The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The lifestyle, hobbies, and fun thread.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
To this day, I know that I'll never have another pet. For me it's too much to handle, knowing that the dog will almost certainly die before you, guaranteeing immense pain when it happens.
You could always get a pet tortoise. I know that you can't walk them like a dog, but they'll probably outlive you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
This is why their are so many senior dogs at the shelters. People do not want to have a dog for 1-3 years because of this. They would rather get a puppy. However, I'd rather get a senior dog and provide it its best life in its remaining years. I can deal with the grief knowing that its had the best years of its life.

I would encourage you to rethink this position. The immense pain eventually becomes happy memories. I know a few people who have the same reasoning as you and have never gotten a dog again.

I've been through this many times and each time I feel it makes me stronger and more aware of life and time. Also, it made me realize that life is not all about me. Part of our time on earth is to make the life of others better. Right now there is a dog out there that is sitting in a shelter that you could be giving a great life to. If the only trade off between your and its joy and happiness for many years is a relatively short period of grieving and pain, you should make that trade 100% of the time.

That's one of the reasons but another (even more important) is that I travel too often. I wouldn't be able to have a pet because then I wouldn't be able to travel and I wouldn't want to leave it somewhere for a few months while I'm gone (and flying with a dog to a different continent isn't really a sensible option).

You could always get a pet tortoise. I know that you can't walk them like a dog, but they'll probably outlive you.

Same as above.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
View attachment 49058Chilling in Tbilisi, Georgia for a few days. Tomorrow we will explore the rest of the country.

Happy I could take a break as I’ve been working 70-80hr weeks for the last two years. Feels good to have it all figured out in life.

Also made some time for reflection about my business.
Was there a couple of days ago, enjoy!

Last edited:
G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Ironically most of the stuff in this thread can be enjoyed for free.

Honestly what I thought too :rofl:

Big difference is the attitude of the poster.

Instead of using fun/hobbies to "escape" your "real" life...

It's here to compliment a good baseline life.

My hobbies haven't changed dramatically.

I'm just less stressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
MJ - I am so sorry about Hachi.

I was able to take time off before the Big Summer Marketing Push to go visit kids (and dogs) on both coasts. Being me, I took like 4 photos the whole time, but here is the view of Ft. Ticonderoga from Mt. Defiance: IMG_4528.jpg

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The joy he added to our lives is immeasurable.

I'll take this immense, heart-wrenching pain in exchange for the lifelong memories I have with him. That's the price of having a dog that becomes woven into the fabric of your life, from errands, to travel, to hobbies, to work, to bedtime. I get it that for a lot of people, the price of having part of your family suddenly disappear, is too much to bear.

Sorry for your loss, MJ. I think about this a lot as my oldest cat is 10. In terms of lifespan, statistically there’s a chance I’ll get more, but like you said, you never, never know. She’s been with me since the first year I moved in to the US. That means she’s been with me through the totality of my journey in a new country, through and out of a toxic relationship and into a great one, each job change, each lifestyle change. I cannot hold back my tears only thinking one day she’ll be gone and it could be tomorrow. For that reason I tell myself, each time she wakes me up at 5am, it’s not gonna be forever and forgive her, lol.

And yet all that pain is worth it if you think about how happy and loved his life must have been. I try to remember that for us they are “temporary” but for them, we are their whole life, from whenever we meet until their last days. So I guess that thought I’d like to try to express here is that… imagine that if you experienced joy and you know you gave him your best shot, how happy he must have been with you. 10x your joy. Dogs are so, so grateful. He must have been one very happy boy.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
This is why their are so many senior dogs at the shelters. People do not want to have a dog for 1-3 years because of this. They would rather get a puppy. However, I'd rather get a senior dog and provide it its best life in its remaining years. I can deal with the grief knowing that its had the best years of its life.

I would encourage you to rethink this position. The immense pain eventually becomes happy memories. I know a few people who have the same reasoning as you and have never gotten a dog again.

I've been through this many times and each time I feel it makes me stronger and more aware of life and time. Also, it made me realize that life is not all about me. Part of our time on earth is to make the life of others better. Right now there is a dog out there that is sitting in a shelter that you could be giving a great life to. If the only trade off between your and its joy and happiness for many years is a relatively short period of grieving and pain, you should make that trade 100% of the time.

giphy.gif

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
The joy he added to our lives is immeasurable.

