The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What motivated YOU when you started out?

LukasOO

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jan 2, 2017
Denmark
Greetings,

I'm just curious, what your motivation was at the beginning?
I'm asking since I created 3 unsuccessful "business adventures" last year. This involved a p2p picture-sharing platform, and some extensive dropshipping stores. Obviously failure is a factor that tears on your motivation and even though I want to begin on another business, I'm for some reason lacking the motivation.

So, What kept you going when you went through failure?
And what initiatives did you take to keep the motivation?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
wat motivated u in the first place?

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
Life sucked. I was bored, strapped for cash and always wanted to move to the states. There had to be a better way. Funny thing is, since I've started working on businesses, bettering myself and the like i'm not bored anymore. :)

LukasOO

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jan 2, 2017
Denmark
Life sucked. I was bored, strapped for cash and always wanted to move to the states. There had to be a better way. Funny thing is, since I've started working on businesses, bettering myself and the like i'm not bored anymore. :)
Did you start something within your interests then?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
An electrician friend was out of work and had to hand his van back. He had a wife, two kids, and a baby on the way. I could tell he was staring into the abyss.

I had a why that was bigger than me...

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
Did you start something within your interests then?
No, I started with something I didn't really like but was better than what I was already doing. Needless to say it didn't turn out well. The bug stuck around though.

LukasOO

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jan 2, 2017
Denmark
would u regret giving up on that?
Regret? Oh yea, there's a reason why I'm writing on this forum at the moment. I was looking to draw some inspiration for how to push myself out of a bad cycle of procrastination.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Regret? Oh yea, there's a reason why I'm writing on this forum at the moment. I was looking to draw some inspiration for how to push myself out of a bad cycle of procrastination.

for me it was 3 weeks in a cubicle, made me realize my whole lifestyle just turned into some horrible routine.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
for me it was 3 weeks in a cubicle, made me realize my whole lifestyle just turned into some horrible routine.
Wake up at 10 to 8, "only 10 hours to go", count down the hours all day, home, shower, dinner, bed, repeat.
There was a good scene in the sopranos that showed it really well, i'll dig for it.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Did you then quit your job to start your business, or did you do nights?
it was tech job so i learned to make apps in the downtime, which was a lot.
i've done all shifts, 6am-2pm, 4pm-12am, 10pm-6am. Night shift was horrible for health.
been there 3.5 years but got fired 5 months ago, been on unemployment so far, gonna get a part time job soon doing labor i hope.
i've made several apps, lots of youtube vids, but no success yet.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
I was working at an automotive plant as a laborer, and then the guy i trained was only 15 years older then me (i am young) died of a heart attack due to working 31 days in row (12hour shifts).... welcome to the world of monotonous inservitude..... that was my trigger point

fortu1992

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 24, 2017
Mileto VV Italy
I had been a slave to the system for too long. Having financial freedom and the ability to travel whenever I want sounds incredible to me.

it must be a beautiful sensation of freedom, what was your path that took you where you are now? if I can ask xD

MrYoshi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Apr 15, 2017
it must be a beautiful sensation of freedom, what was your path that took you where you are now? if I can ask xD

Sorry, I actually don't have freedom yet haha. Mistake on my end for not being clear enough. The reason why this goal is so enticing to me is that the alternative seems more dangerous. Working 9-5 until I'm 50 doesn't sit well with me. I'll let you know when I make it though.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

To be financially capable to take care of myself and my aging parents.
To leave a meaningless low-pay job where I spend everyday fulfilling others' dreams.
To attend my favorite leisure classes in t-shirts and bermudas while others dress up in suits to work.
To be able to do the kind of work that energizes me daily.
To have 2 pretty wives.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Series of events for me - life was great, high middle class paycheck, pension in another 25 years. Was working a second job (7 days a week) for play money, just let go of my own business (cabinet shop) because overhead was high, and honestly, custom woodwork is a luxury most can’t afford. Lowe’s and Home Depot have made cabinets a commodity that custom shops can’t keep up with. (I know, waah waah. Little guy ran out by the box stores. I was too dumb to find a way to overcome it).

Then I got a new boss. He’s very challenging, and I began to doubt my clear path to the top. I didn’t know at the time, but I was experiencing the backside of the commandment of Control. I had no control over what this person decided to do with my future.

This made me realize also that I may have reached my maximum financial value according to this person. I didn’t know at the time, but I was experiencing the backside of scale. I suddenly had a limit assigned to me.

Stumbled across The Millionaire Fastlane . Holy Shit. In a few days of on and off reading, I found myself going through a mental financial crisis with my newfound information. There was a hole in the fence, and I found it. I had been walking around in the pen my whole life and never saw the F*cking hole. I found the real instructions to a better life, not a gimmick weeknight wealth event at a convention center to trick me into paying for a program to make me rich. This was real shit.

Ongoing motivation comes from multiple places. I can see and interact with people here that are actually DOING it instead of trying to sell it to me. Watching my wife go to work every day for 15 bucks an hour and a sappy a$$ 401K, knowing that if I die right now, she won’t be ok. Watching my slowlane family and friends turn grey, grow duller, and struggle motivates me. And knowing that there are people that I can truly help when I figure it out, motivates me. My give back will be making more of me. I’m gonna bust more holes in the fence.

Josh Harmsen

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Oct 9, 2017
Florida, United States of America
Greetings,

I'm asking since I created 3 unsuccessful "business adventures" last year. This involved a p2p picture-sharing platform, and some extensive dropshipping stores. Obviously failure is a factor that tears on your motivation and even though I want to begin on another business, I'm for some reason lacking the motivation.

So, What kept you going when you went through failure?
And what initiatives did you take to keep the motivation?

I think one of the hardest things I’ve done over the years is learn how to play guitar. I started freshman year in high school and now I’m in my senior year of high school and I can recite Metallica solos off the top of my head. One of the biggest motivational factors I used was being inspired by famous guitarists. This could be used in a business term too. A good key factor to starting a business (and sticking with it) is finding the motivation and keeping it as closely your gut as you possibly can. Hopefully this helps!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What motivated YOU when you started out?

The hellacious idea of getting on a train at 6AM and getting home at 6PM, all while wearing a 3 piece polyester suit. So it was a fear-based (pain) appeal...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.