The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How confident were you in your idea when you started? How about a month later?

Idea threads

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
We all know that we will have days when there is no motivation... No feeling of progress.
Feeling like you're stuck while trying to convince yourself that your making the right decision about practically everything you do.

I am making a new product and I feel like it gets more and more complicated with every step forward. When some problems get solved the new ones arise looking even scarier as the ones before.
I follow a simple strategy of just ignoring that feeling but still it hits me deep where I don't want it. I've noticed that a lot of times this feeling of uncertainty comes when waiting or doing nothing to progress in the direction I want to go.

I made this thread to express my feelings and I would like to hear your experience when dealing with problems when something get complicated because of any reasons maybe you have to much/little work and you don't know what is the most important, maybe you don't have the right knowledge about the niche your working in...

How do you push through times when you're not confident about what you do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
I am making a new product and I feel like it gets more and more complicated with every step forward. When some problems get solved the new ones arise looking even scarier as the ones before.

If you are facing this problem, then so is everyone else in the same business. The ones who succeeded obviously found a way through, so that alone should give you hope. Entry is one of the commandments after all, remember?

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
We all know that we will have days when there is no motivation... No feeling of progress.
Feeling like you're stuck while trying to convince yourself that your making the right decision about practically everything you do.

I follow a simple strategy of just ignoring that feeling but still it hits me deep where I don't want it. I've noticed that a lot of times this feeling of uncertainty comes when waiting or doing nothing to progress in the direction I want to go.

I made this thread to express my feelings and I would like to hear your experience when dealing with problems when something get complicated because of any reasons maybe you have to much/little work and you don't know what is the most important, maybe you don't have the right knowledge about the niche your working in...

How do you push through times when you're not confident about what you do?
Lol, just keep swimming, just keep swimming ;)
Its sucks alot sometimes.
You push through with action, thats the only way. Motivation is fleeting.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
If you are facing this problem, then so is everyone else in the same business. The ones who succeeded obviously found a way through, so that alone should give you hope. Entry is one of the commandments after all, remember?
Entry yes! Thanks for that sometimes I remember but sometimes I forget and I begin to have doubts but for now each time I had them I pushed through and felt great.
Lol, just keep swimming, just keep swimming ;)
Its sucks alot sometimes.
You push through with action, thats the only way. Motivation is fleeting.
haha thanks for that.
There are bad times here and there but staying positive is key.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
5B8C932B-E915-43D2-A40D-AD75CF142BFA.jpeg
How are you tracking your efforts?
Are you spending time every single day working on the important 20% which will affect the other 80%? When I track my efforts I get a better idea of what I’ve accomplished which absolutely silences the emo part of my perfectionistic controlling little snarky girl mind that freaks out when I realize I haven’t built my empire yet.

Track. Your. Sh!t.

When you start realizing how far you’ve come you’ll feel better.

I have struggled with discipline all my life until the past 16 months. It wasn’t until I gave myself permission to hate other ppl’s systems and then disciplined myself to try out different processes that I caught on to what helps me stay in productive mode.

I tried todoist. I tried Trello. I tried Powersheets. I tried alarms. I tried accountability with friends. I tried a lot of things to figure out what made me have fun with scheduling and accomplishing goals rather than sink into the slough of despond.

From all those separate systems I took what worked for me and left the rest until I had a PERSONAL SYSTEM of discipline. I now rely on it every single day and adjust as needed every month.

Some people need vision boards on the wall behind their desk to stay motivated. Some people need to be away from social media to feel focused. I needed to stack my day with little sets of activity. I needed a daily, handwritten checklist. I needed to have learning time where I get to spend half a hour a day learning something really difficult - because for some bizarre reason that gives me tons of energy to go and tackle other things.

I hope you figure out what works for you. My best advice is to keep trying and tracking your own patterns of activity. Also, good luck on your endeavor!

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
Commitment to the end result comes first.

You may now know the how yet, but if you're committed, you'll find a way (trial and error, asking others with experience, etc).

From there, it takes courage, you won't have 100% assurance, it's a leap of faith. You have to be willing to be/feel stupid at times. But over time you'll develop more competence and that will build on your confidence, ultimately.

One pattern I've noticed is that I usually start out feeling inadequate in my knowledge when starting a new endeavor, but in a very short time period, I'm flabbergasted at how people who have been doing things for decades (and successfully) seem to not know about some of the basics that I picked up as a newbie.

I recently talked to a guy who is making over a $1million a year (profit), and it was all from inbound inquiries. He didn't know how to grow it, and had no idea that you could actually solicit for more business in the industry, assuming that the they would just contact you when they wanted more services. Basic stuff.

Most people don't have 5, 10, 20 years of experience--they have 1 year of experience repeated 20 times.

