turn these plans into reality).

They plan to quit a job they absolutely despise when they’re xx years old, forgetting they may be dead by that time.

They ignore injuries or other signals their bodies send them until it’s impossible to fix them without invasive measures like a surgery.

We like to think there’s always more time. But there’s no such guarantee.

How Do You Develop a Sense of Urgency?

In his bestselling book Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk wrote:

“You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap.”

Pardon me for being morbid but this is about you, too. You’ll be dead. Sooner or later your beautiful sexy body is going to become the same compost heap consumed by decidedly not-sexy worms.

I have such a deep sense of urgency is because I think of death every day. While taken to the extreme it can become an obsession, in healthy amounts it serves as a powerful reminder that the clock is ticking every day.

Think of all the things you wanted to do that you kept postponing, waiting for better circumstances or because it wasn’t “sensible” to do it (such as buying a kettlebell for a 10-day stay).

How much time have you lost this way?

Each day counts.

If you want to do something, start doing it now, even imperfectly. While others are “reasonable,” you’ll be moving fast.

This applies to every aspect of life. If something is important to you, start as soon as possible.

It’s better to start fast and make mistakes along the way than keep waiting and make the same mistakes anyway (but having lost a week, a month, or a year of your life not doing it).

As for me, I’m now heading to the gym to throw the kettlebell around.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Here’s a picture of a 16 kg kettlebell being unpacked after a 1000-mile flight from Darwin to Cairns:

View attachment 48372

As you can see, this ball of cast iron has (unsurprisingly) arrived intact. Checked in (hilariously) as “oversized” luggage, I grabbed it off the baggage carousel at my destination and carried it through the airport and into the trunk of my rental car.

It now sits in a home gym of my Airbnb and will stay here to hopefully serve future guests (approved by the owner). Before I leave, it’ll give me three weeks of solid workouts.

As I arrived in my favorite part of Australia, the Sunshine Coast, I decided to get some private MMA coaching. During one class, I was told by my coach to lift my (heavy) partner off the ground and carry him across the gym. I realized that I couldn’t do it.

My posterior chain was too weak. I’ve never liked strength exercises and preferred endurance workouts. And it made me weak.

The coach advised me to strengthen my back or carrying a sparring partner would be the least of my worries soon. I did some research and learned about Pavel Tsatsouline’s Simple and Sinister program that helps a lot with strengthening one’s core.

I was about to leave for my next destination, Darwin, so I decided to buy a kettlebell there. Despite staying there for only 10 days, I calculated that even if I couldn’t transport the kettlebell with me to another destination, it would still be worth it.

It was 10 days of workouts I would otherwise miss. And since the price of a kettlebell was the same as a casual gym pass (the equivalent of about 70 USD), the decision was easy to make. $7 per workout isn’t a bad price.

In the end, after calling the airline I learned that it was possible to check in the kettlebell. I was able to transport it to my next destination for further three weeks of workouts for the cost of $5 for some bubble wrap and duct tape needed to “protect” it from the harsh airport conditions.

Thank you for reading my story. I needed your attention. Now, what does it have to do with you?

The point of my story is that I could have decided to start working out a month later, back in Europe where I live more permanently. Buying a kettlebell for a 10-day stay, let alone the trouble of carrying it across airports, makes little sense, doesn’t it? It sounds like such a waste of time and money.

But here’s what separates me from other people to my benefit: I have a very deep sense of urgency.

I can’t stand wasting time if I decide to do something. Sure, probably nothing bad would have happened if I had waited. But that’s still a MONTH of my life. A month during which I could strengthen my back, feel better, prevent injuries, and start carrying people across the gym.

When I first started my kettlebell workouts, I did them with improper form and my lower back hurt like a bitch for a week. But by the end of my stay in Darwin I was fairly confident in my technique. And in Cairns, I started proper workouts and was able to get into a solid routine straight away.

