The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why I hate the podcast trend and watching Youtube

Anything related to matters of the mind

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
I hate podcasts; I see people always complimenting and cheering on the trend in podcasting. So, everyone, that loves to sit on their asses and listen to the information that is spoon-fed to them and eventually never following through. Where I have to dig for all the transcriptions and hope, it's accurate.
You people have no idea how easy you have it. So quit bitching about getting "generic" information and you can't find the "secret sauce" to your success.

I can tell there's an abundance of information coming from the videos and different audio-files. But first, Let me clarify why I hate anything audio, I know it originates from the form of jealousy and desire for the information I know that is being shared. I'm Deaf so I have limited access to the information that is provided throughout the internet including YouTube that is not always captioned correctly ( try to watch a video with auto-captions with the volume off and see if you get it). So my only request to you is trying to get transcriptions and your videos captioned. Not only for myself but for the tons of deaf people that want to learn and reach out.

But let me share with you, my "secret sauce," it sounds simple, but it's everywhere in this forum. All you have to have is some discipline and persistence, work 90 productive minutes a day, and you'll be moving and before you know it. You'll start making money, maybe not as much as you desired but eventually if you stick with it and figure out what works. You'll get there one day, I know I'm not there yet, but I see glimpses and moments when I was putting myself out there and getting returns.

So don't forget people that have their own challenges, provide some transcriptions and captioning if you make videos if you can.

Here's to positive net cash flow!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
I love on demand media.

His point about close captions for new streaming media seems like an opportunity though.

Don't get me wrong, I love on demand media. Just that the accessibility is a major challenge for me.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Accessibility marketing is an empty niche. Like, tumbleweed empty.
And market demand is huge.

For sure, that's where I've been trying to dig into.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Text to speech software to transcribe some of the audio. Then outsource the cleanup and formatting for web use...hmm
Shhh don't give away the "secret sauce" ;)

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
I know I am in the minority but I hate podcasts and videos. I look for the transcript. If it is not available, I usually skip the content. If an online news story is video only, I skip it.

An additional benefit of transcripts is SEO. Search engines like it.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
I know I am in the minority but I hate podcasts and videos. I look for the transcript. If it is not available, I usually skip the content. If an online news story is video only, I skip it.

An additional benefit of transcripts is SEO. Search engines like it.

So you're saying that even if you can hear, you just ignore it. Mainly because you'll rather to read the info than listen? Interesting....

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
So you're saying that even if you can hear, you just ignore it. Mainly because you'll rather to read the info than listen? Interesting....

I'm the same, I usually look for the transcript and will skip it if there isn't one. I think I just prefer to read, and I find it easier and quicker to scan for good information.

samsara

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Mar 6, 2013
Mexico
I'm the same, I usually look for the transcript and will skip it if there isn't one. I think I just prefer to read, and I find it easier and quicker to scan for good information.

Same here

I discovered it when I was reading:

SPI 018: The Truth About Getting Rich Quick with @MJ DeMarco , Author of The Millionaire Fastlane
http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/download/transcript-SPI018.pdf

Don´t get me wrong, I love to heaer MJ but some times I don´t have so much time.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Same here

SPI 018: The Truth About Getting Rich Quick with @MJ DeMarco , Author of The Millionaire Fastlane

Don´t get me wrong, I love to heaer MJ but some times I don´t have so much time.

Haha, love it that you linked Pat Flynn on here. He's the one who really stirred the entrepreneur hunger for me back in 2013. Just didn't find the right community to push me to the right direction then.

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
My one exception is the podcast by Jason Bax, I regularly listen to that when I'm out walking the dog, but it truly is a great podcast with great content.

Same here

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I like the tropicalmba.com podcasts. I listen to them on longish drives, or ironing the school uniforms. In those circumstances, audio is perfect.

One of their podcasts talks about how they get a "production transcript" created from their chat with a guest. They then skim through this and highlight the sections to remove so that the audio is nice and tight. A sound engineer can then use this highlighted production transcript to edit the audio.

They use rev.com for the transcription which costs them $1/min.

They mention in the episode I listened to that it costs them $50k/year to run their podcast (including man-hours spent).

That's a decent chunk of change.

I've played with some of the auto-transcription software. What a PITA. The software doesn't know where to put a full stop and you just end up with one long sentence. From my evening pulling my hair out and losing the will to live it really looks like it needs the human touch to create a readable version.

So rev.com it is for me. $1/min suddenly looked tremendous value.

I've dropped quite a few videos with transcriptions here into the forum as I play around with this.

I've definitely noticed more people engaging when there is a transcription - because I've been paying attention to that. ;)

I've not done the closed captions into the YouTube videos yet.

Rev.com is supposed to be able to do that too, but the link where I can pay is broken and I've not found a suitable alternative yet (and I'm fecked if I'm going to do it myself). A missed take-my-money-already moment if ever I saw one...

So a three minute video costs me $3 to get transcribed. Less than a cup of coffee. I can do one of those a day without worrying about getting a return on them.

