The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why I hate the podcast trend and watching Youtube

Anything related to matters of the mind

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Also worth noting that the Facebook newsfeed is another place where huge amounts of video are consumed - and regardless of hearing impairment, the stuff that autoplays in your newsfeed is muted. Personally i'll tend to stop and watch if there's subtitles in the video, but if i have to click it, turn up the volume and actually listen i'll skim on past.

And it's surprising the amount of video I see in my own feed that still doesn't have subtitles - given the known fact that the video is going to be muted...

Edit: Amusing story - I've recently sat here at work enraged as a mega ad agency (full of social media ninja guru hipsters) has produced a 6-figure 'viral' internet commercial, to be expensively run by me in the FB newsfeed.....without any thought to how the newsfeed (or user) behaves (I'm an idiot and figured this out, but as I'm not charging 6 figs no one listens to me), so there's no captions, subtitles etc. Just a video with peoples mouths flapping that means nothing when its muted. It's 'too late' for this simple change now apparently. Blew my mind lol.

Hahaha, i usually try to avoid facebook other than its messaging system... its much easier to find people ive met on it than any other resource out there and i can message directly to them easily.

And i love your label of the "social media ninja guru hipsters" but i think you forgot "barista on the side when times are rough"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
Hahaha, i usually try to avoid facebook other than its messaging system... its much easier to find people ive met on it than any other resource out there and i can message directly to them easily.

And i love your label of the "social media ninja guru hipsters" but i think you forgot "barista on the side when times are rough"

LOL having seen quite a shocking lack of knowledge on the part of the agency hipsters slash social media ninjas, I'd agree that they most likely know more about making coffee or at least ordering it! ;) if I could bullshit people in meetings like those guys, I'd own an agency...

I mainly use Facebook for groups tbh, but do skim my newsfeed now and again, my job is running mostly fb advertising so it's good to keep up with how others are doing it. It kinda paid off as it made me notice how we just got screwed at work with a video that wasn't made with its distribution platform in mind....

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I hate the way frogs communicate. They should honestly put their bloated ribbits into a text format. I would certainly prefer that over the sound and visual that they generate...

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
I hate the way frogs communicate. They should honestly put their bloated ribbits into a text format. I would certainly prefer that over the sound and visual that they generate...

That's an interesting visual bahaha, but it works!

minirich

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 4, 2016
Austria
I can't stand it in podcasts and videos if people start to congratulate each other for the great work they do, and how thankful they are that the other is here. Damned, if he was not grateful he would not put the podcast/video up. But the worst thing for me is you can't really skip it because you don't know when the good stuff starts.

When reading you can skim, jump back if you find something and reread it.
Not so easy in video/audio, and you possible end up spending more time by jumping back and forth than the whole piece is long.

samsara

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Mar 6, 2013
Mexico
I can't stand it in podcasts and videos if people start to congratulate each other for the great work they do, and how thankful they are that the other is here. Damned, if he was not grateful he would not put the podcast/video up. But the worst thing for me is you can't really skip it because you don't know when the good stuff starts.

When reading you can skim, jump back if you find something and reread it.
Not so easy in video/audio, and you possible end up spending more time by jumping back and forth than the whole piece is long.

I would like an index in audio/video, some kind of reference in text for example:

00:01 - 00:30 Podcast intro
00:31 - 02:30 Guest presentation
02:31 - 09:00 Title 1

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
I would like an index in audio/video, some kind of reference in text for example:

Yeah I would like that too, so you could have some gauge on the conversation pace

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
I used to listen to them. Podcasts have become too commercialized for my interest. Its hard to find a good one and frankly not worth it. Podcasts usually take a vital piece of information from a book or a other niche piece of information and turn it into a 45 minute conversation with interludes, intros, product advertisements (whether subtle or upfront), etc. Almost every podcast has a bigger meaning: usually the author trying to push out free content so that they can turn a % into paid subscribers, or purchase from their affiliates. The content is pushed in such a way to make it seem like something you should know when really its just another random piece of information that may not be pertinent to you at this point in time.

Not many podcasts are listed on YouTube now, and if they are, its because they are pushing out a book, a new seminar, a premium subscription, etc. Otherwise I need to be a member of their website, login with social media, etc.

I think for entertainment purposes on a Sunday evening, driving, or when you wake up or before you go to sleep they could be useful - granted you find exactly what you're looking for.

Otherwise I'll just stick to reading.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
I used to listen to them. Podcasts have become too commercialized for my interest. Its hard to find a good one and frankly not worth it. Podcasts usually take a vital piece of information from a book or a other niche piece of information and turn it into a 45 minute conversation with interludes, intros, product advertisements (whether subtle or upfront), etc. Almost every podcast has a bigger meaning: usually the author trying to push out free content so that they can turn a % into paid subscribers, or purchase from their affiliates. The content is pushed in such a way to make it seem like something you should know when really its just another random piece of information that may not be pertinent to you at this point in time.