In my conversations with other people I’m often struck by how little sense of urgency they have.

They plan vacations with their aging parents for the next year (in one recent sad example, a friend lost her father before they could turn these plans into reality).

They plan to quit a job they absolutely despise when they’re xx years old, forgetting they may be dead by that time.

They ignore injuries or other signals their bodies send them until it’s impossible to fix them without invasive measures like a surgery.

“You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap.”

Pardon me for being morbid but this is about you, too. You’ll be dead. Sooner or later your beautiful sexy body is going to become the same compost heap consumed by decidedly not-sexy worms.

I have such a deep sense of urgency is because I think of death every day. While taken to the extreme it can become an obsession, in healthy amounts it serves as a powerful reminder that the clock is ticking every day.

Think of all the things you wanted to do that you kept postponing, waiting for better circumstances or because it wasn’t “sensible” to do it (such as buying a kettlebell for a 10-day stay).

How much time have you lost this way?

Each day counts.

If you want to do something, start doing it now, even imperfectly. While others are “reasonable,” you’ll be moving fast.

This applies to every aspect of life. If something is important to you, start as soon as possible.

It’s better to start fast and make mistakes along the way than keep waiting and make the same mistakes anyway (but having lost a week, a month, or a year of your life not doing it).

Great philosophy.
For the same reason I went out door to door the very next day bizy told me to do so.

Turned out to be a great experience.

kendamakid

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Apr 14, 2018
USA

This is a great little reminder to maximize your day and to do what you can no matter how little. Your story hit home on areas of my own lack of urgency and made me realize why some things are not working.

After having your FTE, the sense of urgency must be started

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Thank you for this superb post. I feel the sense of urgency & loved this little reminder.
You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap.”
This is fantastic too. I'll remember this.

I think so many put off stuff because they can justify that "they have time". You're dead right that they may not be around to achieve their postponed goal. (pun intended)

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Gold.

The preciousness and limited nature of time is one of my core pillars of understanding the world and navigating through life.

Time is extremely precious for two fundamental reasons, both of which you have illustrated in this thread:
  1. It goes away forever and there are no refunds. What you chose to do yesterday cannot be changed. And you never know how many todays you have left.
  2. One month, or even one week is a tremendous amount of time in which you can permanently alter the course of your life - for better or worse. Success is a long game, and it's an iterative process, but make no mistake: life changing decisions can happen today.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Sooner or later your beautiful sexy body is going to become the same compost heap
In 200 years time, me and @BizyDad will be the most visually appealing compost heap in the whole graveyard. :fire::bicep:

Other interesting things I've noticed in this thread:

• How the hell did you manage to get that thing on an airplane without 2 hours of careful inspection of the object by the entire security team is completely beyond my comprehension

• I love the fact that the kettlebell had to be wrapped in protective packaging. But it was not for its own protection. It was to protect the other items from the kettlebell.

The kettlebell is not in danger.
The kettlebell is the danger.

View: https://youtu.be/31Voz1H40zI?t=79

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
638%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ

Great post + reminder as always.

I think in order to 'act and move fast' - you need to be OK with some version of imperfect (slop), be OK 'wasting' time and/or money, and acting on incomplete information. It's almost a mindset you have to take on - and when mistakes are looked down upon by you and by others it paralyzes us from taking on a new move before we're 110% certain.

I'd consider it a skill to take on a new role, and be OK dropping/switching course when that new role doesn't fit you anymore (sooner then later). All of these are VERY hard to at times, and many times leaves you at a standstill rather then the 'fail fast' approach advised by many.

I'm also guilty of the pendulum that you describe - and try to measure 10X before cutting once - even when I keep reminding myself that moving forward with any step is the right action today.

I do know in many instances it would benefit me greatly (and add more to my life experience, wealth, knowledge etc.) to measure 1X and cut 10X different pieces in certain instances - I'd most likely learn a heck of a lot more and get to the 'end goal' faster then I would have otherwise.