I also find that when I focus on a problem and finding a solution, I'm able to somehow stumble upon it, usually indirectly. That all comes from taking action and talking to lots of people.

Wherever you get stuck, find others and ask for help. The rest you'll figure out as you go.

palasmic

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 20, 2021
My father once said: When you're in business you're always in trouble.
I don't know, if it helps, but it takes the blame of us as a person.
Just deal with it and go on.

I don't like discipline (but everyone else tells me I am). What I really do is building good habits and as a result comes discipline.
"Atomics habits" and "Willpower doesn't work" are a good read.

When I've got a bigger problem, I let it go for some time and take a nap or go for a walk. Then mostly the solutions comes suddenly in my brain.
But it's hard to let it go - most of the time I want it so hard to solve, that nothing works and I'm frustrated and time goes by quickly...

..sorry for my english - I'm not a native speaker..

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
If you're confused, continue talking to a lot of people in your market, take note of which topics or words in particular got them to open up to you, and try to iterate that approach moving forward.

Whenever I'm stuck I just do that to help me move forward.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Just remember what my friends always remind me of --

The stronger cause you make, the more resistance you will create.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Some people just don't know how to quit.

Successful people do what others aren't willing to do.

Wolf93

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Nov 25, 2016
No feeling of progress.
Sales solve everything.
-Guy Kawasaki

Above quote is something every entrepreneur should paste on the wall.

STOP THINKING AND START MINTING.

IMO ' feeling of no progress' is directly linked to feedback from market and from your own self.

Start selling even if your product is not ready. Go and talk to your potential customers. If you already did talk to new ones.

On the FEELING part,

Feeling are like traffic signals. Not to be ignored.

Delve deeper into why you are feeling like this. Probably you will get lot of insights on where you really are making mistakes. Maybe you need to go into another direction with your business, life, people.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
View attachment 36556
How are you tracking your efforts?
Are you spending time every single day working on the important 20% which will affect the other 80%? When I track my efforts I get a better idea of what I’ve accomplished which absolutely silences the emo part of my perfectionistic controlling little snarky girl mind that freaks out when I realize I haven’t built my empire yet.

Track. Your. Sh!t.

When you start realizing how far you’ve come you’ll feel better.

I have struggled with discipline all my life until the past 16 months. It wasn’t until I gave myself permission to hate other ppl’s systems and then disciplined myself to try out different processes that I caught on to what helps me stay in productive mode.

I tried todoist. I tried Trello. I tried Powersheets. I tried alarms. I tried accountability with friends. I tried a lot of things to figure out what made me have fun with scheduling and accomplishing goals rather than sink into the slough of despond.

From all those separate systems I took what worked for me and left the rest until I had a PERSONAL SYSTEM of discipline. I now rely on it every single day and adjust as needed every month.

Some people need vision boards on the wall behind their desk to stay motivated. Some people need to be away from social media to feel focused. I needed to stack my day with little sets of activity. I needed a daily, handwritten checklist. I needed to have learning time where I get to spend half a hour a day learning something really difficult - because for some bizarre reason that gives me tons of energy to go and tackle other things.

I hope you figure out what works for you. My best advice is to keep trying and tracking your own patterns of activity. Also, good luck on your endeavor!
Noticed that I only track what I have to do now and it can get overwhelming fast. And I can say that it feels really good when I look back at where I was. I will have to mix it up not only think about what else and sometimes focus on what has been done already.
I have Trello installed and ready to use but still not using it. I like pen and paper to do this kind of stuff at least for now (its faster and I have a notepad always close to me and just like the feel of it)

And awesome that you found the right way!
Commitment to the end result comes first.

You may now know the how yet, but if you're committed, you'll find a way (trial and error, asking others with experience, etc).

From there, it takes courage, you won't have 100% assurance, it's a leap of faith. You have to be willing to be/feel stupid at times. But over time you'll develop more competence and that will build on your confidence, ultimately.

One pattern I've noticed is that I usually start out feeling inadequate in my knowledge when starting a new endeavor, but in a very short time period, I'm flabbergasted at how people who have been doing things for decades (and successfully) seem to not know about some of the basics that I picked up as a newbie.

I recently talked to a guy who is making over a $1million a year (profit), and it was all from inbound inquiries. He didn't know how to grow it, and had no idea that you could actually solicit for more business in the industry, assuming that the they would just contact you when they wanted more services. Basic stuff.

Most people don't have 5, 10, 20 years of experience--they have 1 year of experience repeated 20 times.

I also find that when I focus on a problem and finding a solution, I'm able to somehow stumble upon it, usually indirectly. That all comes from taking action and talking to lots of people.

Wherever you get stuck, find others and ask for help. The rest you'll figure out as you go.

I progress and think the best when I am with someone that knows more than I do and can answer any of my questions and actually understand the whole picture of what I'm trying to accomplish. Meetings like that, making stuff happen talking about what has to change, prices actually anything that has to do with the business.