I've done longer chats and I'd really like to get them edited down, and pull out sections that can stand-alone on their own.

I had the call with @Nicoknowsbest transcribed and that cost me $75.

Nico will do some editing and drop sections into that particular thread.

Thankfully he'll do that for free while we learn this process, but imagine if I had to pay him?

How much is that call going to cost me to get transcribed and edited, never mind published and promoted (because, again, I'm fecked if I'm doing that)?

I'm not doing those calls to make money.

Someone thought I was building a personal brand and promoting myself. Errr, no. That's not my business model thanks. I want to build a business that *doesn't* rely on me, rather than one that's built around brand Andy Black.

I digress but you see my point.

I'd like to help you guys by recording calls I have with people and making them accessible to you.

I don't intend "monetising" them, so I'm not able or willing to fork out $60-120+ to transcribe then edit down a one hour chat.

In my mind, if you're interested, then you'll have to meet me halfway and either listen to them in their entirety, or pay to have them produced so they're more easily consumable for you.

Just a bit of perspective from a podcast consumer who's also producing video and audio (albeit making it up as I go along).

EXAMPLES

A short video with a transcription:

The call with @Nicoknowsbest that I spent $75 to get transcribed (12,274 words - surely good for SEO too?):

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
I think podcasts are perfect for commuters. For me, reading is my preferred method of getting content b/c I can do it faster than listening or watching a video. Your not missing that much @jpanarra, there's plenty of knowledge in books. Love the "secret sauce" too!

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Someone thought I was building a personal brand and promoting myself. Errr, no. That's not my business model thanks. I want to build a business that *doesn't* rely on me, rather than one that's built around brand Andy Black.

@Andy Black, you shouldn't that's not what the Fastlane is about and I always enjoy reading your input and posts. But whether you like it or not, you might have a brand building up already thanks to this forum. ;)

I don't intend "monetising" them, so I'm not able or willing to fork out $60-120+ to transcribe then edit down a one hour chat.

And I get that completely. Its survival of the fittest out there in the real world and money shouldn't be spent on something that you are already doing out of kindness and willingness to help others. Which is part of my rant, that the fact podcasting and videos are readily available for the general population mainly because it is made for them and not us which is a hidden minority. I've already made my peace with the fact that I will have to work much harder than everyone else in some aspects. But the truth is, I know nothing else in life, and sometimes I do have bouts of jealousy and curiosity, but what I've seen on here I might not be missing out on much. In fact, I might have a slight advantage in some markets its only up to me to go out and exploit them!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Andy Black, you shouldn't that's not what the Fastlane is about and I always enjoy reading your input and posts. But whether you like it or not, you might have a brand building up already thanks to this forum. ;)

And I get that completely. Its survival of the fittest out there in the real world and money shouldn't be spent on something that you are already doing out of kindness and willingness to help others. Which is part of my rant, that the fact podcasting and videos are readily available for the general population mainly because it is made for them and not us which is a hidden minority. I've already made my peace with the fact that I will have to work much harder than everyone else in some aspects. But the truth is, I know nothing else in life, and sometimes I do have bouts of jealousy and curiosity, but what I've seen on here I might not be missing out on much. In fact, I might have a slight advantage in some markets its only up to me to go out and exploit them!
Your frustration is the opportunity.

As an aside, something that's unexpected but apparent to me is that while I'm "just" recording calls and dropping them in here for speed, some people find that format preferable to more planned calls. I do feel you may be missing out on them. Books are more planned. There's something about listening to two people making it up as they go along that helps you understand how they think.

One of those calls is transcribed so far. Hope it helps you.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Your frustration is the opportunity.

As an aside, something that's unexpected but apparent to me is that while I'm "just" recording calls and dropping them in here for speed, some people find that format preferable to more planned calls. I do feel you may be missing out on them. Books are more planned. There's something about listening to two people making it up as they go along that helps you understand how they think.

One of those calls is transcribed so far. Hope it helps you.

Looks like i have to engage in those talks myself to find out then.

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
396%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
I do so too.

Why?

Because I am quicker finding the bits that are relevant for me. And I am a visual guy - I can absorb information much better and more efficiently when reading it.

I like the tropicalmba.com podcasts. I listen to them on longish drives, or ironing the school uniforms. In those circumstances, audio is perfect.
I agree and listen to podcasts in similar situations.

BUT.

I find it extremely hard to focus on an activity while listening to sometimes challenging content. I get easily distracted when certain things pop into sight when driving for instance - everything I see brings up thoughts and associations in my mind.

Sometimes, I intend to drive somewhere, start listening to a podcast and end up somewhere I have no idea how I got there.

Another tricky thing with audio for me is: taking notes. Especially when driving.

I haven't come around a solution that works for me, so I prefer listening to podcasts when eating by myself or when just taking a break from working with a notepad next to me.

In fact, I might have a slight advantage in some markets its only up to me to go out and exploit them!
I agree with @Andy Black - this is a great opportunity. It is a matter of mindset and looking at things differently.