I'll take this immense, heart-wrenching pain in exchange for the lifelong memories I have with him. That's the price of having a dog that becomes woven into the fabric of your life, from errands, to travel, to hobbies, to work, to bedtime. I get it that for a lot of people, the price of having part of your family suddenly disappear, is too much to bear.

Sorry for your loss MJ.

When my dog died, I cried my F*cking eyes out. Not only it was the dog I grew up with in my childhood, but this event was also a brutal reminder that we're all going in the same direction. This is the catastrophe of life.

But soon after I remembered that she is not gone. She's up in the heavens, will always love me, and wants to see me to hit 8 figures by the end of the decade.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Hate to be the first to post a buzzkill, but I had to euthanize my loyal companion, best friend, and co-worker last night.

I'd love to write something poignant and meaningful, but I'm devastated and words cannot describe the pain and hollowness I now feel. My wife and I tried to spend every moment with him in his last days, and I feel incredibly grateful that we had the opportunity to do so, so I apologize if I haven't been around much, and certainly not cheery.

My beloved Hachi was with me and my wife everyday for the last 9 years since the first day we rescued him from the pound.

It happened so fast, and so unexpectedly.

He was fine 1 month ago, running, galloping...

And now he's gone.

Cherish those you love, because you never know when they might be gone a few days later.
Hey MJ, I’m so sorry for your loss. I know what it feels like, I currently have a dog whos older than me, nearly 14, we know the day will come, but shes still lively. She means the world to me, you just got to think about the good moments during this, I really hope you guys will feel better soon, he probably had the best time with you and your wife, from start to end.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
I was just playing bingo with my grandma, I hung out with her puppy, fun day today. :blush: Got to wake up tomorrow and get ready to leave though, nice to have a break.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just took a random drive in my UTV around the neighborhood. Stopped to smell the surroundings and took everything in.

Every so often, if you don't find yourself making the statement "I can't believe I live here" you need to move.

Life is short.

Go somewhere that inspires your soul.

IMG_2831.JPG

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Just took a random drive in my UTV around the neighborhood. Stopped to smell the surroundings and took everything in.

Every so often, if you don't find yourself making the statement "I can't believe I live here" you need to move.

Life is short.

View attachment 49260
It’s a WIP for me! I hope your doing well MJ, I hope the loss of your best friend and your recovery goes well. I lost my best cat friend not to long ago, but im grateful for the memories that we’ve had together. Im sure you feel the same about your Dog.

That nature scenery though is amazing!

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

Life is short.

View attachment 49260
Definitely will make a visit up there for sure!

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Went to a really cool waterfall in North Yorkshire, UK. Forgot how good cold water feels & how refreshing it would be in 26 degree heat!

IMG-20230611-WA0038.jpg

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Life is short.

View attachment 49260
We love doing the same on the golf cart! A very chill family activity.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Ironically most of the stuff in this thread can be enjoyed for free.
100%. You don't need to have a successful business to be doing these things. Hell, I'm doing all of these things while in a 9-5.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Believe it or not… this was all business … :)

Who said business can’t be pleasure?!
IMG_0295.jpeg

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Does anyone own an electric bike? Any brand recommendations?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Does anyone own an electric bike? Any brand recommendations?
I have electric mountain bikes. But you’re probably looking for something not as complicated? Mine is a Specialized Turbo Levo.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
image.jpgIm at Canadas Wonderland! defeating my fears!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Been having a ton of fun with capoeira lately.

View attachment 49299
Oh, nice! I did a little capoeira when I was younger. How long have you been doing capoeira? And any specific reasons? For the dance aspect or the fight?

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Oh, nice! I did a little capoeira when I was younger. How long have you been doing capoeira? And any specific reasons? For the dance aspect or the fight?

For about a year and a half. Yeah I'm doing it for a couple of reasons.

First mobility. I do personal training twice a week and physiotherapy once a week, I wanted to add something that worked on my flexibility and mobility. If your body is stiff, your mind is stiff.

The second part is the social aspect. It's great to build a community there. No one is above anyone, the more experienced help the less experienced, and it's a great atmosphere to be in.

The third thing is fun. It's just damn fun when you can play a game of capoeira and you're in the zone. It's one of the activities for me that induce the highest amount of flow, that state where you lose track of time and are completely in the moment. Feels very rewarding.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.