My father once said: When you're in business you're always in trouble.
I don't know, if it helps, but it takes the blame of us as a person.
Just deal with it and go on.

I don't like discipline (but everyone else tells me I am). What I really do is building good habits and as a result comes discipline.
"Atomics habits" and "Willpower doesn't work" are a good read.

When I've got a bigger problem, I let it go for some time and take a nap or go for a walk. Then mostly the solutions comes suddenly in my brain.
But it's hard to let it go - most of the time I want it so hard to solve, that nothing works and I'm frustrated and time goes by quickly...

..sorry for my english - I'm not a native speaker..

Yes true and I think that every one us will have different way of dealing with something like that.
With me I usually start by trying to understand how and why I'm feeling the way I am.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
If you're confused, continue talking to a lot of people in your market, take note of which topics or words in particular got them to open up to you, and try to iterate that approach moving forward.

Whenever I'm stuck I just do that to help me move forward.
Interesting approach! I can see where this would be helpful.

Just remember what my friends always remind me of --

The stronger cause you make, the more resistance you will create.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Some people just don't know how to quit.

Successful people do what others aren't willing to do.

Nice, thanks for that.
I say similar stuff like that to myself every day I give a boost of sort.

Sales solve everything.
-Guy Kawasaki

Above quote is something every entrepreneur should paste on the wall.

STOP THINKING AND START MINTING.

IMO ' feeling of no progress' is directly linked to feedback from market and from your own self.

Start selling even if your product is not ready. Go and talk to your potential customers. If you already did talk to new ones.

On the FEELING part,

Feeling are like traffic signals. Not to be ignored.

Delve deeper into why you are feeling like this. Probably you will get lot of insights on where you really are making mistakes. Maybe you need to go into another direction with your business, life, people.

True. I'm getting close to creating a first smoke test with a website and some ads.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Noticed that I only track what I have to do now and it can get overwhelming fast. And I can say that it feels really good when I look back at where I was. I will have to mix it up not only think about what else and sometimes focus on what has been done already.
I have Trello installed and ready to use but still not using it. I like pen and paper to do this kind of stuff at least for now (its faster and I have a notepad always close to me and just like the feel of it)

And awesome that you found the right way!

I progress and think the best when I am with someone that knows more than I do and can answer any of my questions and actually understand the whole picture of what I'm trying to accomplish. Meetings like that, making stuff happen talking about what has to change, prices actually anything that has to do with the business.

Yes true and I think that every one us will have different way of dealing with something like that.
With me I usually start by trying to understand how and why I'm feeling the way I am.
Yes, I track the daily grind in a log. It's hard to see much progress as we go. But, what really helps me is a list I keep of major accomplishments and events. I have it going back for several years. In bad moments, I read it over and I feel better about my life and my work.

And I have a summary sheet of my gross cash flow for my mobile home park rental business pinned to my corkboard in my office. That summary sheet shows the monthly cash flow with yearly totals back to 2001. Why keep it front and center? My cash flow today is 7 times what it was when I took over that family business on 3/1/1999. For an old mobile home park, run by a "you're-just-a-girl" owner, that's not too bad!

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
This is why the "why" matters so much. I've stopped several projects because of the current realization you're now having. The big reason was because the projects didn't matter that much to me. I was basically money-chasing but didn't realize it.

Luckily I spotted this (after several years of making this mistake) and worked a lot on finding out my values and the mission I wanted to work toward.

At the end of the day, when you're tired and frustrated, this single thought is going to run through your head.

Why am I doing this?

If we don't have a good answer, the project is doomed.

I thought the answer: "because theres a need in the market" would be good enough, but it wasn't. Do I care about the market? Do I want to provide this solution? Is there a way to automate and scale the solution?

MJ's CENTS framework is a good one to use. I also recommend "The Values Factor" by John DeMartini to further figure out what you care about.

If we have a strong why, we can get through the hard parts.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This is why the "why" matters so much. I've stopped several projects because of the current realization you're now having. The big reason was because the projects didn't matter that much to me. I was basically money-chasing but didn't realize it.

Luckily I spotted this (after several years of making this mistake) and worked a lot on finding out my values and the mission I wanted to work toward.

At the end of the day, when you're tired and frustrated, this single thought is going to run through your head.

Why am I doing this?

If we don't have a good answer, the project is doomed.

I thought the answer: "because theres a need in the market" would be good enough, but it wasn't. Do I care about the market? Do I want to provide this solution? Is there a way to automate and scale the solution?

MJ's CENTS framework is a good one to use. I also recommend "The Values Factor" by John DeMartini to further figure out what you care about.

If we have a strong why, we can get through the hard parts.
I don't do things that I don't give a flip about -- except the dishes -- and I do care about living in a clean space...

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.