The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why Facebook is a Joke (And various social media/smartphone insanity)

eekern

BOBA
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 21, 2015
Norway
haven`t watch the garbage on the wall since I install this plugin a year ago:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kill-news-feed/hjobfcedfgohjkaieocljfcppjbkglfd
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kill-news-feed/hjobfcedfgohjkaieocljfcppjbkglfd

xzX_SP34jGvJVTnnpceWtOvcjv-OCq0kkHSp9s83Uk8YFHg2BV32nMqo6vUwWQf4dRdE9I1e7eA=s640-h400-e365-rw

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I believe it's public service. Thank you very much. I personally have a tablet now and phone, and frankly I feel it's more of a distraction, time waster, and rather just be on the laptop. I get more done that way.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
All the conversations in my Highschool is always about social Media.Snapchat,facebook,instagram.It's cool people are connected but i'm always the one left out because i don't waste hours looking at social media.You'll get teased for it.It's crazy how teenagers center social media around their lifes.If it's not social media it's about drugs and sex.Now i know i'm sounding like a grumpy kid but i can't stand the conversations.If y'all think grownups are the ones that are the worse,They're not.It's kids in highschool who are the worse with social media.
most of the young american youth are LOW IQ in mentality and are sheep. They have made it easier now to be CONTROLLED.

again use facebook as a means of marketing. nothing more then that.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
I believe it's public service. Thank you very much. I personally have a tablet now and phone, and frankly I feel it's more of a distraction, time waster, and rather just be on the laptop. I get more done that way.

wholeheartedly agree

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
A kid died recently because he wanted to post the speedometer on his car going 100mph+

Let that sink in for a moment.

the entire society is insane because of social proof and approval

smartphone , pokemon, garbage music, TV etc. etc.

the young are dancing monkeys victims of society's masterminds who imposed their strategy on them ( marketing etc.)

the problem with society and democracy is that we consider that dumb people are smart enough to take care of their decisions

this is like your saying to your 10 year old kid :

" look, this is democracy .yahoo ! the house ( the country) is yours now , you are the master ; do whatever you want in it "

i promise you, your home will be a mess or burned before tomorrow morning

Last edited:

Nomangee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
May 11, 2012
Germany
the entire society is insane because of social proof and approval

smartphone , pokemon, garbage music, TV etc. etc.

the young are dancing monkeys victims of society's masterminds who imposed their strategy on them ( marketing etc.)

the problem with society and democracy is that we consider that dumb people are smart enough to take care of their decisions

this is like your saying to your 10 year old kid :

" look, this is democracy .yahoo ! the house ( the country) is yours now , you are the master ; do whatever you want in it "

i promise you, your home will be a mess or burned before tomorrow morning

I would really like to see something like big brother on a bigger scale, but the main concept of the show is anarchy, to be completely self reliant in a small city, but with all the technology etc we currently have. That would be so interesting to me, I think the people that would thrive the most, are the smart guys. Not school smart, but street smart, who think outside of the box etc.

But anyway, can somebody make it happen? :)

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Facebook is cancer. Unfollowed all of my 35 friends and all i see now are grups related to web design and 5 pages i liked.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX

WALKING WHILE TEXTING?

National Geographic says there's a gorilla in your midst....

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have been happily off of facebook for nearing 3 years now. Excellent decision.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I just started using Facebook this year, after years of avoiding it. It's been great to reconnect with people I've not seen in ages. I quite like it.

RelentlessT

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 20, 2016
I bypass people's moaning and groaning on Facebook only to be sucked in by food posts. I love cookin', grillin' and smokin' food, and I've learned a great deal about it, especially from one of the people I have added as a friend. Outside of that, Facebook doesn't offer me a whole lot, other than a reliance to Facebook messenger to keep in touch with my family and SO (I use messenger more than my phone's own text messaging system).

AfterWind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 23, 2017
Romania
That's one reason I removed the timeline of my facebook with a plugin. Using it only to navigate through the different (small) groups I am a part of and chatting with others.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Holy shit my sister is in peril, what do I do? Assist? Tourniquet? Stop the bleeding? No, I livestream.

(Don't watch the video)
Shocking Video: Teen Livestreams Sister's Death In Horrific Car Crash

Oh, and here's another one... this is the account for a girl who recently died, obviously too young and under some tragic circumstances. But yea, THERE IS A BRIGHT SIDE!! Maybe the dead girl will appreciate more likes and followers?

WTF is wrong with these social media idiots?

sad.jpg

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Holy shit my sister is in peril, what do I do? Assist? Tourniquet? Stop the bleeding? No, I livestream.

(Don't watch the video)
Shocking Video: Teen Livestreams Sister's Death In Horrific Car Crash

Oh, and here's another one... this is the account for a girl who recently died, obviously too young and under some tragic circumstances. But yea, THERE IS A BRIGHT SIDE!! Maybe the dead girl will appreciate more likes and followers?

WTF is wrong with these social media idiots?

View attachment 15685

Technologically possible to create a product that kills all mobile devices inside a car while the car is in motion? - for sale to parents of teenagers?

