The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why Facebook is a Joke (And various social media/smartphone insanity)

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

Was watching Elon Musk's presentation, and became disappointed 6:50 in when everyone takes out their phones to record. Dammit, the entire presentation is being broadcast live around the world. Why the hell do you need to record it?

Don't know why, but that always strikes a nerve.

The worst for me is people that go to art museums and take pictures of the paintings using their phones. They're in front of BILLIONS (with a B) of dollars worth of art, that in previous lifetimes they'd never have access to, are able to get their face as close as 1 inch away from the canvas ... And what they decided to do is document every single piece instead of appreciating the work?

Every single painting is already cataloged on the museum's website! Just enjoy what you have, and put your phone away.

Sidenote: went on a hike with a beautiful 38 year old in California (her mid-life crisis). Then mid-hike she starts texting one of our mutual female friends for close to an hour. Trying to figure what the plans are later that night. After half an hour I just ended up stealthily walking away, finishing the hike, calling an Uber, and deleting her from my phone. Technology has turned a good portion of us into anti-social robots (unfortunately at the cost of me getting laid).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX

That's terrible.

2/3 of them were men.

Seems to be connected with a penchant for high-risk activities.

- although it could happen to anybody if they're not careful.

Look at the girl who fell head first into a fountain at the mall because she was looking at her stupid phone. She could have broken her neck and died instantly.

SMH

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
12027787_1601950623402488_2652539560499133256_n.jpg
lol so damn true man i haven't uploaded a pic on facebook in like 4 years.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
So I tried something today at work., on my 15 min break the gall who sat down on here iphone i screeched

got off your phone!!!!!!

she flipped out and dropped it, cracking the screen.
then she moved, and I got to enjoy my break.

AntEmpire

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 4, 2015
And of course, most of the comments from around the web are offended that these girls were "shamed" and "mocked" and picked on by grown men. Sigh...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

They have turned this "embarrassing moment" into a great positive by making others aware of a local organization that supports victims of domestic violence and asking to support the cause. The Diamondbacks and Fox Sports reached out to them and offered free tickets to a game. They declined and posted the following statement on their Facebook page.

"Alpha Chi Omega at Arizona State University would like to thank the Arizona Diamondbacks and Fox Sports for reaching out to the chapter after last night’s game and subsequent media frenzy. We appreciate their generous offer of tickets to tonight’s game. However, instead of chapter members attending the game, we have asked the Diamondbacks and Fox Sports to provide tickets to a future game for families at A New Leaf, a local non-profit that helps support victims of domestic violence.

Today, October 1, marks the beginning of Domestic Violence Awareness Month. If everyone who viewed this statement took the time to make a donation in recognition of domestic violence awareness, which is Alpha Chi Omega’s national philanthropy, we would be so grateful! We are happy to have the opportunity to shed some positive light on such a sensitive subject. All proceeds will go directly to A New Leaf to help struggling Arizona families get back on their feet by providing housing, food, childcare and more. You can donate using the link below. We appreciate your support!"

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor.../?hootPostID=e37c0d35243cdf44a4c4a08cc41fdbe2

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
Well spun, ladies..well spun.

I can't believe they were actually offered free tickets to go to ANOTHER game just to do the same thing all over again.
Thank goodness they did something halfway sensible and turned them down, and did good by donating them to charity.

Pitiful, really, how so many of these young people go through life literally 'missing life' because their head is down. They have no idea what is taking place around them at any given moment.

There are tons of things they miss besides good sports plays.

They also missed every person that walked by.
  • Could have been a celebrity.
  • Could have been a long lost friend.
  • Might have been their 'dream mate', but they'll never know because they never even looked up long enough to lock eyes with someone. Then the moment is gone.

How easy would it be to miss those brief moments in life when something spectacular happens, like a shooting star....or a dolphin jumping in the ocean…because you were too busy scrolling facebook, texting, or taking selfies?

Heck, with the girls on this video, I bet Tyrannosaurus Rex could have stomped by and they wouldn't have even noticed.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How easy would it be to miss those brief moments in life when something spectacular happens, like a shooting star....or a dolphin jumping in the ocean…if you were too busy scrolling facebook, texting, or taking selfies?

Heck, with the girls on this video, I bet Tyrannosaurus Rex could have stomped by and they wouldn't have even noticed.

Not to mention what this shit is doing to our brain chemistry, dopamine receptors, addiction response, instant gratification-- we are treading down a road that I believe will have perilous consequences for the future.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
All of the above, plus disturbing that it's now normal to effectively walk about with a hand mirror marvelling at your reflection.