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022

View attachment 48372

Pardonnez-moi d'être morbide, mais c'est aussi à propos de vous. Vous serez mort. Tôt ou tard, votre beau corps sexy deviendra le même tas de compost consommé par des vers décidément pas sexy.

J'ai un tel sentiment d'urgence parce que je pense à la mort tous les jours. Bien que poussé à l'extrême, il peut devenir une obsession, en quantités saines, il sert de puissant rappel que l'horloge tourne tous les jours.

Pensez à toutes les choses que vous vouliez faire et que vous n'arrêtiez pas de reporter, en attendant de meilleures circonstances ou parce que ce n'était pas « raisonnable » de le faire (comme acheter un kettlebell pour un séjour de 10 jours).

Combien de temps as-tu perdu ainsi ?

Chaque jour compte.

Si vous voulez faire quelque chose, commencez à le faire maintenant, même imparfaitement. Alors que d'autres sont « raisonnables », vous avancerez rapidement.

Thank you for this post. It is a good reminder to act daily and do what we have to do without delay. No time to wait

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Great philosophy.
For the same reason I went out door to door the very next day bizy told me to do so.

Turned out to be a great experience.

Way to take action! Usually when someone smarter than you tells you to do something it's a good idea to follow their advice.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
This is a great little reminder to maximize your day and to do what you can no matter how little. Your story hit home on areas of my own lack of urgency and made me realize why some things are not working.

After having your FTE, the sense of urgency must be started

So what is the first step you're going to take today?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Thank you for this superb post. I feel the sense of urgency & loved this little reminder.

This is fantastic too. I'll remember this.

I think so many put off stuff because they can justify that "they have time". You're dead right that they may not be around to achieve their postponed goal. (pun intended)

We all think we have time since that's what happens every day. You go to sleep, you wake up, and boom, you have another day. But then one day you don't.

If you're lucky you die quickly and don't have time to regret your past choices. If you're unlucky and suffer for days, weeks or months, I can't imagine worse mental torture thinking that you can NEVER ever go back in time and live a fuller life.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
How the hell did you manage to get that thing on an airplane without 2 hours of careful inspection of the object by the entire security team is completely beyond my comprehension

Lol that's Australia mate. At least when flying domestically it's pretty chill. Same in New Zealand. We once flew from Auckland in the North Island to Nelson on the South Island without any security whatsoever. Just check in your luggage and wait for your flight.

In Australia the airport where I checked in my kettlebell was mostly a regional airport (Darwin, Northern Territory) so I guess people don't care. These are the same dudes that fish in waters frequented by saltwater crocodiles. The lady didn't even ask me what it was. Just told me to check it in as oversized luggage. The guy from the oversize luggage check-in didn't care either. I guess they deal with weirder stuff in their everyday lives.

I love the fact that the kettlebell had to be wrapped in protective packaging. But it was not for its own protection. It was to protect the other items from the kettlebell.

Lol that was hilarious. I wanted to ship it as it is (after all, it's just a piece of cast iron) but after a 20-minute phone call Qantas told me it had to be wrapped.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Great post + reminder as always.

I think in order to 'act and move fast' - you need to be OK with some version of imperfect (slop), be OK 'wasting' time and/or money, and acting on incomplete information. It's almost a mindset you have to take on - and when mistakes are looked down upon by you and by others it paralyzes us from taking on a new move before we're 110% certain.

I'd consider it a skill to take on a new role, and be OK dropping/switching course when that new role doesn't fit you anymore (sooner then later). All of these are VERY hard to at times, and many times leaves you at a standstill rather then the 'fail fast' approach advised by many.

I'm also guilty of the pendulum that you describe - and try to measure 10X before cutting once - even when I keep reminding myself that moving forward with any step is the right action today.