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
Technologically possible to create a product that kills all mobile devices inside a car while the car is in motion? - for sale to parents of teenagers?
I think it's technologically possible. I have pondered over this myself and I'm not so sure the sale would be to parents of teenagers but rather the government (distracted driving laws). I think it would be brilliant if you could pull it off, but I'm not sure how to execute on something that large and I think there would be a general resistance to it from the masses addicted to screen time.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think there would be a general resistance to it from the masses addicted to screen time.

Only if it is government mandated as it adds to the nanny state. If you offer the choice, then I don't think there'd be much push back.

And such a device/app would definitely be newsworthy.

Now, wouldn't such a device be as simple as an app that detects g-force movement beyond walking? When it does, it blanks out the screen.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
Only if it is government mandated as it adds to the nanny state. Wouldn't such a device be as simple as an app that detects g-force movement beyond walking? When it does, it blanks out the screen.
Yeah I think you are onto something there. Not sure if you could just use the accelerometer to detect g-forces over a certain limit. The problem I see with that is at a constant velocity (highway travel) there is no experienced acceleration. You could however detect velocity with the GPS.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
I've thought about this, and there are apps that are (kind of) already out there for this. The reason I think it needs to be in the car versus in the device is that any parent of a teenager will tell you that you can do everything in the world to control your kid's device, but then the problem becomes controlling their friends devices.

Scenario: Your kid is in the car with his friends, and his device is disabled, so he's just messing with his buddy's phone, causing that much more chaos.

jamez1515

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Jul 22, 2017
Miami, USA
I use Facebook for both personal purpose and business purpose.
I met many of my old friends through Facebook and I am still connected with them.
Facebook helps me a lot to meet my audience.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
I've thought about this, and there are apps that are (kind of) already out there for this. The reason I think it needs to be in the car versus in the device is that any parent of a teenager will tell you that you can do everything in the world to control your kid's device, but then the problem becomes controlling their friends devices.

Scenario: Your kid is in the car with his friends, and his device is disabled, so he's just messing with his buddy's phone, causing that much more chaos.

Not to mention kids are smart and will figure out how to undo whatever you put on the phone.

NightFury

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 20, 2017
Cape Town

The latest version of iOS it supposed to automatically stop notifications and calls when you're in the car.

Van Halen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Mar 3, 2017
United Kingdom
Its a good idea. I developed mobile apps for a bit. You could have a GPS app that tracks how quick you're moving, if you were to take the phones location at one time, then take the location at another set time and measure the distance it could work out the speed (s = distance / time), over certain speeds, you're obviously driving. Google has something similar where it shows a notification to me sometimes like: "32 Mins Drive Home with current traffic", so it knows I take that route everyday, and that I drive that route.

edit: The GPS on your phone is 3 stages of accuracy (atleast for iphones). The highest stage of accuracy is within something like a meter = super accurate. As a side not you'd think, why would you use any other accuracy!? = uses more mobile data the more accurate.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
I think it's technologically possible. I have pondered over this myself and I'm not so sure the sale would be to parents of teenagers but rather the government (distracted driving laws). I think it would be brilliant if you could pull it off, but I'm not sure how to execute on something that large and I think there would be a general resistance to it from the masses addicted to screen time.
Meet the steering wheel cover that stops you texting and driving There's a steering wheel that sets off an alarm based on where your hands are.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen

Bryan Amaiwe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 26, 2018
Agbor / Delta
The worse mistake i ever made is having facebook account. I have lived a life of comparism, bought car i don't want, living in an apartment i can't afford. Name it, cloths, jeweries, iphone, i almost go married to impress my friends and many more. All these are just to impress people. Despite All i still feel small. Ever since i deleted facebook, my life have restored to normal me. Social media is evil.

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
The only reason I still use Facebook is to reach my audience. Otherwise, I wouldn't be on there.

Of course, it's a great advertising medium to reach millions. Another reason why I'm still there.

Other than that, I don't post much.

This pretty much sums up why -- it's one big carefully curated facade.

I fear for young folks who use Facebook / Instagram / et. al. as a gauge to compare their lives to others. Expectation and comparison is path to perpetual misery. If I spend one hour on Facebook, even I would end up feeling inadequate, not fit enough, not well-traveled enough, not successful enough, and not liked enough, blah blah.

Whats sad is that I am actually hearing that youngsters are making decisions based upon how certain activities will look when posted to social media. They're more concerned with having people *think* they're having fun than actually having it.

Be aware people.
IMG_20180328_070839_526.JPG

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
The worse mistake i ever made is having facebook account. I have lived a life of comparism, bought car i don't want, living in an apartment i can't afford. Name it, cloths, jeweries, iphone, i almost go married to impress my friends and many more. All these are just to impress people. Despite All i still feel small. Ever since i deleted facebook, my life have restored to normal me. Social media is evil.
I can relate to what you are saying.Although social media has it's beneficial areas,it hasn't really been helpful to me.Never compare yourself to others.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.