Not many podcasts are listed on YouTube now, and if they are, its because they are pushing out a book, a new seminar, a premium subscription, etc. Otherwise I need to be a member of their website, login with social media, etc.

I think for entertainment purposes on a Sunday evening, driving, or when you wake up or before you go to sleep they could be useful - granted you find exactly what you're looking for.

Otherwise I'll just stick to reading.
Since when podcasts have to be absolutely free? And what's wrong about sellings/affiliating/promoting something?

Agreed that most of them are just a pathetic attempt to sell something though, but you clearly have a wrong mindset about sales.

Last edited:

minirich

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 4, 2016
Austria

I saw that on a site with many podcasts, but the problem was there was just start times and they were off, the further you came in the cast, the more off they were.
I think they copied it over from the first/previous cast and just edited the content description but did not check the times.
In the end as useful as a hole in the head.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Since when podcasts have to be absolutely free? And what's wrong about sellings/affiliating/promoting something?

Agreed that most of them are just a pathetic attempt to sell something though, but you clearly have a wrong mindset about sales.

Price is not the issue, nor is my mindset regarding sales relevant. My time is important, and most podcasts waste it due to reasons above. That's why they are better for entertainment than information gathering.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Price is not the issue, nor is my mindset regarding sales relevant. My time is important, and most podcasts waste it due to reasons above. That's why they are better for entertainment than information gathering.
Your time is not important as you're getting information you're interested in. You pay for what you listen to in one form or another, otherwise you wouldn't get this information.
And yes, your mindset about sales is relevant, because this kind of mentality results in piece of shit feedback about really good podcasts.

I'm no longer continuing this conversation as you're obviously in a state of denial.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana

So here I have a question for you, so if a conversation was transcribed in a pdf as opposed to an audio file, would you be more interested in it or no? Would you pay for a transcription in a pdf format as opposed to a podcast? And the way I see podcasts is just another form of radio which has been monetized via advertisements for over a century.

Your time is not important as you're getting information you're interested in. You pay for what you listen to in one form or another, otherwise, you wouldn't get this information.

But I do stand by with this statement; you are investing your time to learn something. I'm sure there're some outstanding conversations out there where people can learn different mindsets and the various trains of thoughts that might emerge out of something live and genuine. What im understanding in this thread is that people, at least from here rather to read a transcript rather than listen to an entire podcast and pick some information which saves time.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I think it's a better idea to stop listening to frogs in the first place.
Worked for me.
I have frogs all over the golf course.... What am I to do????

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
I have frogs all over the golf course.... What am I to do????
Gather em up and make frog legs... open a stand somewhere in Mississippi ( Kill 2 birds with 1 stone! Frogs will be gone and you'll make a profit!)

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Your time is not important as you're getting information you're interested in. You pay for what you listen to in one form or another, otherwise you wouldn't get this information.
And yes, your mindset about sales is relevant, because this kind of mentality results in piece of shit feedback about really good podcasts.

I'm no longer continuing this conversation as you're obviously in a state of denial.

I knew it was a matter of time before it came to this - the majority of posts are argumentative in nature and the only thing I am in denial about is having a conversation with you because I noticed in each one, someone always has to lose. There, you win.

Don't worry about having to continue any conversations wtih me at all as I'll kindly use the ignore button to keep away your negativity.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I love listening to podcasts during my long drives or on airplane flights. Yes, podcasts have ads, but you just hit the +15 or 30 second skip a few times. I don't understand the pain point of commercials. I mean it's so easy to skip. For example, Tim Ferriss, start the podcast and skip to about 7 minutes. James Altucher, usually about 2 minutes, etc... Also, play at 1.5x speed.

I also don't know which podcasts you are listening to that you feel that you don't get enough value from. But some of the oddest sounding titles or the guests that I thought would be boring turned out to be some of the best content that I've heard.

Lastly, I don't listen to business podcasts as I find that I don't get much information out of them. I listen to podcasts and subjects that are more general and they usually end up diving into very good and interesting topics. There's alot of inspiration that you can get from just listening to stories and experiences. Although, on my drive home today, I couldn't believe that I was listening to 3 people talk about the best font to use on a research paper and why.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
There's alot of inspiration that you can get from just listening to stories and experiences.
I find this one of the benefits of the medium. Something is lost when you read a transcription of someone telling their story.

I love hearing people's stories. I love hearing the passion, and it can make any topic interesting.

Obviously you have to find the right podcast, but when you do, it can be like listening to old friends shoot the breeze.

This can be handy when no-one around you understands the entrepreneurial journey you are on.

There's something very intimate about audio, even more so than video for some reason.

I prefer listening to podcasts than reading their transcriptions.