Something that came to my mind now when thinking about being deaf:

What is your preferred way of getting the spoken word across? Is it text, sign language or anything else?

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
What is your preferred way of getting the spoken word across? Is it text, sign language or anything else?

I think it comes down to personal preference of indiviuals when it comes to those things. For example, for entertainment purposes, I would rather have it in sign language because it's almost like a language that is expressed in a movie format if that make sense, but it is the best way I can explain it. Where in the informational format such as a class or educational video, I'll rather have it in closed captioning or transcript because i'll be able to skim the information and even re-read the content so i can absorb it better.

StompingAcorns

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Dec 11, 2015
Southeastern U.S.
Because I am quicker finding the bits that are relevant for me. And I am a visual guy - I can absorb information much better and more efficiently when reading it.
I'll chime in with the others. I'd much rather read than listen any day. It is incredibly more time consuming watching videos or listening to podcasts to get information, and the frustration is huge when the content promises A and delivers B. If I'm reading, I can skim and determine immediately if reading the content is going to get me the information I want. And if I'm listening, I'd much prefer to be somewhere where I can take notes.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Remember where we are. This is a forum, so by default everyone here prefers to read. ;)

Anyway, some thoughts I'd toyed with:

Why not have the audience who want something transcribed to pay for the transcription? Donate button next to an audio or something?

I'd considered (and rejected!) doing calls with forum members so long as they paid for the transcription and we could drop that plus the audio into the forum.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Remember where we are. This is a forum, so by default everyone here prefers to read. ;)

Anyway, some thoughts I'd toyed with:

Why not have the audience who want something transcribed to pay for the transcription? Donate button next to an audio or something?

That could be something, like integrated kind of link such as PayPal or such.

I'd considered (and rejected!) doing calls with forum members so long as they paid for the transcription and we could drop that plus the audio into the forum.

Wait, so you rejected calls because some people didn't want to front the transcription charge? Or you'll be more willing to take the calls because they'll front the transcription prices? Or both?

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
Agreed, audio information sucks.

You can't scan it quickly, search it, highlight it, copy/paste it.

And it takes up a bunch of hard disk space if you want to save it.

It's so much slower to listen to an audio, than to read a transcription.

And you can't tell if it's going to be any good before you spend a few mins listening - i usually end up abandoning them.

I'd always provide transcripts & any partners iv'e worked with, i've paid to get their interviews transcribed.

It's really cheap on fiver (like $10/hour of audio).

Also, youtube kind of sucks.

It has really crap search filters, and you cant see 'thumbnails' of the video when you mouseover the timeline.

For the 2nd biggest search engine & being owned by google - i'd expect much better.

B V Marlon

Connecting Dots
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Oct 29, 2016
UK
Whilst I can understand the OP's frustration with podcasts and You Tube, I personally find them quite useful. I've taken to listening to them when doing other tasks that don't require in depth concentration, to make the most of my time. I find that I can 'scan listen' to what's going on, then when I catch the tail end of a 'nugget', then I just go back to the start of that section and listen properly.

I couldn't do that with reading, for sure.

I like @Andy Black 's suggestion about the vote/donate button - you could set the target for transcription and then get it done when the threshold was met.

As to the overall problem, it sounds like an ideal opportunity for someone with a bit of machine learning expertise.

B V Marlon

Connecting Dots
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Oct 29, 2016
UK
Following on from my previous post, I've just tried this:
https://speech-to-text-demo.mybluemix.net/

It uses the IBM Watson system, you know, the one that won Jeopardy, so I thought it would be quite good.

It was terrible!

This is the result of uploading a clip of two people talking:

How are you deadliest Girlschool does not tie it surprised me enough that involves a lot find romance nowadays well basket is in there it's amazing no really good godly that estimates of grace deadline. Third to deadline the Thursday and Saturday sobbing do phone interviews all day. But I'm. This is an area of 3 phone it is today while hopefully next week's. I told one guy might be able to get himself a Sunday that it would also make a sentence of death of the deadline so because of the now that's a sort of. Get everything together pretty quickly nano it's really good if you move very fast. Like W. always moved as fast. He stuck midway

There's a long way to go before this is a commercial reality.

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
Also worth noting that the Facebook newsfeed is another place where huge amounts of video are consumed - and regardless of hearing impairment, the stuff that autoplays in your newsfeed is muted. Personally i'll tend to stop and watch if there's subtitles in the video, but if i have to click it, turn up the volume and actually listen i'll skim on past.

And it's surprising the amount of video I see in my own feed that still doesn't have subtitles - given the known fact that the video is going to be muted...

Edit: Amusing story - I've recently sat here at work enraged as a mega ad agency (full of social media ninja guru hipsters) has produced a 6-figure 'viral' internet commercial, to be expensively run by me in the FB newsfeed.....without any thought to how the newsfeed (or user) behaves (I'm an idiot and figured this out, but as I'm not charging 6 figs no one listens to me), so there's no captions, subtitles etc. Just a video with peoples mouths flapping that means nothing when its muted. It's 'too late' for this simple change now apparently. Blew my mind lol.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.