I do know in many instances it would benefit me greatly (and add more to my life experience, wealth, knowledge etc.) to measure 1X and cut 10X different pieces in certain instances - I'd most likely learn a heck of a lot more and get to the 'end goal' faster then I would have otherwise.

It's a skill as any other. I tend to hesitate often, sometimes with very insignificant stuff. Then whatever I decide, I get FOMO because I didn't choose that other thing.

I guess you just need to be okay with cutting off these "escape routes" and committing to just one that, at the moment of the decision, made most sense. This, plus if you decide quickly but it doesn't work, you can drop it and try another thing (so you test two things while another person hasn't even tested one).

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Resistance bands?

You can't train your posterior chain the same way with resistance bands. I travel with one but I use it for stretching.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
You can't train your posterior chain the same way with resistance bands.
According to the legend himself (Pavel Tsatsouline), you cannot do this without the use of free weights. Barbells, kettlebells, boulders, furniture, the family dog etc.

Was interested in replacing barbell sumo deadlifts with kettlebell swings to see what will happen. I'm very concerned about learning the proper technique though.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
According to the legend himself (Pavel Tsatsouline), you cannot do this without the use of free weights. Barbells, kettlebells, boulders, furniture, the family dog etc.

Was interested in replacing barbell sumo deadlifts with kettlebell swings to see what will happen. I'm very concerned about learning the proper technique though.

IMO kettlebell swings are way easier to learn properly than Turkish get-ups (the second exercise in Simple & Sinister).

I'm going to book a video lesson with Pavel Macek (Pavel's right hand man) to fix my form as the Turkish get-up is a bit confusing even when filming myself and constantly checking my form.

If you're concerned about the proper technique, I suggest the same. I also suggest buying the Simple & Sinister video course as I find it way more helpful than the book (it's also presented by Pavel Macek).

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Unpacking My Kettlebell After A 1000-Mile Flight: A Lesson In Urgency" is an essay by Tim Ferriss that highlights the importance of setting priorities and taking action with urgency. In the essay, Ferriss shares a personal experience of unpacking his kettlebell after a long flight and how it taught him a lesson about the value of urgency in achieving success.
@MTF , the author of The 4-Hour Work Week, highlights the importance of prioritizing actions which have the highest return on time, in order to maximize efficiency and reducing stress. He is also an advocate for the ketogenic diet for therapeutic purposes.

Thank you for writing that book @MTF

I haven't read it (yet), but thank you anyway.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
@MTF , the author of The 4-Hour Work Week, highlights the importance of prioritizing actions which have the highest return on time, in order to maximize efficiency and reducing stress. He is also an advocate for the ketogenic diet for therapeutic purposes.

Thank you for writing that book @MTF

I haven't read it (yet), but thank you anyway.

LOL the forum has sure changed a lot since I was more active. AI spam bots, nice.

John Clancy

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Feb 23, 2015

Adding on to @MTF's recommendations - depending on where you're located and how interested you are, it might be worth checking if there's a StrongFirst gym or accredited StrongFirst Instructor in your area.

Videos are great: particularly if you've been training for a while & have good motor control etc. But hands-on instruction from an expert is useful if you want dial in your form before going hard.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
You can't train your posterior chain the same way with resistance bands. I travel with one but I use it for stretching.
Of course you can. If you don't want to spend time rearranging your training schedule and does not work for you that's OK.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
IMO kettlebell swings are way easier to learn properly than Turkish get-ups (the second exercise in Simple & Sinister).

I'm going to book a video lesson with Pavel Macek (Pavel's right hand man) to fix my form as the Turkish get-up is a bit confusing even when filming myself and constantly checking my form.

If you're concerned about the proper technique, I suggest the same. I also suggest buying the Simple & Sinister video course as I find it way more helpful than the book (it's also presented by Pavel Macek).
I'm about to head to the gym with our 14 yo for a bit of kettlebell swings and then some weights. Will check these out. Fully expecting to see Sinister @Lex DeVille in the videos somehow.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.