Transcriptions just don't read as well as an article intended for reading, and transcriptions lose all the subtlety, insights, and emotion of the audio.

I'm finding that asking people to comment with their learnings and takeaways from my own recorded chats is very enlightening, and hopefully helpful for other listeners/readers.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hey all,

Haven't responded in a week or so because I was reaching out and asking around different places about transcripts and subtitles. I thought this could be a massive opportunity for me to come up with something and still could be. However, I made a few findings that I might want to share with you guys. There is a nonprofit organization that will do your subtitles for you for free!!

http://amara.org/en/

So if you have a video or vlog type of business, please use it and reach out to everyone that might come across your information!

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
This is a bit of a tongue in cheek post here.

For those who have seen my threads. I went into web development to learn how to make pages and other things but this is where the idea really started.

I had to make a website to create this, so I created a web business to gain the skills so i could create my idea which i deemed "Podscript" at the time.

I developed an action register and everything to ensure that I can try and execute this idea "right"

I was going to reach out to a number of pod-casters to offer free transcripts to host on my page.
I was going to put out google ads to try and gain traffic.
I was going to try and collaborate with transcription software such as rev.com and offer some sort of deal.

What happened was things didn't go to plan. I got focused on web development, things moved in my carrer, I prioritized time with my children.

Some short time ago, i dusted off the shelf for this project to try and get the ball rolling agin on this. So I went ahead and googled "podscript" so i could buy the domain.

Came across this.

They didn't do everything i thought up and wrote out on my spread sheet. Their revenue is based on pod casters paying them where I wanted to try an Ad model. The biggest thing is that they nabbed some of the largest pod-casters out there and hold their transcripts on their page, the most notable being Joe Rogan.

Here's what I wanted to share. I've been around the block a few times since I've started my journey a bit over 4 years ago here on the forum.

I'm not angry.
I'm not jealous.
I'm a bit disappointed, in myself...

However, the biggest takeaway from this. I was validated, I had an idea that worked, shared it on here, people validated it and it all made CENTS.

My failure came down to execution,

I didn't buy the domain when it was worth 30$.

I didn't try to build a website immediately and adjusted it as it grew - I built other things for other people for quick cash.

I'm not worried about me, I know I have more ideas that can take me to the fast lane. Let this be a lesson to you, when you have an idea.. then have people validate it (i had validation in this thread if you read back)...

Don't adjust for the idea then take action.

TAKE ACTION then adjust as needed.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This is a bit of a tongue in cheek post here.

For those who have seen my threads. I went into web development to learn how to make pages and other things but this is where the idea really started.

I had to make a website to create this, so I created a web business to gain the skills so i could create my idea which i deemed "Podscript" at the time.

I developed an action register and everything to ensure that I can try and execute this idea "right"

I was going to reach out to a number of pod-casters to offer free transcripts to host on my page.
I was going to put out google ads to try and gain traffic.
I was going to try and collaborate with transcription software such as rev.com and offer some sort of deal.

What happened was things didn't go to plan. I got focused on web development, things moved in my carrer, I prioritized time with my children.

Some short time ago, i dusted off the shelf for this project to try and get the ball rolling agin on this. So I went ahead and googled "podscript" so i could buy the domain.

Came across this.

They didn't do everything i thought up and wrote out on my spread sheet. Their revenue is based on pod casters paying them where I wanted to try an Ad model. The biggest thing is that they nabbed some of the largest pod-casters out there and hold their transcripts on their page, the most notable being Joe Rogan.

Here's what I wanted to share. I've been around the block a few times since I've started my journey a bit over 4 years ago here on the forum.

I'm not angry.
I'm not jealous.
I'm a bit disappointed, in myself...

However, the biggest takeaway from this. I was validated, I had an idea that worked, shared it on here, people validated it and it all made CENTS.

My failure came down to execution,

I didn't buy the domain when it was worth 30$.

I didn't try to build a website immediately and adjusted it as it grew - I built other things for other people for quick cash.

I'm not worried about me, I know I have more ideas that can take me to the fast lane. Let this be a lesson to you, when you have an idea.. then have people validate it (i had validation in this thread if you read back)...

Don't adjust for the idea then take action.

TAKE ACTION then adjust as needed.
It’s still there as an opportunity. Check out “Launch sooner” in my signature.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
It’s still there as an opportunity. Check out “Launch sooner” in my signature.
This is what I missed being on the forum... good ol' fashioned reality checks.

Once again, thanks Andy.

Colin Panarra

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 29, 2016
Boston, Mass.
It looks like podscribe here mainly solves a need for podcasters and advertisers through having them sign up for a subscription service. This is on their about page:

"We now are a small (and quickly growing) team dedicated to using transcriptions to help both podcasters and advertisers!"

Like Andy said I think there's still an opportunity here. Maybe approach it from the angle of making all content as accessible as possible rather than growing an audience for podcaster's and advertisers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.