What a weird photo album that would be...

"Here's us at a baseball game. We had blonde hair then."

"Here's us at the Grand Canyon. We were trying some new lipstick."

"Here's us at the Niagra Falls. We had a great facial a few days before."

Strange and disturbing what we're doing to ourselves as a species.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Ain't that America....little pink phones for you and me.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
And I feel so happy I don't own a phone. :)

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
In Spain in a bar no one is using cell phones. In clubs no one is making vids/pics. Just sayin', Americans are sliding way down.

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
no its REAL how bad it's gotten!!!
I just found this on a job application. ''71. When I'm not online, I often think about the Internet.''

edit:
73. People who know me best often complain that I use the Internet too much.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
Not to mention what this shit is doing to our brain chemistry, dopamine receptors, addiction response, instant gratification-- we are treading down a road that I believe will have perilous consequences for the future.

you pretty much said it... a society of narcissists, instant gratification, messed up addicts.

Jleg

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Jul 21, 2015
England,UK
As a 17 year old, i have obviously grown up in the era of mobile phones. It really frustrates me how much time my peers spend on them, and then they fire remarks at me saying i " waste my time " because i choose to read on my breaks instead of scrolling through peoples fictional lives on FB. Frustrates me how they can't see past it, although i have explained to them on countless occasions what all the time they spend online is doing to them, the message just never sinks in. Oh well , there choice i guess, hopefully they will realise with age.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
On the flip side of this discussion, I went to a college football game with my brother a couple of weeks ago. If I would have been picked up by TV cameras I was on my phone multiple times throughout the game. I'm sure people would be making fun of me for being on my phone while sitting on the 2nd row. "That guy must be crazy spending all that money just to be on his phone!" What I was doing on my phone for those few minutes throughout the game paid for those tickets ten times over. Just because someone is "always on their phone" doesn't mean they are mindless sheep scrolling Facebook.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
That video reminds me of Peter Gerlach passing away this week. MSW Break the Cycle. He had a Facebook group and website, helped tons of people, but the illusion he was healthy, well, and in good shape. Behind the scenes he was in a nursing home, in a wheel chair with an illness. Never mentioned to anyone about his suffering or circumstances, but helped others heal. His friends and Colleagues have been sharing his story now to his audience, and the reply seems to be consistent. I was so self absorbed, I didn't ever take the time to find out about his life or what he was going through. At the same time it's an inspiration to his followers that it doesn't matter what you're circumstances are, he succeeded anyway. He created his website and you tube videos thinking his career was over and just wanted to share information. In return he touched many peoples lives and worked behind the scenes even though he was battling with an illness.

I've felt this way about Facebook since I joined it in 2007. Rarely is there any real social connection. It's an illusion for the most part with photographs, quotes, and images, and a friend list that rarely reacts. I see people posting images, saying if you notice this please reply or if you're a real friend and see this. lol Then you get in the groups and it' just amazing how there is no real intellectual conversation going on. It's more like look at my selfie. And one group stated, I made this selfie group for you, if you want post selfie's go there, because we don't want to look at your selfie.

Selfie's are everywhere. Every time I see one I want to puke. lol

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
I've felt this way about Facebook since I joined it in 2007. Rarely is there any real social connection. It's an illusion for the most part with photographs, quotes, and images, and a friend list that rarely reacts.

Facebook pulled in just under $15B revenue the last 12 months, with over a billion active users. People want this. Maybe, probably, most people are garbage humans in the end.

Also isn't it a little bit ironic, don't you think, that this thread - on a social media platform, complaining about another social media platform - has already grown to 8 pages?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Also isn't it a little bit ironic, don't you think, that this thread - on a social media platform, complaining about another social media platform - has already grown to 8 pages?
Ah...we just wonder why the other one's haven't figured out how to become intelligent creatures. Although, if we flooded this site like that one, we'd have a garbage dump of material to dig through to find the good stuff.

G

Guest34764

All the conversations in my Highschool is always about social Media.Snapchat,facebook,instagram.It's cool people are connected but i'm always the one left out because i don't waste hours looking at social media.You'll get teased for it.It's crazy how teenagers center social media around their lifes.If it's not social media it's about drugs and sex.Now i know i'm sounding like a grumpy kid but i can't stand the conversations.If y'all think grownups are the ones that are the worse,They're not.It's kids in highschool who are the worse with social media.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.